Pentagenarians & Beyond W/B 8/10

Traildoggie

Cathlete
Good morning. I will get us started for the week. I'm pleased after yesterday's Ramped up weights. no soreness. like that one a lot when I turn off the music. I need to pause it several times to move weights around.
ETA I got the date wrong, typed in 10 rather than 11. not sure how to edit that.
DH and I bought new containers for our "disaster " water supply. we keep 5 gallon jugs of water in an outbuilding, for drinking water if we ever have a bad earthquake. each jug is 5 gallons, at least 50 lbs. lifted those into the lawnmower cart without any struggle at all. a reminder there are real life benefits to regular workouts.

Good Afternoon, Ladies. Today is my rest day, but I did a short yoga practice. I did Jane Adams’ Morning Energy practice. It was 18 minutes and 45 calories burned. It’s a nice stretching practice and I really like doing it.

Valerie, thanks for getting us started today. Great job with Ramped Up Upper Body yesterday. It’s one of my favorite upper body workouts.

Diane Sue, I hope you are feeling better today. It must be difficult for you to adjust your workouts so much because of the neck and shoulder pain.

Hello to Deb, Judy, and Lori.

This morning I did Raw Just Step and Barre Amped Stretch and strength stability ball bonus stretch. Total time 30 minutes. Heart rate for step was 151 average, 176 max, 2,011 steps, 197 total calories (16 was from the stretch) I have grandchildren here tomorrow and am headed to bed.

Valerie, my daughter and her husband stored gallon jugs of water and certain foods in a closet for just in case of a disaster and those plastic gallon jugs deteriorated and started leaking after awhile. I am guessing you got the glass jugs or something like they use for those bottled water dispensers? I started a check in once and misspelled the month. It drove me crazy all month because I could not figure out how to change it. I don't think the others paid much attention to it though. Since it is just a day off it probably will not be noticed. I would not have noticed if you hadn't said anything :)

Carolyn, nice way to start your rest day. I guess I had mine yesterday, other than being out caulking windows in the heat. My elbow woke me up throbbing early in the morning. I managed to drift off here and there. I hurt so bad yesterday after we got home that I took Motrin and went to bed too early to take another dose. I meant to take the bottle with me just in case I woke up. I did not want to get up and head for the kitchen, so just laid there. I felt better after the workout, but we came home and I went to Walmart and just carting groceries to the car caused the pain to hit again. My husband brought everything in though. Hopefully tomorrow is better. Yes, it is hard to adjust workout accordingly. I think too many punching moves in cardio aggravates. Kelly and Cathe put those moves in lots of their workouts. I don't need aggressive stuff right now. On Kelly's today there is some punches and I kept them light and just used my body to go into the move. Fortunately it is not heavy with boxing moves. That is why I have been picking some older step workouts lately.

Hi Everyone,

For my active rest week I've been doing Travis Eliot's Flexibility & Beyond Program. Friday I did the Yin Hips practice, Saturday I did Yin Short & Sweet and yesterday I did Yin Bliss. Yesterday I also did a 5 minute Peloton core workout and a 10 minute ride. It's really hard for me to stick with this for more than a few days. I think I will do something different before work today, maybe a short LiTe or ICE premix.

This week I am back in garden at HD. I work today, Wednesday & Thursday and Saturday.

Valerie-that is so true about the benefits to regular workouts.

Diane Sue-I'm so sorry about the pain you are experiencing. :( I hope it eases up soon.

Carolyn-Nice job with the yoga practice! That sounds like a good one.

Hi to Deb & Lori!

Judy

turns out the jugs are a little over 40 lbs. still, a tough lift because its mostly one arm and need to lift them high to get over side of the cart. these are jugs meant for long term water storage. I'm not a huge worrier, but we live in a potentially huge earthquake zone. the whole area is. we ( and 150 other houses) are on a private water system. Would it fail in a big quake? who knows? we've always had stored water along with extra clothes, and food. we had used old kitty litter containers! we got better ones that stack and seal well. we had a small quake a few weeks ago. I don't lie awake worrying but this is simple and covers a lot of potential disasters. our private system might hold up better than the city water, or not. for sure it could be hard to get clean water in any disaster or long term power out.

