Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 8/9

Hi everyone--

This morning I did AB (54:00).

Lori, that is a lot of weight your DH has lost. I bet he feels wonderful. I try to replace my workout sneakers once a year. Used to be a ryka fan, but the last 2 times I have bought Asics and they are so light and springy compared to my old Rykas. I noticed someone complaining about SB's streaming workouts over at Videofitness. She didn't like the current emphasis on hiit intervals. I guess she was smacked down by others on Facebook for expressing her opinion.

Judy, nice picture of you and DH. Wise to be careful with STS.

Deb, it's always nice to have one's retirement decision confirmed. Occasionally I miss teaching, but not enough to offer myself up to do even one class.

Valerie, I remember how much you liked that yoga class and how proud you were when you managed to do moves that you didn't think you could do.

Hi to Josie and Dawn!

Hi Ladies,

I went to Grit class on Monday, Karina on Tuesday, spinning yesterday an just finished with Karina.

Lori, your DH must be feeling great. My DH let 20lbs and has built muscle and his tennis game has improved. You have been a great role model for him and your co-workers.

Deb, I feel the same way every time I visit my old co-workers. Same drama and same complaints. It's been two years for me already :)

Valerie, great pictures :). Finally got to see your face.

Judy, same for you. Great picture of you and your DH and Chino.

Garance, I love the pictures of your farm and your DH and Max, I get to see them on Facebook.

Hi to Dawn!

Josie

Good evening ladies...

This morning I did the first 3 sets of Cathe Live Compound Giant Sets with light weight followed up with Ruthless Fast Slow Burn. About a 60 minute workout.

After lunch Christopher and I went to the John F. Kennedy Museum in Hyannis and we both enjoyed it a lot. Every year we say we are going and today we decided just to do it. Tonight we are going out with my Step Son and his new wife. He is my son's brother from my x's first marriage so technicaly he is not my step son any more but we still have a great relationship. Were you able to follow that? He lives in the area so we always try and catch up when we are here.

Josie..awesome that your DH is feeling very active. I am so proud of my DH. Was not easy at all for him.

Lynda...once a year changing out sneakers makes sense. My DH just does not get it. i used to use Rykas too but lately Reebok has been workoing for me. I saw that post about SB. Too bad that people jump all over when someone is just expressing their opinion. I did not see her actual post so perhaps she was crabby about it. I think SB's workouts online are a nice balance of traditional barre and Hiit. Not sure what that person was referring too. I like hiit barre but I love traditional barre more and I have been very happy with her workouts. New and old.

Deb...yes the 17 min one is from her steaming site. Most of her workouts are targeted and are 20 or so minutes. She certainly has plenty of full length but i like to string them together or add on. I feel for you with the DOM's. We have all been there!!!

Judy...thanks for the great picture!!! Now I can picture you when I post! Good to be cautious. My plan is to continue STS in the fall where I left off with my shoulder bugging me.

Hi to Valerie and Dawn!!

I just edited and corrected some of the typos. I rushed through posting and just reread and boy I needed to correct a bit!!!!

Last edited:
We did a road ride this morning, the same one from the picture I posted. we didn't do the hike this time as it's very foggy/hazy so no views and DH didn't bring regular tennies. hard to walk in cleats for 3 miles. It's only about 15 mile ride but is seriously hilly so it was WORK.

The cushioning in athletic shoes breaks down fairly quickly so even if the shoes look fine they probably aren't doing a good job supporting even if they don't look worn. we used to keep track of how many miles we put on the shoes, and when we hit 500, we'd replace them. I still use them for regular walking or riding. I've had trouble just ordering the same brand over and over. manufacturers change the lasts they use, maybe the country they're made. I used to wear saucony and then adidas but neither fit me the last shopping trip, although the older shoes of those brands still fit fine. In their rush to make everything "lighter" some companies have narrowed and flattened the toe box and my feet don't like that. so I am open to almost all brands when I shop because they all change.
Nice picture Judy. Now we all know what all of us look like!
Lori that is amazing weight loss. I am going nowhere with my modified WW approach. I was trying to print out 21 day diet you used but will have to use DH's printer. my printer is giving me grief too. rebellion of the machines...

I get an u/s of my foot tomorrow. it gets so darn sore from walking downhill. it's been an issue for 10 years now but more so this year. I have hopefully some options depending on what the scan shows.

so sad to hear about Jimmy Carter. What an awful family history he has for pancreatic cancer. I hope he doesn't have to suffer during this. he wasn't a great president but I always thought he was a kind person..

Hi Everyone,

Today was an easy day, I just did a short walk and some stretching. Tomorrow will be STS back & biceps.
DH and I were looking at the forecast for next week-rain every day :(

Deb-I know how you feel, I had major DOMS this morning from yesterday's leg workout.
I have a pair of Nikes that are very light that I use for lifting and bar work. I never ran in Nikes but they seem to work well for cross training.

