Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 5/19/2024

Today I did CDorner day 8 of the 14 day challenge Legs and Back 38 minutes, 99 calories, heart rate 94/115.
I followed with CDorner day 14 of the 14 day challenge Cardio Yoga (wrist friendly workout with no down dogs) It was a flow of moves ending with a short plank segment on forearms. 39 minutes, 78 calories, heart rate 88/100. Total time was 77 minutes, 177 calories.

Good morning. Today I did 18 minutes of yoga to start my day.

Judy, thanks for getting us started this week.

Diane Sue, great job with CDorner Legs and Back and Cardio Yoga.

Hello to Valerie and Cathy.

No workout yesterday since Derek and I went to the Toledo Zoo. This morning I did STS 2 Body Parts Chest and Triceps. Over 80 today-yuck. And tomorrow we'll be near 90-very yucky. As someone who really likes having windows open this is not a plus. I'm planning a potential trip this fall to get a couple days of hiking in. If I go up to Marquette, it would be 3 if not 4 nights. I'd really like to go to Mackinac Island again, but the accommodations on the island are crazy expensive as is food, and I'd have to buy all my food if I stayed plus ferry tickets. Looking at staying in St. Ignace for a couple nights and taking the ferry to the island for two days of hiking. I can get a room with a microwave and fridge and take most of my food along and only need lunches on the island, plus ferry tickets. That way would be at least 1/2 the cost of staying on the island. Oh for the days back in the 80's, when I could get a really cheap room in a bed and breakfast with a bathroom down the hall and I stayed twice every summer.

Carolyn great job with the yoga.

Diane Sue great job with CDorner day 8 of the 14 day challenge Legs and Back and cardio yoga.

Valerie sounds like a great hike you got in yesterday. I will say I prefer paths of roots and in the ground large rocks to loose ones. Much more secure for me. Sounds like you definitely earned a day off.

Hi Judy.

Yesterday I worked 8 hours and today I did 45 minutes of Yin Yoga. I'm scheduled to work all next weekend, including Monday so I'm going to try to get some good workouts in this week while I'm off.

Diane Sue-Great job with CDorner day 8 of the 14 day challenge Legs and Back and Cardio Yoga.

Carolyn-Great job with your yoga today.

Cathy-Great job with STS 2 Body Parts Chest and Triceps. I'm enjoying the warmer weather but 90 is a bit much for May in Michigan. 70-75 would be really nice.

Hi to Valerie

This morning I did Step Sync, combos one and two. That was 33 minutes and 195 calories burned, average heart rate 117 and maximum heart rate 138.

Judy, nice job with Yin Yoga. Hopefully you will be able to fit in your workouts with the busy work schedule.

Cathy, great job with STS 2 Body Parts Chest and Triceps.

Hello to Valerie and Diane Sue.

No workout today as I didn't sleep well. But I did get some cleaning done this morning.House is still cool as we left the windows open overnight and there is a bit of a breeze which helps.

Carolyn great job with Step Sync.

Judy great job getting in the yoga after your long day. I agree 70-75 is my favorite temp range.

Hi Valerie and Diane Sue.

No workout yesterday. We had family day and birthday's. Today I did CDorner Day 9 of the 14 day workout challenge Cardio Kickboxing Hiit + Arms, 39 minutes, 224 calories, heart rate 143/154, 2585 steps. This was 5 minute cardio segments with 3 minute strength segment of two moves done as a pyramid up from 1,2,3 and up reps till time up. Usually ended around 9 reps each move. Use 8# dumbbells with 5# in case needing to lower the weight. I followed this with CDorner Mobility Challenge Day 10 spinal mobility, 20 minutes, 40 calories. I forgot to use the Garmin but did use my Withings App. Total time was 59 minutes, 264 calories.

Carolyn, nice work on the yoga yesterday and today's Step Sync Combos 1 and 2.

Cathy, nice work on yesterday's STS 2 Body Parts Chest and Triceps. It is windy here, but temperatures are climbing. Storms last night with tornado warning sirens going off. Tomorrow we are hitting 93. I am not looking forward to the heat. It sounds like you have some good ideas to save on cost for your trip.

Judy nice work getting on the 45 minutes of yin yoga.

