Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 7/11

Friday I went and walked at the zoo and then to my parents. I went back and read what I wrote and I really worded it poorly. Somehow my brother got my parents to take their cat while they are driving to and from Oregon. Turns out my parents aren't that thrilled about it, and I really don't see it going well. My brother has never been a cat person and always had big dogs, but they can't have a large dog where they are, so they got the cat. It's not that hard to find someone who'll come in every other day and give it more food and water and scoop the litter box. I think he's too used to having dogs that can't be left without at least 2-3 time a day visits.

Yesterday I did Xtrain Burn Sets Bi's and Tri's. Actually made my biceps sore which is a real rarity. Today I did Xtrain AOLIH premix with Step and Disc. Shopping tomorrow, so not sure I'll do anything and Tuesday Derek and I are planning to go to Fort Wayne.

Mosquitos here continue to be bad. Too much to hope for that we could get a couple nights of heavy frost in July. LOL Today I caught one of these really nasty ones in the house and drowned it in some soapy water. First time I've seen one and they are huge compared to the normal mosquitos we have. https://www.eclectablog.com/2011/08...xgvZ5SmpSq14NLd4Gw8pMAOe8ZAvD_tHXu3RAOXm3giNk

Valerie that sounds like a really tough hike you did on Thursday. One heck of a workout! And great job with Stacked Upper Body! I don't wear anything but over the head sports bras or tanks with shelf bras, but all I need is something to keep them in place when I workout. Only time I had anything up top was when I was pregnant/nursing. I'm not flat, but definitely not big.

Judy great job with the Peloton workouts!

Carolyn great job with Low Impact Challenge and Peace, Love, Cardio (love that name)! I agree that Turbo Barre is too long, that's why I drop a couple sections.

Diane Sue great job with the Kickboxing and Tabata combo!

This is the blender I got: https://www.ninjakitchen.com/exclus...h-smoothie-bowl-maker-and-nutrient-extractor/ So far I really like. Way easier to clean that the Vitamix and more powerful, plus it does more stuff.

Good afternoon. Today is a rest day for me. It’s sunny right now, but we will have more rain this afternoon. It’s been raining for days.

Diane Sue, that’s wonderful that your CT scan went well. Are these nodules on your lungs? Good that they are monitoring them.

Judy, great job with your Peloton ride and Muscle Meltdown Triceps and Shoulders.

Cathy, I saw that we were posting at the same time. Great job with XTrain Burn Sets Bis and Tris. Thanks for clarifying the situation with your brother’s cat and the long car trip. I was really wondering how that would work!

Valerie, I hope that you have a good ride today.

Back from our ride 2 hrs 5 minures. Really nice this morning. we have been riding this route for so long that even the cranky old farmers who dont like bicyclists give us a wave. most sunday mornings about 3/4 of the year at about the same time for decades.
I am not particularly top heavy compared to many, but things bounce. unpleasant... I like some compression. even for mt biking. I think this bra will be nice. the OTH ones I keep forgetting and leaving in MT. shelf bras do not do it for me. I need a bigger dose of spandex. some of the bras I tried had very complicated strap and adjustment systems, and didnt fit very well to boot. I returned them all. this shefit one looks by far the best.

cathy my blender is a Ninja. looks much like the basic blender you got without the extra containers. the lid has to be latched correctly to run. the center column with the 3 semi circular blades is deadly sharp. I run mine thru the DW but am careful how I put it in.
We found out quickly none of our cats traveled. we left them at home with the whole house available, several litter boxes, an autofeeder and big bowl of water. every cat we had drank out of the toilet. unlimited water available as long as lids were up. we never had anything destroyed. they were happy to see us back for about 20 minutes, then things went back to normal. if we get another kitty we would take it to MT with us and then I can report back on whether thats a good idea or not. a long days drive but then normal environment.

Judy I used to use Moving Comfort bras, but thinking they got bought out by Brooks? I have not seen UnderArmor before. my last OTH bra was Nike. its nice. its simple, I left it in MT! its really hard not to forget something going back and forth. I love having a washing machine both places but its so easy to leave things without meaning to.

Last edited:
Valerie-Nice ride! Yes, Brooks bought out Moving Comfort. I used to wear those too. Nike is another good one.

Carolyn-I hope you had a nice rest day. It rained here today too.

Cathy-Nice job with the XTrain workouts! I hope your parent's cat sitting goes well. I love cats but I don't think I would want to take care of someone else's cat in our home for an extended period of time. That could be stressful depending on the cat's temperament.

