Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 7/14

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Today I did LITE Pyramid Pump Total Body, Up Only premix. 59 minutes, 274 calories. This one is tough. I wish the lower body had less slide exercises. Those are not my favorite. It looks like everyone may be enjoying the weather etc today.

Valerie, I am going to check and see if they have the American version in the library.

Carolyn, I guess the police are doing what they can, but I am surprised that even 4000 was turned in. I sure would not want to be that driver. Wouldn't you think that the money would be in some kind of sacks or boxes?

Hi to Lori, Judy & Diane Sue....

Rest day for me today. Deb, nice job with LiTE Pyramid Pump. I feel the same about the slide lunges in the lower body segment.

Greetings to everyone and have a wonderful day.

Good morning. we did a road ride this morning, 24 miles, hrs 10 min. much less traffic than last time we did this one a week ago. I didn't end up doing anything yesterday. the potatoes fields are blooming, smells so good. you would not think potato flowers would be so pretty and sweet smelling. lots of other crops growing vigorously. we can recognize beans, corn, cucumbers and some kind of squash, probably zucchini.
Deb, hope you find it. give it a try, it may or may not appeal to you. I'm hesitant to recommend this one without a lot of cautions because of all the dozens of ways one can be offended by this series. they push every single hot button, many times over. even "buttons" you never thought of.
We finished The Path last night. Ehhh… so so, I would not watch it again, IMO tedious. I was glad it was over but after investing many hours, I wanted to see how it would end.

well, gosh, I think that money is gone and most is probably spent already. you wonder why it wasn't more secure , like in lock boxes or something?

This morning I did Lite Cardio Party before going to church. I had my grandchildren all afternoon while their parents were out together. So, most of my day was playing with the 5 year old :) I have my mammogram tomorrow morning and lots of errands and cleaning that I need to get done. I got the newer step today that has the smooth top without the grids and the grooves for making it into an incline. I am still having pain in my arm and shoulder. I went over movements that I have rarely done to try and figure what has set this off and am wondering if it was the Raw Ripped and Ride movement with the 10# plate where you hold it out in front of you and turn it back and forth like a steering wheel as you move it up and down. It felt uncomfortable a couple of weeks ago and I had done it again Tuesday which is about when this started up again only worse. Anyway, I am working on just cardio and lower till I don't notice any bad feelings there. Even my elbow started hurting and that could be that I made up for overhead stuff in compound moves by doing extra biceps curls. I need more recovery time between weight workouts. Kelly did not put up a challenge workout the last two days so I am not really behind there. She did put up a descending pyramid upper body workout which looks good, but I won't be doing it for awhile.

Carolyn, that is a shame that there are not more people that would have turned the money in. I am sure the drivers are without a job right now.

Deb, I am pretty sure there is a premix that leaves out those sliding moves, but it really does take away from the workout time. That is what I thought about the money. I would have thought it would be in locked totes or metal boxes. The whole thing seems a little bizarre. Maybe it was a set up deal or something.

Valerie, I love the smell of things blooming and just the beauty overall. I had to finally go out front and water my hibiscus which is so pretty right now blooming and bees all over it. My crepe myrtle is blooming as well, but things were starting to look a little wilted with the high heat and now dry weather.

Last edited:
Good morning,

Today I did an I-Tread walking treadmill workout, 35 minutes, 235 calories.

Valerie, wow, did not know potato plants even had flowers, let alone that they smelled good! (**reddens in embarrassment). My library does have Shameless, ( actually both the US and England versions) so I will pick up season 1. As for BCS, all straightened out. :) It's amazing what you can fix when you watch the 3rd disk of a season..LOL

Diane Sue, good luck with the mammogram. Good idea to rest your upper body until that pain is gone. That steering wheel move does sound like it may hit/hurt areas. I will check out the premixes again on that workout, however, without the sliding moves, all that is left is the high step ones, and deadlifts I think. I may sub the lower body original Pyramid this week for the LITE one.

Hi to Carolyn, Judy & Lori,

Take care,

This morning I did 4 Day Split Higher Intensity Step and Chest and Back. The cardio segment was 28 minutes with 220 calories burned. Average heart rate was 132 and maximum heart rate was 150. The weight segment was 36 minutes and 142 calories burned. Average heart rate 109 and maximum heart rate 136. Total workout time was 64 minutes and 362 calories burned.

Deb, it’s good that you got your treadmill workout in early today. I don’t blame you for planning to substitute for Pyramid Pump Lower Body.

