Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 6/21

good morning. thought were going to ride this morning but its raining. not hard but enough to make it unpleasant. never learned to be happy riding in rain. mountain biking is not too bad if its a little wet, but road riding is faster and pavement can get slippery. so something else will be on the agenda.

Good Afternoon. This is my rest day, but I did a short yoga to loosen up this morning. I did Jane Adams Gentle Yoga, Morning Energy practice. That was 18 minutes and 44 calories burned.

I’m cooking my husband’s food choices for Father’s Day. That means meat, potatoes, and something chocolate :).

Hello to Everyone and wishing you a wonderful afternoon.

Hello,

Today I did LIVE Metabolic 300, 48 minutes, 290 calories. Not a blip, stutter or buffer in the streaming today. I turned off the "location" thing on my phone and had perfect streaming today. mmmm....this got me wondering if this was the problem. I recently ( few months ago) turned it on because my FitBit was not synching and they said to have better synching, make sure your location is turned on. So I did. This would be great if this is the issue.

Valerie, glad you are feeling better after that shot. yep, sleep is one of the things that you lose with age. I also thought that I would get up more during the night once I started drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day ( for UTI). I was in the beginning, but it has tapered off and is basically what it was before I drank all the water.

Carolyn, great job on Ripped Low Impact HIIT one. I plan on doing #2 tomorrow. Can you come over and cook for John? LOL...he loves meat, potatoes and especially chocolate. The dogs gave him pecan turtles for Father's Day.

Diane Sue, what's a "Gizmo" watch? 33 floors??? that has to be a record!!

Cathy, I really like the Pyramid Pump DVD. I also could not do the complete workout, but the premixes are really good, and like you said, better than searching all the other DVD's in the series to make up a pyramid workout. That is so cute, making his own zoo at 3. Save your knees! not worth it to say you use more risers etc. LOL on the 50-60 stairs a day from your yard!

Hi to Judy, Christina, & Lori

Take care,

Today was a rest day. The family and a boyfriend came for our family grilling and cake birthday/father's day. When they all left we went to get some things my husband needed for work and were going to go get dinner. My daughter in law and granddaughter were walking into the store when we were going out and we invited them and her husband and son to dinner with us. We visited a long time in the restaurant. It was nice visiting with them without the whole crowd. I love them all, but it is like when you have one on one time with a child or grandchild over the whole group. I hope I make sense.
I need to go take something to UPS tomorrow and get gas as 7 eleven had bags on their gas pumps when I tried Friday. I will "try" to get going earlier on my workout. None today and I ate things I normally do not eat. Like pineapple upside down cupcake, jalapeno kettle chips, and more chips. Then a big southwestern type salad. Needless to say I will need the workout tomorrow so I don't feel so yucky.

I had a rest day today. Went to church and then grilled burgers and giant hot dogs my daughter bought from Sams with lots of chips. My son and granddaughter made pineapple upside down cake cupcakes and yellow cupcakes decorated. They bought pineapple themed candles, napkins, plates etc. It was their birthdays today as well as fathers day. Later we ran into my daughter in law and granddaughter when we were coming out of a store as they were coming in and we invited their family to dinner with us at Interurban. We had a really nice visit. It was good to spend some time with just their family. I love them all, but it is nice to visit without the whole group once in awhile. I always find myself trying to keep up with multiple conversations going on around me. I also ate too much and loads of chips are left behind. I was not hungry when we went to dinner, but ended up eating a whole big salad with grilled chicken on it. I will need my workout in tomorrow.

Deb, here is a Gizmo Watch -https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gizmo+watch&crid=1NXE6LBQ9NS5I&sprefix=GIzmo+%2Caps%2C173&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_6
he can talk text in different voices which he thinks is fun as well as call and talk to me. It keeps him accountable for his steps during the day. I think that was the most floors I have done. I did get way up there when my 5 year old grandson was younger and had me running up and down the stairs all day when I watched him. That was so nice of the dogs to get your husband pecan turtles for father's day :) My Fitbit Blaze was always telling me I needed to turn on location services. I turned it off a lot. I don't know why they need your location to count your calories and step etc.. I have to turn Bluetooth off my tablet when syncing things from phone and watch. I was having problems before and would take all my other watches and devices downstairs so they were not close to the one running and sometimes it helped, but that should not happen.

