Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 3/26/2023

Good morning. Judy, thanks for starting us off this week. This morning I did my usual yoga routine. We have more stormy weather today, but have been spared the worst of it.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Finally got a really good nights sleep! This morning I did Boss Loops Glutes and Core.
I did go walk along the bay for a bit this morning, but the wind was pretty brutal, sunny does not always equal warm. LOL My main goal wasn't working anyway, I was rock hunting. I had discovered last fall that there is a segment of the old road along the bay that got washed out years ago that still have a couple areas with rocks the lake threw across it. So, I picked up some more unusual ones. While I have always wanted, and at 62 still do not have, a rock tumbler, these are the types that you would want to tumble. These are more in the category of unusual with holes and other odd markings. Meeting up with Derek later to do his taxes. I also am doing a FaceTime with DH and Nick later. We were originally supposed to do it Friday, before I ended up traveling and Nick switched shifts and was working. I may get out and walk again later, we'll see what happens. It's also the night of my families weekly chat, but I had warned them I might not be on it.

Valerie sorry to hear that you trip got delayed. I hope things clear up soon so you can go. Great job with the bike, therapy, tricep and core work.

Carolyn nice job with the yoga. Glad you are being spared the worst of the storms.

Judy great job with the yoga, upper body work and Peloton rides.

Today I did Step Sync, combos one and two. That was 33 minutes and 196 calories burned. My average heart rate was 120 and maximum heart rate was 139.

Cathy, that’s wonderful that you finally got a good nights sleep. Great job with Boss Loops Glutes and Core.

Hello to Valerie, Judy, and Diane Sue.

we did a load of garden work yesterday. nothing too difficult, but I got pretty tired after. have not been sleeping well. sleep around 8 and slept until 7 this morning. nice out today so hope to ride something after it warms up this afternoon. when we get a clear night, it gets cold. froze lightly over night. we are talking to our neighbor this morning and finding out if we can get to our house after all the snow and storms this weekend. definitely not reasonable driving weather this past weekend and there was a power out and an internet problem so that is why none of our electronics are working. whether its electronic or more we hope to find out. they drove over, went in house for us. all is working ok even if electronics output is not. furnace is running. big relief!. so we will plan on going tomorrow.

Last edited:
I did Boxing Hiit Express this morning and then packed up, went for a walk along the bay and headed home. Really hated to leave as it was so beautiful this morning. Cold, but sunny and barely any breeze. The Great Lakes didn't freeze over nearly as much as usual this year, but they close down the Sault Locks to do repairs for a time each winter and shipping stops. Those opened Saturday and the first ore ship was at the ore dock in Marquette this morning. Just between my crossing Friday and noon today, the open water at the straits increased greatly. Doesn't mean there won't be more snow and cold, but definitely signs of warmer weather coming.

Valerie safe travels. Hope your electronics problem is easily solved, definitely good that everything else is working. I hope you were able to get a ride in today.

Carolyn great job with Step Sync.

cathy its likely one of the unplug/ wait / replug kind of things. it's happened before but not to the thermostat. a smart one. there is now an app that we can get that will do it remotely. we will see.

did a ride this afternoon, 15 miles, an hour and fifteen minutes plus my therapy. I have been surprised at how good a core workout my therapy is. its not that intense but every day adds up. tomorrow is drive day.

We will be in Indiana for most of the week. I'll probably use this as an active rest week but I might use the hotel gym if I get a chance.

Carolyn-Great job with your yoga and the Step Sync combos.

Cathy-Great job with Boss Loops Glutes and Core and Boxing Hiit Express. That's awesome that you got a good nights sleep.

Valerie-Great job with your ride and therapy. Hope you have a good trip today.

Hi to Diane Sue

Reactions: WD
Just did Pyramid Pump Upper Body. Three days away and the cats are all being extra obnoxious today. I'm told Chester never touched the baby's breath in my current arrangement while I was gone and this morning, he jumped up on the counter in front of me and started biting off pieces. I had to take Mopsy back upstairs before I could work out because he kept following me around and grabbing my clothes, that was after he got to the bathroom after I had closed the door and tries to shred it to get in. Flopsy knocked a water bottle off a stand this morning trying to go back and forth in an effort to get to me. There was more but I'll spare you. Hopefully they settle down to just a normal level of obnoxiousness soon.

Listened to a really interesting interview with Elaine LaLanne the other day. Jack's wife. She just turned 97.

Judy and Valerie safe travels.