Valerie, like Deb, I never thought of potato plants as having flowers. It’s great that you can ride and enjoy nature.

Diane Sue, I hope that your mammogram appointment goes well today. You have been working your upper body pretty hard, so it seems like a good idea to ease off a bit.

Hello to Judy and Lori.

Skagit valley grows a lot of potatoes. I think (I don't know for sure) that pink flowers are the red potatoes, and white flowers white or yellow potatoes. they are very fragrant and the fields are huge swathes of pink or white. lots of other crops but potatoes are the prettiest. we've grown potatoes, one or two plants, so we knew about flowers but when there is a huge field, it is really beautiful. smells so sweet.

Deb, I've read the british version is "better" than the American one, but Netflix only has the American version. a lot of the humor is topical so americans will probably "get" the American version better anyway, we are finishing season 9 right now. for me, watching a season here and there is fine. I don't think I would want to binge watch this one.

diane sue best of luck on the mamm. I always stress about them. I agree with others, let upper get some r&r. you work things pretty hard, and will probably heal if you give it a break.

so DH and I are having a dust up. he makes the coffee in the morning, and he used up what we had and didn't tell me. all I ask is he mention it is low and I will get more but I don't do a full inventory every time I shop. Orleave the empty bag on the countertop. so he's all po'd because we're out of decafe.:eek:

Last edited:
Today I did Kelly Coffey Cardio Blast workout 1 Step blast, 34 minutes, heart rate average 146, max 175, 3,200 steps using an 8 inch step, 250 calories, met 8.8. I then did Cathe 4 day split higher intensity step cardio, 6 inch step, 35 minutes, heart rate average 132, max 169, met 7.4, 212 calories, 2,719 steps. Total time was 69 minutes, 462 calories, 5,919 steps. Plans have changed again for this week. Son in law will be here Wed and Thurs. I got a lot done today. I did my mammogram, got my license renewed (didn't have to pay because I now am old enough to not pay LOL) , bank, Walmart. Came home and immediately started flying through cleaning and even went outside and hosed out the trashcans since the trash truck came today. I have to be up early and ready to take my grandson to his day camp. I was hoping to get someone to come out and service our air units today. He called back and said he couldn't get someone out today, so now I am hoping this works out around my running in and out the door. When I was watering the front last night I noticed the wiring was coming apart on the air units and they need new pipe insulation.

Deb, I was not real happy with the Pyramid Lower body workout on Pyramid Pump. It is just kind of okay. Cathe has better lower body workouts. I may be doing some Tread Climber a couple of days this week since I won't go upstairs while my son in law is trying to sleep.

Valerie, my husband always lays things out that he runs out of. I try to add things to my list as soon as I notice I am low, I do not like going for something and it being gone. I don't have to worry about coffee though. My husband does not drink it.

Carolyn, funny, I did Higher Intensity step today too. I did the premix though as I was just doing cardio. I really have spent a lot of time working upper body lately. Kelly put out a new Descending Pyramid Upper body workout this weekend. It will have to wait awhile.

Thanks ladies, I am really going to try to let up on the upper for awhile. I lugged one of those big packs of Aquafina water in and out of the cart and house today and that was a tough one to tackle. Harder getting it in and out of the cart than it was getting it out of the trunk where I could get both arms under it to lift and carry it. I ended up taking some Motrin this afternoon.

I did x train ch, ba, sh premix and core 1.

WWIII avoided, got more coffee today. I drink some regular coffee, and we both drink decaf, so we are going thru decaf much faster. I am not that picky but sleep better when I keep it to one big cup of 'real" coffee, and then decaf after.

Diane sue, if you are that sore, you should give yourself some time out. I always think that if one spot gets sore, you start favoring that spot to protect it, and then alignment gets off, and other things get sore in response.

Good morning,

Today I did LITE Pyramid Pump, upper body, 3 set (up only) premix, 30 minutes, 174 calories. Yesterday I did 10, 947 steps.

Carolyn, nice job on 4 DS. That is a great series. I really like the weight parts though, not so much the cardio, except the Kickbox one.

Valerie, those fields sound lovely. I can't imagine what it must smell like in Idaho! I think I will go with your recommendation and do the American version. My niece recommended Big Little Lies. I read the book, she said the series is really good. They re-did this one to have it in the US rather than Australia. LOL on the coffee situation....happens here all the time, not just with coffee.

Diane Sue, you sure did a lot of running around, errands etc. Where is your son-in-law from? he is sleeping at your house? I hope your upper body feels better with a break for a few days, or even longer.

