Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 6/26/2022

Traildoggie

Cathlete
good morning. decided not to ride this morning. very quiet so we are doing some house chores. one of the really nice things about a vacation house is you don't have to go at activity at an insane pace like many of us do on vacations. yep, guilty as charged! we do a lot of activity here but its good to relax and enjoy the pleasure of a quiet pleasant morning too.

Did Strong Glutes and Thighs today. This one uses 10-15 lb weights and the green boss band loop, but while the rest of the class has those weights out, Cathe also has 20's and uses them for squats and dead lifts. I've never seen her do a live where she went heavier while the class was left with no option to do that. She was also wearing a watch. My lower back got really cranky fast with this one, so I had to back off on the weights some.

Valerie enjoy your day. We don't camp regularly anymore, but I always liked how minimal the things I HAD to do were. Are you staying there through the 4th?

Have a good day everyone!

Today I did Jane Adams Gentle Yoga Morning Energy practice for 18 minutes. As usual, a nice gentle mobility stretch.

Valerie, it’s nice to slow down sometimes and enjoy your surroundings instead of frantically rushing from one thing to another. It sounds like you are having a good trip so far.

Cathy, nice job with Strong Glutes and Thighs. It sounds like a serious lower body workout.

Hello to Judy and Diane Sue. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Today I did a 4 mile run and Muscle Meltdown Triceps. It was overcast, but very hot and humid.

Carolyn-Nice job with Jane Adams Gentle Yoga.

Valerie-I hope you had a nice relaxing day.

Cathy-Great job with Strong Glutes & Thighs.

Hi to Diane Sue

Reactions: WD
Today I did the Chair Cardio workout again. That was 24 minutes and 141 calories burned, average heart rate 121 and maximum heart rate 156.

Have a great day everyone.

I did Warrior Kickboxing 2 this morning. Let me say that the workout yesterday really did a number on my glutes and I'm very glad that I had to go lighter on my weights at the time. And I was like who thought it would be good to do KICKboxing the day after. LOL

Judy great job with the run and Muscle Meltdown Triceps. Today was so different than yesterday weatherize. I've been wearing leggings and a light cardigan all day in and out! But in a couple days, back to 90 we go.

Carolyn nice job with the yoga and chair cardio.

Today was just one of those days with lots of interruptions. My workout got split up. My first workout was Raw Boxing and Legs #2 which I got through the first half, 19:13 minutes, heart rate 129/152, 103 calories, I paused as groceries came from Whole Foods earlier than I expected since I had set it for before 2 and this was way earlier. It took me too long I guess, as my Garmin saved my workout stats on it's own. So, I went back and did the rest and heart rate of course had dropped by then. This was 21:49 minutes, heart rate 109/136, 88 calories. Total time for that workout was 40 minutes, 191 calories, 2,612 steps which included putting things away. I chose this workout because it was not long and thought I would be done with it before things arrived. I finished off with Jessica Smith yoga for balance and flexibility Neck and Shoulders, 18 minutes, heart rate 85/101, 38 calories. Total time was 58 minutes, 229 calories.
Yesterday I went to my granddaughter's wedding shower in the afternoon. It was fun. Lots of laughter. Her wedding is not till December though. I already got her wedding present rather than wait till December and higher prices.

Valerie, it is nice that you can be more relaxed in your vacation home. I often wonder why it is that everything in our lives generally feels like it has to be done at a faster pace. I guess part of it is certain times of day we don't want to be out with traffic and crowds etc. so that means pushing for a time frame. Everything seems so hurried.

Cathy, I can pick up 20#, but even for lower body it pulls a lot on the shoulder and I worry about injuring something. I used to use 20's for shoulder presses. I don't know that that will ever happen again. We had some cooler weather yesterday and today. The 80's feels so much cooler than the 100 temps. I was having to go out and put water on my plants every day because they were wilting in the high temps. Weird dog of mine would go out in lie in the grass in the heat and come back in and plop down on the tile under the fan repeatedly. I wonder why dogs like to lie in the heat anyway. She used to do that at our other house and lie on hot pavement. I made her come in because she would end up with the hair coming off her elbows. (I guess that is what you would call them)

Carolyn, nice work getting the chair workout in today and some yoga yesterday. Hopefully you are getting better so you can get back to other workouts.

