Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 9/27

This morning I did Live Low Impact Hiit Circuit. Whew! She does 2 rounds of Hiit and then 2 rounds with weights. And the Hiit is more like 4 because she’ll do something on two sides and then something with two variations. 53 min, ave bpm 128 and burned 246 calories.

Yesterday was a zoo day, but I did Xtrain Core 1 and a stretch before I went. Walked for an hour and 58 minutes, and burned 429 calories.

Valerie I bet you really needed and enjoyed that 10 hours sleep. I can’t fathom that much as I’m lucky to get 8 hours once a month. Sorry to hear about the water damage to your camper. I hope you are able to fix it. Water can do so much damage.

Carolyn PHA2 is a great, fun workout! So, is Rev’d up Rumble!

Lori that’s great that your son will be able to visit. My sister had to fly to get her puppy, and she said she was comfortable with how things were done. Normally she flys half a dozen times cross country for work, but hasn’t flown since March. And I was interrupted when she called. She’s trying to work, her husband is gone for a few hours and puppy learned to get out of his own and wreaked havoc while she was in the bathroom. She’s going to have to work late now.

Judy good job tackling Live Muscle Max. Was it pretty much like the DVD from the Hardcore series?

Diane Sue that Live Cardio Core Bootcamp sounds good. Sounds like schooling is going more smoothly for your grandson, hopefully they get the Zoom issues figured out. I generally avoid wearing my glasses when I have a mask on, I can squint and read most things. I usually only have issues when I’m shopping.

I had an Apple Watch. I’ve had Apple products only since back in the mid-80’s and it’s the first product I didn’t like. I got it when my Versa imploded last summer. I finally gave it to my son and he uses it when he runs. I just didn’t care for it, and never really got it to work well for what I wanted. ‍‍

so bizarre. I tried to edit because I ended with a shrug emoji and it keeps changing it to the symbol for female! WTH

Last edited:
Good morning,

Workouts have been good until today, woke up at 2:30 am with heartburn, never got back to sleep. Sunday, Live Burn sets biceps & triceps, Monday Live Cardio Quick Fix, Tuesday Live Burn sets Lower Body, plus > 10, 000 steps.

Cathy, good job on the workouts, glad you are enjoying some of the Live ones. Sorry about the sleep issue. I usually get 4-5.5 hour of sleep a night. That is why I take a nap in the afternoon when I can Same here on holding the DB's...I just pick up one as heavy as I can. I have a 20, and have the type that you can add plates to the end of a bar, so can make up even heavier if I need to.

Valerie, glad you got home safely, I can see how tiring that ride could be. I can honestly say I have never been camping of any kind, tent, or camper. Just was not something my parents were into, so I never thought to do it as an adult. Sorry about the camper and repairs.

Carolyn, nice job on the workouts. Great news on the Oncologist visit.

Judy, Nice workouts this week. The watch looks pretty comprehensive. I really don't like the way FitBit does the sleep info, so I have not been looking at it lately.

Lori, that's great that you are enjoying the walks with Gigi so much. You will probably be able to do that year-round. Not like it was when you live up here! That is nice that you have a friend there...was it someone you knew from somewhere else? You need to post the Argan oil/Moroccan oil brand picture for us here with frizzy hair. .LOL...:)..and tell us how you use it. If it works in Florida, it should work anywhere. LOL.

Diane Sue, great news on the 7+ hours of sleep. Will need to look into that supplement you took. Why did you say you would not be doing that all of the time?

Take care,

Good morning,

Workouts have been good until today, woke up at 2:30 am with heartburn, never got back to sleep. Sunday, Live Burn sets biceps & triceps, Monday Live Cardio Quick Fix, Tuesday Live Burn sets Lower Body, plus > 10, 000 steps.

Cathy, good job on the workouts, glad you are enjoying some of the Live ones. Sorry about the sleep issue. I usually get 4-5.5 hour of sleep a night. That is why I take a nap in the afternoon when I can Same here on holding the DB's...I just pick up one as heavy as I can. I have a 20, and have the type that you can add plates to the end of a bar, so can make up even heavier if I need to.

Valerie, glad you got home safely, I can see how tiring that ride could be. I can honestly say I have never been camping of any kind, tent, or camper. Just was not something my parents were into, so I never thought to do it as an adult. Sorry about the camper and repairs.

Carolyn, nice job on the workouts. Great news on the Oncologist visit.

Judy, nice screen shots. The watch looks pretty comprehensive.

