Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 8/1

Traildoggie

Cathlete
good morning...
cathy, I used to knit and crochet a lot too but I started getting contractures in some fingers so I stopped. carpal tunnel is probably a little of my issue, but I'm not sure I want to mess with surgery. the only time I have issues are riding and I dont want to risk making things worse. I can get my biceps sore pretty easily, but triceps are immune!

I personally think we will need vaccination cards for travel, restaurants, some businesses. I dont want the paper card with me, don't want to search in photos on my phone. this morning I took another picture, put it in "notes" file on my phone. I pinned it together with license plates, car model and year that I might not remember accurately under stress.
any other ideas about how to make vaccine card easily accessible? I thought were on the last lap with this, but thanks to all the uncooperative antivaxxers, covid has new life. might be more variants in the future since this how viruses mutate.... they infect many people and develop variations. the more people infected, the greater the chances for a really nasty variant to show up.

not doing our regular ride this morning. cloudy and rained a bit, not enough to help drought conditions but enough to make riding not great. indoor workout this morning.

Last edited:
This morning I did Jane Adams Gentle Yoga Morning Energy practice for 18 minutes. Other than that it’s another rest day. I’ve been fortunate so far with arthritis. No one in my close family seems to have it. Of course, we have so many other ailments that run in the family!

Have a wonderful day everyone.

This morning I did my IMAX workout and then shoulders. I have an area in my upper left arm that is annoyed with me. Sent Nick a short video of where it was (he's in Marquette with the GF) and he said he'd have to feel it to know for sure. It's in an area where multiple muscle groups meet, but I'd like to try and pinpoint what moves might have aggravated it.

Valerie good idea about putting the pic in your notes. I should do that. So far I've had no use for it as I don't travel except by car and don't go to large events. And there are some variants that are just now starting to get around in the US. At least one of which may be worse than Delta. Derek uploaded his to NMU. They aren't requiring it, but want to keep tabs on how many are vaccinated on campus to help them develop protocols. Right now the UP is sitting in really good shape, but with kids heading back to 3 colleges in a few weeks that could change. Nick said TCU notified him that he was good with them. They maybe tapped into Michigan vaccine registry, not sure since he didn't send them anything. Right now NMU is sitting at 63% vaccinated, but freshman only recently gained access to the system, so they expect that will go up some. At least Derek seems to have a decent roommate this year, and they already been communicating. He's originally from Argentina, living in IL and since Spanish is his native language maybe Derek can practice with him, since Spanish is his minor.

Carolyn good job with the yoga!

Cathy I don't need anything now either. going to MT in September, October. MT is way less cautious than WA is but who knows where this outbreak will lead us. I thought.... what if I had to get some sort of medical care over there, like I trip and break an ankle. do I have proof of vaccination? well yes, but I would have to look thru the pics on my phone and you KNOW how hard that is when you aren't expecting to need something. thats why I put in our vehicle plate, year and model. what if a car was stolen? do you remember your plate#? sorry but after the bear spray business I went into take care of business mode, and started thinking of protective things to get done.

being fluent in spanish would be enormously useful! I understand a little but cant speak it myself. good for him.

Last edited:
Valerie,

I added my vaccine card to my Apple wallet on my iPhone using the gogetvax website.

It only took a few minutes and I was able to do everything from my phone.

Yesterday was a rest day from workouts. Today I did 50 minutes of Peloton rides after work.

Carolyn-nice job with Jane Adams Gentle Yoga Morning Energy practice. That sounds relaxing.

Cathy-Great job with IMAX and the shoulder workout.

Valerie-That's a very good idea to have your vehicle information in your phone. I think I will do that too. I like having the vaccine card there. GoGetVax verifies the information and adds a QR code that someone can scan, like if you are getting medical care or something. Now I need to get Chris's added to his phone.

Hi to Diane Sue!

Judy I originally thought of adding to wallet but didn't know how. thanks. I will try that.

license #'s are hard to remember. if a car is stolen it would help a lot to know the plate! we used to know #'s when we had to fill in on gas receipts but that's a long ago thing. plate #s change pretty often here. you don't keep the same plate for life of the car.

