Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 9/8

Good afternoon! Today is my rest day. Well, football season has officially started and my husband is all in. We went to church this morning then he rushed off for lunch and game watching with a friend. I’m doing some baking using a new recipe. I can freeze the results or send it to a football get together .

Deb, thanks for starting the thread this morning. I hope you enjoy your day.

Diane Sue, Fit Tower Advanced Legs, Glutes, and Core sounds like a good choice for yesterday. I intended to put the flours in the freezer, but I forgot about them. I was trying a few gluten free recipes that mixed several flours together to make an “all purpose baking flour”. The recipes that I tried were pretty good.

Valerie, I printed the Eating Well recipe and I plan to try it soon. I’m not a fan of butter on bread and prefer a nice crisp toast.

Judy, I hope that you have a day off soon. I know what Home Depot is like on the weekends and I hate to go there on those days. Unfortunately, that is the time that there is most likely to be someone around to offer assistance. I have found that to be true for many stores lately.

Hello to Lori.

We are driving today so a total sit-on -the -butt day. Been driving 8 hours already with another 3.5 to go. Mostly cloudy and showery much better than bright sunshine .

Carolyn I enjoy it plain. it is nuttyseedy and not sweet. DH didn’t like it at all but he likes sweets more than I. I followed exactly excepting 1/4 cup WW flour for the coconut flour. It’s a bit high in calories. But filling

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I need to catch up on posting my workouts. I've been trying to choose some from Cathe's September Rotation. Thursday I did an XTrain Bi's & Tri's premix, Friday I did an XTrain Cardio Leg Blast Premix, yesterday I did a short Peloton ride and this morning I did RWH Lift It HiiT It Legs. I was off work today and have the next 3 days off. I am really looking forward to getting some things done at home and getting some workouts in.

Deb-I hope the show is going well today.

Diane Sue-I get suspicious of some of the tests that doctors order, especially if it seems they might have a financial reason for ordering the tests. Yes, the Policosanol is from sugar cane. For now I think I will keep taking it but at some point I might go off of it and see if it makes a difference.

Carolyn-I hope you are having a good rest day. Yes, Home Depot can be pretty rough on weekends. I'm not really looking forward to seeing what the Christmas season is like there. I'm scheduling off as many days as I can and hopefully that will help make this seem more like the part time job that it was supposed to be :)

Valerie-That is a lot of driving. I hope you have a good trip!

Hi to Lori!

Judy

Good evening ladies,

Had a great workout week doing the usual..LEKFit, BBS and some barre. The LEKfit workouts has weight intervals that work both upper and lower. When I add on a BBS or Barre I try and alternate between upper and lower to really work those muscles.

Looks like everyone one had some great workouts this week..(even if it was Home Depot steps!).

Diane Sue..glad to read your heart test came back ok. But so sorry that you are still have terrible pain. PT can get expensive depending on your copay.

Deb...since we had our flood in the basement We are very aware of what is on the floor and try and raise a bit. How did your treadmill make out ok? Hope ok.

Carolyn...glad Dorian did not affect your area. Such a long drawn out storm. So sad for the Bahamas. I hear you about Football season. Our weekends are based on what games my husband needs to watch! I am a Pat’s fan but my world does not revolve around them.

Valerie...have a great drive!

Judy...great to have the 3 days off! Been a while since I did an Xtrain workout. I loved that program. Awesome level with your cholesterol!!!!

Have a great night all!

Good morning,

Well another dog show/trial in the bag. Lots of work for this one. I was so exhausted when we got home yesterday. AT least there wasn;t the stress of also showing a dog. Neither is ready to show at this time. I have an appointment with my new Gastro -DR. Mine retired, and this is supposed to be a "meet & greet" your new DR, and to see if all is ok. I hemmed and hawed about going. Not just the $50 copay, but what for? We'll see.

Carolyn, yep, football season started. While at the arena, they had some games on the big TV out in the common area. I am glad John is not really that into it.

