Pentagenarians & Beyond" W/B 5/12

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning and Happy Mother's Day!

No workout yesterday, Friday did 30 minutes on the treadmill. Ike had his first Puppy agility class yesterday. So much fun. He loved it! Immediately fell asleep in the car on the way home. :)

Valerie, I will have to pick up an avocado and try the toast. Too bad about the lunch cancellation, but at least you will not have to plan/prepare a future meal.

Diane Sue, that is waa;aayy to complicated for me to get the number of calories burned. Since there is so much that can impact the result, I just go by the same device (eg. Polar HRM vs. Fitbit) each time and figure as long as I can see if its up or down, I know if I worked harder etc.

Carolyn, nice that your meeting went well. I think I would like the toast with the egg on top, (as long as it was not too runny)..:).

Judy, great workout and awesome step count! When I was in charge of our warehouse at work, and I spent time helping out there, I walked a lot. Did not have a Fitbit then though. LOL...I wish I had.

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

I buy avocados at Costco, 5 in a bag. I let them ripen, then refrigerate. they usually don't ripen at the same rate but I like to have ripe ones available all the time. I like Carolyn's idea of an egg on it. soft not runny. I have always LOVED avocados. I wasn't all that impressed with toast the first time, so I experimented for texture & more flavor. a sprinkle of chohula hot sauce. "everything but the bagel" seasoning. a little diced tomato. my favorite is toasted pepitas. Hope you enjoy the toast. terrific that Ike enjoys his classes.

we were kind of ticked off because cousin didn't call us. it was up in the air about whether they would come later in the day so we stayed here when we could have done something. I will end up with 6 big chicken breasts because already defrosted. I was planning to grill when we got back from the ride. DH and I will be eating a load of chicken this week! it was inconsiderate. they should have updated us.

I've skipped step counting devices, only measure time. I get tempted but never buy one. I've researched and hemmed and hawed and never do it. I haven't found a device that will work to count cycling.
I did stacked upper body later yesterday along with 6 pk abs. I'm developing severe arthritis in my left wrist so modifying more how I do things. not the joint at base of thumb that is most common, but some other small bones in wrist. the flat hand position is a problem. so far I can do everything. I wear a wrist brace a lot more. the brace takes up the wrist left, and I wear the watch on my right so another reason I have not gotten a fitbit.

Last edited:
Happy Mother’s Day. Today is my scheduled rest day. My husband gave me a beautiful bouquet of flowers which are making my allergies go haywire. I haven’t told him because I don’t want to hurt his feelings, but I moved them to another room. Later I will suggest flowers in a pot to go on the deck for the next time. He loves to give me flowers but I have become more sensitive to them in recent years.

Deb, egg on avocado toast is my favorite.

Valerie, I also buy my avocados from Costco and treat them the same as you described. If I want one before they ripen I will put it in a brown paper bag for a day or so. Sometimes I put sriracha hot sauce on my toast with the egg. My daughter gave me a bottle of truffle hot sauce called Truf that was delicious on the toast—not very hot, but wonderful flavor.

Diane Sue, that’s great that your son and son-in-law are cooking. It sounds like a fun day.

Judy, I’m glad that you got the new Travis Eliot downloads. I’m going to have to get on the download bandwagon soon, but I’m not ready yet. So many trainers are no longer producing dvds. Maybe I will try one of the free downloads from Chris Freytag’s gethealthyutv.

Hello to Lori.

Today was a rest day. It was a fun day. We had grilled chicken, and grilled smoked sausage. I have eaten so much the last two days. I love grilled chicken and have plenty of leftovers for this week :) I will probably dice some up for a salad at lunch time.
We ordered a new Sharp microwave/convection hood that should be here in the next week or so. I hope it is not complicated to install ourselves. I wish my GE didn't go crazy on me. It shot out a big light and started running and would not stop. I ended up unplugging it because none of the buttons would work to turn it off. I was afraid it would burn the house down or explode or something. Odd, that I did not think that I used the microwave that much, but soon realized otherwise. I generally keep things in the freezer and thaw what I need near cooking time. I made low carb cheesy bread sticks for my husband since he is doing keto and I had to melt the cheeses in a sauce pan. Talk about messy! I usually put it in a bowl in the microwave to melt then dump into the food processor with almond flour and coconut flour. I also realized I only have one small sauce pan. I ended up heating canned green beans in a skillet.
Has anyone tried the ceramic coated steel cookware aka Gotham Steel ? I ordered some to try.
My husband brought home some beautiful flowers in a vase one of the women at his work cut from her flower bed. They smell like roses, but are so huge and fluffy with loads of petals. My daughter thinks they might be peonys. I would like to find out what they are so I could buy a live plant.