Judy, nice job with the run and Muscle Meltdown triceps.

we did an uncomplicated mountain bike yesterday of about 6 miles. very close to our house. parked near a lake and rode to some off the road ponds that always have a lot of interesting birds. from there we ride up a very rough road to a cell tower, not exactly a scenic destination, but a good workout, never has anyone using it. someone goes up the "road" a few times a yr to maintain the tower, but its a very rough. wildflowers are good right now. the temp was supposedly mid 70's but it was so hot riding uphill in the sun, it's misleading. the altitude and the intense sun are extremely warm. I got so hot I thought I'd explode but I got there. in cooler seasons this isn't an issue at all, but june sun is intense and it's probably 6000 feet without much tree cover. it got pretty warm yesterday. DH is less bothered by heat. sun more intense so he also has to back off. we wear brimmed hats and wrap around sunglasses all the time. people who live here all the time get used to it but we aren't adjusting. its a bit like Arizona. I woree sunglasses from 7 am there. today is another day off ,getting our truck serviced. maybe some indoor workout later today. I haven't done any upper body work in over a week now.

we still go into a 'vacation mode" schedule where we over plan and do something every minute. its not necessary but its a hard mindset to get out of.

things outside of the park are normal access for us. the intense rain and flooding was localized but those roads are gone and it will be months before this gets fixed. we stay out of the park during summer anyway, too busy and touristy.

carolyn, hope you can start moving into normal workouts gradually but you are the judge of what feels Ok and you don't want to re injure whatever has been such a problem.

all the talk about Hokas has me thinking about my next shoes. I will try them on when I see them to see if they would work for me.

Today I did P30 Perfect Pump Upper Body + the Extended Stretch. My time was 51 minutes with 210 calories burned. My average heart rate was 119 and maximum heart rate was 143. I had to modify positions a bit, but still a good workout. I did some of the exercises such as shoulder presses, tricep overhead extensions and bicep curls seated rather than standing. What I realized with the chair workouts is that the movements are the same seated or standing, especially with strength exercises. Even the cardio moves that Chris does in Chair Cardio are very similar to KCM’s Cardio Quick Fix.

Cathy, great job with Warrior Kickboxing.

Diane Sue, nice job with Raw Boxing and Legs JS Yoga. I’m glad that your grandaughter’s shower went well. I am definitely feeling much better, but I am cautious with movement that causes any discomfort. Lifting my arms overhead pulls down the side of my thigh, something I never noticed before! Sitting eliminates that pulling sensation.

Valerie, nice mountain ride even with the heat. I am taking it slowly to avoid aggravating any tendons/ligaments and injuring myself again.

Hello to Judy. Have a wonderful day everyone.

I did Wicked Upper Body this morning. A very aptly named workout! 5-15 lb weights and using the bench for some exercises. A few new to me exercises. We need some work done on the outdoor faucets. And DH had asked the neighbor guy to look at them. He comes downstairs during my workout and says "Gerry's here do you care of if he comes down." Sure tell him to go ahead. LOL They've been our neighbors for about 25 years.

Diane Sue great job getting in your workout even though you had to split it up. Glad to hear your Granddaughter's shower went well. Dogs and cats are so weird about heat. Cats will lay in the sun, too. Though just as often I'll find the two that go outside hanging out back in the shaded areas of the yard.

Valerie sounds like a really cool ride that you did. I imagine it can be hard to judge layers for the weather there especially when you'll be out for hours. I've always been good with leisurely vacations and can easily chill out at times, I think in part because growing up my grandparents had a cottage and we spent a fair amount of time there with no agenda at all. DH can't stand to be somewhere and not do something. Drives me nuts. Especially when he doesn't know what he wants to do and I'm supposed to figure it out. This is why I'm good if we never travel together again. I can travel with either of the boys and we do just fine.

Carolyn that's great that you did a weight workout. There are a few upper body exercises, like shoulder presses that I actually prefer to be seated for as I feel like I can lift longer and heavier.

Today I did CDorner Step Intermediate 39 minutes, 3,987 steps, 196 calories. That is all I had time for toda

Valerie, I have heard some people love the Hokas and some do not. I am sure it depends on what the foot needs in a shoe. I like the looks of them.