Valerie, back to Montana so soon? those recipes sound interesting. I think I would eliminate one of the seeds in the first one though. another negative I think happens on cruises, when you get off to go touring or whatever, at least on the Mexican cruise we were on, it seems like the passengers think this is a pass to get blitzed! We had a guy that had to be taken back by ambulance to the ship from a local bar in Mazatlán. Dumb and so embarrassing.

Judy, nice job on those x-Train workouts and rides!

Lori, those sound like really great workouts! Believe it or not, I have still not tested the treadmill. It seems to be an unconscious- avoidance or something I keep forgetting to do it.

Take care,

we got here mostly uneventfully. guess what..... skylight is not working right. it pops upward and doesn't latch right since one of the two latches is not right, and we ended up duct taping it in place halfway here. the marvels of duct tape. nothing to do but call the manufacturer and log our problem as the install is not correct or the part is defective. we will have to go deal with the idiots again. it's wet here right now so we will lock it down and muddle thru. so aggravating when no one apparently knows what they're doing. at all!

Deb all the seeds pretty much blend together. if you don't have one, use more of another or skip. I had all of them, was just missing coconut flour. no one seed is that distinctive. except maybe pumpkin and sunflower because they are larger, and the small seeds kind of disappear into the bread. if you don't have flax or chia seeds, just skip or use a little more flax and sesame. if I spread anything on this bread it would be peanut butter, almond butter. I like the seedy crunchy texture. I thought the first one sounded good until I read the serving size. If I were diabetic and watching portion size, I would skip anything so likely to get "over served".

yet another reason why being on a cruise with a bunch of people you don't know could be trying. it sounds like there is food everywhere all the time. everyone seems to come back 5 lbs heavier from sitting on deck chairs and eating 6 meals a day.
deb if you are putting in a claim on homeowners you should probably check the treadmill. it might work fine anyway.

Judy I love the x-train series. I think I used that one more than any other.

neither of us is a big football fan. we might watch seahawks occasionally when its getting to playoffs but it sure does overrun the television choices. .

Today’s workout was ICE Bootcamp Circuit plus Icy Core 1. Total time was 57 minutes with 304 calories burned. My average heart rate was 116 and maximum heart rate was 150.

Lori, that’s great that you are keeping up the Lekfit and BBS workouts. I like to see the highlights of a football game, but I rarely sit and watch one. It depends on what teams are playing.

Judy, nice job with the X Train workouts and RWH Legs. I’m sure that Christmas shopping will be crazy at HD.

Deb, the dog show sounds like fun, even though it was hard work. It might be good to meet your new Gastro doctor when you aren’t having a major problem. It will give him a chance to get to know you.

Valerie, that’s unbelievable that the skylight is still not working properly.

Waving hello to Diane Sue.

it is a simple clamp that holds down the sides of the skylight down from the inside but seems to be installed crooked or something because one side clamps securely, the other side barely catches the edges, so it pops off when the camper vibrates during driving. DH talked to the manufacturer and also the service place but it will be a few weeks before we will be back. we are disgusted with the work done by this place. they are sloppy. they are the only choice.
taking day off today. driving it all in one day is exhausting but it is also the altitude change that is tiring. sleeping is hard the first few nights.

Good evening ladies,

Today was my usual Monday rest day. I still get up my usual time when I do not work out. My husband the other day asked why? Told him this is TimTim’s (our 14 year old cat) love time! Seriously, the cat knows when I wake up and greets me every morning then goes to “our” chair. I get my coffee and we watch the news while she is loving life on my lap for 30 mins. How could I let her down? Only when I absolutely need to sleep in I will - but still feel guilty about my cat! Lol!!

Deb...my treadmill bed was completely submerged with water. Once it dried out it worked fine and I still have it to this day. Flood was 11 years ago. Those copays are tough. My primary care just retired and now my new one is so young! I am certainly old enough to be her mother. I guess that is just me getting old!

Valerie...lol! Yup the many uses of duct tape...from a hikers sandle to a skylight window! Hope you can get it fixed soon.

