Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 5/3

I don't find so much the late meal "food" a problem, but the conversation. it gets me all revved up and I can't sleep afterwards. it doesn't have to be arguing politics or anything heated, just late evening conversation. we try to make our social get togethers early so I ( both of us) can decompress. it doesn't seem to matter what I eat, and I tend to eat lightly because restaurant food or other peoples cooking does not set well with me. An intense phone conversation at home in the evening can do the same thing.

Lynda, I remember now you saying this before about Synvisc. I have never had any shots in my knee but will do it if needed. cortisone in my shoulder has been wonderful. I'm not inclined to do high impact things either. tabatas do not appeal to me. I'm more comfortable with lower intensity for longer periods, like 3 hr bike rides, 6 hr hikes.

Lori we live in a rural area. we have coyotes and certainly bobcats, we just never saw one. this is the first bear we've had this close but sometimes logging or development can displace critters who need to look for a new home. we'd heard neighbors talking about seeing them before, but we never had. I know there is a risk for letting our kitty outside at all. we limit to daytime hours when we're home. he seems cautious and tends to hang out most on our deck where he can survey the area. I know there's a risk anyway. he is never out in evening, night, or early morning. for cats who've been "outside" there is no peace if you try to keep them in. he's our third kitty and we haven't lost anyone to a predator so far. but I worry and watch.

DB, if I'd had a chance I would have grabbed a camera or cell phone but they were both a whole floor away and I didn't want to take my eyes off the bobcat!

we're having problems with BIL and SIL. he just had a hip replacement but they are both in very very bad shape and now they want to "go on a trip with us". we are dodging right now. they can't ride a bike, any kind, can't hike AT ALL, and are not doing anything to improve their condition. I don't know what they are thinking. we don't want to hurt their feelings but this would be a disaster.

Good morning,

I did STS legs yesterday, and weeded the garden, then did an agility class last night, my legs feel like lead right now.

DB, I know you mentioned it, but where are you again? Knee replacement sounds scary to me, hope you can put it off for a long time.

Lynda, thanks for the tip on a flowering vine plant. We had a wisteria a long time ago, it was a free standing one, kind of like a little tree, with beautiful flowers. We expanded the garage, and had to dig it up for that, tried to replant it and it didn't make it. Maybe we'll look into a climbing one.

Lori, Yes, 2 weeks down in Meso 1, I can't wait to get to Meso 2. I thought of you immediately when I got that e-mail announcement from Cathe about the workout blender. "Lori will make good use of this" ! Yikes, coyotes? I would be out with little Nilla too.

Valerie, I am the same, about getting worked up, and not sleeping. Maybe it's watching Prime before going to bed. What do your BIL and SIL want to do with you on a trip if the one is recovering from a hip replacement and neither can hike or bike?

Hi to Josie, Judy and Dawn,

Class today, yard work, HouseMax, and later a birthday party for my uncle in assisted living...I think he is turning 83? 84? Not sure. but It will be nice for him.

Take care,

Deb, I think they would like more adventure in their lives but they are both way out of shape. SIL had a knee replaced maybe 2 yrs ago, still walks funny, BIL just had hip done. BIL is in better shape than she is ( not saying much!) but when we go somewhere, we do multi mile hikes or rides. we have a truck camper, so stay in forest service campgrounds, or dispersed camp. don't like to stay at commercial campgrounds. they don't really "camp", stay in cheap motels most of which are nowhere near campgrounds or trailheads. they eat awful food.... like raw spam right out of the can with mayonnaise on gooey white bread. and a lot of beer. OMG the horror... the horror
I can't picture them sleeping in a tent on the ground. our camper is nowhere near big enough for 4 people. they might go to a lake, set up, lawn chairs and fish. nothing wrong with that.... but not what we want do. I think they'd like to follow us somewhere, and then try to tag along. we could let them try and let them find out how out of shape they are, or we could pick some really short easy stuff we otherwise wouldn't do. no way to win here.
If we met some place and then each went our separate way that would be OK I guess, but I don't think that's what's in mind. so we will dodge and stall!!

Deb I've heard from many people that bobcats are very common and easy to see in the desert southwest. they are around here too, but not as plentiful and harder to see because of all the foliage.

we tried another hike yesterday and were out of luck once more. it's on a closed road that DH and I have cleaned up before but was a total mess. we went for about an hour climbing over masses of downed trees but we will have to come back with a chain saw and clean a pathway . especially with an overnight pack, it was painful. we don't know how far the area of blow downs went on. we could not see the end so bagged it. a couple years ago we went up on bikes and a small chain saw and cleared a path and it was messy for the first 2 miles.
the only thing we accomplished was to decide we want a new tent. ours is about 12 yrs old and zippers are not working well. plus the technology is much better and lighter now. we can take 3 lbs off our pack weight by getting a new one. so will go for it when REI announces their memorial day sale. we picked the one we want and will look at it maybe today after a ride.

Good afternoon ladies!

I ended up doing Tabatacise followed up with a new SB barre workout which was Total Body Fusion. Loved this workout. She uses mostly 10lb weights and there was one shoulder exercise laying on the floor where she starts with eights then drops down to no weights and I was pretty much with her. Very tough.

Valerie...that is a very difficult situation with your B and SIL. Not sure how to get out of this. That realy stinks about your second hike...but yeah....you got a new tent! I am going to NC for the 4th for a few days and where we are staying the house if over flowing. We were getting a hotel but then someone mentioned a tent and that is what we are doing. They'll be 4 of us in it including my son. The other two I used to camp with when we were kids. I am actually looking forward to it!

