Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 8/29

Good morning! I did Boss Bands Total Body again today. Much more comfortable with gloves and I felt like my positioning was better than the first time. Only time I need to use different bands than Cathe is when she does biceps using the heavy and medium bands combined and I use the medium and light. It's a good overall workout.

Another rest day for me. Cathy, I still haven’t explored my new Boss Bands workouts. With my daughter here my schedule is a little different. I hope to try them soon.

Hello to everyone and have a wonderful day.

I was in a rush this morning to get out to ride. it was a nice morning but traffic gets heavier as the day goes on. we ride over 3 bridges, two don't have a bike/pedestrian lane. not long bridges, but there is only one safe way to ride it, and that is by "taking the lane". it is huge mistake to squish over to the right side on the rail. if drivers see their driving lane clear, they will pass on your left, WAY too close for safety. a bicyclist has to ride down the center of the lane. any debris like broken glass will blow to the edge creating a hazard. letting a car pass too close is a huge mistake. it may seem better to tuck to the side, but most drivers don't have good enough judgement and pass too close. If you have any doubts...... sit in a parking lot and watch drivers pull in and out of parking spaces! Scary some of these people have licenses! I have felt the heat from a vehicle on my left side as it goes past. that is WAY too close. drivers can slow down and wait the few minutes it takes me to cross. I go as fast as I can, and we go early so don't interrupt more than a few cars at the most. so speech over...

it was a nice 25 mile ride.
yesterday I did x train bi's and tri's burn sets and the ab workout. I'm seeing improvement on my upper arms. I used 15 pounds for most of the workout. 12's on a few things. not sure I will get to the 20 lbs cathe uses, but 15 was a big step forward for me. my biceps are not like hers. triceps though, I think I can go heavier than cathe but haven't yet.

cathy I wear gloves for all workouts. all rides too I got some with wrist wraps. keeps them in place and adds a layer of light support. I get callouses and blisters easily so I glove up always.

Saturday was a rest day for me. Yesterday I did a 45 minute Peloton ride.

Cathy-I'm like Valerie, I wear gloves for all of my workouts. They really help me a lot. I will try the band bicep work with the medium and light bands the next time I do it.

Carolyn-I hope you have a wonderful visit with your daughter.

Valerie-Nice job with the ride and the xtrain workouts. Doing the arm work with 15 lbs is awesome!

Hi to Diane Sue.

Have a great week everyone!

This morning I did ICE Rock’m Sock’m Kickboxing for 48 minutes and 346 calories burned. Average heart rate was 131 and maximum heart rate was 154. I finally previewed the Total Body Boss Bands workout. I plan to do that one tomorrow.

Valerie, nice ride yesterday. Riding over bridges with very close traffic is good a reason to get ahead of the traffic as much as possible. Nice job with Burn Sets Bis and Tris. Congratulations on your improving upper body strength. I have worked up to being able to use 15# sometimes but nothing heavier.

Judy great job with the Peloton ride. My daughter is here for another 3 week stay and is working remotely most days. Her close friend is getting married this week which is the reason for this visit. It’s a “micro” wedding with only vaccinated close family in attendance.

Hello to Dianne Sue and Cathy.

Last edited:
I did a 40 min spin premix Pedal Power, a set of push ups, and a yoga premix. hoping the yoga will stretch out the hip /lower back area where the bursitis is. going to try and make this a regular thing. the med Im taking takes the pain away entirely but I dont want to repeat this and I dont know the cause.

I know nobody road rides here, but I'm trying to pass on why bicyclists may do what they do. DH and I are pretty experienced riders. so far we've stayed safe . I'm more careful driving around bicycles than I used to be. once I would have thought riding down the middle of the lane was a death wish, but sometimes it's the best choice. If all drivers were careful when passing it wouldn't be needed but too many people think they can pass a bike in their lane when an oncoming car prevents them from using the passing lane. they will be WAY too close. or they pass and cut back into their lane too quickly. riding past parked cars..... most people don't look for a bike when they open a door. coming up on drivers right at an intersection.. the driver turning right will likely not notice you. all the trash and broken glass on the roadway blows to the edge. sometimes the "bike lane" is a minefield. some resentful drivers throw things at bike riders.

Carolyn good news ...they are taking covid seriously and limiting numbers.

