Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 4/25

Traildoggie

Cathlete
good morning...

did most of stacked upper body last night after a very trying day. rain, lots of traffic we got stuck in. DH and I didn't get along too well and disagreed about everything. my sister called and left an annoying message after behaving badly last week. endlessly complaining about things she has no control over. I tried a dinner of blackened fish and "melting potatoes". turned out badly. I used a purchased spice mixture that was too hot for DH and WAY too salty for me. potatoes were so-so. between the two things smoking, we had to open windows and get a fan because the exhaust fan wasn't up to the job. neither of us could eat the fish. tossed the spice. UGH. tossed the potato recipe. erased the message from my sister.
last week was her birthday, she'd recently wanted a Sonicare toothbrush but the one she wanted was sold out. so for her b-day I got her a better one, still a basic model..... so she could not possibly get confused. then she says she doesn't have an electrical outlet in her bathroom, and then she "lost" the directions for the toothbrush. so I told her to find an outlet elsewhere to charge it up and leave the brush in the bathroom as the charge will last about 2 weeks. she has done nothing. please tell me it is impossible for an adult to be confused about plugging in and charging a Sonicare toothbrush.

So today will be a better day. Yes? I believe it will.

Last edited:
Today is my rest day. I didn’t even do yoga this morning. We are enjoying absolutely beautiful weather today after a very stormy evening. The heavy rain and hail last night was disturbing but it was over by 11:00.

Valerie, your day yesterday was full of mishaps. It’s too bad that your dinner was ruined. Sometimes it seems that one or two events can set the tone for the entire day. Hopefully today is going better for you.

Cathy, nice job with Live for the Love of Cardio. It sounds like a fun workout. That leadership program seems like a wonderful experience for your son.

Diane Sue, I’m glad that you were able to figure out the rocks that you found under your grill. I think that you will enjoy using it once you are all settled and the weather improves.

Deb, are you doing okay these days? I miss hearing from you.

Waving hello to Judy and Lori.

This morning I did Arms and Abs on the Ball. That is one very thorough upper body workout. I'm really not sure why when I was filling in my workout calendar I decided to follow a day with a 40+ minute core workout with more abs. Fortunately, I wasn't sore from yesterday.

Valerie sounds like yesterday was just a snowball racing downhill causing havoc everywhere for you. I sure hope things went much better for you today. And it's great that you were able to get in a workout after all of it!

Carolyn I'm glad you had some beautiful weather to enjoy today!

Hi Everyone,

I worked the past 4 days so haven't had a lot of extra time, but I did get a lot of exercise and steps in while working. I did a short upper body workout last night too.
I'm off tomorrow and Wednesday so I'll be able to get better workouts in then.

Valerie-I'm sorry that yesterday was not a good day. I hope today was much better.

Cathy-Great job with Arms and Abs on the Ball. Good luck with your vaccine and travel this week.

Carolyn-I hope you had a nice rest day.

Deb-I hope all is well. I miss hearing from you too.

Hi to Lori

yes better day. all cooking projects worked well. I did rev'd up rumble, 2 sets of 25 push ups, 2 sets of curls, core from x train, and my half way pull ups. some days it is uphill and against the wind! today was back to normal.

Today was a rest day. I went to church and came home and did a few more things. Cleaned the grill grates, but reading instructions I think I need to figure out how to pull the burners and flame tamers out to clean underneath. The instructions say not to use foil, but it looks like someone put foil in the bottom and I have to pull things out to get there. I bought some grill cleaner and it took the stuff off really well. I bought some stainless steel cleaner and polish I will use on the exterior and on the extra outer burner. Water got under the lid of the extra burner with this last storm. I also need to drag a shop vac out or something to get grass and dirt out of the grill. How it gets in there is beyond me. I cleaned the granite up as well. I had already done that, but the storms left everything dirty. Today was beautiful and I went out at first and sat on the patio and tossed a new ball I bought for Gertie.
Valerie, I am glad the this is a better day. That is crazy about the Sonicare toothbrush. How hard can it be to plug in and charge a toothbrush and then use the on button to use it. It must be an attention thing or something. I can figure no other reason for it. I plug mine in and put the charger away in a drawer in the bathroom so it is not sitting on the counter during the day.