Valerie, I would think trying to ride bikes in the rain and mud could be difficult.

Carolyn, my husband is the same way and even when I have family for dinner, I try to make it according to his tastes. So burgers, hot dogs and chips were it.

Woke up yesterday at 4:45 and said to heck with it and stayed up. Did Step Blast, well until about halfway through the third combo. Sputtered and died and I attribute that much more to having oatmeal for breakfast than lack of sleep. I totally forgot when I had it that it was a cardio day. I have to eat light on those days and then I have lots of energy. Last night by 9 I was yawning like crazy, and as soon as I laid down...bam...on goes the brain and it will NOT shut up. And this morning, again woke up around 5. Ugh. I actually like getting up early, but not when I don't fall asleep until after midnight. Derek and I have timed tickets for the zoo in Lansing today. Rhino's have been his fave animal since he was little and they had a baby last winter. All he's wanted was to see the baby and they've have finally opened back up. He finally graduates Saturday, they are doing 12 kids at a time, and his senior year got totally messed up, with the worst being we didn't get to do our spring break trip which would have been 5 zoos in 5 days. We were going down to TN for some this time. Last year we did 6 in 6 days, and by the last couple days we were both sore and dragging, but we did it.

Carolyn, great you got some yoga in. I'm looking forward to the 2 yoga videos in Cathe's next series. I like doing yoga, but I also get bored doing it. Keep saying I'm going to do more.

Valerie, sorry the rain messed with your ride. We had torrential rain here for a bit, we needed it so much that the ground soaked it all up. Do you prefer mountain biking or road biking? I used to ride. On weekends, I could ride the roads to the south and rarely meet a car, but dogs got to be too much of an issue, so I stopped.

Diane Sue, sounds like you had some great family time yesterday!

Deb, great that you were able to get your workout without an issue, and hopefully that does solve your problem.

I think no workout for me today. I thought last night that I'd do the lower body workout on my schedule this afternoon, but I'm already tired, so that's probably a non starter.

Hope you all have a great day!

Good morning,

Today I did Ripped W/HIIT: Low Impact HIIT #2, 31 minutes, 200 calories.

Diane Sue, that is nice that you had that time with your family, and especially the smaller get together at the restaurant. We have not yet been in a restaurant, any type, patio or inside. I am still a little leery about it. I don't know either why FitBit needs a location. Maybe they are in some sort of "agreement" with Apple and Android? I found out that Google and Apple added a COVID 19 tracker app to our phones ( without permission). It was part of an update on June 7th. They have not activated them yet, but are dependent on your location being on I gather. Scary stuff. John had ribs for his Father's Day dinner.

Cathy, 5 zoos in 5 days is amazing! I may have missed this, what is your son doing after graduation? I feel like you do on eating before working out. I never eat before any workout. Up between 4-5 am, workout around 7. No matter what time I fall asleep, I am up at the same hour.

Waving hello to everyone,

Take care,

Good morning. Ended up doing serious garden work yesterday It drizzled on and off. Things get jungle-like by mid June plus a bought a few small flowers and had to plant them. It’s a workout with shovel rake and pulling weeds.

Cathy mountain biking is my favorite of the two My hands and wrists are getting arthritic and road riding bothers them more. I carry bear spray on most rides. If it works on a grizzly ....it will work on an unleashed dog. I have used it. It works but be sure which way the wind is blowing because a whiff of it is REALLY terrible! I would not use this without serious need. Biggest risk with dogs is lost balance, getting knocked over or veering into traffic. We pick our rides carefully for traffic, dogs. 99% of the time it’s fine. we are armed and will spray a threat. Bear spray is like "Halt" that post office uses but a big can and sprays 30 feet. I carry it mt biking too. It will stop any attacker in their tracks. we ride in mountains, a cougar attack is always possible. many mt bikers have been chased and attacked by cougars. I'm not paranoid... danger is not huge. would rather have it and never need it than the other way around. I use the bottle cage to keep it accessible. most bikes can hold 2 cages on the frame. one for water the other for spray. I have been threatened by dogs many times, but never fell or bitten. most dogs bark and run to edge of property and stop. a few keep coming. so somewhat for peace of mind.