Hi to Judy & Lori,

Take care,

Today I did a short JS YouTube workout, 12 Minute Low Impact Cardio Blast. That was 90 calories burned, average heart rate 128 and maximum heart rate 154. After that I did Cathe’s Yoga Max, which was 48 minutes and 94 calories burned. Average heart rate was 96 and maximum heart rate 129. I usually do the Yoga Relax so I often forget that I like this one, too.

Deb, great job with Pyramid Pump Upper Body. 4 Day Split is a great series, but I usually prefer to do the cardio and weights on separate days.

Diane Sue, it’s funny that we both did Higher Intensity Step yesterday. You are having a very busy summer with your family.

Valerie, we have similar problems here. My husband never tells me that he is running low on things. He waits until it’s all gone then goes into a panic. And it’s usually the day after I have gone shopping! I’m the coffee drinker here, so I make sure that I don’t run out. I like the colombian supremo beans from Costco.

Hello to Judy and Lori.

Believe me carolyn, I know all about this! we both drink coffee, but the one thing he makes is the morning coffee. he grinds beans and makes my latte first thing, and has his sip of "real" coffee. I do all the shopping, but the bag of coffee beans might end up in several places. all he has to do is say "running low", I'll get more. since I don't make the coffee, I don't look in the freezer, frig, cabinet or shelf to see what the status is. plus we run a bag of espresso regular and espresso decaf at the same time. he left the empty bags out on the counter yesterday so I guess the message got thru. his hand writing is so bad I cant read anything he puts on my list. even when he prints, its illegible. he's a smart guy but can't spell and can't write anything anyone else can read. yes, he kills off things I cant afford to eat, like M&M's, tosses the bag, and then says "how come we don't have any??" I buy things he can eat but I cant, so I need to get some notification or we can run out.

Deb, both potatoes and our regular road rides are here in Washington. Idaho grows lots of potatoes too, but we are oly there passing thru on way to Montana. these potato fields are a 10 miles from where we live here in Washington. its the general area of the famous tulip fields that bloom in spring.
Big Little Lies was a lot of fun. I am thinking there has only been one season so far? we watched it but I don't remember how we accessed it. many big name stars in it. there is another season in the works. we get basic cable but no premium channels so maybe it was Netflix or Hulu?
we rode this morning, 7.5 miles, just under 2 hours. the tree farm. someone posted pics of an adult cougar strolling up a trail near where we ride. they are a potential threat to mt bikers since bikers resemble deer... fast and quiet... as they ride thru the forest..

Last edited:
Today I did Coffey Fit Raw Cardio Hiit , 36 minutes, 250 calories, 3,289 steps, heart rate average 143 max 164, met 8.1. That is it for today unless I manage to fit in a stretch later. I am taking my grandson to his camp in a bit. On the last part of the workout Kelly does squat thrusts and plank stuff and I subbed plie jacks and speed skaters. The air guy is here doing maintenance and fixing wires.

Valerie, I allow myself a bit of caffeine. My mushroom coffee in the mornings is about half caffeine and I sometimes will go for a regular caffeinated cup of coffee once in awhile. Depends on how low on energy I am. My Kombucha tea has a little caffeine as well so I try to keep that earlier in the day. If I avoid caffeine other than my mushroom coffee I sleep much better. I keep things for my husband that I do not eat around. He was looking for his sugar free fudge ice cream bars last night. I didn't get them yesterday because I wanted to come home after Walmart etc. and I get the Enlightened ones at Sprouts. I got them this morning. You are right, I have noticed myself making up for one side by using the other more, hence my left elbow has bothered me a bit. So, I am mostly just sticking with Cardio. Maybe walk on the Tread climber tomorrow.

Debbie, nice work with Lite Pyramid Pump upper. I am avoiding a lot of arm and shoulder stuff, even around the house. Funny how I notice it when vacuuming and stuff.

Carolyn, I do like the two step workouts on 4 Day Split. I do the double cardio a lot.

Last edited:
Deb, I forgot to answer your question ie. son in law. He lives close by. It is just that he needs to sleep since right now he is working night shift. He gets off around 8 a.m and will sleep here because roofers are going to be replacing his roof the next two days and he would not be able to sleep through the pounding. So, I have the room darkened for him upstairs.

My shoulder does not hurt at all this evening. I went swimming with my daughter and grandchildren after the air guy left. It felt great with the heat wave we are having right now. It is a 100 out right now and it is 7.