Today I did P30 Perfect Pump Upper Body and the Extended Stretch. That was 50 minute and 214 calories burned. My average heart rate was 121 and maximum heart rate was 158. We went out to take care of a simple matter at the county tag office which turned out to be more complicated than it should have been. Fewer people working, new self service kiosks, and trainees. It was very frustrating for something that should have been a quick errand.

Valerie, I’m not surprised that the therapy exercises are good for the core, but it’s an added bonus for the work that you are doing. I hope that your drive is going well.

Cathy, great job with Boxing HiiT Express and Pyramid Pump Upper Body. It sounds like your cats are punishing you for going away for a few days.

Judy, I’m sorry for what you and your family are going through.

Hello to Diane Sue.

drive was ok just long. we left early but not early enough and got into rush hour backups for the first hour. 6 am isnt early enough to leave. rest of the drive was fine but its 12 hours. I am so tired today! can't sleep well after that, so jumpy and jittery from the car motion its hard to wind down. over tired.

in addition my sister had a serious melt down. she was supposed to get a colonoscopy. they were not accurate on which of her normal meds she could continue to take and took her off 2 that caused major problems leading to two big seizures. she fell hard and split open her chin, somewhere. she does not own a mirror to look under her chin. OMG. not even a little cosmetic mirror. I had talked to her the night before ad she had not been able to sleep because of the med change but the seizures did it and she cancelled the procedure. that was the right thing to do so its rebooked for 6 weeks from now. they wont anesthetize her if she is not controlled. I am going to try and talk to her primary care doc and see if there is some state agency that can assist getting her to senior housing with some support services. she has no concept of how to sell her house and move. daunting at any age but there is no way in the world she can do this herself. she cant even get to a walk in clinic to get her chin looked at until thursday. then its too late to stitch it if it needs it.

Did Pyramid Pump Lower Body this morning.

Valerie I'm glad you made it there safely. Rush hours start so early in some places. I thought I left early from Fort Worth, and while it wasn't peak traffic, there was still some stop and go for awhile. The situation with your sister is so tough. Hard enough to deal with people not capable of helping themselves and even further from a distance. Hopefully her doctor will give you some guidance. I know that it wasn't until the hospital refused to release my Grandma to go home alone, that my cousin was able to get her into a home. It's hard to get people help when they still have the capacity to fight it.

Carolyn great job with PP Upper Body and stretch.

No workout today. The HVAC company was here soon after 8:00 to start the installation. We now have two new energy efficient systems. It was definitely time to do this.

Valerie, I’m glad that you made it okay. A drive that long is hard on the body. There is no getting ahead of rush hour here anymore. Rush hour never ends!
I‘m very sorry about your sister. I hope that you can help her with getting assistance. She is in a very unsafe situation.

Cathy, great job with Pyramid Pump Lower Body.

Hello to Judy and Diane Sue.

we went xc skiing today and it was very nice. it was fairly early and snow was good but it started warming up above 32 and we headed back before it got sticky and nasty. grooming is done long ago and fresh unconsolidated snow can get pretty terrible. saw lots of critters, elk, deer bison pronghorns anda moose from a long way off.

cathy she is still able to fight leaving her house although she admits she has to change things. its a total dump. an example, her bathtub doesn't drain. she has to bail out the water with a bucket into the toilet. shower has not worked in decades. no idea what other horrors are buried in there. the place needs to be gutted and totally remodeled. I have no clue how it can sell . she has it cluttered and stuffed with crap. somewhere between hoarding and extremely messy. she cant even leave the house so it could be "shown" and it wuld need cleaning out before that would happen. still thinks she can look up real estate in the yellow pages. now her washer/dryer are dying. I doubt this new colonoscopy appt will work out either but she has until may to think about it.

we knew 6 am was not "early" but we live out of town a ways. usually the first part of the drive is fast at 6 am. this time it was the worst part, and the parts that are usually congested were decent. its why we usually go on a weekend. yes its rush hour darn near 24/7. we will be driving back this weekend. we knew thi would be a short trip mainly to get the electronics working. just needed to be rebooted due to the internet outage last weekend.

ETA we went a walk/hike right from our house. a good 2 hours with a lot of uphill and down plus a lot of uneven snow making it more challlenging. most not plowed, some road, some trail. no traffic on the road this time of year and not plowed. not enough for snowshoes but a little much for plain boots.

Last edited:
This morning I did Perfect Pump Lower Body for 35 minutes and 172 calories burned. My average heart rate was 119 and maximum heart rate was 167.

Valerie, nice job with XC skiing and seeing a variety of wildlife. It great that your electronics problem was easy to solve.

