Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 7/25

Good afternoon! This morning I did Jessica Smith’s One Mile of Motivation for 15 minutes and 117 calories burned. Average heart rate was 129 and maximum heart rate was 145. Then I did Cathe’s Yoga Relax timesaver. That was 28 minutes and an additional 34 calories burned.

We had planned to cook some chicken on the grill today, but it’s so hot that we might reconsider that.

Diane Sue, nice job with your workout. I love salads too. Spinach salad with salmon sounds yummy. I have a large salad for lunch most days. I vary the protein and add seasonal fruit to avoid boredom. I’ve been eating peaches with blueberries lately.

Valerie, I hope that you had a good ride this morning.

Hello to Judy and Cathy.

Last edited:
Good ride today, the usual about 25 miler. only 2 hrs 6 minutes so faster than usual. there are a couple homeless people hanging out near and in the bathrooms. I'm normally a compassionate person but my compassion is wearing thin. the problem is endless and seems to get worse every year. I used to feel sorry for them and think they could be "helped". forget it. disgusting filthy drug addicts and mentally ill people not taking their meds because no one can force them to do so. I am so tired of trying to avoid them, and them taking over public bathrooms. I'm going to carry bear spray on bike next to my water bottle for defense. used to worry about dogs! not so much anymore.

I love a good salad for lunch. I like quinoa and farro salads this time of year too.

Last edited:
This morning I did P30 Low Impact HiiT for 30 minutes and 202 calories burned. My average heart rate was 126 and maximum heart rate was 139.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Yesterday I did my finished step combos and 2x through PP Shoulders. Today is my rest day as I shopped. Had to make an oil change appt for Friday as Nick may take my car up to Marquette to visit his GF and I really didn't want him making a long trip with it without doing it. Three more weeks and I'll be the only one driving it again. Looking forward to having my car back but not to Nick heading off for a couple years with only a few brief trips home.

Valerie sounds like a great ride, but I'm sorry to hear you are having so many issues with homeless people on your rides. Not something we encounter where we live.

Carolyn great job on the workouts! It's hot here, too. Up around 90 today. At least we only have mid to upper 70's coming up next week. Give me low 70's and a breeze any day!

Cathy I need to explain for being so irate yesterday. it was justified. our climate is moderate. winters are usually not bad at all, rainy but nothing like Michigan or wisconsin. it's possible for people to live under freeway overpasses in tents... and they do. hundreds of them. parks and any open green space are filled s almost intolerable. now the homeless who live under the freeways are throwing debris and concrete chunks off the overpasses at cars. hundreds of incidents recently. some are down on their luck, cant pay rent and were evicted. most not employed. a BIG percentage have serious drug problems or are mentally ill. laws prevent them from being placed under involuntary commitment without extreme criteria being met. plus after all the racial issues this summer, the police are backing off because of new restrictions on them. The west coast is suffering a plague of homeless people because of mild climate and high living costs. way too many to put in jail, and when they get out( if jailed) they go right back where they were. a lot of money is getting thrown at the problem and most measures have helped none or incrementally. Rent and property values are high here so it is not a cheap place to live.
I forgot my phone yesterday or would have called in a complaint. one guy was sitting on a bench totally drugged out. I had to ride by a few inches away, on the sidewalk next to a busy highway. DH wanted to use the bathroom at the park we rode by, on a sunday afternoon. there was some homeless dreg in there with a sack of junk blocking the door. needless to say, he didn't but found some trees further on the ride. it started out as Seattle's problem but is spreading. this city has been relatively free of problems this year but yesterday convinced me I need to carry bear spray on further rides. in the bottle cage on my bike. for a time we had a homeless encampment outside of our housing community, and they were a constant source of robbery and other petty crime.

so sorry for the rant, but be grateful your area does not have this problem. can you go to texas to visit your son? or meet somewhere for a short vacation? it sounds like you get along well and share mutual interests.

Good morning. Today I did XTrain Burn Sets Chest, Back, and Shoulders. That was 61 minutes and 209 calories burned. My average heart rate was 104 and maximum heart rate was 140. I sometimes forget what a great workout this is. The rotation called for Slow and Heavy, but I did not want to do that one for many reasons! I’m glad that I made the substitution.

Valerie, that situation with the homeless drug users must have been very upsetting. I can understand your need to rant about it.

Cathy, great job with your workouts. It’s quite an adjustment when your children move so far away. All of mine live far away, but at least we are all on the east coast. At one point my middle daughter was in California. I really hated that, but fortunately it was only for two years.

Hello to Judy and Diane Sue. Have a great day everyone.