Last edited:
Today I did Boss Bands Total Body which was 57 minutes and 203 calories burned. My average heart rate was 106 and maximum heart rate was 138. I loved the workout and the new fabric bands. I already feel it and I will probably be sore tomorrow.

Valerie, great job with Pedal Power, push-ups and the yoga. I hope it helps the bursitis. It’s hard to know what causes some of our pain and/or injuries. Yes, they are taking serious precautions for the wedding. The bride is a pediatrician, her parents are near my age, and my daughter, the maid of honor, has cancer.

Hello to Cathy, Judy, and Diane Sue. Have a great day everyone.

we mt biked this morning. a bit over 2 hours. started raining hard on our way down, shortening our route. cold rain! I had enough clothes, DH did not. he got cold quickly. a wake up call for what we take. he wears a yellow bike jacket. I take a hiking jacket with a hood. I wore a long sleeve synthetic shirt. I was fine. wind chill going downhill is a serious issue even dry. when wet it happens very quickly. a good ride and a lesson learned.

carolyn I am happy she is taking this seriously, and not throwing off caution just because its a wedding.

Today I did CDorner intermediate step aerobices # 143, 37 minutes, (80's tunes) heart rate 132/75, 190 calories. I think the calories should have been a little more as mid workout my heart rate went down from the 140 range to 108 and was staying there. I finally paused and took my Garmin off and wiped it down and when I went back to working out my heart rate went up again. Not sure what that was all about. Maybe too much sweat or something. I don't think I have wiped it off for a few days though like I normally do. Charged it and went to church Sunday, yesterday plugged it in and forgot about it as I was in a hurry to go to the store. There was also vacation days. I also did CDorner Low Impact all Standing workout first 15 minutes heart rate 147/165, 97 calories, 1,528 steps. I wanted more cardio and this one seems like it will be a good one. I finished off with today's Mobility Flow to warm up and stretch tight muscles. It had a nice soundtrack for it. More yogi squat time than I like. Not that it isn't good for me though. Chris talks about all of the benefits of yogi squats. This was 32 minutes, 57 calories, heart rate 83/100, 83 steps. Total time was 83 minutes, 344 calories, 5,259 steps.

Yesterday I did Live 30 Minute Hiit Express. I got a good workout, but it's a mix of high and low impact and while I can do all the moves there are a few that I really just don't care for. Today I did the Boss Bands Glutes and Core and was able to get my bands on much faster, and I felt like my positioning of the bands was better. A bit of trial and error with that and Cathe talks about using various positioning for certain moves.

Valerie do you have laws there for the distance cars must give bikes when passing? Michigan's is only 3'. They tried to get it to 5' awhile back, but apparently it wouldn't pass. I always give bikes plenty of distance, never try to pass them on a hill etc. Motorcycles scare me more than bikes because generally it's easier to spot bikes. I've had way to many motorcycles come flying up out of nowhere. Sounds like you got a good 25 mile ride it, and great job with the weights on Xtrain bi's and tri's and Power Pedal, pushups and yoga! Sorry your ride today got rained on.

Judy great job with the Peloton ride!

Carolyn enjoy your visit with your daughter. Great job with Rock'm Sock'm and BB Total Body!

Diane Sue great job with the CDorner workouts! I have a love/hate relationship with Smartwatches. I'm trying to figure out why I've started getting more zone minutes in a workout than the workout is long. Monday it showed 51 zone minutes for a 29 minute workout!

Today I did Ellen Barrett’s Peace, Love, and Cardio. That was 30 minutes and 164 calories burned. Average heart rate was 120 and maximum heart rate was 153.

Diane Sue, great job with CDorner Intermediate Step and Mobility Flow. Yogi squats aren’t my favorite, but that’s because my hips are so tight. I guess that means that I really need to do them more!

Valerie, good job with finishing the ride in pouring rain. It sounds very uncomfortable .

Cathy, great job with Live HiiT Express and Boss Bands Glutes and Core. I have not upgraded to a smart watch yet. I’m waiting until I get a new phone. I’m happy with my Fitbit Charge at the moment.

