Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 9/8

Just dropping by. Hardly any sleep last night so I was dragging through getting my grandson ready for school picture day and off to school. I tried to nap when I got home, but felt rather anxious about things coming up and dozed for maybe 10 minutes. I have to go get gas and go to PT and then I may have an hour before I go back to get my grandson. I have my doctors appointment tomorrow morning. Hoping the storms predicted are not bad. They are supposed to hit tomorrow when I am picking my grandson up and last through Friday.
I will try to get back here later. Still having a lot of pain and my allergies are awful.

Today I did Rockout Knockout timesaver for 43 minutes and 290 calories burned. My average heart rate was 125 and maximum heart rate was 150. I went to WW then to a county office to renew my car tags. Monday I got the emissions test done. I procrastinated on these tasks, then needed to get them all completed this week before my birthday.

Deb, that’s an amazing number of steps for yesterday. I’m sure that you can’t wait to have the plumbing work done.

Judy, sorry to hear that you are having allergy problems. I hope that you are better today. I’ve been fortunate so far with only minor issues.

Diane Sue, get some rest and feel better soon.

Lori, I didn’t get grandfathered in on Suzanne’s lowest price, so I did not renew. I’m glad that she’s adding new content again.

Valerie, I made the low carb seeded bread and it’s cooling now. I ate a small sample and I really like it. It’s pricey in terms of WW points, but I can already tell that a small slice will satisfy me. That’s the benefit of the fat, fiber, and protein .

Have a great day everyone.

Deb we have talked to the manufacturer any times and complained about the service we get at this local place, and also gotten more info on what we need to do. they are better, but its a long drive to Kelowna B.C. I am not sure if they do service there or not, but its definitely not close. Hope you get thet plumbing project done ASAP. do you have a shop vac? they are great for vacuuming up smaller amounts of water. most tanks will hold a couple gallons.
I think you'll be surprised at how the seeds mesh into the bread, like the chia seeds. I didn't think I would like those but they are more like poppy seeds and none of the gelatinous texture. anyway, I think if you use the same total amount of "flour" ingredients, and close to the total amount of seed mixture, I think it will work fine. some of the appeal is visual too, with different shapes and colors. Carolyn, did you use chia seeds?
its a nice toasty seedy mix but not low calorie especially if you adorn it with butter, PB or honey. Deb, WHOLE lotta steps. I was pleased with how this one turned out.

we worked on replacing and fortifying our snow fences today. put up a metal fence and will put plastic fencing in front of it. hopefully the metal will keep the plastic from shredding in the wind. a fair amount of work outside but not a good weather day, cold and windy.

Judy do any of the 24 hr allergy meds help? I don't need them often and I don't like to take them but when I start sneezing and itchy throat, they help a lot. one every other day instead of daily, or take for a few days daily, and then go to every other day. something like that. or take a half pill a day. I take minimum to relieve sxs because I dont like how I feel on them, but its better than without. diane sue, same for you? I would happily drink paint remover if it relieved allergy sxs.

Last edited:
Valerie-I've used claritin and allegra off and on. I might try zyrtec and see how that works. Allegra definitely doesn't make me drowsy so it's been the one I use the most. Claritin can make me feel funny so I don't use it as much anymore. I only use benadryl when I'm having bad allergy attack and am totally miserable.

The shoulder improved a lot after the PT worked on me. She found spots in the neck area that were really sore and along my spine. Once she worked them and then worked on loosening up the neck area the pain let up on the shoulder. It has been pretty good since. She now thinks since that was the case we should try not irritating the nerve in the shoulder and arm and concentrate on the neck for awhile. She is putting out a request for more time to the physician. I see him tomorrow and will talk to him about it. I can't type long. I already feel my shoulder reacting to it.

Deb, my husband was trying to do Keto, but it was too hard to get him truly Keto. Particularly with lunch at work. He has done low carb in the past and had great results, but he won't eat most vegetables. So green beans was his staple veggie. By the time he was done he did not want to see green beans for several years. So, we try to do more of a paleo approach. He has a problem with going out to eat and snacks though. It only works when he has his mind set.

Judy, Allegra is the only one I can tolerate and still I don't feel right with it. I took a children's Zertec a couple of days ago because my allergies were so bad, and I felt so awful afterward. Even the next morning. I just do not tolerate most allergy meds. I use the natural supplements like Rhinallergy and Histaminum from Boiron and they help some. You have to take those for awhile before they start working.

Carolyn, we do not have to do the emissions test here. I remember doing that in CA though.

Valerie, most of the time when I make a special bread or something, I enjoy it without toppings. All of the talk about the seed bread made me hungry for bread so I had some Ezekial bread grilled with some swiss cheese and avocado.