No workout today. Just pre-chopping and cooking some food items. I will be busy this week and family birthday I am also preparing for on Sunday. I will have to go out shopping one day this week. I could not get everything from Whole Foods that I need. We went out and washed my car and filled it with gas for all of the running around I am doing.

Cathy, cats can be left for a couple of days with plenty of food and water. Once when I was a child we went on a trip and my brother had dropped candy wrappers in the bath sink. Someone forgot to leave water and my siamese cat managed to turn the water on. My parents were not happy! That is the one thing about a dog. You just cannot do that. Dogs need let out more than once a day and someone tot be around for a bit. That is a bit of a problem with our move as before, for Gertie's comfort I could leave her and my grandson would just come over several times a day and feed her and walk her and stuff as they lived really close. We offered for him to stay here with her when we were gone recently, but he has to work and his house is further the other direction from work as they moved too. He took her home with him and they had the fun of two dogs. She was good for them though and did not try to run off as they do not have fencing. They have a training collar and something to help train their pup to stay in. Gertie is a people dog and she just goes where we are.
Those mosquitos sound scary. We have had plenty as we get standing water sometimes when we have a downpour before it drains off.
I have the smaller Ninja for smoothies, other wise a cuisinart blender. It just always seems the smaller blenders meant for smoothies like the Ninja and the Magic Bullet work better than the big one at getting things smooth.

Carolyn, we had rain last night, but was sunny today. Yes, the nodules on on my lungs. It has been over two years since they showed on the first heart CT, so they are just monitoring for changes.

Valerie, I used to use Moving Comfort bras. Would wearing a compression shirt or tank like Tommy Copper give more support over your bras? I have one of the shirts, although I do not like feeling like I am wrapped up tight when I am sweating. I got one of the posture shoulder t shirts. They sell workout clothes.

Judy, now I know why I never see Moving Comfort anymore. I have been using Under Armour and Wacoal which has the hooks in the back.

doing garden work this morning. been so warm and dry we are going to have beans and zucchini by tomorrow. unheard of early for here.

you would think with all the rain we would have rampant mosquitos, but we don't. occasionally there are some in some specific areas, also in the mountains. I used to back off hiking in july and august due to bugs, black flies and mosquitos. every year was different. I've tried every repellant and none work very well on me. if it works for mosquitos, the black flies redouble their efforts. I am trying higher per cent picaridin repellant this year with my clothes sprayed with permethrin, mainly for ticks. ticks arent a big issue here but are in MT in spring. I wear a loose nylon shirt to cover skin, which takes care of the sunscreen issue too.
diane sue I opt for a heavier duty bra. I have enough trouble overheating but not sweating much. they can always be found but it takes looking as companies come and go and change their styles. OTH got a lot of bad press but they always worked best for me. I cant hook things behind me, and most sports bras do not allow you to hook in front and spin them around. t backs, and crossed straps etc. back hooks don't ever fit right.

This morning I did KCM’s Cardio Quick Fix, workout one. That was 25 minutes and 181 calories burned. Average heart rate was 128 and maximum heart rate was 144. Then I did Jessica Smith’s Gentle Yoga, Hips and Knees flow. That was an additional 22 minutes and 22 calories.

Valerie, nice ride yesterday. The blades on the high powered blenders are extremely sharp.

Judy, I didn’t realize that Brooks bought Moving Comfort. I bought two of them before my breast surgery because I needed front closure bras. I looked for the brand a couple of years ago and couldn’t find them. That explains why.

Diane Sue, chopping and prepping items ahead of time is a great way to prepare for a busy week. I even do a little of that early in the day if I plan to make something that requires a lot of chopping for dinner.

Hello to Cathy.

Today I woke up with shoulder, neck and low back hurting for no apparent reason. I was pleased as I felt pretty good yesterday all day and that strength workout Saturday did not bother me. Maybe it was because yesterday was a day off and no stretching or extra movement.
Today I did CDorner Step Aerobics #88 Disco, 60 minutes, heart rate 135/169, 5,087 steps. I then did CDorner Upper body and neck stretch 26 calories, and Cathe Perfect 30 Flow timesaver strength and flexibility, 18 minutes, 30 calories. Total time was 96 minutes, 360 calories. I also did some foam rolling from CD's hips and shoulder. I did not count that one.