without looking at my phone I cant be positive, but if you go to settings ( iphones) you can go thru your apps and turn on location only when you are using that app. no reason to have it tracking your every step. sometimes location is necessary but mostly not.

restaurants here are mostly not open except for take out. to me that is high risk situation and I will delay that. places that relaxed restrictions are getting huge jumps in virus , like Phoenix, texas, southeast in general. not doing that yet!
I used to love going to zoos. not done that in ages. Yellowstone area is now my "zoo".

Last edited:
Today I did Fit Tower Advanced Bootcamp for 49 minutes and 279 calories burned. I’m sure that I will feel it in my legs tomorrow. It’s been a while since I have done any barre type moves.

Deb, great job with Live Metabolic 300 yesterday and REH Low Impact HiiT Two. I cooked barbecued bison short ribs and chicken for me. My husband enjoyed it, but I didn’t really want red meat. The grass fed bison is much leaner than regular short ribs.

Diane Sue, it sounds like you had a great family day. A bit of over indulgence occasionally is fine in my view.

Cathy, Step Blast is a fun workout. I think the music on the older workouts add to the enjoyment. It’s hard to work out when you don’t have enough sleep. I feel very lethargic if I don’t get a least 7 hours. I try to work in yoga on a regular basis, but it’s usually something in the 20-30 minute range.

Valerie, I bet it was nice to get the gardening done. That’s a good task when the weather isn’t the greatest.

Hello to Lori, Christina, and Judy.

Did a road ride this morning 2 hrs 15 min. really nice. Mondays are busier than weekends but traffic still OK. we haven't ridden in a month and amazing how different all the fields look. all growing vigorously. Carolyn, I always get sore from barre workouts. different emphasis for sure. yes, we feel good about the garden right now. it's never all "done" always room for more work but that's it for a few days at least.

got some local strawberries on the way back from the ride. OMG they are good! I love strawberries.

diane sue I agree with Carolyn. gotta let loose and indulge a little sometimes. not all the time but sometimes

Today I did Cathe Live Double Cardio Hiit Compound. That was a very good one — just my speed, not too long, lots of variety. I am getting over a VERY big birthday meal yesterday. My (very dear and wonderful!) in-laws came down from Iowa and cooked a lasagne, bread, salad, coffee cake, and lemon-blueberry cake for my official PENTAGENARIAN birthday! It was such a nice chance to sit out in the garden and visit. But I will admit that I ate about three days’ worth of food and was absolutely comatose afterwards :)

Deb - Woo hoo, I hope you found the solution to your streaming problems - that would be great.

Diane - I am so glad you got some one-on-one time with your family; it’s such a treat, especially these days. Pineapple upside down cake sounds amazing!

Cathy - Lol I have fizzled out mid-workout before too! I hear you about trying to work out when you’ve got something heavy in your stomach: it definitely slows you down. I just finished a hiit workout after lunch of delicious but HEAVY Italian sausage lasagne and boy do I feel every ounce of it just sitting there :) I hope you have a wonderful time at the zoo!

Carolyn - Yoga sounds delightful. I looked up Gentle Yoga and I am going to stream some of her videos on Amazon. Thanks for the introduction to a new teacher!

Valerie - I just love hearing about your outdoor adventures. You are inspiring me to get a bike and try some of the trails near us. We have recently moved to Kansas, so I guess I will not have the excuse of hills making it too hard. I am glad you got some gardening done; I bet it was lovely to be outside on a gently drizzly sort of day.

Hi to everyone - have a wonderful day!

