Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 5/7/2023

Up early this morning. Third day in a row and I would love to keep going with that. Fell asleep about 9:15. This was after I got back up to go help Derek find his zoo name tag. LOL Did Dynamic Total Body which I like. Uses weights, two disks and a yoga ball. Then after breakfast I did a Low Impact workout I had put together which has the low impact floor from Intensity and two step routines. At the end I was stretching on my back, and Flopsy was laying beside me staring at my armpit. When I sat back up, a spider ran out! So then she followed it for a bit whacking at it, but it was fine and got to a hiding spot. A fierce hunter she is not. Derek is off to the zoo for orientation, and got to drive in a rain storm.

Yesterday I did the cardio step segments from Cardio and Weights.

Judy I'll have to keep that Total Body Giant Sets workout in mind. I don't think I've done that one. I hope that the prescription helps your sinus/allergy issues.

Valerie I hope the new bands work for you. I like the fabric bands better and uses them as much as possible, but some things they just don't work well for. You certainly can't complain when a product lasts 30 years! I hope the new one works for you. The only old appliance I have is a Braun immersion blender that I bought in the early 80's. Salmon reminds me of my Dad's parents because their splurge meal was canned salmon.

Hi Diane Sue and Carolyn.

we did a hike this morning, 2 hours near water. saw some dolphins but we forgot binoculars. Dumb move. close enough to see without. they aren't out of the water long enough to see much.

my new cuisinart is small. no need for 11- 14 cup bowls, smaller would be better but this is the smallest that's a "real" food processor. I use it a lot. my old one wore out at least 5 bowls over the years. enough DW time makes plastic brittle. I use mine at least once a day. the old one has a citrus attachment, easily squeeze a bag of limes and freeze the juice. I will keep the old one for that. the new one for everything else. it has a dough blade so maybe I can donate my ancient bread machine too. I have a stick blender, use that a lot too. I cook quite a bit. use that for blending things right in the cooking pot. and for eggs.

tee hee canned salmon is just not the same thing! it always had skin and bones in it.... like cat food. I never had salmon until I was an adult in the nw. I'm not a huge seafood fan, no clams, crab, mussels, oysters, most fish. I do like salmon, trout, tilapia.

Today I did my usual yoga for 18:minutes.

Judy, thanks for starting us off this week.

Cathy, three days in a row of waking up early sounds good. Great job with Dynamic Total Body, your low impact cardio, and the cardio section of Cardio and Weights. I had to chuckle at the thought of canned salmon as a splurge!

Valerie, nice job with the ride in your neighborhood and therapy exercises. Your Cuisinart experience sounds like mine. My 10 cup model was over 30 years old and I had replaced the work bowl a couple of times. I finally bought a new one about 4 years ago, but I kept using the old one when I wasn’t doing liquids. It was simpler to clean up. Well last year I had to let the DLC-10 model go. Another piece popped off from the lid and it wouldn‘t lock in place. The motor was still going strong. It was a great machine!

Hello to Diane Sue.

Have a great afternoon everyone.

Did a hike today 2 hours of up and down and saw dolphins. lots of flowers too. did soem stretches after but no therapy today.

my new cuisinart came, but no time to use it. 7 cup, dough blade, slice, shred blades. carolyn I wish cars ran as well as the cuisinart motor did. I would have kept replacing the bowls and stuck with the old one except it was discontinued at least 10 yrs ago. I couldn't find bowls. eventually the plastic parts crack or splinter. I have nothing but praise for that machine and all I used it for. a real workhorse. I had a bigger one before it that didn't hold up as well. I got into trouble using it to knead bread dough, which was too much to ask. I tried unusual breads that were too heavy for it to handle.

today is my colonoscopy prep day. will not be pleasant but its better than the Golytely one. Ive done both.

Last edited:
Today I decided to do IMAX 4 again. I did the premix of first half only which was 28 minutes and 189 calories burned. My average heart rate was 131 and maximum heart rate was 158. The May rotation had IMAX 3 for today, but I was not going to do that one! I really don’t enjoy it and I have never been able to modify the impact enough to make it work for me.

Valerie, nice job with the 2 hour hike and stretching.

Hello to Diane Sue, Judy, and Cathy.

Saturday I did CDorner Fast Basic Step and Abs, 62 minutes, heart rate 112/147, 4255 steps. Yesterday was a rest day. Today I did Kelly Coffey Box Fit #1 Boxing, 34 minutes, heart rate 120/149, 3,354 steps. I then did Box Fit #2 weights, 35 minutes, 109 calories, heart rate 102/124, 442 steps. I had to add #2 together as I had a text and accidentally stopped my Garmin so missed a bit of the biceps work. Total time 69 minutes, 260 calories, 3,778 steps.