Valerie, I have been spraying my husband and his clothes with non greasy repellant. Mosquitos always go after him and when we have went to family camp outs and stuff, he did not like sitting around the firepit evenings. I don't get mosquito bites often, but it sure seems like they seek him out. Since he works nights he says it is awful.
My problem with the back hook sports bras is that I have had the hook area rub the skin off my back when lying on the step bench and on the floor doing ab work. But most that I have had I could hook and turn it around. I find the t backs that fit snug are terrible to get off when my shoulder is painful. I think I wear two sports bras most of the time because of that. They are not super snug though. I do not like to torture myself trying to get the bra on. That goes for regular everyday ones as well. They are all uncomfortable or fit weird.

Carolyn, nice work today. I need to pull out Cardio Quick Fix again. I always have fun with that one. Nice work on the Jessica Smith yoga as well.

its odd but some people seem to be insect magnets. I am one of those, and the bites hang around for a long time. I still have some bothering me from MT and that's more than 2 weeks ago. for that reason, I retreat inside when bugs are bad. ETA Im especially a magnet for flies. I get serious bites and sores that last for weeks. when flies are intense in the mts, I do not hike. I sympathize with your DH. my husband doesnt get chewed on as much as I do.
diane sue these bras might work for you. the sizing is pretty simple since the chest strap is velcro as are the shoulder straps so very adjustable. could try to blame arthritis for my problems hooking bras in the rear, but I've never been able to do it. something about how my hands and forearms are connected, just cant do it. there is another company doing a similar front zip bra, its called knixwear. trying Shefit first.

off to do a ride. ordered a new rear view mirror for my bike, the old one was getting too scraped to see out of. thought it would be here but not yet.

back from the ride 2 hrs 11 minutes. a lovely morning again. not busy when we started but kicked up by the time we finished.

Last edited:
This morning I did RWH Back, Biceps and Shoulders, two sets and no finishers. I also did Abs One. My time was 47 minutes with 181 calories burned. Average heart rate was 105 and maximum heart rate was 145. The Abs workout includes standing ab work with an eight pound dumbbell. I had forgotten that, but it was a nice change for Abs. I used a 5# dumbbell.

Diane Sue, great job with CDorner Step Aerobics and P30 Perfect Flow timesaver. Waking up with pain is never good. I hope that the yoga helped a bit.

Valerie, my husband is one of those people who attracts mosquitoes. If we are standing together he is always the one to be bitten.

Hello to Judy and Cathy.

Today I did RWH Legs for 40 minutes and 235 calories burned. My average heart rate was 121 and maximum heart rate was 147.

Hello to All and have a great day.

No workout today. It took me an hour and 10 minutes to get to my arthritis doctor and the wait was so long. Parking was difficult as they had so many people there. It is annoying that they have two bathrooms each for one person all genders and one is by the pharmacy and one the other waiting area. I made sure not to drink any water this morning and still needed to use it because the wait was an hour and I still had the drive back home :( I hate public bathrooms anyway, but that is crazy since they have their infusion area, labs, radiology where they do mri, x-rays etc.. Convenient except the bathrooms. People come from out of tow to use this center. Anyway, he thinks the way my right shoulder moves and the pain areas that it may be a rotator cuff issue. We agreed I would wait and see how the steroid injection goes and I go back in 3 months :rolleyes: (usually 6 months) because he may want to do another mri, since it has been 2 years, so he can see what is going on. I told him that hurt and I was not wanting to do. I never had an mri hurt till I got the neck and shoulder ones done before. The angle for that length of time with no movement was terribly painful. Also the drive back from thee would be that much more unpleasant.
I don't know why, but my blood pressure and all of that has been really in a good area at the pulmonolgist and the arthritis center. Usually it goes up just because of stress. Maybe eating even more veggie dishes has helped. I definitely have not lowered caffeine as I looked up the Chameleon cold brew caffeine stats and using that and my hot cup of strong coffee in the morning along with kombucha tea is quite a bit.
I have been losing sleep with this stupid shoulder and arm. No comfortable position. The doctor wanted to know if it was because I was lying on it and I told him not. Even lying on my back with arms straight down is painful. My elbow hurts as well. Driving is miserable and I use my left arm to get things out of my cabinets when I have to reach up. So something is definitely not right. Also I need to put on some weight somehow. I was 108 this morning and feel I look silly in my sleeveless clothes.
Oh, and yesterday I did a few minutes of CDorner No Jumping Cardio Sweatfest low impact, 25 minutes, heart rate 139/181, 135 calories, 2,408 steps.
Okay I am done with the negativity, positive on the the blood pressure, and another thought hit me when I was feeling annoyed with all of the big trucks, then thought that is probably a good thing because maybe our products are finally hitting the stores.