Carolyn, we had some beautiful weather today too. It was still too wet for the lawn guy to mow yesterday so he will come tomorrow. I think it is going to be a lot warmer tomorrow. I read maybe 80. Weird after it being so chilly, but that is how spring usually is. No yoga or anything here today either. I rather liked sitting outside today for awhile.

Cathy, that was a thorough workout. Although I was disappointed when I did it because it is not just arms and abs. I really do not know why these arm workouts have to have shoulders and back work incorporated. I noticed Chris Dorner adds shoulder work and stuff as well.

Judy, I bet work had you doing plenty of walking so that would count as a workout. I am sure you will make up for it on your days off.

Diane sue that is what is so hard to deal with my sister. since she has no computer, zero computer skills, she cant see anything or look up anything. she has no concept of how to do even the simplest things. her house is a dump. there is only one way to put the 3 sonicare pieces together. (Gertie could do it by now!) I can't assume she can see how to do even the simplest things and she wont try. her house is such a mess that she loses things constantly. She needs to sell the house and move into assisted living but of course, she wont even consider doing it.

Today I did Cardio Slam for 49 minutes and 349 calories burned. My average heart rate was 132 and maximum heart rate was 262. We went to Lowe’s to get some herbs to plant and a few other outdoor items. I lIke to grow fresh herbs in pots on the deck so that is my current project. The weather is perfect for outdoor work and relaxation right now.

Cathy, nice job with Arms and Abs on the Ball. I hope that you are feeling okay after your vaccine today.

Judy, your work time can probably count as a workout with all the walking and probably lifting. I thought about you and lifting as I was getting a bag of potting soil.

Valerie great job with Rev’d Up Rumble, upper body exercises and X Train Abs.

Diane Sue, your Sunday sounds like it was enjoyable. Sitting outside and enjoying nature is so relaxing.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

I did Perfect Pump upper, and the ab workout from Ice. cathe sure goes heavy on this one. I will not try to lift 35 lbs over my head. I might work up to 35 for rows (maybe) because 25 is not a challenge but 30 is possible but hard. 35 I dont know.

bought a few more plants, did some planting in our new beds. Looks very nice, it had gotten overgrown and we'd lost most of the flowering plants. still have a fair number of bushy plants, but I try to get variety of leaf color so it isn't all green. this is a very "green" area to garden. there is a huge amount of space here to garden, and one has to control the impulse to plant every inch because its too much to manage.
carolyn, I grow herbs on our deck too. usually basil and rosemary. what do you grow?

Last edited:
This morning I did Fit Split Legs and Glutes which was 39 minutes and 166 calories burned. My average heart rate was 113 and maximum heart rate was 146.

Valerie, nice work with Perfect Pump Upper Body and Abs from ICE. Cathy definitely uses heavy weight in the PP workouts. There’s no way that I could match her. I always grow rosemary, basil, and thyme since I use those most often. Yesterday I also bought oregano, mint, and parsley. I make a farro salad that has a lot of basil and mint. I never have the mint when I need it if I don’t grow it myself.

Hello to Everyone and have a wonderful day.

