Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 9/27

I did Live Total Body Stability Ball Abs This morning. Got less than four hours sleep, so it wasn’t easy going but I did it. I think even on a good day that would be a tough workout. Lots of leg movements while also doing arm movements with the ball. Light weights but tons of reps. I learned that if she’s holding two 10’s for one arm rows, I just need to grab a 20 because my little hands can’t do that with anything bigger than 8’s.

Good morning. made it all the way back last night, pretty much cross eyed tired. the drive is not difficult, just long. traffic is least on saturday. sunday night generates lots of normal weekend traffic.
I'll do something later today. one of the nice things about a vacation house is you can do cooking and laundry there, so you don't come home with a mountain of things to do immediately. some shopping today though. we ate most of the fresh vegies we had and its been wet here so most of the home grown things are probably near terminal. will check before I go to the store.

I absolutely could not hold two 10 lbs weights in one hand. my 10's are the neoprene coated ones with thick handles. no way to grab that! I've used a 5 or an 8 plus a resistance band like cathe does sometimes. doesn't work for everything. Bummer on only 4 hours..... I need more than that!

Deb, thanks for getting us started this morning. Today is my rest day. Cathy, I would not be able to function on four hours of sleep! That’s great that you were able to work out. I don’t even try to hold two dumbbells in one hand anymore. It‘s better for me to get one heavier weight.

Valerie, I’m glad that you made it safely. I’m sure that there are many benefits to a vacation home, but being able to do laundry is a big plus.

Hello to Diane Sue, Judy, and Lori.

Today is a rest day. I got my first excellent sleep score on Fit bit ever last night. But, I used a vital proteins sleep shot. I slept 7 hours with getting up once. I list my sleep goal at 7 hours. I used to use 7.5, but it is not attainable for a goal for me at all. I am generally in the 5 to 6 hour range and always tired. I won't be doing that all of the time. I have just been so exhausted and not matter what, I don't sleep well.

Deb, thanks for getting us started today.

Cathy, nice workout for only having 4 hours of sleep. That sounds like a tough workout. I am not a fan of holding two dumbbells together and often go pick up one larger one.

Valerie, that is one of the things that I always dreaded when we went somewhere in the fifth wheel, as we always pulled out all of the laundry and extra things like laptops that we took with us. I guess the laundry could have waited and grocery items. We kept kept a stock of canned goods, light dumbbells, bands and tubing and that sort of thing in ready to go all of the time. But there was still a lot to unload. Otherwise I wiped things down and cleaned up before we headed home.
One of the problems with the Bowflex weights is I could never hold two together as the handles were pretty thick. It was too uncomfortable and the length of them is kind of long so they get in the way when doing some moves and moves that are guicker paced. A slow heavy workout is easier to use them for. I use them for my 20# dumbbells since my husband has my 20's downstairs. We used to have two pair, but I think the ones my grandson has were my 20# dumbbells. He thought they were his Dad's and I just let it go.

Carolyn, I used to manage on 4 hours of sleep, but now I just feel ill and no energy at all. It is easier for me to take a rest day now than it used to be when it gets like that. At the most something lighter and short.

Just finished Live Steptastic and A great workout, but it is definitely a workout. Part way through the first combo she speeds the music up, and for a few things that really felt like step on speed. Plus there is a lot interval added in. 44 minutes long and I had 31 at peak, with an average bpm of 137. And when I sat down after to log my workout, I was giving off so much heat, my reading glasses fogged up The only thing I didn’t like was that the lighting was really dim. I crave light, so that really stood out to me.

Valerie, I’m glad you made it back safely. The unloading from tent camping was always rough. Somehow we never mastered camping lightly, but then we always had the boys with us. It was much easier for me when I camped alone last summer. Mainly because I took minimal clothes and washed them at the campground, and bought all my food. Pricier, but a lot less to unload.

Diane Sue glad to hear you had a better night. It makes such a difference.

yesterday turned out to be a rest day. never went shopping. I was right about the garden though. we had a lot of green beans but they didn't taste good. looked nice but when cooked tasted old, tough. I love green beans but these are done. growth slows in september and some things are not worth harvesting. our squash will get another week in the sun. this week will be sunny but its been very wet. zucchini might spit out a few more, winter squash is ripening but will get picked soon.
I agree.... tent or camper vacations end up with a lot of follow up work. if I plan the food right, there isn't much left. starve or shop this morning. we are starting work on our camper. one of the jacks is failing, pulling right out of the attachment area. it's a big deal. DH thinks he can fix it so I'm playing "go-fer" in between shopping. today will get in a workout. I was so tired last night I could not face it. much better this morning but slept for a good 10 hours. I'm too jittery after the drive and that first night is not restful.

off to get the mail.

Last edited:
This morning I did LiTE PHA 2 which was 51 minutes and 286 calories burned. My average heart rate was 122 and maximum heart rate was 156.

Diane Sue, that’s wonderful that you were able to sleep for 7 hours.

Cathy, great job with Live Steptastic. It sounds like a toughie.