Back from a 15 mile road ride this morning. getting a furniture delivery so we need to be here for much of the day for the delivery window. yesterday I did x train bi's and tri's premix and x train abs.
carolyn I plan on doing burn sets. I always liked it and its been a while. my intention was to work thru Xtrain but I haven't been doing that. we also unloaded a truck load of wood yesterday so that was some other good upper body work.

Valerie-I'm so sorry about the homelessness and drug problems there. The experience you had sounds horrible. I can understand how upsetting that would be. We don't really have a problem with it here. That's one reason that we are thinking of staying here instead of retiring to a different location with a better climate.

Judy, plenty of people dont like winter weather in WA. not california! winters are fairly mild and wet. I read about homeless issues in many other places with more challenging weather so it's not a simple problem. many causes. simplistic solutions don't work.
I carry bear spray when we are mt biking already though animal or people issues are rare. still you are vulnerable on a bike. drug/mental health issues are a huge problem with a big percentage of these people. I don't want to be hassled. I want to be able to defend and get away. part of this unease was because I forgot my phone. amazing how funny I felt without it.
ETA I'm amazed at how little help is available to restrain mentally ill people! even their families are stymied at getting help unless sick person has physically assaulted someone. the first thing mentally ill people do when they have a chance is to stop taking their meds! involuntary commitment is barely available. and then there are astronomical housing costs.

a can of bear spray will stop ANYONE. lightweight, easy to carry. about $35 for a can. with some padding ...fits in a bottle cage on a bike. I have been caught in the spray 2x before, so I know. we haven't had a loose dog problem in years but bear spray works there too.

Last edited:
I did Kickboxing Plus Core this morning and PP Triceps. Only once through triceps because mine get sore very easily and I was really feeling it.

There are actually a lot of homeless people in Michigan. I live in a very rural area, and shop in one of the most highly educated areas in the state, but there are places that have issues. It's one of those issues that unfortunately this country has never figured out how to deal with. Glad you got a ride in this morning before your delivery.

Carolyn great job with the Burn Sets workout! It is going to be a big adjustment to have Nick gone. I don't know that we will see him much. Of course Derek wants to go down, just because Nick will be living very close to two zoos.

Today I did Cardio Party for 39 minutes and 283 calories burned. Average heart rate was 130 and maximum heart rate was 149. I had to go to the grocery store and Costco, so a little busy this morning. Then I did a virtual WW meeting.

Cathy, great job with Kickboxing plus Core and PP Triceps.

Hello to Valerie, Judy, and Diane Sue.

Today I did CDorner Hiit Cardio Kickboxing first round only 11 moves which were to be done 2 times, heart rate 145/171 19 minutes, 114 calories. I just was not enjoying it that much. I went on CDorner Cardio Kickboxing, #122 27:43 minutes, heart rate 159/186, 186 calories. These combined was 3,861 steps. I then did Part of her 30 minute full body mini band workout, first 2 groups which are done twice each, 24 minutes, 68 calories. I stopped when she started triceps which was going to require me to hang on to the band and pull with the other and I did not want to put pressure on my hand. I had to modify parts of the first two groups. I had to rush to get out the door to get shopping done. Walmart must be waiting for a produce delivery and hardly any kombucha tea today. I wanted some organic kefir and there was no kefir anywhere.
Thumb and wrist still hurts. It feels okay when I wake up and as soon as I start doing things it hurts. I have had this before, but it has been years.. I am going over supplements and ordered some multi collagen from ancient nutrition. I can pick up the marine collagen next order from Whole Foods. I think diet change has something to do with this. I have had gout attacks before, but I do not think that is it. I do not do most of the things or eat most of the things that would set that off. Some fish, not salmon though, has purines that can be a problem. I don't really eat hardly any beef. Anyway, I will figure it out.

Total time spent was 70 minutes, 368 calories, 3,861 steps.
band work
round 1
band above knees side to side with a jump middle option
plank jack or just plank hold with band
hip lift bridge knees out and in on hands or lying option
plank with side turn leg lift (I just laid on my side and did the leg lifts with the band on and repeated on the other side
repeat
round 2
squat with band around wrists V overhead and down
1 leg rows with band around wrists
sit ups (climbs) with band around wrists and on the way up arms move overhead
repeat
Cardio Kickboxing 30 Minute at home Workout - YouTube

If my typing seems off, I have a lousy small cheap keyboard I am using to avoid reaching up to the height my laptop is on it's stand for my neck. That was really aggravating my shoulders. This keyboard skips letters sometimes and I have to go back and fix it which is not good for my hand and wrist., I take lots of breaks. I am not good with using a mouse left hand.

I did PP Lower Body plus an extended stretch today. Was glad that for most things I was just holding the weights as my arms were sore in weird places. Has to be from my triceps workout, but not in my triceps. Outside muscle below my elbows. Hopefully it'll be better tomorrow.