Judy good to know you can be back in garden. Diane sue, hope you are feeling better and get some useful information about what's going on.

No workout yet. I did not get much sleep. I don't know what it is about lying down and the pain, but it is mentioned with certain types of problems on the Physical therapy site. As soon as I got in bed things started throbbing. I kept wondering if I just thought I took Motrin before bed. Finally at two a.m. I got up and took one Motrin(just in case I did take 2 at 10:00). I got out the ice pack and set up the sleeper upstairs. I read for awhile and finally fell asleep. I guess I got around 4 hours. Crazy though, I lifted up on my elbow to adjust my position and there was an audible snap sound and feel in the front of my shoulder. It really hurt. Still hurting this morning. When I get up and walk around it seems to feel better. I was going to do a barre/chair lower body workout, but when I got upstairs I got really nauseated, then my daughter called and said she was on her way with my grandson so I decided to shower and wait till maybe later. I think the nausea was from so much ibuprofen, turmeric, boswella and the like. Plus I just had taken my multi vitamin along with a folate b12 combo which is said to help nerves heal. Usually I wait till after lunch for the multi. Too much for my stomach I guess.

Judy, I do not do well for long with active rests either. I love the feel of yin yoga.

Valerie, it is nice having the security of knowing you have what you need in case there is a disaster or problem. My daughter has had to spend a lot on water lately till they get their well water correct. They at first said it was just new guidelines amounts of stuff in the water. Then when they came back and it was corrected they said they need something else. So, they have a system they have to add to it. Costs a lot of money. They are in the process of getting that done. They purchased some kind of specially concealed containers somewhere for their food stuffs. I have absolutely nowhere to store anything like that. Open my cabinets and things are piled strategically to fit. Not so fun when trying to get out something at the bottom or back of the cabinet and having to put everything back.

Hi,

Well I got my new computer yesterday, and it's great. Back to being able to post and look up things easily.

Valerie, thanks for starting the thread for this week. No biggie on the date, we are good! Great idea to keep that water supply.

Diane Sue, I hope you start to feel better soon. Did you mention something about physical therapy? May be time for an MRI. That "snapping" incident is worrisome.

Judy, great active rest week! Nice that they have you back in the garden department at work.

Hi to Carolyn & Lori,

Take care,

This morning I did a premix from Step Blast. It was 45 minutes and 365 calories burned. My average heart rate was 140 and maximum heart rate was 170.

Diane Sue, I’m sorry that your are unable to sleep. It is hard to get the body in a position that doesn’t aggravate the problem. Have you tried pillows to relieve some of the pressure on your painful side? Sometimes that helps a little.

Deb, it’s great that you have your new computer. I remember that feeling from last year when I had to replace my desktop.

Valerie, preparing for possible emergencies with water storage is smart.

Judy, I was the same way with the active recovery week. After day 3 I needed to add in some variety. I hope they continue to schedule you in the garden center.

Lori are you still enjoying the instant pot?

Have a wonderful day everyone.

It would take a very strong quake to interrupt our community water supply but we are in a zone that could get serious ones. it hasn't happened in a long time, hundreds of years. we stored some water and are done with it. hope we don't need it.
we rode this morning, 15 miles, about 1.5 hours. took a long break in the middle.

Deb great that you have a new system to work with.

diane sue, you're probably right about stomach upset from the meds. I'm one of the lucky people who can take any nsaid with no problem, but my DH cant even handle 2 Advil without problems. eating food first is usually best.

Last edited:
I did finally do Great Glutes, using the gliding discs, stability ball and then doing the bonus chair work. That took 30 minutes and I added some foam rolling and stretching. That is all I felt like doing. I got some house cleaning done downstairs after my youngest grandson left. Tomorrow I have the other one. He is not much work though. Sometimes we play games or do crafts.

Debbie, I am starting physical therapy Friday. That was the earliest I could get in with all of my obligations and their openings. The doctor wanted me to try that first and then if it does not improve he will order an mri to see what is going on. I have always been able to work things on my own, but this is so painful and lasting so long. It has been 4 weeks since it started and it is not getting any better. It was a week and a half ago when he gave me the paper ordering physical therapy. I am getting a late start. I hate having to work around things. Yes, I was a bit worried about the snapping sound and how it hurt. Maybe some of the inflammation has stuff rubbing together or something. I think I have read everything I can. I am loving my new tablet and new laptop. Glad that you got your new computer and everything is working great.