Kelly Coffey Box Fit Workout #2 36 minutes, 2 pair dumbbells weightlifting tabata rounds Kelly uses 8's and 12's
3 minute warm up
Back 12# dumbbells
lawn mower 1 arm
Dbl arm row stand palms front
plie 1 and 1/2 dbs Kelly holds to sides first time then second she holds them in front
Repeat

Triceps light dumbbells 8#
single arm overhead extension
dbl arm kickbacks
slalom squats (squat with dumbbells at side tilting side to side)
repeat

Biceps 12# dumbbells
alternating hammer curl
supination curls
front curls
deadlift/squat up
repeat

Shoulders light dumbbells 8#
(no overhead presses in this)
bent over lateral raise alternating
standing lateral raise
upright row 1 up 3 down count
lunge front back right
second rnd does left lunge
repeat

Floor Chest 8# dumbbells all done with hips lifted
Pullovers
Flies
bench press
hip lifts (I used 12's for this)

Abs 1 12# dumbbell
crunches
full sit up
Russian Twists
No weight explosive sit up
repeat
stretch

Got up and did Slide and Glide cardio. Was going to do abs, but my lower back was a tight and I decided not to push it. Derek and I went to my parents today and tomorrow were going to the Toledo Zoo. Leaving an extra 15 minutes early in hopes we can race to the gate ahead of the school groups. Last year we went a few days later than this and there was a crazy number of school kids there. For warned and all that.

My grandparents were born in 1897 and 1905 and were extremely frugal, hence their idea of a splurge.

Valerie that's so cool that you are seeing dolphins. Hope the new cuisinart works well for you. A food processor is just one of those things that I didn't get in to using. Other than my blender, I'm very low tech, but that goes along with my lack of cooking ability. LOL Hope your colonoscopy goes smoothly.

Carolyn nice job with the yoga and IMAX 4.

Diane Sue great job with Fast Basic Step and Abs, and Kelly Coffey Box Fit #1 & #2.

And YAY on STS 2.0 shipping soon!

Tomorrow is my lady group get together so I will not do a workout. It looks like the new dvds will be out soon.

Cathy, I still buy canned salmon occasionally, but I pull out all bones and skin when I use it. I grew up with my mom making salmon patties and frying them. I use it in a salad with spinach and fruit. I hope the zoo trip goes well without lots of school groups there. CDorner uses the fabric bands for a lot of the lower body work, but when she does a step with band she will use the latex type. It rolls up on her and she does not seem bothered by it.

Valerie, I love my Cuisinart Food Processor. I use it all of the time. It sure saves time when slicing potatoes, sweet potatoes and apples. I use it for dough as well. I have had it for about 8 years now. It has a slicer and shredder blade along with the blade and the mixier for doughs. I have always hand washed the parts. My daughter has two and she puts everything in the dishwasher and that makes the parts crack and not fit right. It saves so much time. I buy salmon at least once a month and my husband has started eating it with me.

Carolyn, nice work on the yoga yesterday and today's I Max 4 premix. I think I would be in pain for a while if I did I Max 3. I cannot remember how it is if just doing the combos without the blasts. I used to like doing all of those and the Terminator ones.

I dont use the cuisinart for as many things as I used to. my plain old chef knife skills are quite good so I usually chop/dice manually. shred carrots, zucchini, apples, cheese. i mix dry ingredients in it, and chop regular oatmeal smaller so it becomes instant oats. I used to use one for bread & pizza dough and plan to use this one for that too. I found a million uses for it. a stand mixer is the appliance I skipped owning. I wont hand wash anything but cooking pans and knives. if the plastic parts break down after years I'll pay to replace them. I detest hand washing. I put plastic parts on upper shelf and run short cycles and that's the max I will do.

almost done with my colon prep. it was pretty rough but almost finished.

got the fabric bands and they look very nice and dont roll, so think they will be a big improvement. I didn't do therapy today.

This morning I did Push Pull (Body Bast series) for 52 minutes and 195 calories burned. My average heart rate was 113 and maximum heart rate was 145.

Diane Sue, great job with CDorner Fast Basic Step and Abs, Coffeyfit Box Fit boxing and Box Fit Weights. I‘m sure that you will enjoy your Ladies group. It’s nice to have that to look forward to. I don’t use the Cuisinart as much as I once did since I have the Vitamix. It depends on what end result I want. For instance I make romesco sauce in the food processor because I want it to be a little chunky.

Cathy, great job with Slide and Glide cardio. I hope your visit to the Toledo Zoo is a good one.

