Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 5/7/2023

Today I did CDorner Cardio Mash Up Hi/or Low Impact, 44 minutes, heart rate 143/162,239 calories, 3,393 steps. I then started CDorner Arms and Abs with bands, but after 8 minutes, I stopped. I did push ups, rows with extra heavy loop band and side bends with same band) She was moving on to a plank and my ribs are hurting after yesterday so I did not want to make it worse. I burned 32 calories. I then decided to get in some yoga so did Yoga with Adriene Upper Back Love and portions of a couple of other ones that ended up having me in plank again. This was 38 minutes, 41 calories. I am not sure how much I like her workouts. There is a huge variety of yoga stuff. I don't like the breathing stuff and one of the workouts started right out seated on feet kneeling and my knee hurt and toes cramped. I think I will stick with what I was doing before. Chris Kresser mentioned her in one of his e mails and I thought I would give it a try. Total time spent was 90 minutes, 312 calories.

Carolyn, digital recipe books sometimes have drawbacks because Book marking and indexes are not always the greatest for going right to a favorite recipe. I was looking for a particular recipe that I had not made in a long time and had to go through a lot of digital cookbooks to find it. I need to break down to more folders as I have all nutrition and recipe books in one folder. When I got the Instant pot I purchased 8 Instant Pot cookbooks. Some were Keto as my husband was doing Keto. I find Keto pretty heavy on fat and do not use them often. The nice thing about the actual cookbooks is I make notes on recipes if they are really good or changes that I made.
Nice work today on Stacked Sets Upper Body.

Cathy, children can be quite an experience. That was probably difficult to explain. It was a bit cooler here today and rained some. 80 is pretty warm for exercising. It is probably just as well since the workout yesterday hit the glutes well.

I did bi's, triceps and shoulders on my own today. I need to dig some more ferns out of my shade flower bed. They'd completely taken over, and every time I think I've gotten them all more pop up and they grow FAST. Originally since it's very shaded, I had ferns, violets and lily of the valley. Over time, the violets completely jumped ship and are now spread around the yard, which is fine with us. The lily of the valley got pushed along the sidewalk, so there's now just a row of them. I want to get a shade flower mix in there soon. And when we moved in in '97, I planted flowers in the small garden area my parents had and as of the last couple years, the daisy (taking a page from the violets) are no longer in the bed, but there are decent sized patches of them in the yard and on one of the paths. David just mows around them until they are done blooming. Adds to the natural look in the backyard.

I've had the same experience with digital recipes and don't bother anymore. Recipes I use a lot, I put in my chronometer account and then I can just look them up there.

Diane Sue great job with Cardio Mash Up Hi/or Low Impact, upper body work and yoga.

Today I did Stacked Sets Lower Body for 39 minutes and 184 calories burned. Average heart rate was 121 and maximum heart rate was 154. I had planned to run some errands this morning but it started to rain very hard as soon as I left the house. I went to the post office then came home. Everything else can wait.

Diane Sue, nice job with CDorner cardio, part of the Abs and arms, and part of the Yoga with Adrienne. There are so many styles of yoga that I can understand you wanting to do something else.

Cathy, nice job with doing biceps, triceps, and shoulders on your own. Good luck with the gardening.

Hello to Valerie and Judy.

we mountain biked this morning, first time on trails this year. they just opened a couple days ago. roads are open during the winter but not trails. we did about 7 miles. both felt winded and a little out of shape. the trails go downhill faster and have more obstacles but were very dry. it was a good first ride.
I never switched cooking or recipes to digital. use paper and a bankers box with pendaflex folders. I dont want my electronics anywhere near when cooking. I divide into categories. simple and it works for me. I like that its easy to write on the paper to adjust things or make notes.
we are in a stretch of lovely spring weather tho it might get pretty warm sunday and monday so we will switch to road rides.

cathy didnt realize you would have so many ferns. this entire area would be 100% ferns if we didn't yank them out,. their root structure doesn't make that easy. you're right they spread and grow fast and need to be chopped and shoveled out. we transplant them sometimes to areas where they can go crazy. every year we need to chop out the new arrivals. we have a gazillion different kinds. we also have lots of violets and I have one patch of lily of the valley.

even the same style of yoga can vary greatly as done by different people. a lot of the stretching and flexibility work Im doing is yoga based.

Today I did CDorner All Standing Cardio no jumping low impact, 31 minutes, heart rate 144/176, 4,385 steps. I then did CDorner Toned arms with dumbbells, quick, 23 minutes 81 calories, heart rate 104/122, 85 steps. I finished off with a much needed stretch, CDorner Full Body Stretch/static meant for post workout, 31 minutes, 44 calories. Chris holds the stretches for a while. Total time today was 85 minutes, 314 calories, 4,490 steps.

