Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 7/25

Today I did the same CDorner Low Impact Steady State no jumping workout as yesterday except I did all of it this time. She uses 2# dumbbells and works upper with it during the last 10 minutes. That is optional for the dumbbells. This was 46 minutes, heart rate 152/177, 290 calories, 4,342 steps. I woke up this morning and my left foot hurt through the arch. I think this arthritis is just hitting different areas. I also did one of her latest mobility workouts mobility flow for tight muscles, 30 minutes, 52 calories, heart rate 83/106, 50 steps. Total time was 76 minutes, 342 calories, 4,392 steps. I am hoping to do lower body tomorrow.

Valerie, I think having bear spray with you is a good idea. You never know when people are drugged up how they will behave. Or how it may go over when you come up on a deal. I was looking at the hand and arthritis pain info and I think it was on Cleveland Clinic that they mentioned wearing a brace to relieve using they thumb. My hands are one of the first areas that I noticed malformities and talked to my primary care about. The thumb joint kind of juts out to the side and when inflamed it will swell. It might be good for me to get a brace. Yes, aging and the things that go with it are not fun.

Carolyn, Nice work with X Train bis and tris. That is great that you were able to go heavier. Hoping something new works. It seems I can generally find something that works for awhile.

oh yes the thumb joint. all the bones in my wrists and hands are arthritic. the wrist brace at night has helped. my right hand has a large bump at base of the thumb. not painful or bothersome. my left looks fine but is still bothersome especially when I ride from pressure on handlebars. I cant ride much more than 2 hours because of it. I wear a brace at night on the left wrist. I have several, most come in rt and left, and sizes. there are a lot of choices at amazon. I have Mueller brand and am happy. much much nicer than what I found at Rite aid. the idea is to immobilize the area while sleeping to let it rest. I don't wear a brace during the day. too much interference.

some have an extra loop to support the thumb. they are around $15 and last for years and years. worth it. I'm bothered when biking, and I have difficulty doing the "pinch" move to open containers. I can unscrew Ok, but the pinch move is tough.
this is mainly cartilage worn down on the cmc joint ( carpalmetacarpal). mine is plain old osteoarthritis. (OA) how'd your parents hands look? mine look like my mothers. I cant get my hands flat on the ground anymore so I do push ups etc by grabbing onto the feet of a bench or some other adjustment. so mine don't look great but still function pretty well. I never ever(!!) reclose lids that require a pinch move. sometimes I break out the inner plastic so I can screw them shut. other times I just set the lid on the bottle, like DW soap. I wonder who decided this was a good design for child proof? it makes them senior proof! I do whatever I need to make the joint not hurt.
you can also get voltaren cream OTC that is OK to use on your hands but diane sue you need to be sure it doesnt conflict with any other meds you are on. there is a whole lot of fine print on the packaging. we bought some but I haven't tried it. its not supposed to be used on your torso area.

I’m taking a rest day today. I had some discomfort in my low back and hip, but it feels much better now. I did some light stretching earlier this morning and have done quite a bit of walking. I went to the farmers market very early to avoid the intense heat and now I’m trying to catch up on a few things around the house.

Diane Sue, great job with CDorner Low Impact Steady State and the mobility workout.

Valerie, I didn’t realize that you have arthritis issues as well. I like the looks of the Mueller wrist brace.

Waving hello to Judy and Cathy.

Carolyn I've had Mueller braces for many years. when I got them there were not as many choices. I can't be sure how they compare to all the current brands but Ive been happy with them. the material is soft and pleasant to wear but holds up well. whatever I first got at rite aid was scratchy and awful but that was all they had. there is a huge range of different braces to fit all kinds of problems.

nobody can be sure what family genetics will serve up as you get older. I've headed off some bad things by staying fit and active and doing "non medical measures", like the braces, to help out. my DH has hand issues too with some serious joint distortion. my hands don't look bad until you see the x ray. some things can be avoided with a healthy lifestyle but otherwise, body parts eventually wear out. not the same parts in everyone! my wrists gave me trouble bike riding even in my 40's but have not gotten dramatically worse. I still ride, but need to limit to 2-2.5 hours at a stretch. mt biking is less wrist pressure so I can go longer with that if I choose. there isnt constant pressure on the wrists.

Last edited:
That PP leg workout did an absolute number on my legs, especially hamstrings. Yesterday I opted to just to PP Back and then today I tried out a few cardio moves and my legs were like nope! So, I stretched for awhile and then did PP Chest. Hopefully back to cardio tomorrow.

Valerie I can get all my upper body muscles sore, except biceps. Takes a lot for me to get them sore and it's only happened a couple times. When I was still working, I had to wear a night brace for carpal tunnel, but within a short time of stopping I was able to ditch it. Hasn't bothered me as much the last couple years, there are just certain things I don't do as much as I used to like knit and crochet.

I've rarely encountered homeless people. We used to go to the downtown Lansing library regularly and there are some around there. Over the last few years, I switched to the library branch near where I shop and I've only been there a couple times since quarantine started last year.

Hi to everyone!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.