Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 8/18

Today I did Pedal Power timesaver #2, 42 minutes, 7 miles, heart rate 132 average, 176 max, met 8.0, 287 calories, 2,830 steps. I followed with PT exercises which took me 39 minutes, 70 calories. I keep trying to get my muscles warmed up some before I hit the stretches. Felt good till after I went to the store, vacuumed, and played the piano for a few minutes. Now it really hurts. :( I have appointments all next week. They scheduled the echo for early Monday morning. I am sorry I am so slow at getting here. Spending too much time at the computer makes the pain worse, just like the piano. There is a plus though. I have been sleeping a bit more at night the last 3 nights.

Deb, I am so sorry. I bet you are really upset right now. Nothing worse than having something like that happen unexpectedly.

Valerie, I remember having to replace a skylight on our fifth wheel that literally cracked and I found pieces that had blown off onto the ground. That is a shame that you had to wait for the part to come in. I hope all of these health checks are clear enough that I do not need to keep going back. I am not wanting to do an mri so really hoping that PT works.

Carolyn, I have done the same thing with mixing up those two workouts. I put it in and it starts and then I realize it is not the one I thought I was going to be doing.

Lori, I really feel like part of my day is messed up when I miss the morning workout. I have a lot of days coming up that I may have to miss some. Maybe it will be easier than I think. I pulled out Jackie Warner's crunchless abs that has a standing abs workout on it to do. I will have to take some time to check out youtube.

Ha ha Lori, its been so long since we've used it that we forgot we have a camper too. and they still didn't get it right! we picked it up yesterday and checked to see the skylight looked OK and has not leaked while at the lot. loaded it up onto our truck and drove home. DH climbed up from the inside to open the skylight and it wouldn't open. finally got it to open, and turns out they caulked the skylight window to its own frame! we can't scrape the caulk off, and the caulk itself seems to be too soft and sticky to be the right thing. when we close down the skylight, the "normal position", we think it will stick to the caulk again. so DH is going back there this morning. its like they totally missed a part or used the wrong caulk. . we thought there was a rubber gasket between the skylight lid and the frame on the roof. this is the only factory authorized service place and they are frigging idiots!

diane sue, most RV parts are made poorly ( china) and break in a heartbeat. like vent covers. this skylight was expensive, and there is no substitute. part is made in Europe somewhere, and the skylight is great quality, it's just the install that is falling seriously short.
In my opinion ( yes, I know you didn't ask for it) get the MRI. the findings might help guide the PT and maybe identify exactly what the problem is. the shoulder area is a complicated spot and when something is wrong it can sure mess things up. MRIs are not invasive, don't hurt. just boring and expensive. a lot of pain from minor activity like piano playing or keyboarding.... not even exercise!.... if that hurts you need more information. same way with the echo. just do it.

Deb, let us know how you're doing. water where it shouldn't be! it things weren't submerged for too long they might dry out and be fine.

Last edited:
Today I did Stacked Sets Upper Body + Extended Stretch 2 for 49 minutes and 254 calories burned. My average heart rate was 119 and maximum heart rate was 151. I had an eye appointment this morning and she dilated my pupils. My eyes are not back to normal yet. It takes much longer for my eyes to recover than the 4 hours that they always say it will.

Diane Sue, nice job with Pedal Power to give your upper body a break. I hope that your doctors can figure out what is going on with your pain issues soon. Is the Echo a follow up to Smart Beat screening?

Valerie, that’s terrible that they didn’t repair the skylight properly after keeping it so long.

Deb, I hope that your flooding didn’t do any permanent damage.

Hello to Lori and Judy.

Step Moves, 45 minutes, heart rate average 141, max 180, 4,052 steps, 302 calories, met 7.0.
I then did Sarah Beth Hands Free Yoga which is 10 minutes, a few lower stretches and my physical therapy exercises, 40 minutes, 52 calories, 27 steps. Total time was 85 minutes, 354 calories, 4,079 steps.
Not sure how tomorrow will go as far as workout. I have a dentist appointment and PT. Monday I have an echo at 7:45 and the called and told me to be there 15 minutes early. I doubt a workout is happening Monday morning unless I do something when I get home. My daughter called last night with sad news that their dog Graham was run over. She was angry. They had workers trying to maneuver to get their truck up into their driveway since it is a hill and they have to go through the gate. Some guy in a pickup pulled up and got mad because they were not getting out of the road fast enough. Once he could go around he floored it and ran over their dog who was standing on the other side watching and greeting the workers. He kept going and did not even bother to stop :( They woke up my son in law and he ran out with his keys to take her to the vet, but she was already dead. How do you just run down a lab anyway?