Carolyn...sounds like I always do the same workouts but they are always so different. I have cut down on the number of streaming sites I use to just 3 and really want to get to only 2. BBS has a new Live workout everyday, which is amazing. These are the workouts I usually always do. My Suzanne Bowen’s annual subscription expires on the 21st. I only recently started with her workouts again, so I most likely will renew. Still undecided though. Oh the decisions! I will watch the Pats but that is pretty much it.

Hi to Diane Sue and Judy!

Have a great night!!

Today I had PT again. She really does know how to pinpoint those trigger spots. It hurts but feels better today after she was done. I told her every time it hurt and she would work to loosen up the spot and then did some major stretching which hurt, but she would do it and then back off a bit and repeat then move to another area. I asked what she thought the problem was and she said I have really tight spots that even come in around the back, up under the arm that is pushing up on the shoulder and is causing the nerve that runs down to my elbow from the shoulder. She held down my shoulder where it hurt while she moved my arm around and stretched it after working on my lat area and the tight knot just below my neck. I wish I could read what they all typing they do on the computer between working and after working with patients. I mentioned the doctor and the 4 weeks, and she said it usually takes longer than that. I go back to her on Wed and then Thursday is my doctor appointment. I think I will set the appointments up for next week, but still see the doctor and see what he says. I don't know how long insurance will cover the PT or if I need him to authorize more.
On a plus, my doctor called today and told me the thyroid scan showed the same results that the others I have had the past few years so I am clear for now. She also asked me if I had heard about the echo. She seemed a bit surprised. I figured they would have said something to my doctor who sent me there first.

Carolyn, this is the second time I have used the Fit Tower workout and I don't need to leave out too much of it. If I had more time I would pull out turbo barre and skip the upper part. I have purchased a paleo flour that had pecan, almond, walnut, and coconut flour blend in it. I am not a fan of cooking with coconut flour. It absorbs extra liquid and I think is not the best texture for baked goods. It depends on what you are using it for. I have made some keto biscuits for my husband using it though and they were okay. Those flours really add up a lot of fat calories. I don't watch the football games. My husband does and just bought a package deal for the Sooners to be able to watch OU play all of their games. It was a steep price for the one or buy a year of OU sports channel. It was a bit irritating because Roku has the app, but nothing happens when you click it. We had to stream from the laptop.

Valerie, I hate long road trips. I hate driving anyway. I am sure there is adjustments with the change. The brownies probably turned out better with the whole wheat flour than coconut flour anyway. They over feed people at those all inclusive resorts as well. Drinks flowing constantly, in between buffets set out and then the meals. Funny, we would get up and walk on the beach and go to breakfast and most people were not even there for breakfast. I think they partied all night. You go to bed and you could still hear the beat of the music and people. Not all that restful. I guess probably because one of our trips my husband wanted a beach front room. How frustrating with your skylight. I don't suppose there is another city you could take it too. I guess they would want to keep it and not just do the repair then and there though. I probably would have been more inclined to keep working on my shoulder myself, except it kept hurting bad and when I went in to the Arthritis doctor I just thought maybe I should bring it up to him while I was there. That is what prompted the PT. I may have been able to do a lot of it myself. I have sure watched enough PT dvds. Funny, some of the moves are things I have just done before they even showed me, just because it made it feel better. The one that I had today is more aggressive with it, but seems to get some results out of it. Sometimes it brings pain though. I went and looked at all of their backgrounds and she has the most education and background with her masters and other work she has done. She seems to know what to check for. I have not lost range of motion. I just have a sticking point on the way up of pain and I feel it strongly if I try to reach out for something or back behind me really hurts. Like reaching into the backseat to hand my grandson something. So, we know it is not a torn rotator cuff.

Judy, I bet you are looking forward to these days off. You do a good job of keeping up with workouts and working. It would be interesting to see if your results remain without the supplement.