Carolyn, nice work on the Perfect Pump Upper Body today. I would imagine you could get a good cardio workout in with the movements of the arms and upper body. I also found that with the arm surgery and pain, I realized how much movement of the shoulders affect my chest, back and down into my hips. I picked up water off the doorstep when I got Whole foods delivery yesterday and used my right arm, forgetting that I needed to be careful. I realized it when I turned a bit as I hoisted it up and quickly grabbed with the left hand to support. Last night I could feel discomfort on my underarm area and shoulder. It seems okay today, but I did not do the upper body work I had planned on.

Cathy, I am not very good with people walking into the room when I am working out. I don't think my husband would even ask. He might warn me, and I would just quit the workout for the time being.

cathy my family didnt take "vacations". father took his annual time off but usually painted the house or something. my parents didn't get along. traveling with screaming kids and a grandparent was not a great idea. even after us kids were gone they didnt. I started taking vacations with friends when I was in college. I did the trip to D. C. and NYC and eventually to the british isles. a list of "things to be seen" and a schedule to see them. then I got a job that required a lot of travel. hotels and restaurants got old quickly. Ugh.
DH and I like active outdoor things. hiked, backpacked mainly. birdwatching, mt biking and wildlife watching. that kind of travel there's not a "list" of things you need to visit. the first thing I look at in an area is where we can hike and ride. I don't golf, fish, beach or most water sports. bad motion sickness. going on a cruise is the most horrendous idea ever! we visit family but combine it with something fun.
for sure, both people have to be on the same page. if one person wants to visit art museums and the opera, and the other wants to backpack to a remote location, no one will be happy.
its good you can enjoy things with your sons.
this is a topic I find confusing... why did you marry your spouse if you didnt like to do the same things? I dont mean to target you personally at all! but its common. not that you need to be 100% lock- step on everything! some couples vacation separately, or alternate destinations. will someone who enjoys cruising be happy with someone who wants to hike the pacific crest trail?.
I dont mean to pry here but for me this is always one of those basic unanswerable questions of why someone marries someone else.

diane sue you are doing so well in your recovery. wise to keep aware and not re- injure something.

Last edited:
I did Cardio Metabolic Sweat this morning and yes, you sweat! First section is hiit, second is cardio with 5 & 8 lb weights and last section is cardio using the platform. Definitely a good workout and no jumping jacks! Rare for her to do floor cardio without them.

Diane Sue if I'd been doing cardio it would have been much harder because having someone around generally causes me to mess up, but weights were okay. And I really didn't care if he came down all he did was walk through on his way to and from the utility room. Glad that your arm suffered no consequences from lifting the water. So easy to do something like that without thinking. Nice job with the step.

Valerie I don't mind the question. It's certainly a logical one. 25+ years ago we seemed to have a lot in common, but he has some mental health issues and health issues that have showed up during that time that make a lot of things hard. He never sleeps well, which makes traveling hard. He also listens to music pretty much all the time, if he isn't on a live call for work or watching something, and that's hard to do when traveling except when you are in the car. He's also uncomfortable without his normal routine. Physically he's no longer capable of keeping up with me when it comes to hiking on flat ground let alone anything with hills. So a lot of things we used to do aren't really possible anymore. Growing up we didn't do much in the way of vacation either. The last one I really remember was the summer before my sister was born in '66. We went up to the UP and northern WI. Then when I was in about 9th grade they got a tent camper, but within a couple years, I was old enough to stay home on may own while they went. When the boys were little we took a few vacations up north, but then because of finances our vacations became baseball tournaments. Mostly around Michigan, but three times in Ohio. Money on hotels and food for that didn't really leave anything for a true vacation. Then vacations became centered around zoos. We did a big trip years ago, in Indiana and Ohio, but Nick was really not thrilled with that, then he got older and Derek and I started doing zoos on our own. I really don't mind that at all.

I’m taking a rest day today. I wanted to see how my leg felt after yesterday’s workout. Getting situated for the chest exercises was difficult because of the way my leg needed to bend and it was tight for the rest of the day. It’s fine today, but I think that resting was the right decision.