Hiked today as planned 5 hrs and 7 min round trip. plus the drive about 90 min each way. still quite a bit of snow at our destination, with some clear spots as well. saw a grouse family and that was it. it was clear and warmer than forecast. bugs are not bad yet in this location. we ducked off the main trail and took a less known very obscure side trail to go up beyond the lakes. people always hike to lakes. we avoid them like the plague. if you want loud obnoxious people making noise and behaving badly..., go to a lake. I finally figured out that WW does not have a proper category for this kind of workout. it's what I call "hiking" but WW must consider it mountain climbing. point value is ridiculously low for "hiking". its a couple miles uphill on a very rough route/trail and then off trail, and our daypacks weigh 20-25 lbs besides.

diane sue I will happily loan you my metabolism. eat any food, you will gain weight. I haven't weighed anything like that since maybe 6th grade?? bad bad genetics. unfortunate about your shoulder discomfort. I had shoulder pain for a long while and a cortisone shot totally settled it down. years ago now. I ended up getting two shots total, and went to PT. I dont know what was the original cause of my pain, but I was lifting the right shoulder upwards for some reason, and when I learned to keep it down, plus cortisone shots, and PT reinforcing correct position, it resolved. I'm still cautious with push ups though. I never had as much discomfort as you are having though, nothing that sounds even close. have you seen an orthopedic doc? or sports medicine orthopedist? rheumatology and orthopedics are completely different specialties with different training focus. if you need a referral, your rheumatologist or primary care will surely give you one. you do serious(!!) workouts and are not a typical deconditioned "older adult". NONE of us are! rotator cuffs are complicated and can tear or deteriorate even if you didn't have a specific injury. shoulder is a complicated joint. we don't have any other joint that goes up /down, back and forth, and around in a circle. everything else is pretty limited movements.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Monday morning I did Live #184, PHA 3, then I did a 30 minute Peloton ride in the afternoon. Tuesday was 6 hours at HD. This morning I did Muscle Meltdowns Triceps, Chest & Shoulders and this afternoon I did a 45 minute Peloton ride. It's been raining so much here that I haven't been able to get outside to run this week. I plan on getting a run in this weekend, if the weather cooperates.

Diane Sue-I'm sorry about the pain you are in. I hope you see some improvement soon.

Valerie-You've been getting in some great hikes and rides this summer!

Carolyn-Great job with RWH Legs. That's really a good workout.

Hi to Cathy

This morning I did JS 30 Minute Fat Blaster from the 30 Day Plan. That was 216 calories burned, average heart rate 132 and maximum heart rate 151. I had to take my car back to the dealership because the air conditioner stopped working again. That was one of the problems when I took it in in May. It was fine for a few weeks then it gradually stopped cooling. It‘s going to cost big dollars to replace a part that is leaking inside the a/c. I plan to buy a new car sometime in the near future, but I am not going without a/c in this climate. The repair will take a few days because they had to order the part and now I am driving a loaner. The loaner only has 700 miles on it and I will use this as an extended test drive.

Diane Sue, I hear you on the inconvenient bathroom situation at the arthritis center. When I have a long drive to and from locations I need to know that a bathroom is available.

Valerie, great job on the hiking. As for logging your activity in WW, I would choose something that more closely matches what you did. If mountain climbing gives better points you should choose that.

Judy, great job with Live PHA 3, and your Peloton ride. I hope the weather allows you to get in a run soon. The weather is crazy this summer with the extreme situations across the country.

Hello to Cathy.

Workouts are sporadic this week. Monday I shopped, and once the boys are at college and I can have my car whenever I want, I think that will be my shopping day. I've shopped most every day of the week at some point this summer and Monday by far had the least people.

Tuesday Derek and I went to Fort Wayne to the zoo. The drive there and the zoo was fine, but by the time we left there was light rain there and we hit really heavy rain at the Michigan border. At one point, I pulled off on an exit ramp and sat for a bit, then drove a bit, and got off again, but that time, it was the road that eventually ends up in the town by us, just the really old highway through the countryside. Took a little longer, but I really hate rain on highways with semis.