Good morning,

Yesterday besides the LITE Pyramid Pump, Upper Body workout, also recorded 10,888 steps.

Carolyn, wow, 90 calories in 12 minutes is a great burn!

Valerie, I get your frustration! We have just the opposite here....John picks up stuff at the store that we don't need, so that we have multiples of everything with no where to put it. He forgets that he just bought something, and figures, "what the heck, we'll use it eventually"..He is the grocery shopper, not me. I think I would steer clear of anywhere with a cougar sighting! Did you read "Big Little Lies? If I remember it right, the book was good.

Diane Sue, Nice workout! I am with you....I am so done with squat thrusts, mountain climbers and anything else that has me jumping from a standing position to a hands on the floor one. I use my Firm 14 inch step box to put my hands on and do the footwork as best as I can. Also, side plank moves are not happening with me anymore either. Makes sense for your son-in-law and sleeping.

Hi to Lori & Judy,

Take care,

we all have our issues, don't we? I do all the cooking and shopping. he eats way more especially desserts. I almost never do. maybe a small piece of chocolate if we are hiking. I keep track of everything for both houses. however, if its something I don't eat or cook with, it is impossible to know what he has devoured. he eats M&M's, hot chocolate, raisins, cookies. I buy them or make them and pretend they're not there. I cant afford the calories. he only occasionally shops with me, like if we are getting a car serviced and need to fill some time while it gets done.
No I didn't read the Lies book. it was a fun series, glad it got renewed. one I really enjoyed was called "Dead to me". it is terrific and has been renewed for a second season. it was either Netflix or Hulu. Christina applegate, linda cardellini. Loved it.
Cougar sitings are regular here, but we've never seen one, even with all the millions of hours driving, riding and hiking. we carry bear spray, especially riding. we've been close to hundreds of black bears, but MT is different with grizzlies. makes you much more alert. bear spray works on bears, cougars, unruly unleashed dogs, unruly people. you never know. much more effective than a firearm and no one dies. we both carry some. I will try to post the cougar pic. not sure what size it is. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1443604712386638/permalink/2410096229070810?sfns=mo

I don't do much jumping, especially where feet move sideways and back, like snow angels. I still like mt climbers, squat thrusts, not as fast as once.. side planks.... I can't block my feet sideways, never could. I jam against a wall, still don't care for them. I like all variety of planks straight arm and on elbows.

Last edited:
This morning I did 4 Day Split Bootcamp with Triceps and Biceps. Bootcamp was 30 minutes and 218 calories burned. My average heart rate was 127 and maximum heart rate was 150. I forgot to start my Fitbit at the beginning of the weight work, but the data is close. Workout time was 29 minutes with 148 calories burned. My average heart rate was 114 and maximum heart rate was 150.

Deb, yes the short JS workout was a quick calorie burner. It’s one of the workouts from her YouTube channel. I usually don’t do squat thrusts, but I will do mountain climbers. I modify side planks to have one knee on the ground. That takes some of the pressure off of my shoulders.

Valerie, when you mentioned Big Little Lies, it reminded me that I want to watch it. I started season 1 last night. There are two seasons already and they just started season three. It’s an HBO show.

Diane Sue, that’s great that your son-in-law could sleep at your house. I’m sure that the pool felt wonderful with the hot weather.

Hello to Judy and Lori.

This morning I did Kelly Coffey's Cardio Kick Step Boxing horizontal step mix(she turns the step vertical first half and horizontal second) This was 40 minutes, 249 calories, met 7.0, heart rate average 134, max 169, 3,378 steps. I took my grandson to his day camp and stopped at Sprouts for a couple of items and then did 15 minutes of Coffey Fit Raw Run with Me using the Tread Climber, heart rate average 127, max 161, 103 calories, 1, 390 steps. I finished off with Raw stretch, 28 minutes, 66 steps, 67 calories. Total time was 83 minutes, 419 calories, 4,834 steps. I don't get the shoulder thing. It was great yesterday. I woke up about 3 this morning with it throbbing and wondered if it was how I was sleeping. My neck is crackly today. My husband mentioned Sunday that maybe it was the new My Pillow Pillows I bought. I did not buy the correct pillows by T shirt size when I ordered and ordered the premium ones. I got his at the fullest height and mine just under that because the most complaining reviewers were the ones that got the classic regular ones. My brother has had some for several years and they flattened out. Although I don't think talking to him, that they washed them and put them in the dryer every couple of months which would fluff them back up. In fact they come rolled up in a tube and you pop them in the dryer for 15 minutes when you unwrap them. I have not been having that much neck problems since I got them though. That was one of the reasons I purchased them and I wanted to get rid of the water pillow. I can mush the foam around and make a dip for my head and a place for support under my neck. I still think I injured the shoulder so will keep working on it.