Cathy, great job with Wicked Upper Body and Cardio Metabolic Sweat. I hate having people walk through the room when I am working out. When my family is home I try to work out before they come downstairs. For many of us our interests change over the years and we don’t always enjoy the same activities as we once did. Adjusting to that is part of making relationships work.

Diane Sue, nice job with CDorner Step. I’m glad that your underarm and shoulder area seems to feel better today.

Valerie, Diane Sue is right about the Hokas, it depends on what your foot needs. I need to be able to do a lot of walking throughout the day and some of my shoes can cause foot or knee discomfort after a while.

Waving hello to Judy. Have a nice day everyone.

we did a mt bike this morning, 2 hrs uphill, a snack break, then back downhill for total 3 hrs. 11 miles. the ride we wanted to do is not reachable. a minor bridge is out. we saw the bridge itself downstream of where it used to be. will need replacing, not a wade-able stream. so we looped over to the other fork of the road, and it also was closed. we know the road, and rode it anyway. closed to vehicles, but fine for a bike. there was a semi-washed out section that needs fixing. it's access to two trails we planned to hike, so those wont be available either. its too hard to ride uphill with a daypack, then lock up or hide the bikes, hike a trail, and repeat on the way down. so it was a nice ride and learned a lot.

I know what you mean about shoes. Ive been happy with Brooks but shoe styles can switch on a dime. a brand that is great today might not be next year etc. I need a soft flexible shoe without any stiffness to it. so I always expect to try before buying.

cathy thats a lot to adjust to. DH and I have been lucky to stay healthy and in decent shape so we can still do what we originally enjoyed together. totally right carolyn, time can change everything. it always is hard to understand though, why some "totally outdoors" guy marries a woman who wants no part of outside and wants to stay inside and write novels. how come they're together? DH and I have been lucky and we also work at it.

I dont like DH walking around me when I'm working out indoors either. too distracting.

without getting too political here, I recommend watching the house hearings if you can. we have watched every one and they are fascinating and full of information. presented in an organized and fairly easy to follow format with clear language and facts. do them in order to best follow the story line and people.

Valerie, I have been wearing Brooks Ghost for a while, but the last pair fits differently although they are same style. They changed them slightly and it’s just enough to change how they work for me.

The weather didn't cooperate for me to run this morning so I decided to catch up on strength work. I did 4 DS KB Warmup, then the Lower Body weight work and part of 4 DS Biceps & Triceps. I added on MM Shoulders and Icy Core 1. I also did a 30 minute Peloton ride this evening.

Carolyn- Great job with P30 Perfect Pump Upper Body + the Extended Stretch and the Chair Cardio workout. Good idea to take a rest day today.

Valerie-Hokas have been a really game changer for me. I wish they had been around 28 years ago when I started long distance running. I think I would have done much better and had less injuries. Diane Sue is right; it depends on what your feet need. I do so much walking at Home Depot and Hokas have been really good for that. They have trail shoes and hiking boots too I believe.

Diane Sue-Great job with Raw Boxing & Legs, JS Yoga and CDorner Step Intermediate. I’m with you on not liking other people in the room when I workout. The times that we had family staying over I would just run or go to the gym, I wouldn’t have worked out at home when they were there.

Cathy-Great job with Cardio Metabolic Sweat. That sounds like a good one. It is rare for Cathe to do floor cardio without jumping jacks.

Today I did CDorner All Standing no Equipment Upper Body, 18:35 minutes, 55 calories, heart rate 92/127. This is endurance and your arms are up a good part of the time. I then did CDorner Step workout with weights, heart rate 104/123, 37 minutes ( I realized I had it on strength and switched to cardio so 4 minutes longer than original as I started over) she uses 8# dumbbells and I used 8 and 5#. 129 calories.
Total time 55 minutes, 184 calories. This was not really a step workout, but more a strength workout. You hold the dumbbells the entire workout. She had you using the step while doing arm work or lunging on and off the step or doing curtsy lunges. It was different.

