Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 8/8

Traildoggie

Cathlete
good morning.
I took friday off. saturday I did stacked upper body premix along with more push ups and curls. only about half an hour. we are finally getting some rain. such a relief as it has been terribly, dangerously dry.

we are getting going on a project or two. ordered a new burner for my cooktop. I don't like the newer ones very much and it sounds like the glass surface might be more fragile than the GE one I have now. only one burner, of course the one I use most, is not heating well anymore. so we will replace one burner rather than the whole cooktop. thats the plan anyway.
also replacing a toilet. its old and is now leaking slightly and causing a water hammer. this will be tougher since new ones are bigger than this one and the door swing is getting close to the front of the toilet. might take some research. nothing more fun than toilet duty!

Last edited:
Good afternoon. Today I did my usual Jane Adams Gentle Yoga Morning Energy practice, which was 18 minutes. Otherwise, this a rest day for me.

Valerie, good luck with your home projects.

Hello Judy, Cathy, and Diane Sue.

Last edited:
Getting kind of crazy here with all the last minute things getting Nick ready to head for TX and Derek back to NMU. Then Saturday except for Nick we all ran away for the night as it was the neighbors annual party with live band. Derek and I went to my parents, him mostly to see them again before he goes back to Marquette and me because I didn't want to have to listen to it all and didn't want to go over. Usually the boys and I go over for an hour or so, but we literally only know the guys that live there, and there's not a single person in our house who enjoys big parties. My husband decided late in the week to go spend the night at his sisters since he hadn't seen her in almost two years. Today Nick has multiple appointments and we will be going through his stuff to see what he needs from our kitchen supplies and figuring out what he's taking. He's even more minimalist than I am. LOL Sat down with them last night to figure out the rest of the week and when the heck I could shop. Thursday Derek has an appointment and then he and I are doing the Lansing zoo. Friday Nick and I are walking at the zoo and then going to my parents in the afternoon so he can see them before he goes. Saturday he leaves bright and early, which is just a phrase because I'm sure it'll still be dark. Workouts will be hit or miss and I already missed the last two days. Though I did walk at the zoo Saturday.

Today I did part of Athletic Training from the Low Impact Series. My time was 45 minutes with 270 calories burned. My average heart rate was 121 and maximum heart rate was 151. Yesterday I had a slice of cherry pie for dessert and I really felt it today! I didn’t feel much like working out but did it anyway.

Cathy, you do have a lot going on now. Just enjoy the time with your family and fit in your workouts when you can.

Waving hello to Valerie, Judy and Diane Sue.

I agree with carolyn. call the week "active recovery" with plenty of walking.

I ended up not doing anything much yesterday. some gardening work and shopping for a new toilet. it wasn't hard to find one that will fit but toilets are a lot taller now and most have elongated bowls. the door swing will clear OK but we got a round fronted one for the bit of extra room. of course it was missing some parts. seems to happen all the time now, even with sealed cartons. sigh.

Toilet project is in and done. plumbing is always harder than you think it will be with twists and turns along the way. missing parts from Kohler are on the way and HD gave us a credit for the missing parts on the toilet. got it done though! also grocery shopping but no workout. today we are mt biking. then we are in for another serious heat wave. is there anyone who can't see climate change is here and beating us on the head? this is not the "climate" this region has had all the time I've lived here, since 1975. things are changing rapidly.

we are ramped up on the covid issues. I never stopped masking so no change for me. we got some N95 masks. this area has had decent vaccine compliance with the vaccine but enough deniers to keep all of us at risk.
Cathy can you Zoom with them? I am amazed at how good a connection that is.

I did IMAX3 combos today. That's my go to, I want to do something fun workout.

Valerie Zoom with the boys? We all have iPhones, so we can FaceTime. We've never done it much, because I've never gone that long without seeing them, and we text every day, but I'm going to try to do it with Nick more often.

This morning I did JS WS3 Cardio Hit. That was 31 minutes and 224 calories burned. Average heart rate was 133 and maximum heart rate was 175. I had a dental appointment today that took much too long. The office is back to having patients wait in their cars, and my wait was 45 minutes. Anyway, it’s done.

Valerie, glad that the plumbing project was successful and that you were not delayed by the missing parts.