Lynda-I am going to really be careful with STS. So far, meso 1 is ok, I'll have to see how meso 2 is and go from there. The last thing I want to is get injured again.

Josie-great workouts!

Lori-I like SB's workouts too. I like how well organized her site is and I really like that she has so many shorter options that can be added onto other workouts.

Valerie-good luck with your u/s tomorrow. That is very sad about Jimmy Carter.

Hi to Dawn!

Judy

Good morning & Happy Friday!

Well stage 2 of our grooming lesson was done....it took 4 hours yesterday. Stage 3 in 2 weeks and then we are done with the lesson portion. Hopefully we will be able to keep them in a "maintenance" mode for a while after that.

Our friend that is teaching us shows and breeds WFT's....she has 2 puppies right now, they are 10 weeks old. This is them on a Little Tykes slide in there exercise pen outside: Hope this works: If not I will have to use Picture Trail: In the first pic they are sleeping...then one realized John was taking a pic and popped her head up....:)

Lynda, I always forget to go over and see what is going on at VideoFitness.....I remembered that I have a hard time finding the forum, or something like that...

Josie, great workouts! Yes, "drama & complaints" and also other big changes that are going on, that know I would not be happy with either...so glad I am not there.

Lori, sounds like you are having a great vacation! I need my resident Techie Guru to help answer a question...do we need Adobe Flash player any longer? I am getting all kinds of pop up errors...all recent Google questions say that it is archaic and should be uninstalled, it's an open door for virus's and hackers. I posted on the Web site question forum to see if it is needed to play the clips etc here....I know it was required for YouTube, but supposedly not any longer...sorry for the long question!

Valerie good luck with the U/S of your foot, hope it is nothing serious that will need a decision on surgery etc.

Judy, ahhhh....Meso 1 and all those PUSH UPS!! and Wall Squats! :) LOL...you will be so glad to get to Meso 2.

Hi to Dawn,

Meeting a long time friend of mine that I met the first day of work...we both started on the same day in 1972...she moved to Wisconsin and then back to Buffalo years later. We have stayed in touch over the years. One of the many nice things that came from my job.

What is everyone doing this weekend?

Take care,

Attachments

• Puppies on Slide1.jpeg
    Puppies on Slide1.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 6
  • pippies on slide2.jpeg
    pippies on slide2.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Here is a pic of Kylee after grooming yesterday....one more "finishing" session, and a couple of weeks to let the coat fill out and she should be back to "normal"....LOL

Attachments

• Kyee after stage 2.jpeg
    Kyee after stage 2.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 5
Hi everyone--

This morning I did KCM's Cardio Quick Fix, both workouts (44:39).

Deb, seeing those puppies makes me want one. So cute! Kylee looks like she's asking a question with her cocked head. Adorable. My younger son is here this weekend playing in a golf tournament, so we are enjoying his company, and since it's a tax free weekend, I may go get a queen size mattress and box spring for the Amish bed frame I ordered awhile ago. I won't get the bed frame until September though

Judy, like Deb, I remember all of those pushups in Meso 1. She does a lot of them as finishers for chest in her recent one for ch, sh, tris. I guess they are supposed to be one of those old reliables (like squats and lunges), but I do get a bit tired of them. That is too bad that it's going to rain during your DH's vacation week.

Josie, as you can see, my DH does not need to lose any weight. I like to add quotes and photos every now and then to his page. He doesn't like me coming to the farmer's market, because then people stop to chat for too long. I may stop down there briefly tomorrow though because I'm not off to Jacob's Pillow.

Valerie, I hope you get some kind of resolution on your ankle. It must be bothersome when you enjoy hiking so much. I thought Carter was too naïve for Washington. He certainly has tried to live his life doing good in so many ways. I heard that he was planning another Habitat for Humanity building site and he's 90 years old.

Lori, I would love to go to the Kennedy museum some time. Were there any items of special interest??

Hi to Dawn!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Got my U/S, follow up with orthoped on Tuesday. Yes, I hope for some help here. It's worse than last year so probably not getting better on its own. doesn't look like much but is uncomfortable.
Yes, Carter was naïve for sure, not a "hardened" politician. I'm sure he meant well and has proven to be a caring thoughtful person, just not the right temperament for presidential politics IMO. things are rougher now than in the early 1980's.

Deb what would Kylee look like without grooming? she is wire haired fox terrier, right? never having one, I guess I assumed their coat grew like that! the little ones are adorable but what puppy isn't adorable??
I have friends I've kept in touch with since grade school. electronics (now) sure makes it easier. I never was good at handwritten letters.