Lori, I feel the same way with Gertie. I have felt so guilty this week and having to be gone so much. She tries sitting in the right places for her usual feeding, then upstairs for brushing, filing, and petting then dental chew, then play time. I feel bad when she seems confused. She has had days where she disappears and I go looking for her and she is waiting in the workout room for the morning stuff she is not getting. I have to get up at 5:30 run to the bath and out the door with my grandson at 7:50 and no later. So, no morning time with Gertie. Today I came in and she followed me upstairs and so I spent some time with her before I had to go to PT. We will have to get our routine back right. She didn't even bother to come downstairs from lying guard over my grandson to eat or go outside till I made her come down this morning.

Deb, that is interesting that you have to pay an office visit to meet and greet your new gastro doctor. Can't he just look at your files and know what is going on? I never heard of something like that. I suppose I would be holding off on the treadmill myself, just wanting to make sure it had plenty of drying out time and not wanting to find it is ruined. Valerie is right though if you do an insurance claim you might want to know.

Good morning,

No workout to report. Met the new Gastro-DR yesterday. He seems nice, and is very young ( I don't think beyond 40)..so no chance of him retiring soon..LOL. He seemed impressed that I was not on any prescription drugs.

Valerie, so frustrating about the skylight! Why are things so difficult to get done right nowadays? Yeah, I would skip chia, and my flax is ground, not seeds. does that make a difference? We checked with our insurance company....no flood coverage. We never added the rider, or some such nonsense. Yes, overeating is the big thing on cruised. There were 7 meals offered on the one we were on

Carolyn, nice job on ICE Boot camp. I did not look at this month's rotation but assume you are loosely following it.

Lori, completely understand TimTim's time in the chair with you in the morning. We do the same with both dogs, coffee, for an hour before John has to get ready for work. Such a routine, we do it even on weekends. LOL on your primary being so young. :). Good to have someone with "new" knowledge, but I miss the DR's that have those years of experience to use as well. I did buy new puzzle mats, so will have to try out the treadmill soon. Good for you for sticking with those streaming sites! I guess Suzanne Bowen’s is back up and running? Wasn't she the one that dropped out for a while?

Diane Sue, it sounds like the PT person is getting to the root of the problem. I was surprised when they told me it may take 6 months for my hip...it was actually longer than that. Good news on they thyroid scan. You mentioned that your husband is on the KETO eating plan? Is it difficult for him to follow? Did he join some sort of program? Poor Gertie, out of sorts with the routine changing. Our dogs are the same way.

Judy, hope you are enjoying your days off!

Take care,

Deb I made this bread only once so I am guessing here. IMO flax meal would act more like flour than unground seeds. it would substitute for the coconut flour you probably don't have. all the seeds make it crunchy. I'm so-so on chia seeds by themselves, but they help hold the bread together because they make the 'gel" texture when wet. if I were you, I'd buy a small package of flax seeds or increase the amounts of other seeds so the proportion is similar. Does your store have a Bobs Red Mill section? our stores have a separate section usually in the baking aisle with small bags of all kinds of different flours, seeds, grains. I bought a small ($3.00) bag of flax seeds. I already had sesame seeds, almond flour, pumpkin and sunflower seeds. I don't like to buy big bags of odd ingredients for things I've never tried before. that's how I had almond flour! bought for an apple dessert that didn't turn out well.
ETA I am having a slice of seed bread... the texture is a little crumbly but holds together enough to slice it. gluten is what gets stretchy and holds breads together, and only 1/4 cup of wheat flour in this. the chia seeds seem like poppy seeds, nothing at all like any other chia uses I have tried.

"Bobs" is an Oregon based company. I like their products and have seen them even in the Midwest but I don't know if they are national distribution. they have a huge variety. or try in the bulk food section of your store? a good place to buy small amounts of unusual things.

Medicine is changing for sure. people are retiring earlier for many reasons. work pressures, being forced to work in loud, large, group common areas without quiet office space, electronic medical records that makes things easier and harder at the same time. a lot of older people can't type well whereas young people do it in their sleep. its creepy getting used to really young people. so many foreign medical school graduates. all the new people seem to be from other countries.

we are so frustrated with the camper repair. its not a do it yourself project. no excuse for doing such a sloppy job. we think they will have to pull this one out and reposition it correctly. since it seems to be mounted slightly crooked.

we were going to ride this morning but now have a landscaper coming to fix a drainage problem. I am nervous about this, I think we should have the utility lines marked first because its along the side where all lines come in. DH went ahead and scheduled this.