Valerie, nice job taking it slow yesterday. Traveling by car is very exhausting. Good luck to your husband with the camper repair.

Hello to Judy, Lori, and Deb.

Today I did Cathe Live #50, Muscle Max, No Step. I added on a couple of short Peloton Barre workouts.

Cathy-So sorry about the sleep :( That is rough. I don't think I could work out or do much else if I only slept 4 hours. Great job getting a workout in.

Valerie-That's great that you made it back safely. I've never even tried holding two dumbbells. I don't know how Cathe does it so easily.

Carolyn-Great job with PHA2! I almost did that one today but changed my mind at the last minute.

Diane Sue-That's awesome that you got 7 hours of sleep and an excellent sleep score! My Fitbit band broke last week and I decided to just stay with the Apple watch for steps and sleep. Apple sleep tracking isn't as detailed as Fitbit but it seems accurate.

Hi to Deb & Lori,

Carolyn, I'll post a few screen shots of the workout data. So far I like how it works. I have the series 3 but am thinking about upgrading to the 6 for the extra health information.

Reactions: WD
Here is the workout data from a couple of days last week. Also, a daily summary with steps, etc.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-28 at 15.50.59.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-09-28 at 15.50.59.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2020-09-28 at 15.52.36.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-09-28 at 15.52.36.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2020-09-28 at 15.52.57.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-09-28 at 15.52.57.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 5
got the mail.
DH started working on the camper. a mess. we pulled out the waterheater and need to replace a section of wood underneath it. we think its just the water connection to the heater that has been leaking probably for years. the wood underneath is toast, mush from a small water leak. this is all "inside" the camper shell, nothing can be seen from either inside the camper or outside, but the jack that holds the camper in place in that corner was not holding securely. the wood base was mostly gone. we originally thought the screws were failing although I kept saying there was visible water damage inside, and that was why the jack wasn't holding. unfortunately.... I was right. I wish I wasnt! the wood was swollen and pushed up out of place. DH opened it up and together we pushed/ pulled the water heater out and need inside area to dry it out and patch in a piece of replacement wood. Water leaks cause so much damage! they arent easy to detect if they're small and water isnt dripping or running out. it looks like we can fix this ourselves but cant do much more until the wood inside dries out. so off to costco and to Lowes to find replacement screws.

Good evening ladies,

Still on track with my workouts, just not working as long as I would like. 30 mins and that is all the time I can do if I want to take GiGi for a walk. I have some good 30 min workouts that get plenty of strength in, I just miss some of my longer workouts. Oh well...I love taking GiGi for a walk in the morning here, so I guess it’s a small price to pay.

I met up with a friend at Disney Springs yesterday and had a fun time. So strange being only 40 mins away from Disney. I felt very safe there. Social distancing was a must and the restaurant we went to had an outdoor patio. To enter Disney they take your temperature and masks are mandatory. Even through the governor opened everything back up Friday evening, Disney is still doing the lessor capacity and safety measures.

My son is coming to visit the week before Thanksgiving and we are looking forward to it. He is taking a test right before he leaves massachusetts and is really good about, masks and handwashing. At first I was concerned about him flying, but after speaking with a few people that I know fly frequently, put me at ease.

Speaking of being close...I am less than an hour from Daytona Beach - perhaps I will actually get to go to a Cathe Road Trip! I have always wanted too. I know this year she cancelled due to corona..hoping maybe next year? Might be a great way to celebrate my 60th! :)

Valerie..oh that stinks with the camper! I know what you mean about holding 2 weights in one hand, some of mine are too thick, so I get it. Been meaning to tell you how I‘ve handled my hair frizz. My hair was a mess the first couple of weeks, which I fully anticipated it would be until I could find “the product” to help. Well at work everyone has really nice hair so I asked...what the heck do you all use...they all said (pretty much at the same time) Argan oil/Moroccan oil!!! GAME CHANGER..what a difference!

Carolyn...I love my Apple Watch. I have the series 5 and this works for me. Maybe by the time the 7 comes out I will be ready to upgrade. I use it for all my workouts,walks with GiGi, listen to music with my airpods. I have cellular with mine and I love I can leave my phone home and still never miss a call/text. When I walk GiGi I pair my airpods with it and I am good to go and don’t need my phone.

Judy...How did you like the barre workouts? As soon as I have more space in my spare room, I will set up my barre. I have been doing some but not like I used to.

Cathy...wow that sounded like some step workout! I would have tripped and fallen for sure. Good for you! Hate when I get no sleep. Really messes with your body.

Diane Sue....wow congrats on your sleep!!! Yeah!!!!!!

Hello to Deb!!!!!!

Have a great night all!