Lori, that's great that you are enjoying the walks with Gigi so much. You will probably be able to do that year-round. Not like it was when you live up here! That is nice that you have a friend there...was it someone you knew from somewhere else? You need to post the Argan oil/Moroccan oil brand picture for us here with frizzy hair. .LOL...:)..and tell us how you use it. If it works in Florida, it should work anywhere. LOL.

Diane Sue, great news on the 7+ hours of sleep. Will need to look into that supplement you took. Why did you say you would not be doing that all of the time?

Take care,

Reactions: WD
This morning I did Stacked Sets Upper Body for 40 minutes and 252 calories burned. Average heart rate was 128 and maximum heart rate was 164.

Diane Sue, nice work with Raw Just Step, Cathe Live Cardio Core Bootcamp and WS3 Foundations. I haven’t done the Foundations workout either. I decided that it wasn’t something I needed or wanted to do. I agree that it is good for someone who needs more instruction.

Cathy, great job with Live Low Impact HiiT Circuit, walking at the zoo and X Train Core. I’m going to stick with the Charge 3 until it completely dies. However, I’m very interested in the additional health tracking with the Apple Watch. I noticed that emoji at the end of your post and decided it was something that I didn’t get!

Deb, great workouts this week. I’m sorry that you woke up with heartburn today. I thought that problem was much better for you. Did you ever figure out what was causing it?

Hello to Valerie, Judy, and Lori.

Today there was problems with zoom so instead of 9 they moved it to 9:45. To keep in sync with my schedule I did Raw Box and Tone 29 minutes, heart rate 129/164, 157 calories, 2,770 steps. After zoom and some school work I did Walk Strong 3 lower body, 33 minutes, heart rate 95/128, 84 calories, 881 steps. Finishing with Walk Strong 3 quick fix total body stretch, 17 minutes, 15 calories. Total time was 79 minutes, 256 calories, 3,651 steps.

Walk Strong 3 Lower Body 31 minutes

Step, weights dependent on fitness level up to 25# ( seems like too much at that weight to me)

Group 1

Squat off side of step(high step 2 risers optional) right 8 slow 2 count 20# dbs 8 reverse lunge off step 20# dbs alternating 8 each side 15# dbs single count
single leg deadlift 15# dbs 16 reps

Break is standing hamstring curls and hip lifts

Repeat

Group 2 lunge with 1 foot on step 1 db 15# 16 reps

Hip hinge 15# db 1 leg 16 reps

Calf raise leg lift

Repeat

Group 3 goblet squat 20# db 16 reps

Side lunge/lateral leg lift 1 db 15# 8 reps right and 8 reps left

Break is speed skate 8 each side

Repeat

Group 4

Balance on 1 foot toe tap off to side of step like dipping toe 15# dbs 16 reps right

Plies on toes with 15# dbs 16 reps

Repeat on other side

Group 5 floor no weight

Bridge walk out n heels 3 and back 4 times

Star plank lift 1 arm raised

Repeat on other side

Deb, I just do not want to rely on supplements to get sleep. The Vital Proteins collagen shots have some melatonin in them. If I get to the point of exhaustion and fell I need it I will use it. It is a better choice that some things. Nice work on your workouts. I hope you do not start having heart burn problems again. Sorry you did not get sleep.

Carolyn, nice work with Strong Body Stacked Sets Upper Body.

Cathy, that sounds like a good workout. I have eyed the low impact circuit. Most of the low impact stuff I have looked at, but sometimes I view clips and see overhead press with lower a lot and I just feel I will skip it for now. That is why when I saw that the Bootcamp was non weight I went for it :) Right now I am having a hard time choosing what I should do.
I should pull out my reading glasses when I go to the store. Sometimes prices are blurred, or I am squinting and can't make out macros and when I get home I am irritated with myself.

good morning. been busy the last couple days, hiked yesterday with friends and gone from early am until dinner. about 4 hours of actual hiking.
our camper repairs are going well so far. I came from a family that did NOTHING outdoors so I learned. we love hiking and outdoor things. its very expensive and difficult to stay near places you want to hike if you don't camp. when young and poor... we tent camped, then went to a VW bus , then a pop up camper, and finally a truck camper. it's a big unit that slides into the bed of a pickup truck. towing anything behind, even small, complicates driving on narrow gravel roads and requires a drive thru campsite. backing up while towing a camper is a daunting task.
if you stay in a motel and it's 2+ hrs drive to the trailhead, its a REALLY long day. staying in motels and restaurant food is torture for me... never do if I can avoid.
the wood damage is from the edge of the water heater. wood is middle of the camper height, not the floor. we think at time of manufacture a couple inches of waterproof tape were left off the edge of the water heater where it fits to the outside wall. probably had a tiny leak there for 10 years. we replaced the wood and will let it dry a few more days but are well on the way to fixing this. after we pulled out the water heater we could clearly see where water leaked and found a corner of the heater that didn't have tape.

ha ha ....we carry reader glasses everywhere. costco has decent ones in a 3 pack for about $15. I use them when I have contact lenses in. DH uses them all the time for close work. yes, masks make them fog. Im OK until it comes to the ingredient list on products , then out come the glasses. most smart phones have a magnifier function that will work too.

