Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 4/18

Traildoggie

Cathlete
Good morning tho its now afternoon. we did a road tide this morning and went early. its the tulip festival. what used to be a small local event has become a crowded chaotic nightmarish traffic zoo. we have a route that does not go near the tulips and sticks to farm country, most of it was quiet and normal. the last mile or so was busier than it usually is, but we don't need to make turns or cross intersections and can ride the road shoulder. mostly our route works. we took a chance going on a sunny sunday but we went fairly early and had a nice ride. about 25 miles, 2 hrs 7 minutes. this goes on for a month or so until the tulips get decapitated to officially end the event. week days are better until this is over.

Hello Ladies. This morning I did Jane Adams Gentle Yoga Morning Energy practice for 18 minutes. Other than that, it’s a rest day for me.

Valerie, nice job with getting an early start with your ride today. I think most outside events are even more crowded than usual.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

This weekend has been all Peloton for me. Yesterday I did an hour ride and today I rode for 90 minutes.

Valerie-Great ride this morning.

Carolyn-Nice job with Gentle Yoga.

Hi to Deb, Diane Sue, Cathy & Lori

judy they are absolutely lovely! they do daffodils earlier, include lots of lesser known bulbs in the plantings. used to be easily accessible and busy but not total insanity. the last few years were insanity. this year they are doing some sort of timed appointments to control traffic. we stopped riding in the area during festival time because drivers are distracted and I don't want to end up as a hood ornament! the area is a farming area with narrow roads not built for busy traffic. its great for riding since its not usually too busy but april is the exception. my aunt used to live here and it was terrible for local people who need to get to a store or medical appointments. traffic got gridlocked. we saw some heavy traffic yesterday but we map out a route that avoids most.

has anyone seen any of the movies nominated for oscars? I've seen a few and might get in a few this week but overall, nothing exciting. watched Midnight sky last night(george clooney) normally I'd watch him read the phonebook but this didn't do well on home screen. might have been a different experience in a theater but TV didn't do well with special effects. it was depressing. Nomadland was so-so. I like Frances mccdormand but ... depressing. saw trial of chicago 7 long ago and dont remember it very well. I realize a year with no movie theaters open was no incentive to produce big showy films. I dont plan on watching the award show as none of them have been entertaining this year.

This morning I did Tabatacise, Tabata One and Two and Core 2. That was 38 minutes and 212 calories burned. My average heart rate was 120 and maximum heart rate was 150. Today is our wedding anniversary. No real celebrating other than grilling the steaks that my husband requested. I ordered a new gas grill from Costco, so I guess that’s our gift to each other. We have a natural gas grill that is 23 years old and a Napoleon propane grill that is 19 years old. The propane grill was one of the items that my daughter won on The Price is Right when she won that truck. They both need complete refurbishment inside and out which can get to be expensive so we opted for a new one. My husband’s nephew is coming by tomorrow to take away both of the old grills.

Judy, nice job with the Peloton rides. How is the closet project coming along?

Valerie, those tulips are beautiful. We watched One Night in Miami a couple of months ago, but I haven’t seen any others yet. I don’t enjoy award shows, so I know I won’t look at more than a few minutes of it.

Hello to Deb, Cathy, Diane Sue, and Lori.

Reactions: WD
This morning I did RWH Chest, Shoulders & Triceps with Bonus Abs 1.

Carolyn-Happy Anniversary! Nice job with Tabatacise. I have that on my workouts to do soon list.
We finished the closet project this weekend. We love it. It's a huge improvement. We are going to do something similar to our downstairs closet. It's not very big so it won't be as time consuming as the bedroom closet was.

Valerie-It sounds like a good idea to avoid riding during the festival. I haven't seen any of the movies. The only thing I've watched in the past year was The Crown.

Have to play catch up, but first - NEW workouts and bands! And they are already done filming. Love the backgrounds and colors. Doesn't seem to be on the website yet, but the info is in the weekly newsletter.

So on Friday I changed things up and did Boxing Hiit Express because I needed to workout in Derek's room as they were continuously going through my workout space putting in the new water softener and tank. Saturday was the step combos from IMAX 3. Yesterday I did Live Upper Body Shred and that I found challenging. It's pretty fast paced and I figured out really quickly that I was not going to keep up with her on weights. My triceps are so sore today. Then this morning, they were supposed to come back and hook up the outdoor faucets to the new system, so I cleared out more space in Derek's room and did My Finished Step workout. While I was doing that they called to say they needed to reschedule to tomorrow. Unless they come before I start, I may have to flip tomorrow with Wednesday because I really don't want to haul a bunch of weights up and down the stairs.