Hello to Cathy, Judy, and Diane Sue.

Today was shopping day, and it was not smooth. LOL I had an alert when I woke up that there was an accident on the highway and the NB lanes that I use, were closed. Okay, I just get off at the exit before it and take the road towards Lansing that was the only thing we had until I was an adult. I get barely, if that, a mile from the exit and the semi ahead of me hits its brakes. I get to the top of the hill and we are at a dead stop. Now when there isn’t a semi stopped in front of you, you can see the exit from there. It takes 40 minutes for me to get onto the exit, and then on to the road. I will never understand why it took that long. then I pass the accident and a semi, fell on its side, but landed on the guardrail in such a way that it ripped it open and there were boxes all down the hillside. That would not be a fast clean up. Hit a few more snags along the way, extra stops, so I was gone quite a bit longer than usual.

Valerie that sounds like a very cool xc skiing outing with all the wildlife and a great hike.

Carolyn great job with PP Lower Body. I’m sure you’re glad to have the new HVAC systems.

Today I did CDorner Cardio kickboxing sweaty hiit style, 37 minutes, heartrate 135/161, 200 calories, 2,597 steps. I followed with CDorner Legs and Glutes Booty Bands (fabric bands) 24 minutes, 76 calories, heart rate 102/130 heart rate, 682 steps. I finished with Coffey Fit Raw Athletic Stretch 2, 29 minutes, 41 calories. Total time was 90 minutes, 317 calories, 3,279 steps.
We mostly relaxed and hung out at the hotel. Our room had a balcony overlooking the lake. A bit chilly though. We went outside and looked out at the lake eating ice-cream and we were soon shivering. Some women came out and said they could not believe we were eating ice cream. We had some great meals. The chef at the hotel made some great dishes. I had a beet and chickpea falafel for lunch one of the days. We did go out to the Wax museum and drove around. We would have liked to go to the Sight and Sound Esther show, but unfortunately Sunday and Monday were not open and Tuesday we had to leave.
My husband is still on vacation so I am not getting on as much this week. We have a family funeral Saturday. I will try to come back and read posts.

Cathy, it sounds like you had a long shopping day. I hate getting stopped like that in traffic. Amazing that Elaine Lalane is still alive. I will have to look at the video.

Carolyn, nice job on Perfect Pump Lower Body. The length is good.

Valerie, nice work getting the walk/hike for 2 hours in. I had to log into the internet on my new blu-ray player a couple of weeks ago. It was like I had to start from the original set up. The only thing I could think is that one of the power outages caused it. While we were gone, I kept getting messages that my furnace was starting up and stopping 16 minutes later. I have had the experience every season change though so I knew that it just got cold enough to start up for a few minutes. I am sorry that your sister had all of that happen. It does sound like she really needs something else. Hard to imagine that there is no mirror in the house. I hope something can be worked out.

Hi to Judy.

This morning I did Cardio Quick Fix, workout one, for 26 minutes and 181 calories burned. My average heart rate was 130 and maximum heart rate was 145. Our electricity will be off for a while as the electrician works here so I tried to get in a short cardio early. Comcast is working on the network upgrades today, so our internet will be out soon. A good day for housework I think.

Cathy, that was quite a shopping trip adventure.

Diane Sue, I’m glad that you had a nice vacation. Good job with your workout.

Hello to Valerie and Judy. The electrician is about to turn off the power. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Today I did the shoulders, triceps and biceps from Cross Train Express. I'd forgotten how tough those weight segments were. I was able to match Cathe for most things, but a fair amount of the biceps-not so much. Actually got my Mopsy to the vet today. He was REALLY unhappy. I managed to get him in the laundry room, smallest closed off area in the house, quick wrapped him in a towel to get his feet/CLAWS, and shoved hard a few times as he was fighting me. Once in he made sure I knew how mad he was my yowling at full volume. Fortunately he quieted early in the ride, though he revived long enough to make sure everyone in the waiting room knew how he felt. To look at him, he's just a big cat, and he weighed in at 17.6 lbs! But when the vet examined him she declared him overweight. Fortunately nice weather usually slims Chester down, so I'm hoping it does the same for him, as they spend a lot more time in motion outside.

Diane Sue not only is she still alive, she works, and still exercises. Great job with the Cardio kickboxing sweaty hiit style, Legs and Glutes Booty Bands and stretch. I'm glad you had a nice relaxing trip.

Carolyn nice job with Cardio Quick Fix. I hope the work they are doing goes smoothly.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.