Valerie, good luck with the colonoscopy today. When I first got my Cuisinart it was such a novelty that I went through the manual and tried a variety of tasks. I would chop onions and celery, but I soon realized that it was quicker to do it by hand.

Hello to Judy. Have a wonderful day everyone.

I'm done, all is OK. that was my last rodeo with that procedure. wont need another. I had a rough hour or so after because they blow a lot of air into your colon during the procedure and air did not want to leave, but finally did and contionues. I'm tired and hungry. not doing anything significant today. got very little sleep last night, dehydrated and exhausted. had a small peanut butter sandwich, coffee and will let it go at that. I'm not one who could go out for a huge elaborate breakfast. don't mention gatorade to me again for a loooong time.

carolyn I think we are similar cooks. I didnt like onions in the cuisinart. it's as if the onion tissues were beaten up and lost a lot of liquid and wont saute well after. water runs out and they boil rather than brown. I hate hand grating cheese. use it for that. if I need a lot of sliced or grated vegies, like carrots, I use it but for a stalk of celery, not worth it. easier to hand chop. pre- grated cheese doesn't melt well because its treated with something so the shreds dont stick together, so I grate my own. remember that lady Abby Mandel that did all the cuisinart books at first? wonder what happened to her. I got all the blades and attachments and tried everything but settled on some things I like automated. nothing beats a plain old chef knife for minor chopping.
meant to comment on salmon. my mother never used it, ever. I dont know why. she loved tuna and gave a tuna casserole and tuna salad to the point of me never eating it again. my best friends family used salmon a lot so I saw all the strange body parts in the cans and wondered why anyone ate it.

I did some stretching and a limited therapy workout later today while dinner was heating.

Last edited:
My sinus issues seem much better after 5 days of the Z-pack and the steroid. I didn’t work out at all over the weekend. Yesterday I did Live Total Body Giant Sets #2 and today I did 2 Peloton rides, this morning I did a 45 minute Power Zone ride (heart rate avg 143 and max 167) and tonight I did an easy 40 minutes of scenic rides (heart rate around 100-110).

Valerie-That’s great that all was well with your colonoscopy. I’m certainly not looking forward to my next one, probably in 2025, or late 2024.

Cathy-Great job with Dynamic Total Body, your low impact workout, Slide and Glide cardio. Canned salmon reminds me of the salmon patties that my mom used to make.

Carolyn-Great job with your yoga, IMAX 4, and Push Pull from Body Blast.

Diane Sue-Great job with CDorner Fast Basic Step and Abs and Box Fit 1 & 2.

This morning I did KCM’s Cardio Quick Fix workout one for 27 minutes and 193 calories burned. Average heart rate was 132 and maximum heart rate was 172.

Valerie, I’m glad that your procedure went well. Your mention of Cuisinart cookbooks reminded me that I had one. I thought that I got rid of it long ago, but it’s still in a cabinet with other older cookbooks. Nothing in the book looks appealing to me now!

Judy, great job with Live Total Body Giant Sets and the Peloton rides. I’m glad that your sinus infection is improving.

Hello to Cathy and Diane Sue. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Yesterday I did P30 Upper Body before we went to the zoo. Zoo visit started out shaky, and Derek admitted later that younger Derek would have been very upset. Fortunately 21 year old Derek can adjust. LOL Only a couple school groups, and we were among the first in the gate. Went to see the polar bear cubs, not out. The majority of the zoo is on the other side of a road, so we didn't get back there until the very last thing and they finally came out. But, he had planned to focus on one specific area for a YouTube tour, and it was almost completely shut down for construction work. But, the rest of the zoo visit actually went really well, saw some cool animal activity, and he picked a different area to focus on. Frankly, I do not miss young Derek at zoos, because reality didn't always mesh with the image in his head :p

This morning I did P30 Lower Body and then after breakfast I was doing the IMA 3 combos and half way through the internet started freezing up. Been having the issue for a couple days and I hope it rectifies itself soon. So, I stopped at that point. Could have changed to the DVD, but it would have taken a few minutes and I don't like to do that with cardio workouts. Non-cardio I would have.

Valerie hope today goes okay for you. I think you'll like the fabric bands.

Carolyn nice job with Push Pull (I always liked that one) and Cardio Quick Fix.

Diane Sue the IMAX 3 combos are fun and while there's some impact in it, I find it pretty minimal.

Judy glad you are feeling better. Great job with Live Total Body Giant Sets #2 and the Peloton rides.