Valerie glad you were able to get a ride in yesterday. Holland Michigan has a Tulip Festival every year, but I've never gone. They take the cities name seriously. It is really beautiful.

Carolyn great job with the yoga and putting all those cardio workouts together with core. Sounds like a short but very challenging workout! Happy Anniversary!!

Judy great job getting in the Peloton rides!

Last edited:
Today I did Raw Heavy Bag and Arms, 64 minutes, heart rate 124/158, 275 calories, 2,740 steps. I have done this one before. It alternates heavy bag or shadow boxing with biceps done 12 reps 5 sets and lower body breaks then the same sequences for triceps overhead extensions. In the middle she did clean and press for 5 sets, but I did clean and curl. Next time I think that I will do kickbacks instead of overhead extensions. I tried to keep keep the biceps curls like she did in the shoulder neck issues workout. This really isolates more. I started with 15's and dropped to 10's because I could hardly lift the last few reps. Weird how that is.
That is all I had time for. School took awhile. My grandson and I walked up the street to our playground. It is really nice and it was just him and I. We had to come back when I saw Whole Foods had us on the next stop. I probably could have just looked up the street and seen them when they did the drop off. It was nice to get outside and the weather was beautiful. Yesterday was a family belated Easter and birthday get together at my son's house. Then we went to see my granddaughter's first home they bought. She graduates law school next month.

Valerie, I hate traffic and avoid it as much as possible. The tulip fields are so beautiful and I can see why people would want to see them. I have not seen much of anything worth watching as far as movies. We have rented some that were supposed to be still in theaters that we thought would be good and they were awful. We never watch those awards shows. I guess you can tell, I don't watch much tv. My husband has it on all of the time when he is up and home, but it is news or old reruns, and movies we have purchased digitally. I can't stand to watch shows over and over. I need some clean humor which is not likely to happen.
I am not sure I am real happy with the washer and dryer here. Particularly the washer. I cannot get it to wash in cold water. I use delicate which is supposed to be cold and when I take the clothes out they are warm. It worries me that I am going to ruin some clothing. I wondered if the cold was not on all of the way, but the pipes the water comes through have a lever that pulls forward and backward. Not the usual faucet handles. Both have an arrow in the same place and seem set identically and it says off on it.

Carolyn, happy anniversary. We had ours last month, but we were busy unpacking and I think we ordered pizza. I am sure that you will enjoy the new grill. I have only went out and looked over the grill we have. I would imagine it cost a lot as it fits into the built in granite and rock wall around the patio and has a burner for something else. I had to order a grill brush. I threw the one we were using away.

Judy, nice work getting in Peleton rides. I guess I missed that you were doing something with your closet. Did you add more storage spaces? I am trying to figure out what to do with mine that are in the two workout rooms. One houses my art table along with the spin bike and tread climber, also a new heavybag that has sand in the base since we got rid of the 100# heavy bag and stand. I have the plastic totes full of scrapbooking, painting supplies, craft stuff, etc in the closet in that room. It all needs organized. I stuffed my least worn out of season shoes in that closet.

Cathy, I used to try to do cardio and weight intervals with my tread climber and dreaded taking my dumbbells downstairs and to the other end of the house to do it. I saw the pictures of new workouts someone had posted. I have not had time to look at the latest newsletters. I have one of those big loop bands I had purchased when doing Tracey Staehle's Bootcamp workouts. I did have 3 of them, but I gave the really heavy ones to my grandson to use and he never bought them back.

I did Stacked upper body and abs from X train. we've had lovely nice weather so I have done mostly outdoor workouts.

diane sue, I was surprised on my washer and dryer that the temps were as "conservative" as they are. even "Hot" is definitely not. it feels barely luke warm to me. I can pause mine after the cycle has started (I always forget something) ... I've felt the water temp and it was warm, not hot. the dryer is much the same way. clothes come out warm but not temps that would shrink anything. both my new sets are like this, an LG set and samsung. if yours have a "pause" button, give it a try.

I seldom like movies/series that get awards. I used to enjoy awards shows but usually just sections not the whole thing. usually I like things nominated that didn't win. the "best picture" has been disappointing lately. (did you ever sit thru Roma?? ARRGH!) I use nominations as lists of what might be interesting things to watch. I usually don't like "comedy" at all. some stand up comedy has gotten so foul and raunchy. there has to to be something interesting, clever, funny. inserting endless 'f" bombs every other word doesn't cut it ... tedious. men started this trend but plenty of women picked up on it.

Carolyn congrats on your anniversary. if you cant fix it yourself, its hard to get anything fixed now. it seems that if it wears out or doesnt work, toss it and get a new one. sad.