First my second Moderna went really well. Arm is a little sore, but that's it! Yesterday morning I did My IMAX workout and then when I got back from getting the vaccine I did Boxing Hiit Express. Figured that would work my arm really well. This morning I did Live Lower Body Core Sweat and WOW! That is a really good face paced workout. She uses the light resistance loop, and trust me light is all you'll want, disks and 10-15 lb weights. Core is mixed in with the legs. I was definitely sweating! Had to turn on the fan for a bit and it was only 64 in the basement. Then just as I was finishing my workout, I got an alert that my package had arrived. (hangs head) Yes, I ordered the round mat. I went in last week and my shipping had lowered enough that the $15 coupon offset it. So, of course, I had to use it immediately and ended up doing Mobility, too. I really like it a lot. Easy to put away and really doesn't take too long considering you wrap it with the pipe and two straps and then back in the bag. Funniest part was that although I had casually mentioned to DH I was getting a new mat (I'm not even sure it registered with him) I didn't tell him about the mat. His desk sits about 10' even with the front door which is where the stairs to the basement are located. I went out through the garage brought my 6' long box through the house, literally passed within about 2' of him and headed downstairs. Pretty sure he didn't see me. :D It's now leaning against the wall by the weight rack. My sister thinks I'll be busted, but he's really rather oblivious so we'll see how long it takes.

Judy I'm sure you are getting a lot of exercise while working. Great job getting in the upper body workout.

Valerie great job on the Rev'd Up Rumble, Perfect Pump and all the rest. She really does go heavy on that one. I'm certainly not matching her on some things. It's really hard to do anything for people like your sister. My Grandma finally ended up at a Memory Care facility after she fell and the hospital refused to release her to go home again. At 96 she was still living alone and woe be the person who tried to stop her from staying there. So, the hospital became the bad guy.

Carolyn great job on Cardio Slam and Fit Split Legs and Glutes!

Diane Sue, there are a number of things that I have no idea how dirt could get into/under them. Seems to defy physics. We are going up around 80 today. It was hardly 50 here yesterday. Too hot too soon for sure!

We mt biked this morning. they were actively logging on the road we use so had to detour and make it a little shorter. so 75 min rather than 95.

Carolyn you are smart to keep mint in a container. mint will take the whole yard if it gets loose, at least it will here. I had oregano until this last garden project so I'll look for some to plant on the deck. I found by keeping herbs on the deck I actually use them.

Cathy I had a worksheet for Perfect Pump but could not find it yesterday. I don't remember what weight I used before. on PP I take off at least 5 lbs from Cathe's weight for most exercises. I haven't done any heavier weight workouts in a while, so stayed conservative. I feel OK today without any particular sore spots so I estimated right on weight level. too funny ......with the mat hiding in plain sight! It might blend right into the decor and he wont notice at all.

with my sister that is likely the eventual outcome since she wont move. either that or her dumpy house will start falling down around her ears. no doubt in my mind that it needs to be re-plumbed and new wiring to get up to code. she left a message this morning with a new "problem". her bathroom scale stopped working and only says "lo". this is after she let it sit with a stack of magazines on it for a week. she cant figure out what could possibly be wrong. I almost don't want to call back and tell her to change the battery.....

Judy I had "your" salmon last night while DH had something else. I sure like that recipe.

Yesterday I did RWH Back, Shoulders & Biceps with Bonus Abs 1. I worked today and did a short Peloton ride this evening.

Valerie-I was planning on making that salmon this weekend. It really is a good recipe and works so well in the air fryer.

Cathy- That's great that you didn't have any side effects from the 2nd shot. No way could I have done any kind of workout the day after mine. I bet you will enjoy the new mat.

Carolyn-Nice job with Fit Split Legs & Glutes. I really need to do that one again. Yes, I think working at Home Depot counts as a workout most of the time, with all the walking and lifting. There are some days when it's not as busy that it doesn't seem that active but most days are non stop.

Diane Sue-It was cold and windy here yesterday but it got into the 80's today. Like Cathy said, it's a little early for it to be this hot here but it looks like it will get back into the 50's later this week.

did CDorner Cardio Kickboxing Hiit 32:57 minutes, heart rate 137/178, 186 calories, 2,104 steps. That is all I had time for. I got my grandson through a couple of assignments and was able to get in a short workout before zoom class. We stayed busy the rest of the day. The next days he has in class at school so it will just be my 13 year old granddaughter. I should be able to get in a decent workout those days. I really was not wild about most of the music. A couple of songs at the end were decent. I would have liked it other than she did those down to the floor and back up segments through it. She offered an alternative though. I swear most of her Hiit workouts has squat thrusts or something on the floor. She ends this one with some abs. I did like that it was a mix of kicking and boxing. Sometimes instructors seem more hung up on the boxing end of it. I really want to get some upper in and some stretching. We have storms again tonight and tomorrow.