Last edited:
Today I did a timesaver premix from Gym Style Legs that was the standing segment only. My time was 36 minutes with 175 calories burned. Average heart rate was 114 and maximum heart rate was 150. I had to take my car in for service and didn’t have much time for the workout. I ended up needing rear brakes also, so I was there for a long time.

Diane Sue, the PT seems to be doing a good job with finding your trigger spots. I hope that you are approved for more sessions. The flours that I used were not nut flours. I used quinoa flour, amaranth flour, and sorghum flour. This cookbook author makes an all purpose baking flour using different proportions of these. I tried a few paleo baking recipes that used almond butter and coconut flour, but I didn’t like the high fat content of those.

Deb, it seems that the new doctors are all very young! My gyn retired and I have an upcoming appointment with the doctor who took over her patients. She seems so young that I wanted to change my appointment. I decided that I need to give her a chance. I don’t think that ground flax would be the same at all in the recipe. Have you ever bought bread with seeds from the grocery store or bakery? They usually have a similar combination of seeds, including chia and flax. Yes, I’m doing the September rotation.

Valerie, Bob’s Red Mill products are available nationally. I buy them all the time.

Lori, I had an email from SB last week that said she had added some new workouts to her site. It was an invitation to subscribe again with a slight discount, but I’m not interested in doing that.

Hello to Judy.

I did stacked upper body and the ab workout.
we got our drainage re-done this morning . with heavy rain tomorrow, we will see if it works. the landscaper was careful and hand dug the areas near the utility lines, a big relief to both of us.
carolyn that is good to know about Bobs. I used to shop at the mill itself long ago, mid '80's, when it was small and just ( I think) starting out. I lived in southwest WA at the time and found it was a great place to get so many things. good to know they are now national. I always liked their products. many times companies use different brand names for the east and west coast. I usually buy seed bread for regular bread, Franz or Daves. Love the seeds!

Valerie, I love Dave’s Killer Bread. Lately I’ve been buying a seeded bread from the Publix bakery that is organic and made in the store. They also make a sprouted grain bread that I like.

Good evening ladies,

This morning was a SB advanced lower and a BBS bounce with weight intervals. Total time was about 45 mins.

Diane Sue...it is amazing when the PT person knows exactly what to do. Sounds like she is getting to the root of things. I love Gertie - so cute! Animals have their routines don’t they. That is exactly how I feel when I see TimTim waiting for me and I do not have time for her. She seems so confused and sad. Breaks my heart.

Deb...so nice you you spend that time with your doggies. My cat really looks forward to our time. It really is so adorable. TimTim is actually my son’s cat. She use to follow him every morning to the bathroom and wait on the vanity while he showered. Every day she did this. We kept her here when he moved for school and I took over his role. He pretty much considers her my cat now. :rolleyes: . On a different note, on days GiGi is not at daycare I play soothing classical music for her. We have issues!! Lol! Thinking the treadmill will be fine. Good you bought new mats. Yes Suzanne seems to be back on the map again.

Valerie...I buy some Bob’s Red Mill products on amazon. Love the items I have used. Fingers crossed on the drainage! I love seeded bread!!!!!

Carolyn....omg yes they are all so young!! My last two I swear were in their early 30’s!! Yes Suzanne is back and posted 6 or more new workouts. I buy her annual membership because it is so cheap and mine expires 9/21, so need to decide if I want to keep. I am grandfathered in at a low price so not sure if I want to give this up - if she is back on track again.

Hi to Judy!!

Have a great night all!

Hi Everyone,

My 3 days off hasn't gone as planned. My allergies started acting up Sunday night and I felt like I was getting a sinus infection. Monday I did the new KCM workouts and a 15 minute Peloton ride but I was dragging and did not feel good at all. I was able to get in to see my ENT yesterday but spent an hour in the waiting room as they were so busy. He doesn't think I have a sinus infection but he gave me a medrol dose pack for my allergies. Ragweed is really bad here now so I'm sure that is the culprit. Yesterday was a total rest day. I'm starting to feel a little better so I will try to do a short workout today. I go back to work tomorrow afternoon (2-8 pm shift). I may call in sick if I don't feel a lot better.