Cathy, great job with your IMAX combos. Video calls, whatever technology you use are great when you can’t be together in person. Some of my family has Samsung phones and two of us have iPhones so we don’t FaceTime for family calls. My middle daughter refuses to have a smartphone on principal and still has a flip phone! She has always had a Mac computer and uses technology for work. In fact, we call her the queen of Zoom since she has so many meetings and classes using it. I thought she was about to lose the smartphone battle since her phone will no longer be supported in January. But no—ATT is sending her a new flip phone comparable to what she has!!

Dians Sue, please let us know how you are doing.

Judy, I hope that you aren’t working too hard. Have a wonderful day everyone.

back from our ride ...2 hours. there is a hill at the beginning that I never got up before, but I did today. so proud of myself! :p it isn't even THAT bad a hill, but its right at the very beginning of the ride , long and loose rocks but this morning was success.

I am far from an expert on this, fairly stupid actually, but DH has a macbook we use. it worked better for us than facetime. whatever works. we do it with the cousin who moved to AZ. they are in hawaii right now and we just zoomed with them from there. I had a video conference with my physician a few months ago that started out facetime but switched to zoom after a few minutes. bigger screen is way nicer. gotta remember to allow for time differences if there are any, and agree on a time and who sets up the call. we have cousin call us.

its so frustrating to see covid control go backwards. if we had gotten closer to herd immunity we would have had a reasonable chance of holding off another surge but with so many people unvaccinated, there is plenty of protoplasm for the virus to invade. the vaccine deniers are missing the whole point..... the enemy is the covid virus, not that we are requiring precautions/vaccines! a virus does not give one whit about your "freedom". more viral spread opens doors for new and possibly worse variants. we have to get coordinated on understanding this! viruses are constantly mutating, we need to tamp this down.

Diane sue where are you? I need to go back to last weeks thread to see if I missed something.

Carolyn I expect we will still be waiting in our car. DH and I have routine cleaning coming up soon. we get early am appts back to back so usually no wait.

Last edited:
This morning I did Chiseled Upper Body which was 41 minutes and 151 calories burned. My average heart rate was 105 and maximum heart rate was 134. A tree service company is here today removing some dead and dying trees from our yard. There are a few more that we would like to have removed, but we need to go through the HOA for approval. Also tree removal is rather expensive .

Valerie, great job with the ride. You should be proud of yourself.

Hello to Judy, Cathy, and Diane Sue.

Did a road ride this morning. not hot yet but next 4 days will be 90 -ish. this morning we were early but not early enough. wow... headwind. its amazing that no matter which way we rode the wind was against us. doesn't seem physically possible but it was an onshore steady breeze and it was a grunt most of the time. I grade myself strenuous on WW for both mt and road rides. we ranged from 8 mph uphill to 23 mph depending.

the county I live in is back to requiring masks in public places. numbers aren't that high yet but they jumped up suddenly, doubling from last week.

Today I did CDorner Basic Step and Abs, #135 (same as Debbie) 46:40 minutes, heart rate 148/178, 268 calories, 4,379 steps. Chris has it listed at 128 bpm, but I added the second riser and added some intensity as she does give some suggestions for that since it is a basic workout. I also did CDorner Upper Body and Abs she did this week, but skipped the warm up, push ups, and abs, so this was 36 minutes, 112 calories, heart rate 102/128. Each exercise group is done twice291 steps. I then finished with her mobility workout for this week, 30 minutes, 56 calories, 35 steps. Total calories today was 436, 1 hour and 52 minutes, 4,705 steps. The upper body workout is pretty doable. I just did not want to do planks that I saw with side planks etc. Also I did some abs with the cardio. Yesterday I went to ladies game day. This was a small group today. 8 of us is all. They got me a birthday cake and we had a nice visit and played games. I also needed to hit TJMaxx while at that end of the city to get a gift card for my granddaughter's birthday Sunday. I had my 9 year old grandson here Friday, Saturday, and Sunday since through all of the virtual school and everything, I have not been able to have him over for a fun time. We went to a an amusement park Friday where we did go carts and miniature golf. It was really hot, but we were the only ones doing the miniature golf and go carts, so that was nice. They were not busy inside either so to get cooled off we did some games inside and got a drink before returning outside. It being a Friday during the day helped as well. We go on a short vacation week after next. Canceled the trip to Missouri since we had not been to Branson, and are just going somewhere here in our state.