Deb, that I bet that was so much fun with Ike and the first agility class. Yes, it is a lot of work doing the math for calories burned. Most of the time I kind of know from years of doing workouts the proximity the calorie burn should be in. Even if something shows way more calories. I have a tendency for being obsessed with accuracy, and am sure there is no device that is absolutely right.

Valerie, I usually buy one avocado that is about ready and the rest firm so they do not ripen too fast. Firmer is okay for slicing on soup or something. I have put grilled chicken in the freezer in baggies for later. I can usually come up with something to do with it. I hate putting stuff in the refrigerator and having it go bad. It does seem that they could have called and let you know that they were not coming at all. That was inconsiderate. Kelly Coffey sometimes does things like planks and even some stretching with with her hands in fists rather than having her wrists bent. I have tried that, but I think it aggravates my wrists and my fingers both when I do it.

Carolyn, I have read things where they say to get rid of house plants and flours inside to avoid the allergies. I guess I never really have noticed a difference in my allergies. I will have a bouquet inside once in awhile. Live Christmas trees bother me though. Most of the time I would want them because I love a live tree and then remember how they bothered me.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did PHA ( original from S&S) time saver premix #1, 35 minutes 182 calories.

Valerie, 5 pounds of avocados is a lot! Don't they end up turning brown in your refrigerator? Never heard of a device yet that counts cycling. Right now it only measures how many times your arm that is wearing the FitBit moves back and forth. If you are walking and pushing a grocery cart, using both arms, I found that I get no step counts... Not Fair!! All the walking around those big stores like Costco and all those steps not counted...LOL.

Carolyn, it is so nice you got the flowers, hopefully putting them in another room will help your allergies.

Diane Sue, that must have been really scary when that microwave went crazy! I have a ceramic coated 5 quart Dutch oven pot, and a large frying pan. I like them a lot. Very easy to clean. Just make sure you NEVER use the scratchy side of a sponge etc, or the surface will stop being non-stick and will discolor. Mine are white, and a accidently used a scratch type pad a couple of times, out of habit and that is what happened. I have never done it on the second one and it is like brand new.

Hi to Lori and Judy,

Take care,

deb there are 5 avocados in the bag. Costco always has big portions. like Carolyn, mentioned you can speed up ripening by putting one in a bag. you can refrigerate to slow the process. Dh and I eat avocado in some form most days so we will go thru in a week or 10 days. usually one or two that ripen before the others, so they almost stagger their own ripening schedule.
I ride so much that it is depressing not to count all of that motion. losing all the steps from shopping with a cart also adds to inaccuracy. going to go ride this morning, the ride we didn't do yesterday because it was drizzling. I did Rev'd up rumble instead.
that is scary with the microwave. we had a wall oven that went into a self cleaning cycle by itself and we had to cut the circuit to stop it. I had a baking sheet sitting in it and it burned off all the non stick coating before I realized the oven had gone berserk. at least I was home!. scary when something malfunctions like that. I use a microwave a lot, can't live without one. so convenient. I wish our camper had a microwave instead of a regular oven. it is a huge PITA to light we almost never use it.

I have porcelain coated cast iron. 2 le cruset dutch ovesn and a recent cheap Lodge one. I love them and have had them for 40 years and still work great. I have one of those "green" pans that was cheap but works really well. nothing sticks. use it for eggs mostly.

Today I did Strong and Sweaty PHA Training for 54 minutes and 293 calories burned. My average heart rate was 121 and maximum heart rate was 165.

Deb, nice job with PHA yesterday. I really like both of the PHA workouts. I think Valerie had 5 avocados in a bag. My most recent bag had 6. I eat 1/4 of an avocado most days and my husband likes it on his turkey sandwiches occasionally. Sometimes I have to throw one away, but that’s true wherever you buy them.

Diane Sue, I don’t use my microwave much either, but it would be difficult to do with it for small tasks. Leftover grilled chicken is always good to have. I freeze it to eat it on my salads.

