Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 9/22

FitGran

Cathlete
This morning I did JS 15 Minute Calorie Burst which was 123 calories burned. My average heart rate was 132 and maximum heart rate was 146. After that I did the Evening Relaxation Practice from Jane Adams Gentle Yoga. That was 28 minutes and 42 calories burned. I went back to Krogers today to follow up on the grocery items that were left off my order Friday. They were very courteous and I was able to get my items without a problem.

Hello to everyone and have a wonderful day.

We are back from our hike. it was a fantastic morning. we saw a grizzly while driving to the trail, pretty close and just eating roots near side of the road. just before we saw him, we saw a weasel or mink, something long and low run across the road. after looking at the bear for a few minutes we saw 2 moose clacking antlers again just below the road. then 2 beautiful coyotes, really fluffy and handsome, hunting in the next field, plus a herd of elk. all easy to see in detail with regular binoculars. got to the trail, up a seriously bad road, and hiked for a few hours, not fast. it was very muddy and sloppy but filled with moose tracks. after we started back to the car we saw the moose, a big guy with a huge rack , running down the trail in front of us. we only caught a glimpse but moose often stand still in the trees and its easy to go right by them and not notice. also several osprey, many hawks and eagles. seems to be raptor migration.

Carolyn, good for you to ask for what is owed. I wonder how often that happens? somebody else probably went home with a few free items.

I just did PT skipping the new strength band moves that seemed to cause pain yesterday. That is it for me today. I see the therapist tomorrow and will be watching my youngest grandson the rest of the day. We took a drive to the south side of the city to see where 5 year old grandson will be going to school. I am picking him up since there is early release from school Friday. He is being transferred to the school his mother is teaching at. My older grandson is watching him till I am done with PT. He will bring him to me. I was hoping to not have to cancel PT at the last minute.

Carolyn, glad that you got your missing items from Kroger. I put a watch later JS workout that is from one of her walk sets on youtube. I thought it might be doable since it was a short segment from a dvd of low impact cardio and abs.

Valerie, seeing wildlife in their natural habitat is much better than in pens in a zoo. I like your descriptions of what you saw.

Good morning,

Today I did a treadmill workout ( yes treadmill works! :)), iTread Walking Intervals, 35 minutes 237 calories. The work for the basement has started, so it will be 2 days of noise, mess and having to keep the dogs contained.

Diane Sue, I am glad to hear that there has been some improvement in the pain you have been having. Sorry about the virus/allergies you are experiencing. I have been thinking about those back/shoulder braces that people used to wear to help keep their posture correct....not sure they even sell those anymore. I have found that as I am older, and have been using a computer for years, my posture is horrible.

Carolyn, thanks for starting the thread yesterday. Nice job on the workouts! I wouldn't have gone back for those items either, especially if the traffic is bad etc. Nice that when you went back yesterday, you were able to get the items without any problems.

Judy, the Peloton HIIT class sounds like a good one!

Valerie, "teck neck" is a great description for what we are all probably experiencing to some degree or another. Grat hike yesterday with some wonderful wildlife sightings!

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

This morning I did ICE Bootcamp Circuit for 49 minutes and 297 calories burned. My average heart rate was 122 and maximum heart rate was 153. The rotation had 4 Day Split Bootcamp scheduled, but I didn’t want to do that one.

Valerie, it’s wonderful that you saw such amazing wildlife on your hike yesterday.

Diane Sue, skipping the PT exercises that caused you pain sounds like a smart thing to do. JS has some good workouts available on YouTube. They can be as challenging as you want to make them without feeling wiped out.

Deb, great news on the treadmill working! I’m sure that you are glad to have the basement work started even with the mess that it makes.

Hello to Lori and Judy.

PT helped a lot this morning. She dropped a couple of those moves and said it is just not working for me like it is supposed to. She did some stretching and work on my shoulder since my back area behind the shoulder and in the lats is so tight that the shoulder pushes up in the front with movements. She gave me a couple of stretches to do that work similar to what she did while she kept my shoulder in place to move to just the point where it starts to move up. She said each time she got a bit further and stretching it should help make more space for that nerve. She worked till most of the pain left that I went in there with. Before I showered this morning I did a 12 minute 1 mile walk with Jessica Smith. I liked this. I have never spent much time using her workouts, but rather like that you get some decent steps in and can put more into it if you want to. I sure have not got in many steps lately.

Deb, they do still sell those posture braces. I saw them on Amazon. (I was looking :) ) Although right now I think it might aggravate the pain. Better to fix the posture before the pain starts. I am glad that your treadmill is working :)

Carolyn, you are right, Jessica Smith's you tube workouts are good and you can up them a bit or whatever you need and get a decent workout without being overdone. I did not throw my arms overhead as far or probably quite as quickly, but increased the lower moves a bit.