The upper body workout was timed for each move
Rnd 1 push up to child pose
1arm row 15# db she used 20
lying on back 12# dbs alternating 1 arm pull over with opposite leg drop I used 10's and and did not pull over as far as she did overhead
chest fly with a glute bridge 15's but I used 12 one round and 10 the next
repeat

rnd 2 abs which I skipped

rnd 3
alternating hammer curl/twist(supinate?) she uses 15's I used 12's and second round did just hammer curls
overhead press/3 triceps extensions or option front raise and kickbacks she uses 12's and drops to 10's I used 8's
3 w curl pusles/ rotate in to front and out I used 8's

rnd 4 abs which I skipped

I will come back to read in awhile. My husband is up and I need to get him something to eat before he leaves for work tonight.

Hi Everyone,

I just realized I haven't posted anything yet this week. I was off work Sunday and went shopping with Chris. He's been working out and dieting very hard this summer and has lost over 20 lbs since May. He needed some new jeans since most of his old ones are too baggy now. In the past he has had a habit of losing weight in the summer and putting it back on in the winter but I think he's more serious this time as he has made some pretty significant diet changes that seem to be permanent. Sunday night we went to the gym and did an upper body workout. I took a rest day Monday and did an hour of Yin Yoga.

Yesterday I did 4 DS Legs in the morning and a 90 minute Peloton Endurance ride in the evening. I hadn't planned on riding that long but it worked out well. This morning I did a 45 minute Peloton Power Zone ride.

Carolyn-Great job with Athletic Training, WS3 Cardio Hit, and Chiseled Upper Body. I haven't been working too many hours recently but I think my hours might go back up a little due to HD being so short staffed.

Valerie-Awesome riding this week. Nice job with the hill!

Diane Sue-Great job with CDorner Basic Step and Abs and Upper Body and Abs.

Cathy-Nice job with the IMAX3 combos.

Nothing today as I shopped. Nick's last day and again it stormed and again the zoo lost power. They have had the worst luck this year. While in most ways it's a plus, they are out in the country and there it's pretty forested. Tomorrow is Derek's physical and then we are going to the zoo in Lansing. He wants to see the young rhino one last time before it's sent to California where it will be placed with a young female. We also got to see her this summer in Ohio. Friday I'm doing the zoo and then my parents with Nick. At least the zoo if they have their power back.

Valerie fantastic that you made it up the hill! My family uses FB messenger for our video chats, since it's easy for my Dad to use. Nick got rid of all his social media except Snapchat, so we can't do that, but neither of them have ever wanted to video chat with me! just their friends. LOL Only time I ever had that wind in the face both directions was when I road the Mackinac Bridge and it's uphill both directions! We thought we could coast down, but no we even had to pedal to do that. LOL At Whole Foods this morning, I only saw 3 people without masks and all staff was masked. Last week there was still staff without and quite a few customers as well. Meijer wasn't nearly that high, but even that was much higher than last week.

Carolyn great job on the Cardio Hiit and Chisled Upper Body! My husband still doesn't have a personal cell phone. You'd have thought the world was ending when his office made him get one last year and got rid of all their desk phones. He's staying remote so he wouldn't have it anyway. My Dad has been talking for awhile about going back to a flip phone, he hasn't done it yet though.

Diane Sue good job with the step, upper body and ab workouts!

Judy that's great that your husband has lost 20 lbs, though I still find it completely unfair how fast men can lose weight. Great job with the legs, Peloton and yoga workouts!

Cathy-I know what you mean! Men do tend to lose weight quickly. In the past Chris didn't even change his diet much, he would just run several times a week in the summer and the weight would fall off, lol!

I had to cut off some more basil. I have been making a lot of it into pesto and freezing in small tubs. Today I made a favorite from one of my recipe books where you cook zucchini in a bit of olive oil till it starts to brown then add some fresh garlic and cook for a bit then add grape tomatoes and just cook till it they start to break down then stir in pesto. It is topped with salmon, but I like it alone. I made non dairy pesto this last time and it is fine with nutritional yeast in it.