My husband also got me a full size keyboard piano with some really nice headphones so I can play and practice without interfering with the television or his sleeping if he works at night. I have not had much time to mess with it though. The stand came today and needs put together. The piano keyboard is sitting on the table. It has full size piano keys :) We are having a family birthday celebration here Sunday. 4 of us have birthdays over the next 3 weeks so we are doing them all together :)

Carolyn, I should try another pillow. In the physical therapy book I was reading by Robin Mckenzie he suggested putting the arm up on a pillow. It is odd how even though it is on top and I am not lying on it, it starts hurting. It feels better if I am lying a bit on it or flat with it bent over my middle. Lying in one position does not work well though. I may do that tonight and see if it helps.

Valerie, Ibuprofen tends to cause some muffled hearing, dizziness, and nausea for me. I have been trying to only use it at bed time. It is always more probable that nothing will happen, but feels better to be somewhat prepared anyway.

Good morning,

No workout to report. I did get a much needed hair cut/color though. :)

Carolyn, you are doing great with this rotation. (assume you are doing the August one?)

Valerie, good that you stored the water. Does anyone remember the bomb shelters that some people had in their basements in the 50's-60's? My friend's father had one with all kinds of supplies stocked in it. We used to go down there and play house in it.

Diane Sue, good that you are able to start the PT. A week after the order is pretty quick to start. I hope what they do helps. That is so great about the piano with headphones. I never knew they had those!

Hi to Lori & Judy,

Take care,

Good morning. doesn't refreshed hair make you feel 100x better?
I remember the bomb shelters. also the "duck and cover' drills. like that would have helped anything! back then the threat of tornados was real and would have been another reason for shelters, at least in Midwest. main tornado activity has shifted geographically compared to what it was like 50 years ago.

water is not ridiculous to set aside here. it would not take a magnitude 9 earthquake to disrupt things seriously. we never had anything like that in modern times, but there is strong history of previous serious quakes here. water is not complicated to store. we bounced thru a 6. "something" quake in the early 2000's. personally no damage, but lots of buildings, some bridges were damaged. since we are not on a big municipal water system, we are at greater risk for problems with it. ours water supply works if power is out, but it power is out to the main pump and treatment center.... I'm not sure how long we would have reliable water.

I've never heard of a piano keyboard like that.... I always wanted to learn piano, but it never happened. parents gave me a violin instead. big mistake. as it turned out, I'm not very musical anyway so probably would have been a waste of money. I hated the awful noise that came out of that thing. you have to be very talented to make a violin sound good. I enjoy music a lot but can't sing at all... just truly AWFUL. I only move my lips and don't make a sound if I have to 'sing" along with others.

Last edited:
I got more sleep last night. I just finished doing 36 minutes on the treadclimber, 1.63 miles, 3,183 steps, heart rate average 128, max 165, met 7.0. I found that my new tablet can sit in the pocket on the tread climber so I can read while I am walking :D It is a 10 inch one, but my last one was 12.2 and it did not sit anywhere on the tread climber. I then did Cathe Lean legs and abs premix #3 chair, firewalker, bonus barre, 38 minutes, met 4.5, 135 calories, 96 average, 150 max heart rate, 602 steps. Total time was 338 calories, 74 minutes, 3,785 steps. I used 3# ankle weights for the standing work and I did use the 8# dumbbell on the front of the thigh since it was not me hanging on directly, but my leg holding the weight. I should try the weight bench downstairs with the leg attachment.
I will be back in awhile. I have my grandson sitting downstairs and I need to get him lunch and spend time with him. School starts in a couple of days.

This morning I did Maximum Intensity Strength for 85 minutes and 413 calories burned. Average heart rate was 117 and maximum heart rate was 162.

Diane Sue, nice job getting in a short workout yesterday. The keyboard and headphones are a great gift. I took piano lessons as a child but I didn’t stick with it, something I regret now. I love music, but I have no talent . I see that you just posted today while I was typing. I’m so glad that you were able to rest better last night. The school districts here have been starting since the beginning of the month with most beginning August 5. The last two large districts started yesterday.