Valerie, we were posting at the same time. I have a couple of Le Creuset pieces and I use them almost every day.

Hello to Lori and Judy.

We ended up riding the tree farm instead, so 2 hours. lots of people there today, but everyone was friendly and personable. talked to another mt biker, older guy, who gave us a load of info on some other trails to try nearby. our forecast is dry today and wet the rest of the week so seems everyone came out to ride the dry day.
avocado toast is pleasantly filling. on mornings I've had it, I skip eating a kind bar when we are riding.
I LOVE my Le Creuset dutch ovens. they last forever but they are heavy.

Today was Kelly Coffey Cardio Sculpt Fitness cardio mix with abs, 39 minutes, heart rate 132 average, 170 max, met 8.3, 279 calories, 3,006 steps. Coffey Fit Raw 6 and 6 metabolic, 34 minutes, heart rate average 112, max 147, 172 calories, met 7.8, 978 steps, Body Design Yoga 13 minutes, 37 calories, met 2.7, 50 steps. Total time was 72 minutes, 451 calories, 4,034 steps. I hope everyone had a nice weekend and mothers day.
6 and 6 is six rounds of 6 moves and I used 12's and 15's for the workout. They are compound moves for most of it other than squats and lunges. It has side lunge to overhead press, plank rows with push ups, ski arms (swings with two dumbbells, dumbbells together on floor doing triceps push ups.

Deb, I tend to not want to use the spin bike because I am working hard and not getting many steps. You are so right with the shopping cart. I get some, but then I am not always hanging on with both hands. I am usually in a hurry to get out of those stores and pay little attention to whether I am holding on or not. I read that even if the ceramic cookware says dishwasher safe you should wash by hand. Also read you should put paper towels or a cloth between them when stacking so they don't scratch the surface. I am hoping I like them. I am getting the 12 inch skillet and two 9 inch(one a so called bonus) and casserole looking pot with a lid. I think they are supposed to be safer than teflon for cooking. You aren't supposed to use high heat on either though.

Valerie, we had a oven do that with the self cleaning once and we could not stop it. I had my son come over and he unhooked it and finally when it had cooled he had to take the front off and get in there to undo the lock. We were able to fix it though. It has been so many years I do not remember how we did it. Appliances that do things like that are scary. My daughter had her dryer catch on fire once. Luckily her husband was home sleeping since he worked nights at the time. That made me afraid to go off and leave clothes in the dryer when I am not home. A small microwave might be nice to take along in the camper. That is good news that the ceramic seems to work well.

Carolyn, I tried one of those baked eggs once with the egg broke into the avocado and decided I do not like baked eggs. They are not soft. Eggs with avocado and spinach would be really good. I still like it on seed bread or something toasted.

Last edited:
Good morning,

Yesterday I did a Cardio Coach treadmill workout, 32 minutes, 206 calories

Valerie, I guess the refrigerator slows the ripening process of the avocados. That is good that you can time them so that you can eat all of them. Can you get a small microwave for the camper? They have such tiny ones now, I guess for dorm rooms maybe? Will need to try the toast if it fills you up like that. No matter what I eat for breakfast ( which we eat at 6:00 am), by 10 I am starving.

Carolyn, I like both PHA's too, and also liked the ones she has on the LIVE workouts. I don't think I could get John to eat a plain avocado...he really likes guacamole though. LOL. Saw the Cathe pic of her breakfast. Looks good!

Diane Sue, That 6 and 6 workout method sounds interesting. What I have is Calphalon...which I found out was aluminum coated with ceramic. From their website: "The frying pan features eco-friendly, PFOA-free nonstick that helps prevent sticking and is easy to clean. Fast-heating aluminum". I like them a lot. The are not as heavy as a cast iron skillet. :) Bot of mine came with covers, I put the cover on upside down so I can stack other stuff on top of it, without putting anything inside. Yes, scratching would not be good for the finish. My cousin who is a volunteer fire Chief, says that a lot of calls they go on are either the dryer or dishwasher starting on fire. Scary. I never leave the house with either of them on. after hearing this.

Hi to Judy & Lori

Take care,

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did Spinervals 29.0, "Dropping The Hammer". It felt good to do a hard spin workout again. This morning I did Travis Eliot's Flexibility & Beyond-Hip practice. It was 60 minutes long and very thorough. I think this will be one I do regularly, along with the original Ultimate Yogi Yin practice.