Deb...yes you are right I am very excited about the online WB. Oh the possibilities!

Off to do some house max then walk chester, shower and get ready for my unbelievable cheat meal. I have been on the 21 day fix for 28 days and was extremely good and then after today's workout I feel have earned this meal! He he!

Hi everyone!

Housemax this morning and a major cleaning of our refrigerator. Ugh--why are they so hard to clean??

Valerie, if you and your in-laws are willing to spend some money on a vacation, I would recommend a stay at Rancho La Puerta, and you can get an immediate knock off the price if you say I referred you. Vegetarian cuisine (which was absolutely delicious) with one fish choice at dinner (I always asked for and ate both entrees), hikes every morning and some are very challenging in terms of miles and elevations, for you and DH. Bird watching walks, a maze, which I found oddly soothing to do, and every kind of class. While they might like the meditation and stretch and Feldenkrais therapy, you might go to the strength and conditioning classes, yoga, Pilates. I, on the other hand, went to all the dance classes and the strength and conditioning classes. There's swim aerobics if they like that, or classes for tennis and basketball. If they only want to relax, there's always the pool and hammocks in the midst of gorgeous gardens, where you can just watch the world go by. You pay extra for spa treatments, but you don't have to have any of them if you don't want to. Movie-watching at night and/or lectures. Cooking classes if you want to learn their vegetarian cuisine. You would have to bring your own wine or beer or go to their wine bar. They only serve wine with dinner on Friday night. I lost five pounds without even being aware of losing them. It was a blast and everyone was independent--doing their own thing. The weather was dry, not humid, and warm, not hot. I went for a whole week, but others went for 3-4 days.

Have fun at your cheat meal, Lori! I will probably bring half of my dinner home, but I will be having my Manhattan.

The in laws rented the house in Morro bay. we stayed there but plugged in and stayed in our camper. better for everyone.. they get into their afternoon beer and it gave us a quiet refuge. they paid a lot of money and have it rented for next year. they would not like a spa place. DH would not either. If I were vacationing alone, I'd like it. I went to a spa/tennis ranch once and had a great time when I was single. they are family, I care about them, but they really are low brow...not trying to be unkind here, but that is even pretty charitable.

If I go on a trip with girlfriends, I'd look for something like that so this may come up again. we haven't been able to get everyone coordinated. we had looked at Sedona (AZ) and New Mexico but never could get all 4 people off at the same time. only one is still working so we may try again late this year/ next year. one friend recovering from hip replacement. she is 2 weeks out right now.

today we did a 2 hour road ride, about 20 miles. a bike club was having an organized ride and we kept getting mixed in with them but it did cut down on vehicle traffic.

Lori have fun with the cheat meal! I like tent camping if conditions are good. we didn't get the tent yet. we looked at them after our ride. will wait for the REI sale in a week. there will be a 20% off coupon, and backpacking tents can be pricey.

Last edited:
Cathe Cardio Supersets & Afterburn Premix
Cathe Total Body Stretch Basic

Hi everyone. Hope you all are having a great weekend. It's pretty soggy hear with occasional thunderstorms rolling through, but we need the rain so I sure won't complain.

Okay, I broke down and subscribed to Cathe On Demand to take advantage of her workout blender (WB) she just released yesterday. I made the mistake of watching the demo and I was a goner hook line and sinker.
mad.gif
This thing is awesome
music.gif
music.gif
music.gif
, and is exactly what I've been wanting to mix and match Cathe's workouts. I never tried her old blender but this one is nice and from what I'm reading on Cathe's site a heck of a lot more features than her old one. So today I mixed and matched segments from Cardio Supersets and Afterburn that I like doing and added the stretch in and named it and played it back on my tv thru my laptop. I am going to have so much fun with this making up my own workouts. I've already got a 45 minute cardio workout using just her warm-ups because she has some awesome warm-ups. Of course that's not all of them but it's going to be fun doing that on my non weight days. The workout above was my first creation and I had abs in there but didn't have time so had to jump right to the cool down. It's like having a new toy that I can't stop playing with. Had to make myself get up and do housework/cook
mad.gif

Lori, you are so going to love the WB. I am extremely happy with it. I'm going to go play with it some more and make me some more workouts. I'm trying to load a rotation I saw over in the rotations thread that I liked and am tweaking.

Deb, I'm in southern IL, 34 miles from St. Louis MO.

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did Muscle Max. It felt so good to do a heavier weight workout! I stayed lighter on legs and modified a couple of moves to be safe.

Valerie-great job with all the biking and hiking! That is awesome!

Lori- I'm going to do Total Body Fusion this week. It looks like a great workout for under 30 minutes. I watched the workout blender video and it looks like it will be very useful.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Judy

Hi everybody!
I did Super Cuts today. It was the first time doing it, so some of the moves were a little awkward. I'm not sure if I like the metabolic workouts yet.

DB - you sound like a kid in a candy store with the Workout Blender. I'm sure you're going to enjoy it!
Lori and Lynda - Hope you enjoy your dinners out this weekend!
Valerie - I've never seen a bobcat in real life, but that would be amazing to see.

Tomorrow is a rest day for me. My daughter and I are going to go to see my Mom for lunch at her house. She doesn't like to go out because of her bad knees, but she likes to have company visit her.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.