We went off on a hike today, 5 miles round trip at 8000 feet. it was tiring. the altitude really gets me. you would think after two weeks Id be acclimated but its still hard. as much wildlife as we saw the other day, today we saw absolutely nothing. zero. zip. saw some elk and bison off the road driving toward the trail but those are kind of "standard" here. we drove around and looked at a few other possible mt bike routes near where we hiked and saw a couple that might work. after we had done the hike we were heading back on the road ( the only road there is) and a tree had fallen across it. Arrgh. DH was digging around in the truck for a saw and I decided we could drive over it if I held it down and broke off the spiny branches. so I stood on it to hold it to the ground and he carefully slowly drove over it. that is the bad thing about windy places and forests... dead trees fall when they want to fall. always advisable to have a small saw and a rope with you.

I have been aware of the posture thing, keep my shoulders down and back, and not to lead with my head. or slouch over the keyboard. when I had the shoulder pain, they really drilled it into me. My sister has a bad habit of sticking her head forward. its pretty obvious once you are aware of it or you see someone else doing it. .
Deb, that will be 2 unpleasant days but then you're done. no more water in the basement!.

Good morning,

Today I did LIVE Strong Express Upper Body, 36 minutesm 195 calories. The job here is about half done. Hopefully they will finish today.

Carolyn, good sub for the 4 Day Split Bootcamp. That one is pretty high impact if I remember right. Agree, JS has some really good workouts on YouTube.

Diane Sue, glad that PT is working! I had the same thing happen with some of the exercises hurting the affected area. They told me to stop any time something hurt, and they would change it. I didn;t mention that one of the hip exercises was bothering my knee until it was too late, and my knee was hurting. Dumb. Thanks for the info. I ordered one of the posture braces from Amazon.

Valerie, too bad about the hike and no different wildlife. Wow, kind of scary that a tree was blocking the only road. Very clever way you got around that. :)

Hi to Judy & Lori,

Take care,

Good morning. we've been stuck n the wrong side of a tree before! some places we carry a chain saw with us. If it had been a big tree we would have been stuck and would have needed to call for help. another good time for a paper map... look for another route. . no cell signal there. might have been able to get a call through but didn't try. we could have tied it to the hitch and pulled it out of the way, and we have a small hand saw but tree was only 6 or so inches in diameter. driving over carefully was the best choice.

it was a beautiful day but some days you are lucky seeing wild things. we saw some wolf footprints but no wolf.

Today I did X Train Legs for 51 minutes and 197 calories burned. My average heart rate was 107 and maximum heart rate was 139. I got my second Shingrix vaccine this morning and I got a flu shot.

Deb, great job with Live Strong Express Upper Body. Yes, the 4 Day Split Bootcamp is the one with all of that running around. I wasn’t in the mood for that yesterday.

Valerie, it seems that you are getting in some hiking this trip.

Hello to Diane Sue, Judy, and Lori.

we mt biked this morning. going to try a new area but road was too awful to get there. it rained a week ago and its amazing how quickly roads go to "difficult" with huge puddles and rocks. decided it was too risky to drive there and would not be good riding anyway. so road a familiar one for about 90 minutes. we found 2 dead baby rattlesnakes ( yes I'm curious about stuff like that) on the road, some bear poop, and a lot of big puddles. this road was just reopened this summer and IMO repairs will not last. the road will be closed for the season unless it disintegrates first. will drive tomorrow.
carolyn yes we hiked a bit this time. next time, we hope to be back here shortly, we will spend more time in the park because hunting will be open and discouraging for hikers.

ETA not rattlesnakes, but a special kind of garter snake. a little less exciting...…

for those of you who get Netflix, there is a limited series we just watched that is absolutely excellent. called Unbelievable. about solving a serial rape crime. ordinarily I don't like this topic much, and thought it might be a silly Hollywood type dramatic nonsense scheme, but no, based on real events. my neighbor recommended it and it is outstanding. I highly recommend. 5 stars. there are known actors in it but no big star names. Toni Colette if you know who she is, is the biggest. another lady who played in Nurse jackie. you will recognize many faces in this if you watch. its about 2 very doggedly determined police officers who really go all out to solve this, and lots of smart determined people who support.

Last edited:
This morning was my day with the women playing games. There were less of us today and we played scrabble and then just visited. I did a quick Jessica Smith 1 mile walk from You Tube and part of my PT before I went. When I got home I did another Jessica Smith 1 mile abs walk and the rest of the PT. This was 70 minutes total time and 264 calories, 3,130 steps. I go to physical therapy tomorrow morning.