Deb elevating the head of the bed might help with the nighttime heartburn. DH has ours elevated and it stopped his heartburn. I however can't sleep in that position so I now sleep in guest room. sleep sitting up at all! propping yourself up with pillows or a wedge pillow is not as effective.

Ha Lori I solve the hair problem by not going to Florida! no hair products needed. I use an oil product to smooth my hair but its mainly a flat iron that does the trick.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did Cathe Live #315-Cardio Boxing Bootcamp, then a 10 minute Peloton Abs routine and a Peloton Barre Cool Down. Today I did 60 minutes of Peloton rides and a 15 minute Peloton Legs & Glute Strength workout.

Deb-Great workouts! I'm sorry about the heartburn :( I hope you feel better today. The Apple Watch is very comprehensive. Now that I'm not wearing a Fitbit, I can see how much the Apple Watch really does and I don't feel like I need another tracker.

Cathy-Yes, the Live Muscle Max was similar to the Hardcore Series one. I need to try the Live Muscle Max with Step. That one would probably be the most similar since a step was used in the original DVD workout.
Great workouts this week! Nice job on all the walking too!

Carolyn-Great job with Stacked Sets Upper Body.

Diane Sue-Nice job with the WS3 workouts. I agree about not wanting to rely on supplements to sleep. It's nice to have them around though if you need them.

Lori-I have a similar hair oil I purchased from my salon. I love it and am never without it.

Valerie-Great job with the hikes! I have to use readers when I wear contacts too.

Today I did WS3 Cardio Step Jam for 32 minutes and 228 calories burned. Average heart rate was 130 and maximum heart rate was 151. I needed to get done quickly this morning because the HVAC technician was coming at 9:00. Just routine maintenance, thankfully no problems.

Diane Sue, nice job with Raw Box and Tone, WS3 Lower Body, and WS3 Quick Stretch.

Lori, I think that I’ve looked at that argan oil, but didn’t buy it. That’s great that it works so well on your hair.

Valerie, hiking with friends sounds like an enjoyable outing, I’m glad that the camper repair is going well.

Judy, great combination of Cathe Live and Peloton workouts. Peloton seems to offer a wide variety of workouts.

Hello to Deb and Cathy.

Today I did Cathe Live #8 High Intensity Cardio Step, 44 minutes, 221 calories, heart rate 123/149, 4256 steps. I followed this with Walk Strong 3 Yoga Strength + Stretch, 34 minutes, (actual was 30 but I added some rolling on my upper back and shoulders) 43 calories, 104 steps, heart rate was 86/126.
Total Time was 78 minutes, 4,360 steps. This step workout had some light weight moves with step the last few minutes. I used 3# and mostly did curls and not shoulders.
I will try to post tomorrow. It is getting late and last night I only got 5 hours in. Today was busy.

diane sue I meant to comment before. I have an air fryer. I am NOT a fan of regular restaurant /fast food french fries so maybe my opinion of what is "good" is different from your DH. I like regular "oven fries" made by tossing some sliced potato strips with a bit of oil, salt, garlic powder and paprika. spread out one layer thick on parchment paper and roast at 425 until as done as you like them. 30 min or so? parchment is the key to no sticking. toss a bit to bake evenly. depends some on how thick you slice them. the air fryer does the same thing maybe a little faster but I actually like the regular oven ones better. air fryer is loud and dries them out more than the regular oven. I usually use a baking potato but all potatoes work.

Last edited:
yesterday got interesting. we've been bothered by someone shooting at unusual times, a large caliber weapon usually for an hour or so but often in the evening when its hard to go out and track it down. besides, we live in the county and shooting is legal. this is a LOT of shooting. it started yesterday at 1 in the afternoon. I walked down the road until I found which house it was. I could see the person shooting, puffs of smoke from the gun. it was very loud. one of the other neighbors complained she was doing Zoom for school and everyone could hear the gun shots. it was LOUD. several people complained on Next door and after recognizing some names, I put in the address of the offender. I have pics and a video. not sure where this will go. I never wanted to do this when it was dark outside, but daylight and him shooting for over an hour made it possible. It's hard to report something without an address and only a vague notion of the source, as I have tried before. the dispatcher could hear the shots over my phone and now I know from where. I am 5 houses away. I just disgusted that someone has so little concern for the neighborhood that he feels this is somehow "OK". most of the other people questioning where it was coming from agree. really... you kids are on a Zoom call for school and there are clear rapid fire gunshots for an hour ? this is a residential neighborhood with houses all around, not some isolated spot in a gravel pit 30 miles from town. so I'm going to try to pursue this.
I was already furious over that horrendous "debate" .... disrupted my sleep because of the sheer awfulness of it and that this behavior is acceptable "adult" behavior? I've had a slow exercise week because of lost sleep and general disruption. no political diatribe here but I am so tired of this chaos. we need a huge course correction. maybe covid will give it to us.