Last edited:
We did a backpack yesterday. not successful. we got the permit and headed in with a not great weather forecast. I haven't done a backpack in years. Its hard hauling yourself plus 40 lbs up and downhill. the trail was not difficul but its at least 6000 feet. the weather came and went with some snow and rain and some sun. got to our site in a little over 2 hours but then it started blowing and snowing while we were trying to set up the tent. we set it up inside the house the night before to be sure it was working ok. it uses shock cord in aluminum tubes to make the frame. we got it about half way up and the shock cord went slack. it suddenly lost its elasticity. we pulled out the extra floppy cord and knotted it off but there was a frayed section that looked like it was about to break. you cant see inside the tubing so we thought maybe it would work for one night. we replaced it a few years ago . then we realized we were setting up in the eating/ cooking area and would have to move the tent considerable distance to the tent area. the last straw basically. there was a grizzly about a 1/4 mile away too, minding his own business but it was snowing and blowing and we didn't think the tent cord would tolerate being pulled apart and then re stretched. so we bailed and walked back out. disappointing. I am pretty sore today. a 2 hour walk out. it was a nice but we will have to order replacement cord and it was a project to replace it, having done it a few years ago. havent used the tent in a couple years so we didnt expect the cord would fail so quickly. It reminded me of underwear that is fine one day and the next day the waistband goes slack and they fall right off. this cord was fine the night before. stretchy, seemed 100%. but the next day it was flaccid and several inches of it hung out between sections of the tubing. the metal tubing pulls apart in sections with the shock cord running thru he middle and snapping it into place.

Last edited:
Today I did LiTE Stacked Sets Upper Body, 45 minutes and 161 calories burned. My average heart rate was 106 and maximum heart rate was 135.

Cathy, I’m sorry that you didn’t sleep well.

Diane Sue, great job with CDorner Cardio Kickboxing HiiT +Arms, and Mobility.

Valerie, I’m sorry that your backpacking outing didn’t go well.

Hello to Judy.

This morning I did STS 2 Body Parts Shoulders and Legs. I used the blender and dropped third sets and put the lying stretch from Step Boss at the end. Won't be much in the way of workouts the next 3 days as I'm going to the zoo/parents tomorrow, Thursday Derek and I are going to S. Bend and Friday I'll be shopping. At least I'll get a lot of steps in.

Carolyn great job with LITE Stacked Sets Upper Body.

Diane Sue great job with Cardio Kickboxing Hiit + Arms and mobility workout.

Valerie I'm really sorry that your overnight trip was a bust. So frustrating.

Hi Judy.

Yesterday I did a 30 minute Peloton ride, then 40 minutes of Arms & Light Weights (1-5 lb dumbbells), 20 minutes of Glutes & Leg Strength and 20 minutes of Restorative Yoga. Today I did a 20 minute run/walk outside and this evening I did 20 minutes of Arms & Light Weights and 5 minutes of Peloton core. The Arms & Light Weights are like physical therapy for my shoulders, neck and upper back but I do need to get back to heavier weights too.

Carolyn-Great job with Step Sync, combos one and two, and LiTE Stacked Sets Upper Body.

Cathy-I’m sorry about your sleep. Great job with STS 2 Body Parts Shoulders and Legs and the Step Boss Stretch.

Diane Sue-Great job with CDorner Day 9 of the 14 day workout challenge Cardio Kickboxing Hiit + Arms and CDorner Mobility Challenge Day 10 spinal mobility.

Valerie-I’m sorry that your backpacking trip didn’t go as planned.

Today I did LITE Cardio Party+extended stretch, 55 minutes, 216 calories, 4,892 steps, heart rate 115/157. My heart rate wasn't going up the first half and I realized I forgot to loosen it one notch. It makes a difference for some reason. I have to wear it tight at night if I want to get the correct Sp02. More rain coming in the middle of the night. Hope it is quiet so the dog and I can sleep.
I am thinking of purchasing Killer Legs and Maybe Total Body Barbell. Did any of you purchase the pilates ball Cathe has. That and the balance disc were not available on Amazon when I purchased mine. I bought a pink pilates ball and put it on a shelf in my spare room closet. When I opened the door to get a coat a while back it had rolled off and was hanging onto the inside of the closet door. It was sticky and felt like glue. The inside of the door is still sticky and I am not sure how to get that off the door before I repaint it. I need to get another one.

Valerie, I am sorry your backpack trip failed yesterday. I don't think anything is made to last long anymore.

Carolyn, nice work on LITE Stacked Sets Upper Body today.

Cathy, good job on STS 2 Body Parts Shoulders and Legs with Step Boss stretch mix. All of that walking is work too.