Valerie, they make so many thing cheaply anymore. Yes, I would have thought there would be a gasket on that skylight. I have had mri's before. With my knee twice and a breast mri. I am not afraid of them. I have an appointment back with the arthritis doctor on the 12th and he may order the mri then. It felt pretty good this morning, but this afternoon it hurts again. Not as bad as yesterday though. I probably overused some because I pulled down curtains in the sun room and washed them and cleaned all of the windows. There was so much dust and stuff behind the curtains. I was worried when I saw trail of aunts outside along the edges of the sun room, so after I sprayed I moved the bit of stuff in front of the window and cleaned good. I tried to use my left arm as much as possible. The echo is Monday morning early. I just do not like having all of these appointments. Generally I only go to the doctor once a year for my physical and go get a mammogram. It seems suddenly I am plunged into multiple appointments.

Carolyn, yes the echo is a follow up to the Smart Beat results. Also the thyroid ultrasound is follow up from the Smart Beat results, but was something they have been watching anyway.

Deb, hope things are not too terrible for you.

diane sue that is terrible about your daughters dog. awful!. how can any normal person do that? did someone get a plate and vehicle description? I would pursue that. I would take that jerk to court. that is just unconscionable. if he would run over a dog like that... his next lapse in judgement might be an old person or a child or someone else's pet. he probably beats his wife and children …..

when it rains, it pours.... when it comes to medical. one questionable result can trigger multiple follow ups. hopefully all will come up negative and you will go back to normal and maybe some different PT and an MRI to tell you exactly what is wrong in the shoulder area.
My shoulder was very sore and it took PT for weeks and leaving it alone for weeks but suddenly was better and nothing since. because of my pacer I cant get mri imaging so mine is more of a guess.

I need to catch up on posting my workouts. Sunday I did a 45 minute Peloton ride, Tuesday I did 20 minutes of Peloton upper body work and a 30 minute Peloton ride, Wednesday I did the lower body premix from Cathe's Muscle Endurance and a 10 minute Peloton ride and yesterday I did 50 minutes of Peloton rides. I have 2 more weeks of 40 hours/week then the week of 9/9 it goes down to 29 hours, but that's only because I scheduled 3 days off that week. Three more people quit at HD this week. Now they have 3 full time and 4 part time openings to fill. Unbelievable the amount of turnover in that store. I gave up trying to keep track of everyone who has left since I started.

Deb-I hope things are getting better and that there wasn't permanent damage from the flooding.

Diane Sue- I am so sorry about your daughter's dog :( that is horrible. I agree with Valerie, I hope someone got a plate number and vehicle description. I don't blame you for not liking all the medical appointments. I hope they are all good. I have my annual physical next week and my mammogram is coming up in October. I think I will schedule a cardiologist visit too, so I can have another stress test. My last one was in 2016. I think it's a good idea to get them regularly now that I'm almost 57.

Carolyn-Nice workouts this week! I'm glad you had a nice trip. 4,000 square feet is huge! I bet it's a beautiful home!

Lori-I've been looking at the Barlates Target 10 videos and I think I would like the ab one.

Hi to Valerie!

Have a great weekend!

Judy

Dh picked up the camper today and it is more or less fixed. they took the old gasket ( at our suggestion) and put it in place. we give up on this RV place. they are total idiots, and lots of them so you need to start at square one with each person you deal with there, and that is a lot of people. we contacted the manufacturer to buy a replacement gasket. we will do it ourselves. Geez! what a terrible experience. these people are supposed to know something about what they're doing!

Diane sue I hope your daughter reports this event. someone who would do something like that is deranged, or maybe high on drugs or alcohol. even if they don't have perfect and complete information it might help track this guy down. accidents happen but this does not sound like an accident.