Carolyn good job with Cardio Party!

Diane Sue good job sticking with the Hiit workout and then adding the other cardio kickboxing and band work. Always a bummer when you try something new and find out it's not something you like. Sorry to hear about your continued issues with your thumb and wrist and shoulders.

This morning I did Cardio Leg Blast. My time was 60 minutes with 367 calories burned. Average heart rate was 123 and maximum heart rate was 145.

Diane Sue, great job with CDorner HiiT Cardio Kickboxing, Cardio Kickboxing, and her band workout. I’m sorry that your thumb and wrist pain is continuing. Does your arthritis center have a nutritionist that works with them? That person might be able to help you sort through the dietary components.

Cathy, great job with PP Lower Body and the Extended Stretch. Hope those upper body muscles feel better tomorrow.

Hello to Judy and Valerie. Have a great day everyone and try to stay comfortable in this heat.

we rode the local bike trail this morning, 25 miles. 2 hrs 15 minutes. looked at a new connector trail for another possible start location since there are expected road projects on the road we use to get to the parking area. will be good to have a backup route. last year we didnt ride this part of the trail much because the trail itself was having construction.

it was getting too warm by the time we finished the ride. might be 85-ish today by afternoon. I am a total heat wimp. that is WAY too hot for me.

Cathy I cant remember getting sore triceps. some of the surrounding muscles, yes, but my actual triceps never get sore.

we got a replacement water system pressurizer installed yesterday. our old one was failing and causing us grief.
Carolyn that is a good idea for the nutritionist. between medications and dietary variations, it might not be so easy to sort out.

It's been a busy week so far. I can't believe tomorrow is Friday.
I had my annual exam Wednesday. I had gotten my blood work last week so my doctor had the results already. Two years ago my A1C was 5.8, and now it's down to 5.4, which is in the good range again. I also lost 4 lbs that I wasn't really trying to lose. I'm now at the low end of my weight range. I haven't been this low since 2014. It seems that increasing my Peloton rides has given me some good results. Working at HD doesn’t hurt either, as I am always moving when I’m there.

Valerie-I agree, homelessness is not a simple problem. It does seem that there is a much bigger homeless problem in areas that have a warmer climate year round. The homeless problem does seem so bad on the west coast now.

Cathy-Yes, there are homeless people in Michigan but it doesn’t seem to be as out of control as in other areas of the country. I’ve never had an encounter with a homeless person or felt like I needed to protect myself while out walking or running in this area.

Carolyn-Great job with Cardio Leg Blast.

Diane Sue-Nice job with the CDorner workouts. I hope your thumb and wrist feel better.

This morning I did the same workout that Debbie did, CDorner 30 minute Tabata Hiit Aerobic Step, 33 minutes, I started my timer a bit ahead as usual and start moving. heart rate 135/160, 175 calories, 2,088 steps. I did not do the squat thrust move. Instead I did the fast feet across the step. This was a fun workout. At the end I did planks on my forearms. I wanted ,more and did today's Low Impact Steady State 45 minute workout stopping at 30 minutes so I would have time for stretching. This was 30 minutes, heart rate 148/177, 187 calories, 3,506 steps 45 Min Low impact steady state cardio Workout | NO JUMPING | - YouTube Fun music, they used I love rock and roll and other song It has some kickboxing in it and a mixture of moves. This is when I enjoy her kickboxing the most. I also did Upper Body and Neck Stretch, 21 minutes, 28 calories. Total time was 84 minutes, 390 calories, 5,594 steps not counting the stretch and I also did the upper back foam rolling again. There may have been steps in the stretch, but I did not check as first part is standing.
It is amazing how much the thumb affects the hand and forearm and how much we use it. I have been skipping styling my hair other than blowing it dry as that is enough. So far it is a bit better today. I also switched back to Garden of Life Sport Grass fed whey that is undenatured. Vital Performance does not say anywhere that it is. For auto immune and particularly RA Chris Kressor says undenatured whey is one of the better ways to get glutathione production. He says he normally does not recommend supplements much for his patients. Other option is Acetyl Glutathione or Liposamal Glutathione are another option, but studies are not all out on this. He says that about using Tumeric, but if it helps his patients go ahead and use it. He had an updated discussion on his website. I have been using NAC, but just switched to Acetyl Glutathione. He gives the science between how the compound works. Liposamal is expensive and it is hard to know which brands are good quality on supplements. I really try to do my research because sometimes I get something because it costs less and it does not work and I find me wondering if it is just me. He was talking about adrenal fatigue, which he had, and I found interesting about how he handles it and he mentioned Gaia Adrenal support which is what I used when I was so exhausted and could not stay awake and needed naps during the day and decided I needed to try something. It really helped me a lot. Lots of stress with Virtual school and hours I was keeping. Sorry so long, just sharing.