Today I had so much to get out and do and slept late as I woke at 4 am and spent a couple of hours trying to go back to sleep till I finally succeeded. I just did Lite Pyramid Pump timesaver Pyramid Up which is still long, but not 80 minutes plus writing the weights down. This was 74 minutes with stopping to write and at one point I had to make some adjustments. heart rate 95/154, 161 calories (Fitbit just does not give me much for workouts that are not jumping or running all over the place) 1200 steps. I went higher on almost everything except shoulders.
Lower Body
rear slide lunges 12,10,8 reps 8,12,15# dumbbells
step ups (high step 3 risers) 12,10,8 reps 8,12,15 # dumbbells (wasn't sure how my knees would feel at first)
side slide lunges 12,10,8 reps 10,12,15# dumbbell
elevated lunges (high step 1 riser) 12,10,8 reps 10,12,15# dumbbells
sliding cross back lunges 12,10,8 reps 10,12,15# dumbbells
deadlifts 12,10,8 reps 12,15,20# dumbbells
calf raises 30,25,20 reps 12,15,20# dumbbbells
Upper Body
back supersets
pullover on stability ball 12,10,8 reps 10,12,15 # dumbbells superset with
standing single arm back fly 12,10,8 reps 8,10,10 # dumbbell
Chest supersets
chest fly on the ball 12,10,8 reps 8, 10,12 # dumbbells superset with
incline press on ball 12,10,8 reps 10,10,12 # dumbbells
Triceps supersets
standing kickbacks 12,10,8 reps 8,10,12 # dumbbells superset with
lying on stability ball 12,10,8 reps 10,12,15# dumbbells
Biceps supersets
standing sweeper curls 12,10,8 reps 10,12,15# dumbbells superset with
incline curls on the ball 12,10,8 reps 10,12,15# dumbbells
Shoulders supersets
overhead press 12,10,8 reps 5,8,10# dumbbells superset with
incline front raise 12,10,8 reps superset with 3,5,8 # dumbbells

Cathe, that is great that your son finally gets to have a graduation ceremony. Many just missed having one. Nice that you get to go to the zoo and see the baby rhino. 5 zoos in 5 days would be lots of walking :) Fun though. Your sleep sounds like mine. I didn't get up though. I just laid there and all of the things that were bothering me came up in my mind and my anxieties came to the front. Funny how things seem so futile and worrisome in the middle of the night. I lay there and pray that God will help me get my mind on something positive and away from things I cannot fix. I am not very productive after a bad night sleep and several in the row leaves me pretty useless. Just drag through what needs to be done. Step Blast was quite an undertaking with lack of rest. I usually have coffee in the morning and rarely eat in the morning. I tried some oatmeal cups from Bobs Red Mill for awhile, but let that go. Today I had a few grapes after my workout at noon and went out to run errands. I ate at 2:30 this afternoon. I generally always have a long fast before I eat. But, I eat quite a lot between the first meal and the last meal for the day.

Deb, we have been to this same restaurant several times since things started opening up. This time, the waitresses did not have on masks. Still table spacing and not salt and pepper on the tables. They gave us plastic menus again. Last time they were paper ones. I think I remember being asked on one of my health apps to join a covid study and I declined. May have been the one from my scale (Healthmate) I have been asked to join a couple of studies. Another was for something to do with a sleep study. I don't want someone monitoring my cell phone and fitbit. My trust of them with my info and covid is nil. I think I would be looking for another device or definitely block location services. Then it would probably not work. Google has too much information already. Bill wanted ribs for his dinner at the restaurant and they still have not put them back onto the menu. I am really unsure what covid has to do with limiting the items on the menus. I would think maybe because of lack of demand for the items? But, I heard on the news that that is the excuse for McDonalds getting rid of salads off theirs. They also made jokes about no one wanting salad anyway. They did not seem to lose business around here. If anything, those who don't cook went there more because only a few fast food restaurants were open for awhile. They still have not put back the salads even though things have opened back up.

Valerie, it rained here last night again. My back yard is a mudhole since I did not add more grass and used weed and feed so now the weeds are gone. Not much work out there except clean up and I doubt planting seed now is a good idea and I would need to do something with the soil. I told the dog when we were out there earlier that it felt like Houston outside. So humid.