Last edited:
This morning I did Lower Body Blast (not part of a series) which works the lower body in every way! That was 59 minutes and 273 calories burned. My average heart rate was 113 and maximum heart rate was 164.

Judy, nice job with RWH Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps and Bonus Abs.

Cathy, I’m going to hold my opinion on the new workouts with those heavy bands. I have similar similar bands that came with Michele Dozois’ Peak Fit program. They are really hard for me to use. I am curious as to how Cathe will use them. Great job with your workouts. Yes, Tabatacise is hard. I can usually manage two or three of the Tabatas, but no more than that. I modify most of the high impact to low or lower impact.

Diane Sue, good job with Raw Heavy Bag and Arms. That’s great that you can walk to the playground with your grandson. I would love a built in grill and outdoor kitchen area but we have a deck instead of patio. We could have added a patio, but I don’t see that happening now. One of our neighbors has a lovely outdoor kitchen. She bought an extra lot when she bought her home 25 years ago and has added some beautiful outdoor amenities.

Valerie, great job with Stacked Sets Upper Body and X Train Abs. You are so right about having things repaired. It’s hard to find someone to do things like refurbishing the grill. We used to have a few places close by that did that kind of work, but they have all gone out of business.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

This morning I did Love Me Some Cardio Kickboxing. Worked out upstairs again as they came back and hooked up the outside faucets. They still have to come back and cover up some exposed wires. Not sure why they wouldn't have in the first place but DH had to ask them to do it. It's not likely that they will cause a problem just seems like it would be easy to catch them with something or that a cat will decide to play with them. My triceps are still crazy sore from a few days ago. They are the part of my upper body that gets sore the most.

Diane Sue do you think a heavy bag makes a lot of difference? I'm thinking about it for a future purchase, but not sure if it would really make enough of a difference. I've never used one. Great job on the heavy bag workout! That's great that you have a playground so nearby.

Valerie great job on the Stacked Upper Body and Abs! I'll admit that I watch almost only comedies. Right now I'm rewatching Big Bang Theory. Can't remember the last movie I watched, but I've never been one to watch movies that are up for rewards.

Carolyn great job on Lower Body Blast! That's one I haven't used much, but it is a really good workout.

We are back from a ride, 2 hrs 10 min on our regular summer trail. road bikes. rode on sunday too, so I have a sore crotch. road bikes get me WAY more than mt bikes. I also get numb hands from road rides. I need to mix up riding to keep it from getting too wearing. I have no clue how anyone rides for 100 miles. my legs would do it, but my other "parts" would rebel long before .

so funny how different we are. I can do triceps work forever and never get sore. mine aren't particularly well defined but I always do more reps or heavier weight and still don't get sore.

we haven't had 'regular" TV for decades now, and I can't enjoy sit coms or whatever they're called now. I don't know exactly what it is, but I don't enjoy them. I love dramas and documentaries, nature things, and drama series. like them much better than movies. movies always seem rushed to me, but I do research some so when I do watch one, its something I enjoy. enjoying Handmaids Tale right now, in expectation of a new season release soon.

DH is quite good at fixing things but the issue is usually replacement parts. with nothing made here in the US, hardly anything is available. even big equipment like mowers and tillers it gets hard to find parts. chain saws are the exception.

we don't have a long enough season for much outdoor cooking IMO. plenty of people do it, but as I've said, DH can't cook and I'd rather do indoor. we do a few things on the barbecue but not that much. a nice feature to have available if you use it often.

I never liked Tabatas. I'm more of an endurance exerciser, prefer 2 hours of lower level versus half an hour of intense.

I guess we got the cold weather today too! I just turned up the heat as it was set for 64. Still trying to figure out this wifi thermostat. I guess I should go to the app and see if I can change it. I went into settings on the thermostat which took some figuring on how to get there, and I don't know exactly what I did could it asked change? But it would not let me turn the dial very far to move the temp.. I wish there was a manual here. It is a nest thermostat so I will have to look for one I guess.
Today I did CDorner #108 Step hip hop, 60 minutes with lots of stops as I had to stand in the kitchen through zoom which was 25 minutes into my workout. I backed it up a couple of minutes when I went back to it, still other stops. 284 calories, heart rate 125/159. I then did an older CDorner mobility in front of the fireplace, 23 minutes, heart rate 91/112, 53 calories. I have done this one before and modified the squat/knee turn/ roll back and back onto feet. I also did not do the push up through another group of moves. I just did an up dog. My right shoulder really hurts today and I laid on it all night. It is the front of that shoulder I have problems with. Total time today was 83 minutes, 337 calories, 6059 steps.