Cathy, I tried the fabric bands and they work MUCH better than the latex ones. I like those exercises so for $15 I have 3 nice fabric bands to use. light medium and heavy. used the light to start. they stay in place and provide better resistance and don't roll up. I havent been to a zoo in ages. not convenient here. I used to like it a lot.

we xc skied this morning, 3 hours,. I have a hair cut this afternoon so we stopped early. lots of snow left especially if we drive to a higher road to start from. I fluffed back up after a nice dinner last night and good sleep.

Judy they are very rigid here on the protocol for endoscopy/colonoscopy. a lady came in an Uber and DH listened while she argued with reception about getting her procedure done even though she didn't have a driver to accompany her and wait during the procedure. they told her she would have to do ity without anesthesia. it is in bold print xxx times and is told to you verbally. no way she could not know what requirements are. maybe it's different elsewhere. I was in no condition to drive yesterday after I was done. they had to give me extra fentanyl after the propofil. I was blown up like a pinata from all the air. my colon is troublesome for this kind of procedure. hope thats not TMI. results were fine but glad I'm done.

Today I did CDorner Legs and Glutes with Dumbbells and Bands from this morning, 47 minutes, 98 calories, heart rate 87/124, 848 steps. I followed this with CDorner Stretch after Step, 17 minutes, 25 calories, and decided to go ahead and do Raw Ab Circuits, 17 minutes, 40 calories. Not cardio today. I just was not feeling cardio this morning. Total time was 81 minutes, 163 calories. I don't think that burn seems right.

Legs and Glutes
uses a favric band and dumbbells 45 seconds each move

Banded suitcase squats 15# dbs
side to side squat 15# db
repeat 4 rnds

hang squats 20# dbs and band (option to leave off band but I used it)
glute bridge 20# db
3 rnds

1 leg deadlift and I used the staggered stance option rather than balance) 20# dbs
low angle lunges 15# dbs
repeat on left side

no weight
bridge single leg lift up working inner thigh
bridge on hands toe out/up cross/down
side hip down or off the floor inner thigh lift
repeat on left side

ended with a 1 minute bonus on each side of deadlift/ angled lunge

stretch

Judy, I am glad your sinus problems are better after 5 days of meds. Nice work with Total Body Giant sets and the two peloton rides.

Carolyn, nice work on Kelly's Cardio Quick Fix. I only get out a cookbook once in a while. Most of my later cookbooks are purchased and in my Kindle App. Takes up a lot less room. I have old books like Clean Eating, Some Vegan Books, and Muscle Chow in a cabinet in the workout room. I generally forget they are even there. The Whole 30 ones and a couple others are in my pantry and more likely to get a little use.

Valerie, it depends on what I am making. If a dish is something I am making and can be frozen for other meals I will use a whole recipe. Otherwise, if I cut way down on the amount of ingredients I just chop and slice for what I need. My husband likes au gratin potatoes that I make enough of that lasts a couple of meals for him and I use it to slice the potatoes and grate the cheese. I also use it for family meals. I rice a head of cauliflower in it for dishes or to make cauliflower mash. I like to put a poached egg on top of cauliflower mash that has been seasoned with some garlic and paprika. I also hand chop onions.
I had someone with me both times I got a colonoscopy. My daughter went with me the last time. I had some probiotics and digestive enzymes on hand after the procedure to help get things back to normal.

Cathy, I think a lot of people get a picture in their mind of how something is going to happen and are very disappointed and discouraged when it did not turn out how they imagined. Glad your son is better at accepting it not being quite what expected.

This morning I did Stacked Sets Upper Body for 45 minutes and 227 calories burned. Average heart rate was 122 and maximum heart rate was 148.

Cathy, nice job with P30 Upper Body, P30 Lower Body, and part of the IMAX 3 combos. I’m glad that your zoo trip worked out okay after the rocky start.

Valerie, nice job with XC skiing and getting a haircut. it’s good that the fabric bands are working well for you. I like using them.

Diane Sue, good job with CDorner Legs and Glutes, stretch, and Raw Abs circuits. I have so many cookbooks and I still love to browse through some of them. I was in one of those book of the month clubs for cookbooks early in my marriage which started my collection. I prefer a hard copy cookbook over digital. I tried a couple of those but they don’t give me the same satisfaction. I do use a recipe app for individual recipes that I want to save.

Hello to Judy.

No workout today as I shopped. 80 here and that's too much for me. LOL And can I just say that P30 Lower Body workout yesterday really nailed my glutes!

Valerie glad you like your new bands. That's great that you got in a 3 hour x-country ski.

Diane Sue as a kid, Derek, taught me a lot of patience. He just always saw possibilities. I'll never forget the day he told me it was time to go drive around and choose the land for his zoo and me trying to explain to someone with no concept of how property is owned and the amount of money what he wanted would cost. LOL

Carolyn great job with Stacked Sets Upper Body.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.