Carolyn, nice work with Fit Tower Bootcamp. That is the one I think I have used the most often. I thought about doing the Total Body one which is somewhat heavier lifting. The only thought was the pull ups and some moves that may be a problem with the shoulders. So I went back to the original plan. I have not tried bison ribs. I have bought roasts before. Cooking them is a bit of a learning thing as cooking too much leaves them tough because they are so lean. I don't like half cooked meat. Mine needs to be well done. I do wonder how it would work in an instant pot. Do the ribs have a lot of meat on them? I don't mind the indulgence so much as how it makes me feel afterward. I

Christina, happy birthday. That is so nice of your in laws to visit and bring you a yummy birthday dinner. Lemon blueberry cake sounds yummy. Kansas always seemed like miles of flatness when we would take trips to Nebraska from Oklahoma. Or even when I was a child living in Colorado and going to NE. I have a great aunt and her family that have lived in Kansas as long as I can remember. I always figured somewhere there might be hills at least. Oklahoma can look flat in some areas, but they do have areas that are hilly.

I made Judy's ( thank you again for posting it) salmon recipe again tonight. it is so good! and so easy. I bought 2 big fillets of Alaska sockeye at Costco two days ago. made one tonight and froze the rest. it was so soft and buttery, just delicious.

I have to eat before I work out. I am very hungry in the morning. yogurt and fruit fills me up but doesn't seem heavy and I can do a ride or a hike without a problem. I would not get far if I didn't eat first. or not happily .

I wonder how many restaurants will be left after such a long down time. nothing open here yet except for take out. I understand the need for these measures but that doesn't help the businesses that wont survive. the only thing I order in restaurants is salads so I will be out of luck if the same " no salad" pattern occurs here. I usually get some version of a main dish salad with chicken, Mexican or Asian.

I forgot to say that on our ride this morning, the potato fields were starting to bloom. they are amazingly pretty and smell sweet and wonderful. huge fields of green plants and white or pink flowers depending on color of the potato.

Christina that sounds like a lovely meal. love lemon/blueberry together, and also love pineapple upside down cake. I haven't had real dessert in a while!

If you want to find out about hills get a bicycle. you may be surprised to find the "flats" are not as flat as you think, or that a good headwind is just as tough, maybe tougher than a big hill. its so easy in a car to not notice things that you will be made aware of in about 5 minutes if you are walking or riding. I learned this the obvious way but have to keep re learning it.

Good morning ladies!

I worked out yesterday with a sculpt/bounce and that was my only workout since Saturday. Been a crazy couple of days, packing, trashing, lifting and organizing. I have been going up and down the basement stairs a million times. I feel I had plenty of exercise! Wow moving is a lot of work.

Things are moving along. We have narrowed down where we want to rent a condo/apartment and will be speaking with a realtor to help us locate one. So glad they help with rental property.

Deb...that would be great if turning off the location helps things. Fingers crossed! Aww the dogs gave John a gift. Soooo sweet. :)

Valerie...I have made Judy’s salmon recipe too..and yes thank you Judy!! :). We just heard yesterday that our favorite Chinese restaurant will be closing its doors for good. We are really sad about this. They had the best. We do not eat it very often so when I do splurge I want to love it. There is no other chinese resturant in this area that I care for. Yes many more restaurants will close their doors. Very sad. The potato fields sound lovely.

Diane Sue...good for you going to a restaurant...we are not ready ready. I am fine with outside seating, but Bob is not. He is at a high risk so I completely understand him. Not sure if he ever will be ready. We are very uncomfortable with the thought of moving, especially to Florida. But it is happening, just bad timing.

Carolyn....yes it has been a while since I did a Cathe workout. After seeing you did a FT workout it reminded me how much I loved all the FT‘s and the Live ones. Going to see if I can fit one in more often. Chances are I will be leaving my fit tower behind until we actually buy a place. I loved your husbands food choices! My husband wanted takeout from his favorite Japanese Restaurant. We were packing all day so it was take out and he was very happy. :)

Christina..HAPPY 50th!!! Great excuse to eat too much!!!

Cathy...funny before covid I worked out at 5am. I would have a cup of black coffee and was good to go. Now I work out around 10am and need to eat prior. I bet a baby rhino is very cute and not so little!

Hi to Judy and a great day to all!