Deb-We never leave the house with the dishwasher or dryer or even the washing machine on. I also make sure not to turn them on later in the evening so they aren't on when we go to bed.
Nice job with PHA and the Cardio Coach workout!

Valerie-your bike ride sounds awesome!

Carolyn-I think I am going to like the new Yin downloads. I plan on doing 2-3 a week, in the mornings on my work days. I saw Cathe's breakfast photo on FB and it looked very good!

Diane Sue-That is scary to have a dryer catch on fire! The closest we've had was a microwave that started sparking and sputtering before it stopped working. It was only a couple of years old so we think it had faulty wiring. Unfortunately we didn't have an extended warranty.

Hi to Lori!

Judy

Deb the camper is tight for space. it would have needed a micro at time of manufacture instead of an oven and then probably would need power from a hook up. I've used the oven a few times but its hard to light. the top gas burners are terrific so that's my usual. we usually camp away from campgrounds without hookups so only battery power. pretty basic. its still luxurious compared to tent camping. If I haul all the luxuries of home, I might as well stay there.
we usually eat breakfast early too, 9-10 is snack time. avocado toast or apple with PB, that sort of thing. I don't want to get TOO hungry . if we ride or hike, we would have a Kind bar or apple/PB. avocado toast doesn't travel well.
there is another shake on seasoning blend called Tajin. it is chilies and lime. tangy not really hot. nice on avocados too.
Judy, it was a fun ride. this area has a lot of intermediate trails. some really advanced ones too, but clearly marked and usually one way. many trails have roads as alternates, so if one is too hard, you can escape. of course you can always walk sections. this trail has to be 2 miles downhill and there are other options we haven't tried yet. We can ride the trail uphill or ride up the parallel road, and then come down the trail. In winter we stay legal and ride roads only. so many choices. If I can ride "up" something, I will be OK coming back down. I hope you get a chance to mt bike this year.

we are all on the same page about leaving appliances running. even when I worked long hours, I didn't leave things running. the oven melting down was scary. I had turned it on to preheat but was home & saw the inside filled with smoke. my fault leaving a sheet pan inside, but it would have been fine if it had worked normally and gone to 350. it was scary. the door locked itself and would not turn off or unlock. we ended up flipping the breaker.
I never could understand slow cooker pots running all day. seems unsafe. I let the DW finish its cycle sometimes after we have gone to bed but that's about as high risk as I get. wow a dryer fire would be scary. as long as we are home even working outside, I'll run washer and dryer but if we need to leave midcycle, I turn them off.

Last edited:
Today I did IMAX 2, combos 1-7 and 10. My time was 49 minutes with 377 calories burned. Average heart rate was 136 and maximum heart rate was 159.

Deb, I’m glad that you are able to use the treadmill for cardio again. I think it’s normal to want a snack 3-4 hours after your breakfast. I eat breakfast around 6:30 and I have a snack after my workout which is around 10:30. If your husband likes guacamole he might surprise you with the avocado toast. You would need to mash it and season with salt and pepper before putting it on the toast.

Judy, that’s great that you like the Flexibility and Beyond Yin Yoga. I like the fact that each practice targets a different body part. Good job with the Spinervals ride.

Valerie, nice ride yesterday. Hopefully you will have good luck with the trails that you choose for your rides.

Diane Sue, great job with KCM Cardio Sculpt, Raw Metabolic, and Body Design Yoga. I need to get new nonstick skillets too. I have avoided the ceramic because it seems to be easy to ruin the coating based on my reading. I’m interested to know how you like yours.

Hello to Lori. I hope all is well with you.

This morning was Lite Cardio Party 39 minutes, 283 calories, heart rate average 151, max 178 , 3,833 steps. This morning was my ladies game day and we stayed at it till near 1 then I had a couple of errands to run. When I got home the Microwave had been delivered. That box was heavy. I managed to get it over the door step and slid inside so I could unpack it. We probably won't get it installed until this weekend. It is going to take two people.

Deb, good job on the treadmill yesterday. My husband saw the Gotham Steel infomercial and that is where we ordered from. They have shipped from Las Vegas, so not sure how soon they will be here.