Benadryl puts me to sleep so I've used Allegra, Claritin, or the generic equivalents. I don't get allergy sxs often but I sympathize because it's miserable. ragweed is not a problem for me but grass and some unknown plants that bloom in the mountains on the east side of the Cascades are very bad. mostly I have problems with cultivated grass so I stay away from golf courses, lush lawns.
I tried Keto or as we called it back then, the Adkins diet. it was awful. if I ate even lettuce I went out of ketosis, and I never felt worse in my life. and hungry!. OMG. and of course I lost no weight. we have been watching the survival challenges lately, like Alone, or Naked and Afraid. it is interesting that the women will lose maybe 10 to 15 lbs and during the same time frame with the same "food" or lack of it, the men will lose 25 to 35 lbs. genetics are so unfair.
carolyn, did you think the batter seemed thin at first, but after sitting for 10 min it thickened up? I re read it to make sure I didn't make a mistake but it baked up beautifully. too funny, I was in love with avocado toast and suddenly I had enough and have not eaten it in a month now. avocados were not very good, didn't ripen right.

Last edited:
Today I did X Train Bis and Tris for 50 minutes and 204 calories burned. Average heart rate was 107 and maximum heart rate was 148.

Valerie, I didn’t find that my batter was thin after mixing it up. I didn’t let it sit at all.

Hello to everyone and have a wonderful day.

Mountain biked today for about 2 hours 15 min and 7 miles. the first places we went were too busy with ATVs and really muddy so crossed them off the potential list & went back to a place closer to home that weve ridden before. a wildlife refuge area but there were cows and a bull grazing in there so we didn't stay, left in a big hurry, and rode up another road to a viewpoint passing quite a few piles of fresh bear poop. very brushy along there with some kind of bushy tree with berries, either some kind of cherry or cascara, fruit with pits. never saw a bear but clearly a bear was using the area so we didn't stay there either.

definitely watching the debate tonight so need to get dinner going and a shower done. we ate having a visit from our neighbors in WA tomorrow morning. they went to the Dakotas and are stopping by to see our house.

I went to my arthritis doctor and he has me continuing PT and I am getting two mri's done Monday. One of the neck and one of the shoulder. I was surprised they got insurance approval that fast.

Carolyn, nice work on X Train. I always find it interesting how a recipe will turn out differently for two different people. I had a snickerdoodle recipe that I made all of the time. One of my daughters made it and it turned out like mine. The other never did have them come out right. Even when I stood over her and made sure everything was done correctly. Weird.

Valerie, I think the problem with Adkins and the Low Carb movement is they let people eat so much fat. Dr Axe has a Keto plan and some of the Paleo proponents still have protein and fats in moderation and lots of veggies involved. It worries me as far as cholesterol. I guess if one stuck with olive oil and left dairy alone they might do okay with it. Wise move to not stay in that area. I wouldn't want to mess with a bull or bears.

Good morning,

No workouts to report.

Diane Sue, sorry you are not sleeping well. It is not surprising with all the appointments, tests etc that you have been having recently. Very stressful, as well as not feeling well. Good that the PT person was able to work on the spots that helped the pain. Good that you are getting the MRI's. That should tell more about what is going on.

Carolyn, kudos to you for sticking with WW and going to meetings. Did you get the email from the NG's on the program they are offering about crushing cravings? It is on a special sale right now, and I am tempted to try it. It is a self directed thing, where they provide all the materials and you follow it on your own. I wish I had more info on what they provide.

Valerie, that's too bad that the manufacturer cannot assist in getting it fixed once and for all. Yes, we have a shop vac that supposedly is for wet or dry cleaning, however, John is reluctant for some reason to use it for water. If I make the bread, I will try to get a very small quantity of chia seeds to use, since I ended up tossing the large bottle/jar of the last once I bought, not sure how long they last.

Hi to Lori & Judy,

Take care,

Deb we don't know if the manufacturer puts pressure on service outlets. DH has talked to manufacturer. got an idea of what should be done. it was all done, but just very sloppy as far as we can tell. will deal with it in a few weeks.

we use our shop vac mostly for cleaning up water if it gets where it shouldn't be. like when we drain the hot tub, we vacuum the last few cups. don't want to put a lid on with a few cups sitting in the bottom. we have a small amount of water collecting in our crawl space here, and just had a French drain put in to hopefully eliminate it, but a shop vac for a few gallons of water is way better than towels. puts it right into a container to carry out.

I dont know how long chia seeds last either but I have one of those giant bags. probably will never use them all but I like this bread. If I make it 100x I will use up the chia! I bought sunflower and flax seed for the bread
in small bags. no problem using them. I would not buy a ton of chia again.
I liked WW but found that all the time tracking made me think of food constantly. I am happy I used it, but do better if I'm not reminded of food constantly. I still eat using their principles.