This morning I did the 2015 Road trip Kickboxing workout. A good workout, but it felt very scattered and unfocused. I know she was making it up as she went along, so that's why, but I don't know that I would do it again.

Valerie an hour of that is really too much. We get people target practicing pretty often, but no where near that duration. And it's generally weekends or evenings. Not middle of a week day. This whole week has been insane and now more to add in today. Glad that you are making good progress on the camper. We tent camped when the boys were little, but the older one got to a point where he just didn't like it (same kid who announced on our weekly zoo trip when he was little that "I'm a sports kid, not a zoo kid." I always liked tent camping. Though the unloading at home wasn't fun.

Deb you've gotten in some great workouts this week. I do sometimes nap, but I set my alarm for 20-30 minutes. More than that is guaranteed to screw up my sleep.

Carolyn those are some good workouts!

Diane Sue great workouts! I'll check out that High Intensity Cardio Step-sounds good!

Judy that Cardio Boxing Bootcamp sounds fun. I'll check that out too! I think I need more days in the week. LOL

Had my annual eye exam this morning. No changes, so no new reading glasses for me. He said I did excellent on the darn peripheral vision clicker test. I hate that test, and told him so. LOL He's been my optometrist for nearly 40 years so I'm good with truth telling. :) Boys both got their absentee ballots, so I'm going up Sunday to get them and bring the ballots back with me. Hoping the rain has moved out and we can go hiking in the afternoon. Even Mr., I'm a sports kid, wants to go along. Hoping I can stop and do some things on the way up and down, but Sunday is potentially rainy all the way up. Monday looks good though. Sunday is by far the best day to meet with them though as the older one has such a heavy class load and works, plus volunteers on Saturday.

Today I did Stacked Sets Lower Body for 38 minutes and 234 calories burned. My average heart rate was 126 and maximum heart rate was 155.

Diane Sue, nice work with Live High Intensity Cardio Step and WS3 Yoga Strength and Stretch. I hope you got some rest last night.

Valerie, I make oven fries in a similar manner. That neighbor who is shooting is being very thoughtless. I hope something can be done to control it.

Cathe, nice job with Live Road Trip Kickboxing.

Hello to Deb, Lori, and Judy.

quite a few people complained about the racket from the shooting but this is a long term project. I will talk to our HOA person when he is back from vacation. it was extremely loud. it is so loud we could not talk with a landscaper who came to estimate on a project we want done. we had to wait until he paused I assume to reload. I cant imagine how it is for kids ( and parents) who are already skittish about school shootings having to listen to this while trying to learn. strangely, sound carries in weird ways. it was loud in front of his house, but louder further away in our yard. there are five 5 acre properties between us.

I did stacked upper body with heavy weights and the ab workout.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did LIVE Metabolic Upper Body, 48 minutes, 333 calories. WOW...all I can say is this is a burner! I really liked the core moves in this as well as the overall workout.

Carolyn, nice job on Stacked sets. Will you be doing the October rotation? It looks like a good one, using different series. As for the heartburn, it comes occasionally, lasts a few days, then goes for a while. This was the first time in a long time that it affected my sleep.

Diane Sue, its amazing that you can keep up with all the school virtual learning changes. What do parents do that are working from home? How do they do their own jobs, and do what is needed for their children to keep up with virtual learning? Do you get those sleep shots on Amazon?

Lori, Thanks for the link...how do you use it on your hair? while still wet? what is "a little"?

Valerie, glad the repairs are going well. My grandparents were campers. They were birdwatchers and loved to go around with their camper. It was the same style as yours....it sat in a spot in their yard, then they put it on the back of my grandfather's pick up truck when they were going to go on a bird watching trip. When we were there and it was in the yard, we used to play in it, with all kinds of made up stuff as to what it was....fort, etc. Loved it. I have about 6 pair of reading classes around the house, some are even 3 feet away from each other, but want them right at hand when needed. Also a pair in both dog training bags. What does your husband use to elevate the head of the bed? I have pillows between the mattress and box spring, but I don;t think that is enough height. As for the shooting, I hope they are able to get them to stop, at least during the day/weekdays. I am surprised it was so loud, being 5 houses ( 25 acres?) away...I thought sound diminishes the further away it is...strange. Are the police going to do something about it now that you have identfied the source?