Hi Everyone,

Sunday I did a 45 minute Peloton ride and yesterday I did KCM Cardio Pump, workout 2 (all strength).
I have a hair appointment tomorrow, my first since March 10th.
Home Depot is requiring all employees to wear a mask at all times while at work. You can only take it off for eating or drinking in the break room. While I completely understand and agree, it's very unpleasant to wear one for several hours, especially in hot weather. Also, they aren't requiring customers to wear them and I am very concerned about that. I am thinking of going back out on leave for the rest of the year or longer. I don't want to just quit as I really did enjoy working there and being around people before Covid-19. The cases have gone down a lot here but I think I went back to work a little too early for my comfort level.

Deb-Great job with Low Impact Hiit 2! I'm with you and Lori, we aren't ready to eat in a restaurant yet. We haven't even gotten takeout since all this started.

Diane Sue-Nice job with Pyramid Pump! I need to do that one again soon. I'm surprised that the waitresses weren't wearing masks. I have a feeling retail and restaurant workers will be wearing masks indefinitely in Michigan.

Lori-That is too bad about your favorite restaurant closing. It sounds like you have been getting a lot of exercise getting ready to move. That is a lot of work! We are on the same workout schedule. I rarely start a workout before 10 am now.

Valerie-Thanks for mentioning the salmon recipe! I need to make that again. We usually get the sockeye salmon from Costco too. Chris has been getting our bikes ready so we can get some riding in this summer. I am really looking forward to riding outside again. You are right about hills and headwinds!

Carolyn-Great job with Fit Tower Bootcamp! That's one that I haven't tried yet. I really need to start doing the Fit Tower workouts again.

Christina-Happy belated birthday!

Cathy-I prefer not to eat before a workout too.

Have a great week!

Judy

This morning I did Ellen Barrett’s Peace, Love, and Cardio for 30 minutes and 156 calories burned. My average heart rate was 117 and maximum heart rate was 147. The workout is a mixture of yoga/pilates, dance conditioning, and walking. Then I did Jane Adams Gentle Yoga, the Evening Relaxation practice for an additional 29 minutes and 33 calories. I‘ve been doing the June rotation, but I felt like something different today.

Diane Sue, nice job with Pyramid Pump up only premix. That’s a good way to do that workout. I cooked the short ribs in the slow cooker for 7 hours and finished them in the oven instead of the grill. I followed a recipe from Wild Idea Buffalo, which is where I ordered the meat. I had only cooked ground bison before my last order. You have to be careful not to cook the steaks and burgers on too high a temperature and to not overcook.

Christina, Live Double Cardio HiiT Compound sounds like a fun workout. Happy birthday! That’s great that your in-laws came to celebrate with you. Jane Adams Gentle Yoga is something that I bought for my husband to try, but I discovered that I really enjoy doing it myself.

Lori, packing and preparing for a move is a lot of work. It must be exciting to take this big step.

Judy, nice job with the Peloton ride and KCM Cardio Pump. I can understand your unease with being around customers who don’t wear masks. There is still so much that is unknown about this virus, but people want to pretend that it’s gone away. An extended leave is something to consider.

Hello to Deb and Cathy. Have a wonderful day everyone.

I did ICE Chiseled Lower Body Blast this morning. I hadn't done that one before. I like workouts that move quickly as time passes faster. I did modify some thing, and I've learned to use a sliding disc for some things as I work out on carpet and twisting on carpet is not knee friendly.

Finally got a decent night's sleep, though I did wake up at 5:30. Nick moved his bed to the basement years ago, not so much because he was tired of sharing with his brother, but because we had a kitten shut in their room every night and it drove him nuts. :) Anyway, it's mostly one big room down there, so all the exercise equipment is in that area. Once he's back at college, I can workout as early as I want.

Deb, Derek is planning to major in zoology, and minor in photography and Spanish. Ultimately, he'd like to do research in the wild. Or just spend his life traveling and taking photos. I enjoyed the Low Impact Hiit workouts. Short and you get a great workout.