Waving hello to Judy.

doesnt take too many irresponsible motorcyclists to given the activity a bad name. speeding, zooming in and out between cars, etc... they are so fast and agile but so vulnerable too. we try to bicycle out of the way of traffic by sticking to low use roads, days and times that aren't busy. cathy I don't know if we have a specific law but 3 feet is definitely too close. plenty of rides dont work for us anymore because traffic is too heavy for it to be pleasant. some areas people are overall rude and aggressive about bike riders too. we don't ride places like that once identified. last one was near Spokane last spring. many drivers seemed to rev up their engines, spewed dust, passed too close and generally were rude even though it was a minor rural road and was marked as a bike route with a few lakes at the end, but no. we bagged it early after less than an hour and went back to our camper. it wasn't fun. you are so vulnerable on a bike, it doesnt take a lot to get hurt.

Carolyn it rained pretty hard for a short time and I stayed dry. we have helmet covers and I have a hood on my jacket. DH was surprised his acket soaked thru in 30 seconds. we wear bright yellow for visibility for road riding, and he wore the same jacket to mt bike. the jacket was not suitable for rain, for sure!

no workout yet, had an early dental appointment and then shopping. getting it done before the holiday weekend.

Live Metabolic Burn this morning. That one was tough for me, though I think part of it was I got up early to do it before I shopped. Lots of empty shelves this morning at Whole Foods, though they had everything I wanted. Meijer also had some, but it wasn't so noticeable as they are so much bigger. I ended up having to buy a box of 120 trash bags because it was all they had in kitchen size, as those shelves were super bare. I got the last box of small ones.

Valerie it really doesn't take many to give a bad rap to something. I'll add snowmobiles into that mix, too. Up in the UP a lot of snow mobile trails cross the highways (these are two lane highways) and they cut things to darn close at times. I had one trip in particular a few years ago, that was rough because they were all over the place. And at times when they are riding parallel to you on a trail and you are going 65 mph (speed limit) they are going so fast they blow past you. A lot of accidents and fatalities up there every winter. Last winter there were 14 fatalities in Michigan, most in the UP. Like with other things, speed and alcohol play a huge role.

Carolyn great job with the Peace, Love, Cardio workout!

No workout tomorrow as I'm going to get basic bloodwork done (I will be there when they open) and then it's my turn to be off to the dentist.

My workout today was CDorner Low Imapact Cardio all low impact and standing, 40 minutes, heart rate 154/177, 266 calories, 3,778 steps. I then did CDorner Full hour Thigh and Butt Circuit with dumbbells and bands, stopping at 41 minutes, heart rate 114/139, 155 calories, 629 steps. I finished with CDorner 20 minute mobility workout, 22 minutes, 42 calories, heart rate 81/100. Total time was 1 hour 49 minutes, 4,407 steps, 463 calories. Chris had some problems with buffering at first, then turned off her timer and it quit buffering. She thinks it is youtube. After she turned off the timer you tube gave her a signal of a problem.
CDorner Thigh and Butt was done with each round doing 45 seconds work
rnd 1
goblet squat Chris 30# db, me 20#
forward lunge alternating 15# dbs
deadlift 20# dbs (I think Chris 30#)
floor leg curl with dumbbell between feet 8# option move is to do bridges I did the curl
repeat 2 more times
rnd 2
reverse lunge alternating 15# dumbbells
side to side lunge 20# Chris me 15# dumbbell
1 leg reverse lunge all right 15# dumbbell
side to side lunge 15# dumbbell
1 leg reverse lunge all left 15# dbs
rnd 3 bands and dumbbell
side step twice step in squat
squat hold
bridge with band bridge with band and 20# dumbbell (Chris uses 30#)
repeat 2 more times
rnd 4
more strength work starting with a forward lean lunge, crossback move. I did not do this.

This morning I did P30 Perfect Pump Upper Body for 37 minutes and 174 calories burned. My average heart rate was 114 and maximum heart rate was 138.

Valerie, I keep forgetting that there is a holiday weekend coming up. I feel so far removed from it since we have no plans and haven’t been taking about it. Smart to get your shopping done ahead. I went to the store this morning, but I still need some additional things that they didn’t have.

Cathy, great job with Live Metabolic Burn. I sometimes struggle with that type workout if I do it before breakfast when I first get up. I like to have blood work done as soon as the office opens too. I don’t do well with fasting and I want it to be over as soon as possible!

Diane Sue, 1 hour 49 minutes was a long workout session. Great job.

Hello to Judy. Have a great day everyone.

Got my bloodwork done, and then the dentist appointment. My nerves in my lower jaw are screwed up and numbing it is always an iffy proposition. He just had to replace a bit along the bottom of a tooth, and after the second shot was able to do it. Didn't charge me (insurance wouldn't have paid for that) said that it had only been a year and a half and it should have lasted longer. Have an appointment with my doctor the 14th to go over the bloodwork. Hoping to workout and then do the zoo in the morning. Going down below 50 again tonight, so that will help keep the morning crowds away.