Quick Upper Toned Arms
3 rounds with the 3rd round being 15 sec work and 15 sec iso hold
each exercise is done for 30 seconds
Lateral Raise 8# dbs
front raise 12# db
alternating Arnold press 10# dbs
wide bent over row 10# dbs
alternating twisting biceps curl 10# dbs 12# dbs rnd 2 and 3
side biceps curls 12# dbs dropping to 10# dbs round 2 and 3
right arm overhead triceps extension 8# db
left arm overhead triceps extension 8# db

Cathy, I do not care for trying to keep a plant from taking over everything. Pulling out ferns would be a lot of work. One of our houses had so many different plants growing over each other and vining stuff that climbed up the trees and shrubs that I spent hours trying to pull out and stop from growing. The yard and planters were huge. Then our last house had bamboo trying to take over. I finally got it stopped, but had to dig and cut the roots and put some stump killer on them. Lily of the valley and violets would be nice and the smell is wonderful. I cut my hydrangea back more this year and it seems to be doing wonderfully. Last year I tried trimming like the instructions say for the endless summer variety with old wood and it kept dead areas and just did not grow much. I think I should have trimmed back the rose bushes more than I did as they are 3/4 of the way up the fence. They require a lot of work keeping the thirps off and the dead roses trimmed off. They are loaded with flowers right now. I still have more mulching I need to do.

Carolyn, nice work on Stacked sets lower body today. We are having off and on rain showers here. I did not know there was a tornado warning till it had turned into a tornado watch last night. I guess my husband was monitoring at work though. I was busy trying to get my computer to let me clear cache and history. It did an update and things were not working right. It ended up that I had to go in and allow cookies. Microsoft Edge would not let me log in. Frustrating, but I got it worked out. It took up too much of my evening though.

Valerie, I am glad the fabric bands are working for you and that you like them. I use mine more than the latex ones. The bad thing about relying on digital copies is you never know when you are going to lose it all. My books are in Kindle and if anything goes wrong there I would lose those like I lost my Sony purchased books. I still have some cookbooks in iTunes, but only seem to be able to get them off the really old pads. I typed up some favorite recipes off the iPad to be sure I still have them.
Nice that you got in a good ride on the trails today.

I have done lots of varieties of yoga. Many stretch workouts are yoga moves. Chris of CDorner usually calls hers stretch and mobility because she says when you say yoga some people have an idea of yoga as something they do not want to do. I enjoy a lot of hers as there is some nice background music, and different types of work. Todays was meant to be a good slower more relaxed stretch. She told someone that said they were going to go do another workout and she said not to that type of stretching before a workout. I usually am not fond of the cardio yoga which moves a bit too fast trying to move through balances and lunges and that sort of thing. A nice flow is good though.

Today is a rest day for me and I’m taking care of a few things around the house. I have a pot of beans simmering since that doesn’t require much attention. I had my monthly club meeting this morning.

Valerie, it’s great that you were able to mountain bike.

Diane Sue, great job with CDorner cardio, toned arms, and total body stretch. I agree with CDorner about her reasoning for using the term “stretch” instead of yoga. It’s the same with “walking“ workouts. Walking is something most people can do and it sounds less intimidating than low impact aerobics.

Hello to Cathy and Judy. Have a wonderful day everyone.

This morning I did 30 Minute Hiit Express. I get a really good workout from that one. Derek survived his overnight. It was a maximum size group. 5th graders and they had like 6 extra people there because of training and he's just wondering how in the world two people normally do it on their own. LOL He's doing some animal handling training next week, but the bulk of his hours won't start until schools out and they begin having day camps. Tomorrow is Nick's graduation and he flies home a week from today!

Carolyn Enjoy your rest day.

Diane Sue nice job with All Standing Cardio, arms and stretch.

Valerie great job with the mountain bike ride. If I'd realized all those years ago the extent to which the ferns would take over, I'd have just done the whole thing in violets and lily of the valley. The bed sits between our back porch and garage so we're the only ones that see it. I do love that when I tossed the ones I dug up in the tree line last fall, they are just growing up among the branches we've piled over there from the dirt that was still on them.

Hi Judy!

I did stacked upper body, one set of each of 3 groups of exercises. used close to my former weight level , like 10's instead of 12's. if thi is ok Im going back to normal weights for me. also did x train abs and half an hour of therapy work. wish I felt like it did some good but I don't. plan to road ride something in the morning tomorrow before it gets hot.

cathy I always thought ferns were "delicate". no, these are bulletproof! tough as nails. yes, if you dig them and toss them on the refuse/compost pile, they will take root and beautify it! I swear some need to be pulled out by a pick up truck.

Today I did CDorner Advanced Step from today first part, 23 minutes, heart rate 116/138, 102 calories. I stopped as I was just not feeling the choreography today. I then did CDorner All Standing to the Beat cardio low impact (favorite with fun music) and also added on 12 minutes of All Standing Low Impact Walking workout, 42 minutes, 234 calories, heart rate 138/161. I finished off with Raw Athletic Stretch 2 29 minutes, 29 calories. Total time 94 minutes, 338 calories, 5,844 steps.
My ribs are still sore. I don't get why.

Carolyn, enjoy your rest day today. CDorner has a couple of workouts that have walk in the name. They are really about the same as some of the low impact. She is creative with them as some have some cute sort of dancy stuff blended in with some boxing moves. My favorite today has fun music, on sort of a cowboy flare where you have an arm overhead like you are swinging your hat along while your feet are galloping. I am sure I look pretty silly.

Cathy, good job getting in Hiit Express today. Derek will probably get used to those groups in no time. Congrats to Nick. What is he going to do after graduating?

Valerie, nice work on Stacked Upper Body today. I progressed to 10# dumbbells yesterday for the Arnold presses I did. I am working back up with the shoulders slowly. The only time that I had ferns was in hanging pots.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.