Valerie, Glad you were able to get a good ride in. Local strawberries-YUM! I never got bit, but my husband got bit by a dog that had chased me a week earlier. We tried to contact animal control, but the house is on a county line and was in a different country from us. Our county told us we had to contact the other one, but the number we had never got us anywhere. It was about then, that I just quit riding. If we had bike trails closer to us, I'd do that, but nothing decent for quite a ways. OMG biking on hills, back in the late 80's, when I was much younger, I decided to do this crazy 25 mile ride in St. Ignace that included going over and back on the Mackinac Bridge. For starters, I'd never explored the area around St. Ignace and I had this crazy idea that the bridge had a flat spot in the middle. Ride started on the St. Ignace end of the bridge and it was quite windy (they almost didn't let us go), and we started out on the fairly flat end, and started up, and up and up, all the way to the middle. Then we're all thinking cool, it's all downhill, but NO, the wind was in our face and we had to pedal downhill. Get off in Mackinaw City and turn around for the ride back, and damned in the wind wasn't in our faced AGAIN, get to the middle and we still don't get to coast down. Get back to St. Ignace and there is still 15 miles to go. That's when I discover just how hilly the area around St. Ignace is. :eek: There was one dirt downhill, that I sure as heck got to coast down, or rather creep down, because I'd never had to go down anything close to that long or that steep. I survived, but I also never did anything like it again!

Carolyn, how are the legs today! I liked the Fit Tower workouts, but haven't done them in a long time.

Diane Sue, that sounds like a great workout! Now I'll have to keep that one on my wish list. LOL

Lori, moving and all it involves can be a workout in itself! We rarely eat out anyway, but my husband is also high risk, so he's only been out a couple times and the rest of us are careful, and either doing outside activities or taking as many precautions as we can.

Judy, it's totally understandable that you wouldn't want to go back to work under those circumstances. Here it's a real mix of places that require masks and those that don't. I shop at a Whole Foods 35 minutes away and do the rest of my shopping in that area, I won't go in my local stores as people around here aren't wearing masks to shop, but where I go Whole Foods is 100% and the other store is 95%.

Made an experiment for lunch. Black bean and lentil soup in my Instant Pot. Had leftover cooked black beans and added green and red lentils, onion and garlic and cumin and a touch of ginger. Turned out really thick and yummy.

We mt biked this morning although it turned out not great. ( Had the last bit of salmon for lunch. yummy.) its weird how messy things get in summer. we had some rain but nothing like spring. this made a total mess of the trails and even parts of the road. my tires got so blocked up with mud I could hardly move! so we did all the uphill, 4 miles worth, and ended up going back down the road because trails had squooshy oozy mud sections that were extremely hard to ride and not fun at all. I semi crashed a few times. lots of horse manure too, just to add to the fun. the mud pushes wheels every which way ! whatever, it was about 8 miles total up and then back down. wont repeat his until it dries out.

Cathy I used to live in Wisconsin, long before I rode a bike seriously. I remember visiting mackinac island and area when I was a kid. I don't remember St Ignace. people in cars have no understanding about hills or wind!

It would be easier and more effective if we had some universal rules to slow the virus spread in areas where it is established. states that opened up too quickly are getting overwhelmed by virus cases now. I don't like wearing a mask but they are effective at stopping virus from spreading casually. many businesses here require masks. costco for one. clearly in bars and restaurants you cant eat/drink with a mask on, so even if the staff is masked, the patrons wont be. a big reason why we have not opened up here. I don't understand how this all became political. well, let me back up and say I CAN understand how this got political but there will not be anything resembling leadership from there. Viruses have no party preference, they are opportunists that take advantage of every chance to spread.
I wear a mask any time I'm shopping, Lowes, Home depot, grocery store. easy and protects somewhat even if not 100%.

we've had several dog confrontations. my dog was bitten. I subdued the attacking dog without getting bitten myself but it was a stressful experience. I pepper sprayed another dog. we've been chased by loose dogs while road riding but got away OK. Need to be careful you can outrun the dog!. I hit a dog once, it ran at me from the side and hit my front wheel. I think he lost part of his nose but I was Ok. we have ridden many thousands of miles so a few things are bound to go wrong occasionally. multiple mt bikers have been attacked by cougars. we must look like deer as we roll along and kitties love to chase things. so we are careful and carry bear spray on the bike frame, not buried in a pack. when we are in MT ...grizzly country and has cougars too.... so we do the same there.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.