Raining and thunderstorms here today. some day before yesterday too, but not enough water to matter. some locations got more, we got almost none. hoping for something more significant today. this is the worst drought in history. rivers are record low levels. need to reset with new gauges because they're so low that old gauges don't work.

I baked a bunch of vacation food today as it is the first day cool enough to use the oven. I don't get to eat much of it, but DH does.

oh my... grooming does make a difference! such cute little guys. but a little scruffy without some control. my hair is like that too!

Did x-train bi's/tri's, plus core 1 today. need to get back regularly with upper body. my right side is definitely weaker, not ridiculous... but less fit than the left. I reduced weight a little from previous but did the whole thing.

the good news is we got significant rain today, and it came down steadily, not a downpour. does not end the drought but must have taken down some fires on the west side and helped our plants and trees. so nice to listen to it. the east side of the mountains got lightning and no rain unless it changed this evening. at least rain here means fire resources can be focused there.

Last edited:
Good morning & Happy Weekend!

Thunderstorms all night...and there is still lightning going on in the sky. At 2:33 am we got flash flood warning messages on our phones from the National Weather Service....John's was a siren that made me jump out of my skin. I thought the house alarm was going off. On my phone I just get a text message. He is changing it as I am typing here...:).

Lynda, No Jacob's Pillow today? Ahh...a tax free weekend. We get those on occasion...usually right before school starts.

Valerie, so good that you finally got some rain...I hope it helps, would be good if it was in the fire areas as well. What vacation food did you bake? When are you going on vacation?

Judy, hope you can get out on those bikes with your DH.

Hi to Dawn, Josie,

No class today, not sure what I am going to do...probably some HouseMax...

Have a great weekend.

Good morning all...
it's still raining. has rained steadily since yesterday. not downpours but steadily. we will get at least 2 inches of rain! such a relief. supposed to dry out and warm up again but at least on the west side it's a huge relief. the east side is another climate. they got a load of lightning and more fires started and not much rain. Eastern WA is desert like, pine trees, sagebrush and grassland and once fires get going it's hard to control them. the good thing is that with the west side getting very wet, it frees up fire crews to concentrate on the east. Oregon and CA are having big problems too. it's hard to even keep up with all of the fires.

Deb I made molasses cookies, chocolate muffins, a raspberry coffee cake, and brownies. I bake, cut up and freeze. DH eats daily. I don't get any unless we are hiking or riding, and I still limit it. he has a sweet tooth and can afford the calories. I can't. they last a long time frozen. being pre-cut, I can grab and pack portions for vacations. I freeze portions in zip locks. Frozen is "out of sight, out of mind" for me. I stick to lighter recipes, small portion size and used to be able to enjoy more often, but not anymore. I settled on Kind bars as the best snack for me. tasty and take some chewing, mostly nut and dried fruit based with limited sugar. still experimenting with coffee drinks. starbucks double shot light is good and 70 calories. will probably have several things to pick from Stok being one of them. I'll either have to go to REI for gel shots. the grocery has Clif chews, not gels. so no chance to try those yet. did not like specific "energy drinks" like Red bull so far.

Too bad about that alert... nothing like a siren to get up, sweating bullets.
we want to go on vacation for a week before labor day depending on weather/fire situation. no point in driving to some remote place to see the scenery and hike if it's under a smoke plume. we've made that mistake before.

Good afternoon ladies!

I am home! Arrived late morning and have been unpacking and washing clothes all afternoon. No workout today, however, yesterday I did do Cathe Live Kickboxing with compound weights. I only did the kickboxing which was about 30 minutes. Short workout but great.

Lynda...the JFK Museum was nice and we enjoyed it. It is a self guided tour of really nice pictures, posters, etc with history under each. I have always been fancinated with JFK and his family so I enjoyed the history. Was nice to see the early pictures that I have never seen before. Nothing really stood out for me though because I have read a few books on JFK. There were a couple of small rooms with videos playing but we did not stop to watch.

Deb..I saw that someone helped you with Flash. I do still have a couple of programs I use that still require flash. Kylee is such a cutie!!!!

Valerie...wow!! Great job on all the baking. Awesome idea to individually wrap. I hope you get some relief from your ankle. Must be really bothersome with you being so active.

Judy...I do not like Meso 1 at all. When I start up again I am going straight to Meso 2 then 3. If I ever do the program again I will completely skip 1 and go straight to 2. Great job though and you are doing great!

Hi to Josie and Dawn!

go away, please! Unless you have something to offer related to working out, I do not want you at our checkin. Our comments on politics are occasional and do not affect how we care for one another. I am actually disgusted that you Felt like saying anything. You are an unwelcome troll.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.