Judy, nice job on Cardio Boxing Boot Camp and the Peloton ride. You should try the Metabolic Upper Body one. I think you will like it a lot.

Cathy, nice results from the eye exam. I have never done a LIVE from a Cathe Roadtrip. I would think she would have those way planned in advance? Strange. Her weekly ones are so planned, maybe because she has them written out on large pieces of paper and taped to a wall, she is more able to check to see what is coming next? I am only assuming this is the case since she pauses for a second sometimes and seems to be reading off of something. Wow, you are making that long drive to pick up ballots? Is there no place for them to mail, or submit them locally? Sorry if this is dumb, but I am not familiar with the absentee ballot procedures.

Take care,

This morning I did Live Bun Burners Barre and Ball. Good workout! First there is a standing body weight sections, then barre and you finish with the ball. I'm planning to stretch tonight, because I really don't want to be sore tomorrow and sitting in a car for 7 hours.

Deb, the main mail source that all of our mail is routed through is one that had sorting machines removed, so I'm not taking any chances on theirs getting tied up along the way. Plus, I really don't mind the drive and the color report I checked said that colors across the UP are 60%-peak right now. And the northern lower peninsula will be the same. That live workout sounds pretty good-adds to future options list.

Valerie I really hope that you can get the issue with the shooter resolved it sounds really bad. SSUB is a good workout!

Carolyn SSLB is a great choice!

Hi to everyone else. Trying to remember everything I want to take along. I made food for tomorrow night with the boys. And I made Nick Chili since he doesn't make soups or chili for himself. Last time I took him soup. My room has a microwave, so it cuts down on the meals I need to eat out.

Deb my DH uses landscape bricks to raise the frame itself. he uses bricks, one under each top corner of the frame and one in the middle. we used bricks because we had lots of them handy. you could use pieces of 2x4's or something similar. the downside for us is I I cant sleep elevated, plus I don't have reflux. start with something small under the bedframe and gradually increase the thickness?. long term reflux can cause serious issues worse than interrupting your sleep. just google "elevating head of bed" and there are all kinds of options, like inserting a wedge between mattress and box spring. just pillows wont do it. you want 6-8 inches. DH likes to elevate the whole frame.

every state has set up different rules and regulations for mail or absentee ballots. I haven't voted in person for 30- 40 years. I traveled a lot for work, signed up absentee ages ago. it worked so well I never went back to in-person voting. my husband saw how nicely it worked, switched to mail also. he often finished work late, lines were long at 6-7 pm. WA transitioned to all mail voting about 10 years ago. how it's done here might be different than your state, especially with everyone trying to get something "workable" set up quickly because of the virus.

our ballots arrive in the mail about 15 days before an election, along with a voters handbook with candidate background, both sides of various tax, initiative or ballot measures. no postage needed. we vote leisurely at the kitchen table. look up anything we have questions about. drop in a mailbox. there are also vote drop boxes scattered around because there are fewer mail boxes than in the past. safe, secure and easy. you can track your ballot online to be sure it gets to the destination. it is incredibly simple and fair. fraud issues have been infinitesimally small. the main issues come from people marking something wrong, and trying to correct it, or when signatures don't match voting records. all handled smoothly. there is unfortunately obvious efforts in some states to suppress the vote or make it more difficult.

also just FYI if you get Netflix " the Loudest Voice" a mini series starring russell crowe as roger aisles, is available during october. I highly recommend. it was terrific.

the shooting noise was so loud we could not converse in our yard. this is a large caliber hand gun fired rapidly. some neighbor people are 2nd amendment whack jobs. they are asking ( seriously!!!) why I didn't stroll up to the shooter for a "neighborly" chat. yes, those words. o_Oo_OI'm the only person who walked down the road, identified the property, saw and videoed the shooter who was way inside his lot with a locked gate on the driveway and a "Beware of dog" sign. I saw him shooting, saw it was a hand gun, and could see puffs of smoke with each round. I did not post the video, just the property address. I mean, really? I should have climbed over the locked gate and gone in to chat?? I am not a SWAT team! this activity may be formally "legal" but it is thoughtless, dangerous, and wildly inappropriate.
having little kids listen to this thru their Zoom classroom expands this to a community issue IMO.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.