Yesterday I did XTrain Legs premix 6, the one that doesn't include the standing weight work. Ever since Tuesday night my left trap has been bothering me in varying degrees. I think from carrying two full stainless steel quart water bottles. It's just a small cheap backpack and puts a lot of weight on my shoulders. Need to figure out something different for next week. I need to figure out what we have that will distribute weight better with less pressure in that area. It was really bad this morning. Very tight and sore. I've alternated hot and cold, used my foam roller and turned Derek loose on it. His technique is pretty primitive, but he's got really strong pressure and is quite happy to dig his thumb into tight muscles. It's loosened up now, but will be sore for awhile. Was debating just doing cardio today (was supposed to do upper body), but we had to have the air conditioner repair guy come out. Turns out when they put the unit in last winter some stuff was incorrectly installed, so it was leaking. He said he knows who did it and the guy is no longer with the company. Apparently, ours wasn't the only one screwed up.

Valerie I agree some people are mosquito magnets. Poor Nick is one of them. They just flock to him. They will try to get me, but not nearly to the same extent. And yes, sadly lakes attract loud people and they tend to feel free to leave their trash behind.

Diane Sue sorry to hear about your continuing shoulder issues. I certainly hope you are able to find a solution soon. I'm really liking my new Ninja Blender. I do use the large container for my smoothies, but they are my breakfast and are generally at least 28 oz. Going to attempt to make some sunbutter soon, as I have some sunflower seeds that need to be used. Also, going to see how it does for guacamole to go with the burritos I'm doing for supper.

Hi to everyone else!

funny about air conditioners! in addition to our very expensive truck repair in MT, the drive home in scorching temps, our air conditioning wasn't working well. we thought it was a bad day to decide with conditions so awful. we drove here to get the mulch on a very warm day. the air was barely working. blowing semi cool air. we have an appt to get it 'recharged" in about a week. Carolyn maybe conditions are different in your area, but new vehicles are scarce here.

when we were faced with a big repair bill (close to $5000) we considered buying a new vehicle instead, as our truck is an '09 and this is not its first problem. surprise.... you can barely buy a car or truck of any kind right now, new or used, and the prices are not negotiable. used vehicles are selling for more than they did new, and new vehicles that come in are bought sometimes sight unseen. we are going to run our truck for another year at least until supplies build up again. so we will get the air fixed ASAP. it semi works but is missing coolant, and the place it goes is not an accessible to fill it ourselves.
cathy being a bug magnet is a drudge!. it affects leisure activity and vacation spots. I hated wisconsin. I could not imagine a worse place to live tho that was me thinking like a teenager. there are definitely worse places! I liked outdoor activities but between mosquitos and allergies, I was not happy there. I had not traveled since my family never went anywhere. you could barely get out of a car there without being eaten alive during summer.

Cathy a small day pack with a waist strap transfers the weight off your shoulders onto your hips. doesn't have to be that heavy to be a drag in the shoulder area, and water is heavy.

Last edited:
Today I did a timesaver from RWH Chest, Triceps, and Shoulders with 2 sets and no Finishers. My time was 30 minutes with 113 calories burned. Average heart rate was 107 and maximum heart rate was 139. After my workout I made a quick run to Costco and Publix which is on the same area. I only needed a few items from each location.

Cathy, nice job with X Train Legs. I did that one last week. That’s great that you could visit the Ft. Wayne Zoo, but the heavy rain was unfortunate. You are right about the big trucks in heavy rain—they splash up so much water that it can blind you briefly.

Valerie, what a coincidence that you also need a/c repair on the truck. I have had my car for 13 years and this is the first large repair bill that I have had so I am trying to keep it in perspective. There is a huge shortage of used vehicles, trucks, and suvs here. I will be looking for another sedan, same model as what I have. There is less of a shortage for those.

Hello to Judy and Diane Sue. Have a great day everyone.

Carolyn the repair of diesel engines is complicated. they remove the entire cab. apparently in the process its easy for coolant to leak. have never had the air conditioning serviced. we weren't too surprised that it needed attention but wish we had checked it before leaving in the extreme heat. we tried to check with the dealer there regarding service, and asked about new vehicles. they had nothing! i think we would have gotten it fixed anyway, but the cost made us check other options and basically, there weren't any. we don't buy new cars every year. the truck is an '09 as is our camper . my car is an "04. we have an '18 subaru. If we like a car we will run it for a while.
semi's and heavy rain are difficult. they throw so much spray, and seem to get into too many wrecks

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.