I'm also looking into whether a phone record of vehicle registration is adequate.
car break ins at trail heads ... registration stolen. has your address. obviously you aren't home and maybe off on a backpack if it's at a trailhead. garage door opener can get stolen too. thieves keep us on our toes!.

had "your" salmon last night. I bought a nice sockeye fillet and enjoyed it! costco had beautiful fish never frozen.

Today I did Circuit Blast which was 44 minutes and 277 calories burned. My average heart rate was 124 and maximum heart rate was 153. I have only done this workout one other time. I modified the cardio to low impact and used a lower step.

Cathy, it does sound like you irritated something in your tricep area. It’s good that Nick can help you figure it out.

Valerie, putting your vaccination information in your phone is smart especially since you travel between states. We keep our garage door opener inside for our vehicles that are not in the garage. I have read too many news stories about people breaking into vehicles and using the garage door opener to get inside the house. Thieves do keep us on our toes.

Judy, that looks like a great way to have a digital vaccination record. Nice work with the Peloton ride.

Hello to Diane Sue.

Carolyn, MT is pretty lax about covid protection. WA was pretty aggressive but because WA did a good job with vaccinations, so far we are not having a big problem with the variant. as we all know, that can change quickly.
Our newer car keeps the door code without an extra opener. our older vehicles have a separate opener. we don't leave those vehicles outside. sigh..... so many things are risky these days. then you need to worry about someone sawing off the catalytic converter from your vehicle too. :rolleyes:

yesterday did a short upper body mixture with push ups, tricep pushups, curls, one armed rows ,and for about25 min, abs from x train. this morning we did a road ride, about 90 minutes. thought I stopped my timer but didn't. about 20 miles.

his morning I did Coffey FIt Raw Cardio/heavy bag, 49 minutes, heartrate 133/167, 252 calories, 3,146 steps. I just tapped the heavy bag. I love this workout and have done it in the past. I had wanted to do Ripped and Ride May 2019 (I believe that is the one) that is heavy bag and fitness equipment. I was going to use the Tread Climber and spin bike. Anyway, it would not load for me. I was worried I would not be able to get any other Raw workouts on my all in one computer, but the one I did worked fine. I will try on other devices before I say something to Kelly. Everything feels good today. I also did Walk Strong 3 Jessica Smith Barre Sculpt, 32 minutes, 78 calories, heart rate 94/113, 388 steps. I use 2# dumbbells for dumbbell work as options were 2-5# and I did not want to push as I did fine with the weights yesterday with Kelly and also used my new pilates ball. For some reason the move that starts in a biceps curl position and extends out to the sides while doing a lower move made clicking feeling in the front of my shoulder so I changed the move. Lowering the level of the arms made the feeling stop. It is kind of like a supination curl to arms straight out. Through the supination and up is when I get that feeling. Probably not good.
Total time today was 81 minutes, 330 calories, 3,476 steps.

this ran in the paper this morning explaining in more detail and more info about who might require it and where. from WaPO originally. I didn't do it yet. DH thinks everything is a scam.

diane sue all my shoulder issues seem to have started with hiking up my right shoulder. since I learned not to that, I haven't had any more problems.
anyone watching the Olympics? wow, the women are in incredible shape! lots of time in the weight room for sure. arms, shoulders and abs! wow.

Today I did P30 Perfect Pump Lower Body. My time was 40 minutes with 182 calories burned. Average heart rate was 112 and maximum heart rate was 140. I needed more of a stretch after that so decided to do the extended stretch which was an additional 8 minutes.

Diane Sue, great job with Raw Cardio Heavy bag and WS3 Barre Sculpt. It’s smart to change the movement when something doesn’t feel or sound right to you.

Valerie, I read a similar article a couple of days ago. I am still skeptical of the apps so I haven’t done anything.

Hello to Judy and Cathy.

This morning I did KCM’s Stepboxing, workout one, which was 33 minutes and 238 calories burned. Average heart rate was 134 and maximum heart rate was 158.

Valerie, nice job with the XTrain upper body workout and Abs.