Deb, I hope the posture corrector is helpful for you. I was letting them hurt me at first, enduring pain because I thought they must know what they were doing. Then I told the one that it really hurt, and she said it was not supposed to hurt like that and to let her know. I think my speaking out more has helped her figure out what needed to be worked on and what the problem is. I do feel like I am starting to feel more in the opposite side now though. She says it is good if I feel it move from clear down the arm up to a more central area which means it is helping. I am sure I am overcompensating by using the left side a lot more. They do have me working both sides for most moves. I am sure you will be glad when the work in the basement is all done and things are normal again.

Valerie, it seems that you are pretty much prepared for anything when you are out like that.

Carolyn, I will go get my 2nd Shingrix vaccine on Monday. That will be two months.

Thanks for the shingrinx reminder. I need to get on the wait list ASAP.
Diane sue it’s good you are making some progress. Good PT can help so much.
DH and I try to be ready for the unexpected. It has been worth the small effort to plan ahead. The road we rode today had several trees down too, but someone had sawed them into chunks and cleared the road.

Good morning,

No workout today, they did not finish yesterday and most of the work that they will be still doing is in the area where all my workout stuff is. :(

Valerie, thanks for the info on that show. I don't get Netflix, but will check out the library to see if they have it. P.S. Just started season 9 of Shameless. Apparently there will be a season 10, I think it is going to air in November. I won't be able to see it until it comes out on DVD and is in the library.

Diane Sue, nice that you were able to go to the games get together. I also wish I would have mentioned the pain in my knee sooner with the PT people.

Hi to Carolyn, Judy & Lori,

Take care,

Unbelievable is a Netflix production I think very recent. It is really all about the women and how they were victimized and how others listened and supported each other. Simply one of the best series I’ve seen. Don’t miss it.

Back from physical therapy. She sure knows how to stretch and work those tight places out. She added another stretch for this area that I can do myself with the assistance of a pillow case. I need to start writing all of these down. I did put a couple in the notes portion of my agenda book. She keeps having me practice relaxing when she is stretching things. Also she keeps pushing and pulling my shoulders back where they should be. I have a lot of work to do to get there on that as when I do I feel I am tightening up muscles to get there. Nothing else today as I really need to get in some house cleaning. Hopefully the next couple of days I can get in some other work for lower, abs, and cardio.

Deb, if I had known to talk about what hurt when I started, I might be that much further ahead.

Valerie, I think I will plan on getting the Shingrix vaccine on Monday morning since I have PT in the afternoon. I put a reminder in my calendar for Monday.

Today I did Fit Split Boxing Bootcamp for 35 minutes and 285 calories burned. My average heart rate was 138 and maximum heart rate was 164.

I had labs done this morning and had to fast before. The not eating did not work out well for me. I took a small snack with me to eat as soon as I was in the car, but I developed a headache and nausea anyway. It was full blown by the time I got back home.

Diane Sue, I’m glad that your PT seems to be on a good path for your recovery.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Hi Everyone,

Sunday I did a Peloton HiiT Ride, Monday I did Yin Yoga, yesterday I did a Peloton HiiT Ride and this morning I did a Peloton Arms and Intervals Ride. I'm off today and tomorrow so I've been getting caught up on grocery shopping and cooking.

Deb-great job with LIVE Strong Express Upper Body. 4How is the weather there? It's still warmer than usual for this time of year here but it's been cooling off nicely at night.

Carolyn-great workouts this week! Thanks for the reminder on the Shingrix vaccine. I plan on getting my first one next week.

Diane Sue- I really enjoy Jessica Smith's workouts. I started doing them when I was injured and having low back issues and I ended up buying all of her DVD workouts. I like her YouTube ones too but don't do them that much.

Valerie-When I got my flu shot last week, the nurse practitioner at CVS said they had a good supply. I'm thinking about going in tomorrow but I have more days off next week and if it makes me feel bad for a few days I'd rather not be at work.

Hi to Lori!

Judy

Carolyn, I have done that with labs. I would stick a protein bar or a special drink in my purse so I could drink and eat something before I headed home. One time I did a really long cardio workout and the labs and physical were late morning. Talk about miserable by the time I got home. I have not done that since. But, I do like to follow the guidelines and be well fasted and I generally leave out my supplements as well since they can alter things. I usually stop the supplements ahead of time. I want those labs to be as accurate as possible.

Judy, I was kind of looking at the JS dvds myself. Since the youtube workouts are largely a part of whole workouts it would be nice to just do a whole workout. I got the impression a whole workout is not that long.

Diane Sue-Most of Jessica's workouts are around 30 minutes. The Walk Strong series DVDs are good. One of these days I'll do Walk Strong 3 again.

Reactions: WD

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.