Deb-That's nice that you have quality time with your dogs. I bet they love that! We do the same with our kitties in the morning. I hope your treadmill is ok.

Diane Sue-That's great that your thyroid scan was clear. Poor Gertie :( Chino and Shadow are the same with my new work routine. I feel guilty for leaving them for so many hours.

Valerie-I love the XTrain series too! I should do another XTrain rotation. Definitely one of Cathe's best series!
Our old doctor retired last year. He was in his late 70's and for the last few years he was having a lot of trouble with the new computer system he had to use. Most of our visits were spent with him trying to type on his laptop and mumbling about how much he hated the new system. Our new doctor is very young, only 33. He seems like a good doctor, and is very professional. It's quite a change though, going from someone in his 70's to someone in his 30's.

Carolyn-Nice job with Gym Style Legs! That sounds like a good premix! My gyn is my age so probably won't be retiring too soon. There are a few younger doctors in that practice and I don't think I would be comfortable going to them.

Lori-Great workouts! I saw that SB was adding more workouts to her site. I hope she is ok and recovered from whatever she was going through. That's so sweet about TimTim. I love having quality time with our kitties in the morning. We always have a radio on with classical music for them when we aren't home. When I went back to work we installed 3 nest cameras so we can keep an eye on them while we are gone. They usually sleep most of the day, but it's nice to be able to see them and know they are ok. I think we have issues too, lol!

judy that is exactly what has driven a lot of older docs to retire. even people with decent computer skills get frustrated with having to record everything themselves instead of dictating and having it transcribed by a transcriptionist. there are competing software systems. DH went thru that in his last couple years. a lot of time spent learning new software, and suddenly the business people in charge decide to change to another software program and overnight it all changes with little time to adjust on something you need to deal with for every single person every day. then the different software may not mesh with previous software, or with what other offices are using. instead of spending energy on patients and what is right and wrong with them, it all becomes a computer headache. business people rather than doctors run the show. people move around a lot more too, and don't always stay one place for their careers. Change happens.

you are all making me miss my kitty a lot! DH and I have talked and want to look for a new little buddy this fall. I thought we'd do it before this.

later yesterday I re-looked at Cardio party. I know I did sections of it before and even looked up some old threads to see what I'd done. as usual the altitude makes me feel like an amateur , out of breath on simple things.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday but I did complete 14, 595 steps. It was a busy day. We woke up at 3:00 am with a loud downpour, thunder, lighting...and water coming into the basement again. John got right on it, mopping to the floor drain as fast as he could. I cannot wait until this job is done. We are scheduled for the 23rd & 24th of this month.

Valerie, thanks for the tips on the bread. I would probably just substitute one of the other seeds. Yes, we have Bob's Red Mill stuff in stores. Also, our local Co-op has a lot of those ingredients. Any chance you can contact the manufacturer of the camper? Funny you mention it, but while I am sitting here typing, the contractor that is putting in the new drain and sump pump is outside right now putting flags and painting marks where they want to dig for the new drain to the main sewer from our house. The utility inspectors will come and let them know if they can dig there or not. They cannot dig anywhere until they get the "go ahead" from the inspector.

Carolyn, that premix is the only one I do when doing Gym Style Legs. :). Yes, one of my favorite breads from the Co-0p is a multi-grain seeded bread.

Lori, love that routine that the cat had with your son. LOL. Animals are so into habits and consistency. I tell new dog owners to make their lives with the dog as consistent as they can and they will see that the dog will be happier, and not as destructive, etc.

Judy, so sorry about your allergies /etc. I hope the meds help. Agree on the older doctors with the new technology...some just can't make that big of a change and end up retiring. That, and the insurance hassles that are a day to day thing now.

Hi to Diane Sue,

Take care,

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.