Valerie, I am not one to love travelling myself. My husband likes to get away occasionally though, so we go. No separate anything here we share in activities. Some may be me sitting watching as I am not going to do parasailing or cliff diving like he would. I am not much of a swimmer. We don't travel like we used to though. I loathe airports and that sort of thing. We have talked about a cruise, but I know I have had motion sickness when we took a yacht cruise in the gulf once. Not a fan of spending a vacation sick. We have been talking about something for our fiftieth anniversary. Not sure yet. So much going on now that could go wrong. My daughter's experience with flights was not so good for their trip to Hawaii. They got to the airport to leave and they waited hours and their flight was cancelled due to something needing fixed on the plane according to the airlines. They did manage to get a flight a day later though. They ended up staying a day later. I think health and aging change things sometimes, so there is that aspect of things. You and your husband are lucky that you have your health and ability to still be really active.

Carolyn, you were probably wise to take a rest day for your leg. When we have company staying I am like you and get up early to do a quick workout, or I just skip the workout. I enjoy my workouts by myself. The same thing happened to me with Reebok Crossfit Nano shoes. I had two pair I liked and the last pair felt like less toe room and not the same cushioning. So, I did New Balance and they are too narrow and I go back to wearing a cheaper pair of Reebok shoes that are older. I need to get new shoes myself. I have issues with my feet and knees swelling, so the shoes need room and my jeans cannot be tight around my knees. Aging joints are not fun. After having those two incidences where my caught and I could not get up off of the floor, till I figured out to snap the the joint back in place, I keep my high step with a couple of risers on it to back up onto to help me get up without turning my knees to the side to get up. I read that that can happen if there is a piece of bone or arthritis loose that floats into the joint. Hoping that was not it. It hurt.

Cathy, I wish Cathe did not do so many overhead presses when she does metabolic workouts. I would like them better if she didn't. It is so easy to mess up a joint. I have hurt the neck and shoulders other times before surgery with those huge packs of water, just dumping them in the cart and trunk of the car.
My parents did not always have money for our vacation trips and often took sleeping bags and the camp stove and we slept in parks on the way across the country to visit relatives. Sometimes just for fun as we would head for the desert and do some rock climbing when we lived in AZ. Ha, I remember dumping a scorpion out of the sleeping bag. I did not get stung that time. They would pick up fruit at fruit and vegetable stands along the way for snacking. Great memories for me. Not sure I would want to do it now. I like a restroom and a shower.

Judy, I am sorry that the weather did not cooperate for you to run today. You have done some great workouts. My husband said there was rain a couple of nights ago here. I would not have known it as it has been pretty hot and dry.

that is so annoying with shoes... you order a second pair of the same band, model and size and they suddenly don't fit the same. makes you wonder about quality control but the country of origin changes all the time and then there are knock offs that look like the original but arent. I will look at hokas for trail shoes or hiking boots since it sounds like they have more cushioning. I have what are called low volume feet and its a battle to get something that fits close enough to stay in place but not too wide to rub and cause blisters. I routinely buy superfeet inserts and put them into many of my shoes and boots. getting old is sure a challenge!

Im sure my parents didnt have money for big vacations but it would have been nice to even do day trips. my mother was not a good sport and made a big deal about everything, even the slightest inconvenience was a big deal. . when they were older I took them to outdoor places and they did fine and I'm know they regretted not doing it when they were younger. you can go to a lovely location and walk for a mile instead of doing 10 miles and still enjoy a national park. no work around for motion sickness! I tried everything and forget it. I dont enjoy flying. it used to be fun now it's a drudge at best. I am trying to picture my mother dumping a scorpion out of a sleeping bag and it is too funny. Im sure she never used a sleeping bag to begin with!.

This morning I did Cardio Quick Fix, workout one, which was 26 minutes and 170 calories burned. My average heart rate was 131 and maximum heart rate was 157. I had the chair close by and used it for a couple of the movements. Then I did Step Boss Extended Chair Stretch for 16 minutes.

Judy, great workouts the last two days. I’m sorry that the weather didn’t allow you to run, but nice pivot to weight work. Great job with 4DS KB warm up and Lower Body weights and Biceps and Triceps, MM Shoulders and Icy Core 1, and a Peloton 30 minute ride.

Diane Sue, great job with CDorner All Standing no equipment Upper Body and Step with weights.

Waving hello to Valerie and Cathy.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.