Valerie, I have found that lately the newer toilets do not flush all that well. We bought Kohler at our other house in the elongated ones and it did not even want to flush the toilet paper. Then I look online and the company says to hold down the handle for solid waste. I guess that included the toilet paper. The ones here are a different brand Western which I have never heard of, but works better. It did take up more room at the other house when my husband came home with the long one. We had replaced the seal under the tank once and a year later it was giving out so we just bought a new toilet and replaced the floor while we were at it.

Judy, that is wonderful that your husband has lost the weight and is sticking to his diet. Nice that you are able to go to the gym together.

Carolyn, HOA is sometimes a pain. We checked out tree removal on a small new tree in the front yard that had a tough time to the winter freeze. We called a nursery to see if they could remove it and plant a new tree and it was so much money. My husband talked to the guy that mows our yard and he did not ask for much and we purchased a new evergreen tree to plant in it's place. My husband and my daughter's boyfriend helped him get it out. So, it cost us around 150 with the new tree and removal as opposed to around a thousand. Nice job on the upper body workout today. That is funny about the flip phone. I have a couple of friends that still use the flip phones. My family all have either Samsung or Iphones. I find it weird with my Samsung that when I get texts my answers go in above their texts and when a group text it gets confusing. That is only with people that have the iphones.

Cathe, we got rid of social media. I miss seeing my grandchildren's pictures they post, but they will text them to me. I ordered from Whole Foods and generally I can put it in one evening and get it the next morning, but it took me two days to get a delivery opening and when I went back to add 3 items I missed, they said due to high demand they did not add them to my order. I guess they are busy. Prices are getting crazy on things.

the internal workings of toilets have changed over the years. our toilet was na old one and we could not find a flapper that fit anymore. we've been dealing with a small leak for months now. it had to do with that toilet so although otherwise it worked Ok, we finally replaced it. 30 yo. toilets use way less water than old ones. seems 1.28 gal is the standard now. they also vary considerably in height from about 14.5 inches to close to 19 inches high. this is before you put on a seat. best to measure what you have now before you buy another. I'm pretty short. some of the tall ones are unpleasantly high. I read reviews first and the ones we picked from all flushed OK. so many choices! we have another old toilet to replace but we will do the same thing, wait until we replace the flooring this winter. it doesnt leak.

oh that is so true about men. they cut out dessert and lose 10 lbs in a week. if only....! my DH is like a damn eating machine. constantly eating. better foods than before but constant. I can't eat 20% of what he downs in a day.
judy bravo to your husband. that's a lot and it sounds like solid changes, not a fad diet.

I never use social media much. seems it makes everyone unhappy. I have to use facebook for a couple groups that I need information from, and that's the only place they post it. the tree farm where we mt bike is one of them. I keep the account alive for those only.

Last edited:
This morning I did LIS Lower Body Trisets. That was 40 minutes and 198 calories burned. My average heart rate was 117 and maximum heart rate was 145.

Diane Sue, great job with CDorner Basic Step and Abs and Upper Body and Abs. I’m sure that you enjoyed the Ladies Game Day and having your grandson for the weekend. Our tree project was $3500 but I am very pleased with the results. One of the things that they did was trim the tree canopy all across the back yard. I can’t believe what a difference it makes.

Judy, that’s great that your husband has lost weight. My husband has lost 26 pounds over the past year and a half. He quit his part time job after last spring’s pandemic lock down and left behind the cookies, candy, and vending machine items that he was eating away from home. I knew that he was eating junk food, but I didn’t realize how much.

Valerie, we replaced a toilet a few years ago and I still don’t like the taller height. Sometimes “improvements” don’t seem like improvements to me. My husband obviously loves sweets, which is why I make things for him and freeze them in individual portions. Although it’s still a treat, I try to make healthier versions of most foods, including desserts.

Waving hello to Cathy.

Carolyn I feel the same way about toilet height. companies list height as "chair" height or "comfort" height. some fit tall or elderly people better? measuring from floor to top of the bowl with a tape is easy and reliable. toilets had clear diagram/measurements on the outside of the box. no surprises. adding on a seat adds more height. ours ended up being a little over 15 inches.
congrats to your DH for trimming off that much weight with a minor change in eating habits.

a load of errands this morning, will do upper body later.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.