Judy, good job on the 30 minute Peloton ride, 40 minutes of Arms & Light Weights , 20 minutes of Glutes & Leg Strength, and 20 minutes of Restorative Yoga yesterday. Nice work today with the 20 minute run/walk outside and this evening 20 minutes of Arms & Light Weights and 5 minutes of Peloton core.

Last edited:
Today I did KCM’s Cardio Quick Fix workout one. That was 26 minutes and 185 calories burned. Average heart rate was 130 and maximum heart rate was 156.

Cathy, nice job with STS 2 Body Parts Shoulders and Legs, and Step Boss Lying Stretch. I’m sure it’s helpful to use the Blender to create the workout that you want.

Judy, nice job with Peloton ride, Arms +Light Weights, Glutes and Leg Strength, Restorative Yoga, outdoor walk/run, and core. Great workouts!

Diane Sue, nice job with Cardio Party + Extended Stretch. I have Cathe’s pilates ball and I like it. I also have both Killer Legs and Total Body Barbell, but I haven’t used them much.

Hello to Valerie.

Today I did Raw Upper Body Box: Lower Tone, 35 minutes, 134 calories, heart rate 112/134 followed by Raw Yoga Stretch 14 minutes, 27 calories. Total time 49 minutes, 161 calories. These were new Raw workouts. The box and tone does a rebounder for warm up then alternates lower body no weight toning and boxing segments. Kelly uses egg weights and holds them during lower as well through all but the last round of boxing and weights.

Thanks Judy! I was looking at the balls on Amazon and one seller said do not place them touching wood. Most of those types of items cannot be around wood. This was a different company than the one I had purchased from.

Carolyn, thanks. Great job today on KCM Cardio Quick Fix workout 1. I checked out the moves and mix options and think I will find use for these workouts. I used Mother's day Amazon cards to purchase. Most people I talk to say they have not done those workouts much. I like mixing up workouts so maybe I will get more use out of them. I wasn't sure if I wanted the kickbox one as it looked like some of the other intense ones and I will not be doing jump roping either. I just decided not to buy it.

Today I did LiTE Stacked Sets Lower Body timesaver + Step Boss Lying Stretch. My time was 43 minutes and 163 calories burned. Average heart rate 110 and maximum heart rate 143.

Diane Sue, nice job with Raw Upper Body Box: Lower Tone, and Raw Yoga Stretch. The 2023 workouts are a nice addition to other workouts. I’m sure that you will find a use for them.

Hello to Cathy, Valerie, and Judy.

Today I did CDorner Step Class #279 41 minutes, 202 calories, 4,185 steps. I am hoping to go back and stretch. I went out and ran errands this morning and had some things coming from Whole Foods so not enough time in between.

Carolyn, nice job on LITE Stacked Sets Lower Body Timesaver and Step Boss Lying Stretch today. I was hoping the workouts would come tomorrow morning, but since it is Amazon delivery and not usps It will more than likely be in the afternoon. I will have to wait till Saturday to use them.

We found the shock cord kit for our tent on amazon. these routinely need replacing, used or not. the cord is always under tension even when the tent is packed away. we must have gotten its last gasp retraction when we checked it. the next day it was floppy and useless. my back was fine during the trip, but one knee and one foot were not happy.
yesterday we did a short ride. raining and snowing on and off. today is just yucky. snowing all day and socked in. another report of a hiker rushed by a grizzly on the road we usually ride on near here. the road isnt open to motorized for a few days yet. we will wait until our next trip. vehicle traffic will likely make the bear move on.
we rode a section of road yesterday with loose surface and a lot of steep short hills. looked flat on the map only because it went up and back down constantly. we went for 45 min total because it was snowing again. so one road find was a success and the other not a repeater. I am still doing therapy most days.

This morning I did JS One Mile of Motivation for 15 minutes and 105 calories burned. Average heart rate 105 and maximum heart rate 151. Then I did Jane Adams Yoga for Beginners, Core and More. That was 30 minutes and 45 calories burned. I feel that one already. It reminded me of one of Cathe’s core workouts but slower and more focus on breathing.

Diane Sue, nice job with CDorner Step Class before running your errands.

Valerie, I’m glad that you found the tent repair kit that you need. It’s hard for me to imagine that it’s snowing in parts of the country. Intellectually I know it from the news, but I can’t visualize it!

Hello to Judy and Cathy.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.