Deb, I am loosely following the August rotation. I did Maximum Intensity Strength today instead of Great Glutes to make sure that I get it done this week. We are traveling later in the week and workouts probably won’t happen.

Hello to Valerie, Judy, and Lori.

My grandson and I played with my new electronic piano for a little while. The sad thing is that playing piano is setting off my pain if I do it very long. This was happening with my regular piano before I got my gift. So, we played Sorry and I took him to McDonalds. He loves going there. I just drive through and get food for him. Bleh!! But, his family does not go there much either so we are the ones he goes to.

Deb, thinking of those bomb shelters reminds me of that movie with Brandon Frasier where his family had one and went inside and sent him out to check things out years later or something like that. There was not an attack so things had changed a lot. I need to color my hair, but am trying to find a time without children here. Maybe before my doctor appointment tomorrow since it is in the afternoon. I could have had an appointment in the morning 3 days after I called for the PT, but I had to watch children. I wish I could have started right away. This is a new facility. They have still not filled quite all of the business spaces in the shopping center where Sprouts is. This is one of the businesses. I thought it was funny that they had Physical therapy at one end of the center and Orange Theory on the other.

Valerie, I remember having to get under the desks. My husband and I have sort of laughed at this. If we were being attacked or something the only thing that might do is keep glass from hitting from the windows. I took 2 and a half years of piano and a year of guitar when I was a teenager. I have been able to pick up quite a bit from memory and what I know of music. I try to play some every day and feel I am progressing as I have started moving up to harder music books. The electronic piano has built in lessons and challenges to help see how fast you can get through the notes as they pop up correctly. Also set up to use with computers, tablets and cell phones for other lessons, recording and play back. It has an SD card for saving stuff in files and recording as well. So much to learn on it. I think it will be fun. Playing piano in the afternoons and sometimes when I am distressed I will run through some songs and it will relax me. Makes me feel good. I am definitely an expert piano player though. This has concert settings for sound and capabilities for standing and playing. I won't be doing that either LOL one of my granddaughters played violin at school. It takes some talent to play those without the screeching sound. I had a great grandmother that played the violin and the fiddle. She was a hoot and would dance. She was very talented. Was still playing and dancing in her 90's.

Carolyn, I always wish my parents had made me stick with the piano instead of switch to guitar, which was far more cool). I would maybe have been playing better. I think there is better lesson material out there now. Back then the songs were generally silly. I still get a bit annoyed that piano courses generally do not have the whole song. They have part of the song or just the chorus. I have had to go back over things on notes, rests, bars, etc. and counts as refreshers and some just to see what the symbols meant. There are so many newer methods for learning. So far I have not found ones I liked so much since I am used to just reading the music. I find them confusing. I always like MIS, but can see why you got that over sooner. That is a long workout when you do the whole thing. I used to separate and do upper and lower on separate days so I could throw in cardio.

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did a 30 minute Peloton Power Zone Ride and today I did LiTe Pyramid Pump, No Disc Premix.
I'll probably do Yin Yoga the next couple of days then maybe another LiTe workout on Friday.

Deb-It's really nice to be back in garden. I'm so glad they had an opening and could transfer me back.

Diane Sue-That's great that you play piano! I took a year of guitar lessons when I was a teenager too. I got back into it when my husband started playing again, but I need to practice more.
I think the Yin Yoga is helping, as I felt like I could go lower doing lunges today than I have before.

Carolyn-Great workouts this week! I got transferred from Electrical back to Garden but I will have to fill in occasionally since they are short handed. It shouldn't be very often though.

Hi to Valerie & Lori!

Judy

Good morning ladies!

Cape is very nice. Having a nice relaxing time. There is an inflatable water park that opened up close by to our time share a few years ago. They have been adding on every year and WOW what a difference it has made for business in this area. So nice to see new business coming in and old ones getting new life. All while still keeping the charm we love about this area. Even our time share has had some nice upgrades.

Since we drove (3.5 hours due to traffic), you know I brought my rebounder. We were taking my car, which is smaller than my husband’s, and we had a tricky time getting it in the back with all our stuff. At one point my husband mentioned not bringing it. I gave him such a glare that words were not needed. We got it in. :).