Deb, I hope you are dealing with the water issue and have corrected the problem. what a total bummer!

This morning I did Cardio Partly for 39 minutes and 281 calories burned. Average heart rate was 130 and maximum heart rate was 147. I decided to do the Extended Stretch afterwards, which was an additional 12 minutes.

Judy, nice workouts this week. Your store seems to have a management problem. The high employee turnover will make it difficult to get a decent schedule. I hope they can sort things out soon. I’m trying to get my medical appointments done, too.

Valerie, I can see how you would be finished with that repair shop. It’s amazing that they are an authorized location.

Diane Sue, that’s terrible about your daughter’s dog. They must be heartbroken.

Hello to Lori and Deb.

Today I did Barre Amped Bounce Thigh, Booty, Cardio and Stretch segments, 49 minutes ( I added a couple of extra minutes of bouncing) met 5.3, 221 calories, 2,345 steps. Then I went to the dentist for my routine cleaning and x rays. Afternoon was Physical Therapy for an hour and fifty minutes. She added a couple of new exercises for me to do. She gets my neck loosened up a lot, but that shoulder thing still hurts. She added a move to go through on just that side to help the nerve that runs through my trap area down my shoulder and arm. That one I am not supposed to hold, just do the stretch. She says it will take some time to get it straightened out.

Valerie, the workers did not get a tag number, just the color of the pick up which was grey. I thought the same with that insane person. That what if it had been a person standing on the other side, would they have stopped... It would have been good if they got the tag or something. I wondered if the driver saw my son in law's police car in the driveway. There are not real close to neighbors since they live on the 15 acres and across the street from their house is just a deep ravine and lots of forest. Not a real lot of traffic there. People go out there and ride their bikes up and down the hills which to us is dangerous since a car could come up over the hill and not see them till it is too late. I think this thing with the shoulder and neck is something that is going to take quite awhile. Once in awhile I think it is getting better because I don't notice it for awhile, or I wake up not in pain. I just need to leave things alone that might cause pain. Did the PT say what they thought was causing yours? They seem to think it is some knots which she finds and boy do they hurt when pressure is applied. Once she works thing it loosens up. Then the pressure on the nerve that runs down through the arm. It does sound like you would be better off putting the gasket on and taking care of it yourself. We have several RV places around here.

Judy, generally when the turnover of employees is like that, there is a problem for sure. I hope they can keep your hours down. I think the Smart Beat screening was a good idea. My doctor says that way we can be ahead of a problem that could occur and stop it before it gets worse.

Carolyn, nice work on Cardio Party. I kind of like the extended stretches. They are not too long, but give a nice extra stretching session. They are heart broken over the dog. Graham was the younger of their two labs around 3 years old. The chocolate lab Hershey is a little younger than Gertie who is 6 years old this month.

We finally have camper back and plan on taking it on vacation in a couple weeks. weve missed it this year.

people who would do something like that and keep going have a screw loose or are driving impaired. so sad. a young dog too.

diane sue, I had something the orthopod called "impingement". I cant get much imaging done, and he felt the cortisone injection and PT would be enough. I didn't have any sudden onset or injury, just gradually getting sore in one spot. it still was a long process where I kept working out but avoided anything that irritated the spot on front of shoulder. I had a specific tenderness at one small area.

there is only one factory authorized service place for our make of camper in this area. otherwise we would not have gone there. the skylight is big, it's not easy to work on the roof of a slippery truck camper. if we had tried to do it ourselves, it would have been extremely hard, we don't have a fork lift etc. if there is a "next time" we will go somewhere else even if we have to go to Canada. this was an unpleasant experience.

Last edited:
Today I did Metabolic Total Body for 48 minutes and 293 calories burned. Average heart rate was 124 and maximum heart rate was 155.

Valerie, I thought of you as I was doing this workout. It is definitely more challenging than it first appears.

Diane Sue, it sounds like the tightness in your neck and shoulders has been building for a while to get that tight and inflamed. I hope that you can get some permanent relief soon.

Deb, I hope everything is okay for you.

Hello to Judy and Lori.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.