Deb, I do not send my husband to the store. He would always come home with extra goodies. Side planks are really hard when the shoulder and elbows are hurting. I just cannot manage them when it is like that. I remember having my elbow hurt like this years ago and I was doing lots of kickboxing workouts. I had to let up. Kelly and Cathe both throw a lot of boxing moves into their workouts.

Valerie, I usually do not encourage my husband to go to the store with me. The only stores we go to together is Home Depot or something like that. Last time we went together was when I was sick and we went to Walgreens and CVS trying to get my prescription. He came out with a huge bag of M&M peanuts.
Usually if we are getting the car services or tires or something we end up at Braums and eat.
I think that cougar looks thing and hungry. Kind of creepy. Bear spray is definitely a must.

Deb, nice job on the 10,888 steps. I did that two days ago. Yesterday was a little over 10,000 and probably would have been more when swimming, but I did not have my watch on. I doubt I get there today though. I am only at 8,000 and really do not plan on running around that much :)

Carolyn, I often find the data is not too much different if I miss starting the Fit Bit for a few minutes. Sometimes I can average out what the time loss would be and when I look at MFP stats for the workout I am right there. Nice work today.

Carolyn, we don't get HBO but we saw Big Little Lies somehow. it must have been on Netflix or Hulu. I could not remember if one or two seasons but probably two. a fun series!

Diane sue, yes, we often do HD or Lowes together. every time he comes along for groceries, I forget things. he is a distraction and a poor cart driver. I'm definitely better doing groceries alone. having him along is like driving/talking on the phone at the same time. you think you can do both at once, but not really.

yesterday I did reved up rumble, and core 1. I am finally getting those sit outs. an awkward move for me but slowly more do-able. I think body proportions have an effect on those. I have a very short torso. to touch my leg down sideways is a way longer reach than it seems for Cathe…. or something like that.

we are getting a new HVAC system installed for our upstairs. the nights of lost sleep due to heat, humidity, noise are almost over! these are individual units wall mounted in each room. independent room controls. it is a bit of an investment, but we have gotten tired of trying to cool the bedrooms by running the air conditioning unit when its not up to the task. the floor plan of this house is the issue and can't change that. we never can get the upstairs cool enough, even when the main floor is too cold. we expect it will boost resale value too. 7:30 and they are here to finish the job today.

This morning I got started extra early and did Kelly Coffey's Cardio Sculpt Fitness cardio only mix with abs, 39 minutes, heart rate average 128, max 164, met 7.0, 248 calories, 3,087 steps. I brought my foam roller downstairs and am going to do the Raw foam roller stretch in a bit. I took my grandson to his camp and stopped to get some things for birthday cake for my daughter's birthday family gathering Sunday. Her birthday is today. I went to bed and woke up with such a massive headache. I am going to have to forego the Motrin and Excedrin. I have not used it more than twice a day and mostly 1 tablet, but I am afraid of rebound headaches which are the worst things ever. So, I will try ice and foam rolling today. Finding time is not always easy. I was going to go to the store and shop for a birthday present while I was out, but just felt I needed to come home. Maybe tomorrow I will get a present bought. I have my physical Monday and Tuesday is game day. One day will fit in swimming. I am not sure about the rest of the week yet. My grandson is not on the schedule. It would have been Tuesday, but my daughter saw my calendar with ladies game day and told me to go to that, they would work it out.

Valerie, I have done those sit throughs quite a lot with variations of it with Cathe and Kelly and have gotten used to them. Still they are rough if the shoulders and neck are sore as their is a bit of twisting on it. Also depends on how fast they are doing it.
I hear you on the floor plan and the air. Our house is deep and the bedroom is clear at the end while the air heat units are in the front of the house. It gets freezing cold in the winter and is hot during the summer. That ceiling fan really dries out my sinuses and I wake up often at night during the summer months to drink water. Individual units would be nice.
I totally lose my mind when I have someone else shopping with me. That includes grandchildren. I end up with things I did not plan on purchasing, argue out that if the items are not consumed, I am stuck with them. Then I go out of the store forgetting things I wanted, or accidentally picking up the wrong products. I read labels and compare prices, look at my rebates on my phone and offers and prefer my shopping by myself if at all possible.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.