Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 7/15

Usually I get more DOMS the second day. this time it was the first day. much less discomfort today. calf muscles don't get a lot of work on a bike or even moderate hiking . this was an extremely steep hike for a section and it really gets your calves. going down is harder than going up.
anyway Deb, a bike is a good workaround for me. I think you'd be able to tell in a few minutes if it was comfortable.

Today I did Cathe Live Low Impact Cardio plus Upper, 60 minutes (53 actual), 331 calories, 2,808 steps, heart rate average 123, max 166. I liked that this was cardio first then moves to the floor after a break with mountain climbers and plank lunges switch. At 26 minutes it is upper weights. I then did Live Time saver Step Grooves which was fun and not tons of impact, 36 minutes, 227 calories, 3,331 steps, average heart rate 143, max 183, met 5.8. Total time 96 minutes, 558 calories.
Upper weights (I was unsure of Cathe's weights since hers are different colors and she only mentions 10# on the orange ones during the core)
shoulders
overhead press 15# dbs 16 reps second round 12 reps
deadlift/upright row 12# dbs
rear delt flys 10# dbs (I think this was 3 sets?)
lateral raise 1 arm both arms 1 arm 8# dbs first round 5's second as Cathe changes the format
repeat
Biceps
hammer curl 15# dbs 8 reps; sweeper curls 15# dbs 8 reps; traditional curl 12# dbs 8 reps; reverse curl 12# dbs 8 reps Repeat
Chest
push up wide 8 reps, close 4 reps repeat
pullovers 15# db first time , chest flys 15# dbs, pullover 15# dbs
Core Upper
15# db pullover move to reach toe
russian twist 10# db
elbow on floor reach toward toe one side then the other then alternate
leg shooters 16 reps
plank down up toe tap in
plank hold

I am taking a rest day today. I needed to do some cleaning and run errands so that became my workout.

Deb, good job with 21 Day Fix Pilates. Hopefully the stretching and flexibility work will give you some relief.

Lori, it was good to hear from you. I was starting to get concerned.

Diane Sue, that was quite a Live workout today. I’m glad that you are enjoying it.

Hello to Judy and Valerie.

Deb, I am enjoying the Cathe Live workouts. I enjoyed them before, but I did not like having to hook up something or take the laptop upstairs. It is so easy with the Roku channel. I can switch to Kelly's or You Tube with the Roku as well so they are all easy :) I liked the format of today's workout as well and it could easily just be used for the low impact cardio the way it is set up.
That is wonderful that your uncle likes to square dance at his age :) I love seeing elderly people stay active.
Kelly's workout set off some soreness in my hip yesterday and my knee. Not as bad as it was before, but I chose upper and lower impact today to be careful.

Valerie, it is always amazing how less worked muscles can get so sore when we workout like we do. When my hip was bothering me I could do spin, but I had to lighten tension and do a lot of standing work over seated to avoid it hurting from leaning forward so much. That is with the spin bike though. I suppose it would depend on the bike. A recumbent would probably be better.

Carolyn, I have had to shorten a lot of workouts just to get in some housework and other errands that I have had to do. I am missing the stretching that I wanted to fit in. Today I did a bit extra after the workout. Yesterday I shampooed the sun room carpet and cleaned cobwebs. That room really needed it. Gertie likes to lay in there and the grandchildren play in there. I felt good just getting that done.

Lori, I hope you get caught back up soon on work. How long does you husband have to wait for the results of the colonoscopy?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.