Diane Sue that was a great, long workout you got it!

Carolyn great job with the P30 PP Upper Body.

My sister and her husband are driving to my parents overnight tonight from NC. Gathering on Sunday. I'm going down early for extra visiting time, and my brother and SIL will come in the afternoon, we'll go outside and sit at that point since they will not get vaccinated. Hoping it will set a precedent that they need to distance themselves if they are visiting my parents. They have to be masked indoors for work, though my brother is outside most of the time, but I doubt they are masking otherwise.

We haven't gone anywhere requiring a drive on a holiday weekend for decades. always unpleasant. guaranteed. planning on a hike with another couple tomorrow, even that might be rough coming back.

I never remember everything, so Im sure to make a fast stop at the store sometime, but got most of it done. we plan on leaving for MT right after the holiday so I did that shopping too. already DH says he wants more peaches. what I saw didn't seem good, but he's insisting so that will be one thing.

did a road ride this morning, 2 hours a 22 miles. really nice this morning but traffic was already heavier than normal.

cathy snowmobiles are unfortunately usually driven by total a*holes. some activities just attract a certain personality and attitude. not everyone.... but a high percentage. reckless, speeding, triggering avalanches. every year a few people die from "high marking" here. good riddance. no respect for wilderness boundaries. debris strewn everywhere. tools, clothing, money, wallets, and trash. I cant believe how much stuff gets left behind. and, of course, beer cans. everyone can carry them in full, but cant manage to carry out the empties. they've taken over most of the areas we used to ski or snowshoe.

I sure like Perfect pump although it goes too fast for me to switch yo weights. I have to pause that one to move weights around. still works out Ok.

Tuesday I did Boss Bands Glutes & Core in the morning. Later in the evening I went to the gym with Chris and we did legs & triceps. Yesterday I did a 1 hour walk in the morning and 45 minutes of Peloton rides in the evening and today I did a 30 minute Peloton ride after work. I plan on doing some upper body and core work tonight.

Cathy-Great job with Live Metabolic Burn. So far the stores in this area have been well stocked. Hopefully we won’t see any shortage issues like last year.

Carolyn-Great job with Perfect Pump Upper Body. I forgot about the holiday weekend too and unfortunately I got scheduled to work all weekend including Monday since I didn’t schedule those days off ahead of time. I have a quite a bit of time off later in September and October so that will make up for it.

Valerie-Nice job with the rides this week. Enjoy your hike tomorrow!

Diane Sue-Nice job with CDorner Low Imapact Cardio all low impact and standing. I’m seeing more mentions of Chris’s workouts on FB. She’s getting popular.

Have a great weekend!

Today I did CDorner Cardio Core first round as she does the 12 rounds 3 times and I did not want to do it again. This was 21 minutes, actually 17 minutes+4 minutes as I started over because I had turned my Garmin off to switch from the Samsung TV that seems to have a problem playing youtube as the time and screen were not right again, to the computer. I needed to do it in the carpeted room to use gliding discs. This was heart rate 127/159, 110 calories, 727 steps. I then did Kelly Coffey Box Fit workout #1 dvd which is the boxing workout, 34 minutes, 222 calories, heart rate 150/181, 3,403 steps. Total time was 55 minutes, calories burned 332, 4,130 steps. My heart rate really got up there on the bonus round on Box Fit. I always have liked this one. Workout #2 is weights. I wore 1# gloves for the boxing. Kelly does do other moves along with the boxing.
Moves for Cardio Core
inch worm
jack, jack cross
glides thrust back (like squat thrust but with discs)
skate, step cross back, knee up
glider mountain climbers
holding a disc turn 2 knee pulls
glider move that I cannot read my notes on :p
cross jack knee knee up 3 legged dog knee in and back up followed by kneeling on right knee left leg extended to the side tap hand down left side and right side
repeat both moves on left side right extended
repeat all 2 more times
I will try to come back later. I have things to get done and papers to fill out so my husband can hopefully get an eye exam and new glasses tomorrow. Not sure if it will work out as it needs to be in the afternoon. Otherwise he will have to wait till the next Friday. Shifting to doctors, eye care, and dental is kind of a pain.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.