I am just waiting for my grocery order to be delivered as I am next and I want to put them away before I start my workout.

Valerie, I am sorry your sister does not even try. I imagine if Gertie could she would do it :) :p She figured out quickly that if I go through the farm door, that she can slide it open and follow. The master suite and office has a farm door separating it from the living area. How can your sister not know that the scale needs a battery? That is ridiculous. Maybe if you don't call her back she will eventually figure it out? Has she always been that way?
I need to check out the salmon recipe. I have some sockeye salmon in my order today. I should pot some herbs since I have all of this counter space and walls on the patio area. My FIL had mint in his planter by the front door and it was all over the place. Speaking of that my daughter bought me over a bunch of basil roots and all once. She was trying to get rid of it because it was uncontrollable. I froze some of it, and it looks ugly frozen. but still works in soups etc.. Things cooked. I threw the rest out when we moved because I did not think it would hold up in baggies in transport and getting the freezer back cold.

Judy, nice work on RWH and the Peloton ride. I will go back and find your recipe.

Cathy, that is true about dirt. Like, how can it filter into a cabinet that is rarely opened, but when you do open it it has dust in it. I am glad the second Moderna vaccine went well. I always feel guilty when I buy some odd piece of equipment or item for myself. My husband tells me he does not get it. Why should I feel that way. I guess it is because I feel I am wasting money on non necessities? I do the same thing with things. He does not care. He purchases things he wants. He has all kinds of things he looks at on Amazon. I delete a lot of what I look at unless I am "really wanting it" But, still I hold back purchasing. It is sort of funny, you slipping by him without him noticing. I thought about the mat, then thought, why? I have two mats and one extra large pebbled mat, and puzzle mats. I threw away one of the large pebbled mats. I do not use them and they are space hogs. I threw away a free mat I got with a beach body workout that was awful and I am not sure why I hung on so long. My shoes would dig in and pieces of the black mat would roll off. Anyway, Gertie would share the mat and it would not give me extra mat space. Would however fix the turning the mat for different directional moves.

Carolyn, it is nice having a nice area to go outside. The townhouse would have been sitting between two buildings on the side walk. Not real conducive to enjoying nature. I have made so many trips to Lowes since we moved here. It is the closest store of that nature. It used to be Home Depot all of the time. I need to make another trip as when we went this weekend I forgot more LED light bulbs and drawer organizers for the master bath.

This is I did Strong Body Stacked Sets Upper Body which was 37 minutes and 186 calories burned. My average heart rate was 118 and maximum heart rate was 143.

Cathy, that’s great that you had no side effects from your shot. I’m impressed that you came home and did Live Lower Body Core Sweat. That’s funny that your husband hasn’t noticed the new mat. My husband would probably be the same way. He would walk past it and never notice that there is something different in the workout area.

Judy, great job with RWH Back, Shoulders, and Biceps and the Peloton ride.

Diane Sue, nice work with CDORNER Kickboxing HiiT. Your grandson must be happy to have in person school instead of Zoom. Have you tried freezing your extra basil in ice cube trays with water? It helps the basil keep it’s color. Lowe’s is more convenient than Home Depot for us too.