Carolyn, I do not think that there is a nutritionist in the Arthritis Center. They give all new patients a tour. There was all of the radiology equipment and that type of thing, the lab, the pharmacy, and an infusion facility. They also do procedures there. I wish places worked more on nutrition and what causes the condition. We go over my supplements every time. I think all of the dishes with beans, bean pasta I was using, and some of that was causing me the acid reflux. I went back to a more paleo diet the last few days and am much better. I had a little a couple of days ago when I made the chickpea pasta and added chicken and dairy free basil pesto that I made. So, I will see if that makes a difference.
Nice work on Cardio Leg Blast.

Judy, you are really active most of the time with Home Depot and your workouts. That is great that your A1C has lowered. Nice work.

Valerie, I think most of the homeless people are downtown. They do have to work to keep them out of the Myriad gardens and their river walk area. There is some shelters there. I did read some complaints about one of the freeway on and off ramps not far from here where they hang out. It is near a bunch of truck stops. I usually avoid that route when I go to the other end of the city. I don't like driving around all of those big trucks. Not only do we have our own homeless we have all of the people pouring over the border, covid and all. Then there are those street corner people that actually are not poor. They make a lot standing on street corners, walk a few blocks and get into their vehicle and drive to their house. I know police that have seen it. They also hang around convenience stores to beg. I watched an old man that seemed barely able to move creep near the door and asked someone for money to put gas in his car and said his wife was waiting in it for him. The guy went in and came back out and gave him money. I sat there and watched after I got back in my car and he walked very slowly around the building and came back to do it all over again. I mentioned it to my son and he said he was well known by the stores owners and had been doing it for years. Sad, but I do not know how they can put a stop to all of it. It is in the upper 90's here right now. Really hot. I am really appreciating our house with good working air. I actually get cold in the house with it set for 76.

Cathy, nice work with PP. I would have liked to do a lower body workout today, but I think it would set off that thumb and wrist. I have had this before, but it has been a few years. They x-rayed my hands a couple of years ago. I am trying Volteran on it. I forgot I was going to ask my doctor about that stuff. Mostly it works best to not use it.

Local government is part of the homeless problem. some court decisions tied their hands on enforcing even minimal regulation. I don't remember the exact name of the case but call it the Boise decision which said people can sleep outside ( legal decision. not a complete analysis) if shelter beds are full. so we have a perfect storm of things that have made it a terrible situation. we also have stunningly high real estate prices. if a house is standing, its worth a million dollars , so rental properties get sold and the tenants cant find new places to live since most can't afford a million dollar house, and landlords want to sell at a huge profit and be done with it. we have lax mental health laws that allow crazy people to do what they want. everyday street crime laws are not enforced well either, and people get off and go back to do the same thing again. efforts to restrain the police made them unwilling to step in. in short, I will probably never need it, but I feel better with a means of defense with me. I would avoid using this unless it was absolutely necessary. bear spray will get to everyone in the area and make them miserable for a long time, including the person doing it.
there are people sitting and begging everywhere, and too many soft hearted people give them money! and most of it is a con, just like you described, diane sue. great! fund their drug habit! fund their "lifestyle" Crazy! Judy I have had several contacts with homeless people, no trouble but made me nervous. we can easily see drug deals going on in a park, see multiple people "down" on the ground or benches, sleeping along side of road etc. most are pathetic and harmless but who knows? a can of spray handy is not a big deal. we used to carry it for dogs but they have not been an issue for years. one dead guy EMTs were picking up. the trail we ride on is forested, and generally has not had homeless people. DH and I always ride early in the morning, so leftovers from the night before?.... . Strong work on improving your labs. Ok rant over....

diane sue, had your hands xrayed? mine are an absolute mess. arthritic deterioration. bones, joints distorted. I wear a brace at night on one hand and have for years. it seems to help, somewhat immobilizes it. apparently most people bend their wrists in weird positions while asleep and a supportive wrist brace at night gives it a rest. I dont want to take NSAIDS all the time. getting old is not for sissies.

will do upper body workout later. got to do shopping before it heats up.

Last edited:
Today I did XTrain Bis and Tris. My time was 46 minutes with 168 calories burned. Average heart rate was 105 and maximum heart rate was 145. I went heavier than usual on most of the exercises.

Diane Sue, nice work with the CDorner workouts. I hope that some of the changes that you are trying will help with the pain and discomfort.

Valerie, that’s great that you found a backup route for your rides. It’s good to have options. The homeless problem is very complicated and it is affecting so many people.

Judy, that’s wonderful news from you annual exam. You have a lot of healthy lifestyle things going on.

Hello to Cathy.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.