I don't do well with medical appts looming. I stress about it ridiculously! can't sleep, get anxious. Diane sue hope your scans help to figure out what the problem is.

the road we used goes uphill along a creek. very dense. the bush/trees are choke cherries. we ripped off a small branch and brought it back to identify. the cherries are a bird and bear magnet. you can make jelly with them too. I don't use much jelly but people rave about it. the cherries are bitter/sour and have big pits. they grow all over here. the bull ( think it was a bull) looked like a texas longhorn. yep, we beat feet getting out of there. I think both males and females have long horns so we saw horns and it coming toward us, jumped back on our bikes.

Today I did Tabatacise, tabatas 1-3 plus Core 1. Tabatacise was 27 minutes and 216 calories burned. Average heart rate was 135 and maximum heart rate was 158. The core and stretch was 15 minutes and 62 calories burned.

Deb, I did get the NG’s email, but I’m not planning on doing the program. I feel that I have a good handle on cravings using the many strategies that I have learned from WW. I have done three NG programs and I review the materials periodically to keep the information fresh in my mind.

Valerie, most people benefit greatly from tracking, myself included, but I can understand if it’s not for you. I have a friend who attends meetings and is at goal, but she never tracks.

Diane Sue, I hope that you are feeling better today.

Hello to Lori and Judy.

Today has been miserable and painful. It was raining this morning and I left at 6:40 to take my grandson to school and just totally drove to far past my turn till I realized there was lots of road work and I was not where I should be. I turned off and then got disoriented. Google maps kept trying to send me back the opposite direction I felt I should go(I was correct). It wanted me to go back 5 miles and get on the turnpike. Finally I called my husband and he looked up the streets I was on and helped. I was just about on the right track by then. Still got him there by 8 and he had 5 minutes till school started. Just too much pain, the rain, foggy car windows. I came towards home and stopped at CVS to pick up some rapid Tylenol. I felt I should try that as my blood pressure was up quite a bit from where it usually is when I went to my doctor. Wondered if the Advil was doing that. Then I had to fill up with gas and came home and used heat and did my pt exercises other than the couple of rotator ones with weight which I thought would hurt. Iced and heat all day other than going back to the school.
I also noticed that the last few days I have eaten ezekial bread and Daves seed bread and I have had the worst stomach issues. I forgot that it does affect me and also when I originally stopped eating many grains I got rid of my migraines.

Carolyn, I am always going back and reviewing information that I use. I Went back over anti inflammatory info and the supplements I use that Arthritis Foundation has. I wanted to double check what alters blood pressure and can increase it. It appears glucosamine does. I wanted to be sure I was not doing something I shouldn't.

Valerie, I wonder if you could freeze chia seed. I know you probably wouldn't want it to have a lot of moisture though. I would look it up and see how long it keeps. I do dread appointments and generally try to get them out of the way all at once. I am dreading the MRI because I am worried about the pain while I lie there through two of them trying to be still. I am driving myself, so don't want something to relax. Not sure that would make a difference in the pain anyway.

Deb, we always have a shop vac and there is no problem using them for wet clean up. They usually have instructions for that.

I did Revd up rumble and the ab workout. plus some pushups.

I have not frozen the chia. nuts I freeze, but usually not seeds. I could, lots of room in freezer.

diane sue do you have a home blood pressure cuff? take readings at home and record them, date and time, and give to your doc. a frustrating drive like that would have most people elevated but if your home readings are normal, they will not push you onto meds.

Diane Sue-I'm sorry you had such a bad day. I hope you feel better tomorrow.
I agree with Valerie about having a blood pressure cuff at home. Our doctor said he is more concerned with blood pressure readings at home than at his office.

Today’s workout was X Train Chest Back and Shoulders. My time was 58 minutes with 304 calories burned. My average heart rate was 117 and maximum heart rate was 159.

Diane Sue, I’m so sorry that you had such a terrible day yesterday. Rain and fog makes driving very difficult even without the pain. It’s good that you are having the MRI soon.

Hello to Deb, Valerie, Lori, and Judy. Have a wonderful day everyone.

we did a hike this morning, really hard. we went only part way but never planned to do the whole thing. its a big mountain! very steep and the elevation killed me. some trips I acclimate quickly, but not this time. so about 4 hrs 15 min round trip probably a little more than 2 miles each way. it was warm , windy, and the only wildlife was cows. I don't like hiking in places cows have been. there are lots of elk... and I've seen bears here, but today it was only cows.

I dont think there is anything worse than a stressful drive in bad conditions to get BP elevated, especially when on a deadline to get somewhere by a certain time. DH monitors his at home because he is always high when he is at an office, but well controlled the rest of the time, but the only way you know is monitor it yourself. Omron is a good brand.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.