Judy, I have seen one of ours spark and sputter that quit and seen it happen with my daughter's As far as I know theirs is still in the cabinet and my grandson had purchased his mother a counter top one for her birthday or something. Nice that you were able to get in a hard ride :)

Valerie, older slow cookers never got that hot. Newer ones can sure leave things bubbling away even on low. There is always the chance even those could be faulty. Besides what if something happens and you do not get home when you expected to.

Carolyn, I am pretty certain we have eaten some of the teflon out of some of my older skillets. I am ready to toss them and hoping I really like the new pans. I have wanted to pull out I Max 2 since we had talked about it. I need for my knee to feel better for that though. Sunday I kept heels on all day and my knee and foot hurt so bad the rest of Sunday and yesterday. Today it is better, but not back to normal.

Good Morning,
Today I did Stacked Sets Upper Body for 40 minutes and 231 calories burned. My average heart rate was 123 and maximum heart rate was 146..

Diane Sue, I know what you mean about your knees and the step. I only use a 4” step, but I try not to do too many step workouts in a short period of time.

Hello to everyone and have a wonderful afternoon.

Today I did Coffey Fit Raw Step Drills and compound moves using 12# dumbbells, 37 minutes, 258 calories, met 7.0, heart rate average 135, max 175, 2,634 steps. I then did Lite Stacked Sets Upper Body mix with the abs, 46 minutes, 222 calories, met 5.8. This is not exact as I forgot to start my Fit Bit at first on the stacked sets. Total time was 83 minutes, calories burned 470

Carolyn, I had to guess a bit on Stacked Sets for my stats, as I missed almost all of the first two rounds. But, I did have last time to compare and add the abs to. The Kelly workout today is not a real aggressive step workout and lots of breaks for two rounds of two compound moves repeated. It was doable for me. I usually use a 6 inch step. 8 inch tends to aggravate my knee, so I leave it for just once in a great while.

Last edited:
I got a slow cooker after they'd been out for a while, and it was too hot. I think there were concerns that the older ones did not reach a high enough temp soon enough. it boiled things mercilessly to death. I couldn't see how you could leave something in it for 8 hours. I used it to make beans a few times, but one of those things I felt was pretty much a waste of money.

we rode this morning, 2 hrs 20 minutes. mt biking. 7 + miles. not as hard as usual but we are exploring a new corner of the tree farm, and checking out different trails to see where they connect to the areas we have been riding regularly. it was lovely out. we have a GPS program that includes most of the trails, but they are not marked or named on the GPS so not as easy as it sounds. there are trails everywhere, but no one has maps of the area.

I don't know why I feel so tired today. I had to push myself to get the workout in and procrastinated till late this morning. I ran to the store and have done a few things intermittently. I need to accomplish more since my husband is off Friday. I ran to Sprouts and did some online ordering from Amazon. I am waiting for my other rebate from check out 51 to hit my pay pal account so I can pre-order Cathe's upcoming workouts. Ibotta drops it in almost instantly.

Valerie, I liked the slow cooker for summer cooking rather than heat up the kitchen with the oven. It just helped keep things cool. That or stove top and outside grilling. Although outside grilling means standing outside in the heat. Nice work on the 7 plus miles today.

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did the Kickbox Warm up from 4 DS then a Jessica Smith Total Body Timesaver workout. I'll be working 10 hours on Saturday and 8 on Sunday, but I have tomorrow off and then Monday and Tuesday off. The schedule came out for the first week of June and they actually gave me a 4 hour shift one day. I hope that's a sign of me getting back to part time hours.

Valerie-I so hope we get a chance to ride this year too. Chris plans on taking some vacation days on my days off. The trails are so busy on the weekends that it would be better for us to go on a weekday even if I wasn't working weekends. We have a slow cooker but I wouldn't leave while it's on. I only use it when I know I'm going to be home all day. I washed a load of towels after work last night but I didn't put them in the dryer until this morning and they will be dry before I leave for work.

Diane Sue-Great workouts this week! You probably need a rest day, since you've been working out so much. I will procrastinate on doing a workout when I am feeling very tired too.
I noticed KCM mentioned on Facebook that she has an all Kettle bell workout coming this weekend. I might try it next week.

Carolyn-Great job with IMAX 2! I really need to start doing Cathe step workouts again, since I preordered the new series. I'm really glad to see an upper body Yin in the Flexibility & Beyond series. I will probably do that one next.

Hi to Deb & Lori!

Judy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.