Valerie, your sister sounds like she has executive functioning and problem solving issues in addition to wanting attention. I have read that mint can be very invasive and take over everything. I can remember it being in our yard when I was a child.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Today I did CDorner Fast Step Aerobics JT/Brittany music 60 minutes, 302 calories, 5,897 steps. I also did CDorner full body stretch, 22 minutes, 31 calories, 77/91 heart rate, 50 steps. Total time 81 minutes, 333 calories, 5,947 steps. I really did not care for the music. Come to think of it I think I only used one Justin Timberlake song that I had with a workout music I had recorded at one time to do with my own work out. I never purchased or downloaded a Brittany music piece. The workout was fun though.
I will probably try to do a total body weight workout tomorrow. I checked out the CDorner Upper and cardio interval workout that she just did, but decided no on it. It starts out with push ups to side planks and there are burpees in it. It would hit the shoulders a lot wit pullovers and overhead press or front raise. No arms alone moves.
Maybe the Raw workout that was recently put up or a couple of them put together. I feel safer with Kelly's upper body. I was looking at my Garmin app and history and I have been doing a lot of cardio and stretching with a day or two of strength slipped in each week. I am just making sure I do not feel any pain from my strength workouts. Pain and soreness are two different things. Odd that my abs were sore this morning from the two days of abs I got from Chris Dorner.

Carolyn, good idea putting the basil in and ice cube tray with water. I will have to remember that. My grandson was really looking forward to class today. He was a bit worried that there would be no outside recess because it was going to rain today. It poured this morning, but seems to have cleared off.
The Lowes by us has much nicer lumber choices than Home Depot does.
Nice job with Strong Body Stacked Sets Upper Body today.

I love fresh basil. groceries here sell it in little pots or with roots in dirt and water surrounded by a clear cellophane wrap so you can take it home and plant it. our growing season is not long for basil so buying "starts' make it ready to use in april. I plant seed and also buy starts. I love the stuff! mint, not as thrilled with mint. it grows like gangbusters here and spreads with under ground runners. many kinds of mint, not sure if they are all similar. I like it a little in a few things but careful how I use it. DH isn't a big mint fan. Tarragon is the one I cant stand. UGH. hate it. remember a company dinner at a fancy restaurant in SF where everything was loaded with tarragon. I never ate it again. thyme and oregano I'm happy with dried. we will be traveling for some longer trips this summer

my sister has always been clueless and belligerent, a bad combo. voices opinions loudly and tactlessly. there are reasons she cant get along with anyone.
talked to her today and she had not a clue it would be the battery. didnt even know there WAS a battery. yipes! Yep, Gertie would run rings around her.

Did a hike/ski for 3.5 hours this morning. nice out and saw some bear tracks but no bear.

Last edited:
I had major issues trying to post yesterday. kept giving me the "oops" try again later message for no reason.

basil in cooler temps does not taste or smell like the warm summer version. it is less intense. still nice but at about 20%.
we are going to do a road ride this morning on the regular trail.

in the short term need to deal with my sister again. find out if she managed to get the battery replaced on her scale, and also if she did anything with the toothbrush. really, telling her it was likely the battery "she had no idea" the scale had a battery. AARGH!!! How else could it work? Gertie, please step in here! not hard to see why her husband divorced her, her kids abandoned her and why she fails at everything. I thought the toothbrush was relatively safe purchase since she very recently asked me to shop for a sonicare for her. decided not to spend the money on one, soI got it for her b-day.
carolyn she definitely has thought processing problems but she is also lazy and undisciplined. she seems to spend 75% of her waking hours trying to find cookie and cake recipes using splenda so she can eat junk food. then cant understand why she cant lose weight and why her diabetes is not as well controlled.
Off to do a ride.

Today I did KCM’s Cardio Quick Fix, both workouts, for 45 minutes and 316 calories burned. My average heart rate was 131 and maximum heart rate was 155. Our new grill from Costco was delivered yesterday. I think we will be pleased with the purchase.

Diane Sue, nice job with CDORNER Fast Step Aerobics and Full Body Stretch. I don’t think that I would enjoy the Brittany/JT music either.

Valerie, I often get the basil in pots from Sprouts or the Fresh Market if I am not going to the gardening store. We needed a few things from Lowe’s, so decided to get them there. I love going there this time of year when they have so many plants out. I’m not really a gardener, but I get inspired to try a few things when I see them displayed and they are so beautiful. I have given up on growing tomatoes since the squirrels get more than I do. I hadn’t been to Lowe’s or Home Depot since July.

Hello to Judy, Cathy, and Deb.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.