I have worked out every morning doing either a LEKfit, BBS or a Cathe. Yesterday was a FitTower workout with out the tower. Been ages since I have done a Cathe workout and I miss her!

Valerie...that is great you have the disaster water. We should do something like this. I hear all the time we should. We have plenty of food to last a while but not enough water. Going to work on this when we get back. I didn’t even notice the wrong date!

Diane Sue....Oh I feel for you with the pain. You are so active. Good you are careful with the moves you chose. Amazing you still workout! Hoping you get relief soon from the PT, at the very least to play your piano with no pain. Pillows are so important. We bring ours to the Cape every year. My husband and I have seen Blast From The Past quit a few times. Funny movie.

Deb...congrats on the new computer!!!!! Enjoy!!! Great on the hair color...I have been doing my own for years. Used to have it professionally done, but it was too time consuming for me. How is Ike doing? GiGi is so lovey and has turned into an amazing dog. She weighs 78lbs. Still a lot smaller than what chester was at his heaviest (109lbs).

Judy...my husband and I saw a Peloton commercial yesterday and he was amazed by the technology. Glad you are back in the garden area. I remember you having to work in other less desirable departments. You have great active recovery weeks. I have a hard time with them - you always manage great workouts.

Carolyn... still loving our Instant Pot!! I cooked a chicken before we left for sandwich meat. Wanted to actually bring with us, but decided to leave home. My son is staying at our home for the week taking care of GiGi. He actually brought his instant pot thinking we took ours. Lol!

Have a great day all!!

Lori that's the thing.. you can get along without food for quite a while, but clean water is not so easy if water supply gets compromised. we are not crazy survivalists but hopefully practical. time for new pics of Gigi!

I do my own hair color about half the time. I can't cut it myself so about every other month I get it done professionally. yes, its expensive. If I were getting nice gray hair, I wouldn't bother, but the "good gray gene" is not showing up.

I did total body metabolic yesterday. have not done a metabolic workout in quite a while, and it showed. wow, I was surprised. I had trouble with it. it was quite warm and humid even in our basement. I had to pause quite a few times. I've been doing enough weight work so the weights were fine but I was pretty exhausted by time I was done. I usually don't sweat, but yesterday I did. DH did not feel well yesterday at all and that took a lot of time and energy so didn't get working until almost dinner time. he had some severe vertigo but it looks like we were able to do a home procedure to correct it. never did it before, a first time for everything.
Judy guitar I would have enjoyed, as ungifted musically as I am. nice pleasant sounds. violins are so high pitched and screechy I don't like the sounds even from world class violinists. violins are like nails on a blackboard for me. high pitch singers are not good either. reminds me of dental drills. Pianos were nice too, sounded good by themselves.

we will road ride today.

schools were acting like a nuclear attack could be dealt with by going under a desk! or even the school basement. Still, we had severe storms and tornados so getting everyone organized and out of class rooms was still good practice, getting kids to move quickly and orderly out of a dangerous place. sadly,now we have the active shooter drills and bulletproof backpacks.

Last edited:
This morning I did Cardio Slam for 49 minutes and 374 calories burned. My average heart rate was 135 and maximum heart rate was 164. My upper body is really sore from MIS yesterday!

Diane Sue, the piano keyboard sounds like a lot of fun and more interesting than my lessons. MIS is definitely a long workout. One thing that I like about it that it is straight forward weight work.

Lori, I’m glad that you are enjoying the Cape. Taking the rebounder was a smart move.

Valerie, metabolic workouts definitely have a different feel and can be pretty exhausting. Your husband sounds like he is having a similar problem to what I had last week with the dizziness.

Judy, great workouts yesterday and today.

Hello to Deb. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Quick check in. I have an appointment this afternoon and much to do catching up. Also prep for Sunday's birthdays. I started with Party Rockin Step #1, 54 minutes, heart rate 144/173, met 7.0, 362 calories, 5,013 steps. I then did Stretch Max with the stability ball 19 minutes, 46 calories, heart rate 91/119. Total time was 71 minutes, 408 calories, 5,078 steps. I had problems with sleeping again. The Motrin did not help. I got up and read and iced for awhile.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.