Judy, thank you. We have stuff like that in the two master closets. They are huge walk in closets. One we have the safe in and it is kind of a storage area. The other my husband is using. I am using the two guest rooms. I wonder if I could do any of that. Drawers would be nice. I have shelving top and midway on two sides with hanging top and bottom, but I have a rolling drawer cart (plastic) and some baskets with my folded clothes in one and the other is not organized at all as it is all craft stuff and containers of seasonal clothing. I put a metal rack in one end I set purses and shoes on. It is not a nice looking set up in those.

I will come back in awhile. Have some things that need tending.

Valerie, that seems to be the way this washer is, just warm. You cannot choose hot water either. It only uses hot for cleaning the washer itself. I can pause and open it to add things as long as it is not spinning which would come later anyway. I never can see how these save energy when the length of time they things run is so long. Unlike the washer that I just gave to my Daughter and her Husband that uses plenty of water, most cycles are 45 to 50 minutes max, and it does not tell you you need to clean your washer. You could add extra cleaning time and even more water for certain things. I am still not a real fan of the so called HE machines. This one does have more water for washing than the one that I was happy to get rid of. Sometimes my clothes still seemed like some of them were dry and they just did not smell clean. Also, I like washing my whites in hot water and there is no cycle for that. I pulled out the manual today as most of them are here in a box and have never even been taken out of the plastic. It was not much help. I guess you can set it up with your cell phone to set things or to diagnose something. I have too many wifi things to figure out. I just sat here to figure out setting the thermostat with my phone as it keeps taking the temp down to 64 which I am sure that you would like, but I am cold. I turn the dial up and it holds the temp I put it on for 2 hours and goes back where it was. I let temps drop at night because we have an electric blanket, which my husband uses his side a lot. I often do not because I wake up in the middle of the night sweating.
I have a habit lately of checking labels and trying to find non China made products and it is near impossible. I do not like that we are relying that heavily on another country. I would imagine even getting parts would be difficult. I can enjoy something like the old Seinfield shows, but today's sitcoms are pretty lame and they try to hard to be humorous or there is just no intelligence to them.

Carolyn, I gathered Cathe's bands were different? I think it said cloth bands. I know the ones I had were pretty hard to use and I only used the lightest weight one. One I could barely move so I had no problem loaning it to my grandson. They might be good. Tracey Staehle used them for squats, squat press, and that sort of thing as well as other moves. I am the one that usually does the grilling, and I do not like clean up so it happens once in awhile. When family comes I sometimes get my son in law to do it. I may use it for family day next month. If I get it cleaned. Most things have not been used much if at all. The fireplace on the patio does not look like wood has ever been burned in it. I am curious why there is a bag of some kind of rock under the grill in it's cabinet. Do they use rock for something? I am kind of afraid of using it. I am so used to charcoal grilling.

Cathy, I think you get some extra muscle work when hitting the bag through the core as well as arms. Also some instructors have you doing bag kicks etc.. The impact is different than wearing weighted gloves or dumbbells. Or Kelly Coffey uses egg weights a lot for those who do not have a heavy bag. She says they feel different than dumbbells, but I did not run out and buy some. I like comedy if it is good and not full of gross stuff. I like Big Bang Theory. Our family has made jokes a lot about the chair with the critter living in it. Our cable company installed the cable wires and put up the box and I was surprised when I went out a couple of days later and the box was hanging open with the wires all sticking out. I pushed it shut as tight as I could get it. I guessed they were in a hurry to go or something.

Diane Sue, I’m not sure what the rock would be used for with your grill. Neither of ours had anything like that, but they both are very old. Grills have changed so much in recent years and there are so many options.

Today I did Lift it HiiT it Legs then XTrain Bonus Barre and Bonus Rear Shoulders (from XTrain Legs). Tonight I did 1 hour of very easy riding on the Peloton. I have hair and chiropractor appointments tomorrow then I'm back to work Thursday. We got a couple of inches of snow tonight and have a freeze warning until Thursday morning.

Carolyn-Great job with Lower Body Blast. That is a really good workout that I need to do more often.
I am curious about Cathe's new bands too.

Diane Sue-Nice job with the CDorner Step workout. Having the drawers in the closet is really nice. We have more space over all and it feels much more organized than how we had it before.

Valerie-Great ride! I can't wait to get outside. We haven't had regular TV for a long time either. It's been ages since I watched a sitcom. I've always enjoyed documentaries too.

Cathy-Nice job with Love Me Some Cardio Kickboxing. That sounds like a good one.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.