Hello to Judy, Diane Sue, and Cathy. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Yesterday I did Live#351 Intense Upper Body and today I did a 45 minute Peloton Power Zone Ride.

Valerie-Great job with the XTrain workout.

Carolyn-Nice job with Stepboxing.

Diane Sue-Nice job with the Raw workout and WS3 Barre Sculpt.

Hi to Cathy

Monday I did ICE Low Impact Step 1 and biceps, yesterday I shopped. Derek also had a dentist appointment so he went with me. Faster with help and he can reach things I can't. Not like he's tall at 5'3", but he's got 6" on me! LOL My arm is pretty much back to normal. Did Kickboxing Plus Core this morning and Triceps.

Right now Michigan is one of the better off states right now, but it's probably not going to last. The Governor has already said that while she may try to do what she can to put restrictions in place if it gets bad, that her hands have been pretty much tied but our republican house and senate. I'm just holding my breath about Nick going to Texas. He has to go through some really bad areas, and it's not like Texas isn't being hit hard in places. He can minimize contact and mask, but even if he got a mild case it could really screw him up for starting classes. I don't worry about Derek so much. Right now Marquette County where NMU currently is sitting at a 1 or 0 cases per day and that's at the height of the tourist season.

went on a hike today with another couple, 2 and a half hours. a decent hike near the water so not hot and smoky. plenty of up and down hill. then went out for lunch. outdoor seating, distancing, and great food. a really nice day.

we are getting more hospital beds filling up with covid patients again but not a crisis. yep, all people who didn't want their freedom interfered with, and go get deathly ill. I am so over feeling bad for people who knowingly got themselves into this spot when prevention is free and readily available. Doubt this what "give me liberty or give me death" was supposed to mean, but the virus is willing to jump in and take advantage.
cathy your boys have been vaccinated, so even if they contract covid they almost certainly wont be very sick. still, best avoided if possible. I never stopped wearing a mask shopping.

Last edited:
I did To the Mat today. We've gone back to having cool nights and 80ish days and the mosquitos, while still around, are FAR less numerous. I've walked a few times lately and yesterday only had issues on our back path which really gets no sun because it's so shaded.

Valerie I know they aren't likely to get very sick, but they can pass it on and I've known several kids Nick's age who have gotten quite sick with flu like symptoms. Plus he'd have to quarantine. I know people in some areas who have gone back into full lockdown mode with their kids who are under 12. We generally have been using cloth masks, but they are recommending the KN95 ones for Delta, so I'm going to send a pack of the ones I have with Nick and I'll send more once he's there.

Today I did P30 Perfect Pump Lower Body and the Extended Stretch. My time was 42 minutes with 147 calories burned. Average heart rate was 105 and maximum heart rate was 154.

Judy, nice work with Live Intense Upper Body and Peloton Power Zone ride.

Cathy, great job with ICE Low Impact Sweat (?) One plus biceps yesterday and To The Mat today.

Valerie, the hike with friends and lunch afterwards sounds like a wonderful outing. I’m glad that you were able to do that.

Hello to Diane Sue.

just back from a 2 hr mt bike. trying to ride some trails that are harder but wont be open after fall. a nice morning.

cathy I didn't want to sound flippant about kids and masks. you are 100% right to be cautious and help your kids to do so also. we also are getting some N95 masks. we don't spend time in large groups but kids at school? I don't see how they can avoid other students. a roommate may not be as cautious. western WA is pretty good about masking but yesterday .... I saw very few masks in the restaurant. we chose outside seating. not possible to eat lunch with a mask on. I go to great pains to make sure I don't even get head colds! texas is a lot hotter and a mask when it's hot is way worse.

we are not done with this virus, and the more people who get it, the greater the chances of further variants, and every variant might be more serious. or less. but it seems to be working toward worse.

I always watch for tall people at the store so when I cant reach something I can have someone else grab it for me. I am not very tall either, between 5'1" and 5'2" but I have longish arms so good reach. still, glass jars on top shelves are dicey.

Carolyn we have only eaten out I think twice now in a year and a half.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.