Today I did Jessica Smith Walk Strong 3 Strength Total Body, 42 minutes (30 actual) heart rate 89/117, 75 calories, 449 steps. I then did JS Walk Strong 3 One Mile to Motivation,15 minutes, 76 calories, 1,789 steps. Total time was 71 minutes, 151 calories, 2,238 steps. I think I really need to try rebooting my Fitbit, but I have been busy non stop today. Lots of school work, but my grandson did really well keeping up with it :) He even went on with it when my older daughter called and had it finished perfectly before the teacher was done on the math video.
Walk Strong 3 Jessica Smith Strength Total Body 30 minutes

Mat, set of light dumbbells2-8# ;set of moderate heavy dumbbells 8-15#; Set of Heavy Dumbbells 10-25# dumbbells

Warm up

Rnd 1 done 2 x

Superman/kneeling push up

Side lunge/ 1 arm overhead press 12# dbs 16 reps

Hip hinge row 15 # dbs 16 reps

Repeat

Rnd 2 done 2x

Floor feet elevated alternating bench press 12# dbs 24 reps

Bridge/hamstring holding dumbbells 12 # dbs 16 reps right then 16 reps left

Lunge from floor hold 1 arm biceps curls 12# dbs second round 15# dbs 8 reps right 8 reps left

Repeat

Goblet squats 15# dbs 15 reps 20# dbs second time

Overhead triceps extension balance one leg 15# dbs 8 reps right 8 reps left

1 arm overhead press lunge 10# db 8 reps right 8 reps left

Repeat

Body weight core

Plank walk in and out

Supine knees up arms overhead windmill arms as leg extends

Both legsraise off floor andlower

Sit up to stand or get up

This morning I did Rev’d Up Rumble + Extended Stretch #1. Total time was 49 minutes with 304 calories burned. My average heart rate was 125 and maximum heart rate was 156. My Fitbit app gave a really high heart rate that I knew was wrong. I went with the highest heart rate that I saw on the device screen.

I had an appointment with my Oncologist this morning. Everything is fine for me. He did ask that I have my daughter mention one item from my genetic testing to her Oncologist.

Diane Sue, nice job with WS3 Total Body and One Mile of Motivation. I’m glad that school is going more smoothly.

Lori, you are doing a great job adjusting to your new routine. Thanks for the input on your Apple watch.

Hello to Judy, Valerie, Cathy, and Deb. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Today I did Coffey Fit Raw Just Step, 24 minutes, 128 calories, heart rate 129/162, 128 calories, 2,346 steps. I had a break for zoom class and helping with school work then went back and did Cathe Live #306, cardio Core Bootcamp, 43 minutes, 203 calories, heart rate 121/151, 3,177 steps. I finished off doing Walk Strong 3 foundations, 34 minutes, 35 calories, heart rate 78/93, 62 steps. That is the only WS3 workout I have not done. Not sure I will use it much. It is form pointers for different moves with some stretching and balance. But, still good for someone who does not workout a lot or reminders. Total time was 1 hour 42 minutes, 366 calories, 5,585 steps. I liked the Cathe Live cardio bootcamp. It did not use weights, it was core and cardio and some high impact, but Cathe shows low impact options. She uses a step for some moves and a mat for ab moves. I wish her music was fun though.

I took more time for my workout today as we had less assignments, at least so I though, and then while I was showering my daughter sent me a copy of email saying she just got a message saying it was library zoom at 1:30, so I was rushing around trying to get lunch and things set up. Then when I tried following the new instructions going through the library link, I could not get to the zoom. It said unauthorized or something. I tried again later and it still would not work. So, we finished up what work we had.
I reset my Fitbit to factory defaults and it seemed a little better, but still not correct. I thought the high end of my heart rate on Fit Step was exaggerated and then the Bootcamp was too low for all of the impact I did, even though you do go to the floor for ab moves, it seems you are moving quite a bit all of the time. I guess I will see.
Anyone that has an air fryer (Lori or anyone else), does it make decent homemade french fries. I am asking, because my husband wants them all of the time, and they always seem to stick to the bottom of the pan. I don't like cooking in a bunch of oil, and I use avocado oil or it as it is high heat safe. I would rather skip a lot of the oil. I doubt I would use one a lot for myself, but, who knows.

Cathy, I hate when I where my glasses and they fog up. Mine are just readers though, but I end up wearing them when I am writing down on workout logs like weight work, so I just leave them on. Funny, I did an eye exam at my eye surgeons office and I was trying to read the chart with my mask on and the lens kept fogging up on their equipment and I had to struggle with it. They had me leave the mask off for the field vision test this last time though. I was wondering how that was going to go if I had to wear a mask. Nice work staying in the peak zone that long with Steptastic.

Valerie, I am sorry that you found you had wood damage from the water. Does that remember replacing flooring as well or just underneath? You must have been extremely tired to get 10 hours of sleep. I bet it felt good. I love fresh vegetables, but prepping for storage is quite a chore.

Judy, I like the screen read out for the Apple watch. I doubt I will ever buy one though as I use android devices. I really like the sleep stages and stuff on the Fitbit app. My daughter and her daughters all seem to like their Apple watches. My daughter purchased hers so she could get calls and stuff without having to carry her phone around at work with patients.

Carolyn, it is rare, but my Fitbit does that sometimes too. When it comes up with something in the 170 range it is usually a blip and I know it is not right. I figure it is the watch trying to adjust back to the right heart rate. Nice work on Rev'd up and Rumble and on the pha workout yesterday.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.