Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 3/22

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Today I did LITE PHA 2, 50 minutes, 297 calories. One of my favorite PHA's

Valerie, I may be remembering incorrectly, but didn't your sister lose her dog, when it ran outside in the street etc? Did she have a second dog? Kylee has some stomach, gall bladder issue, that shows elevated numbers in her bloodwork for gall bladder, liver etc. They see something in her stomach, not moving. It has to be something new, because the last time she had this, once they kept her on IV's overnight, the "thing" that was in her stomach had moved out. Now there is something else. They want to do another test but need her to fast 18 hours, and they have to keep her the full day. The issue is that he is just trying to keep the absolute necessary staff, so he said he will call me when he can schedule someone that can assist him. He is not worried that whatever it is will cause a problem right now. Of course, I am VERY worried, which does not help my demeanor etc.

Carolyn, hope you had a very "restful" rest day. Great that you are continuing your stretching.

Diane Sue, good job on the Walk Strong workouts. Was your daughter in Florida? Good thing she is driving back. How long is her quarantine? I saw that some place in Indiana was having people sew masks for them. We really enjoyed the sunshine yesterday, pulled up a couple of benches in the yard and sat in the sun watching the dogs play. It wasn't that warm, we just bundled up. I felt a lot better after being out there for a while. You can probable get Frontline through Chewy. If it need a prescription, they contact your vet, get the approval, then ship it. I started doing that with Kylee's bladder meds. We were getting milk in glass bottles all the time too, until recently. The local dairy that did that was sold to a larger conglomerate, that uses plastic bottles. We thought the milk tasted better when kept in glass as well.

Hi to Judy, Lori

Take care,

Today I did Ellen Barrett’s Quick Cardio from the 7 Day Challenge. That was 15 minutes and 88 calories burned. Average heart rate was 121 and maximum heart rate was 137. After that I did Element Beginner Yoga with Alanna Zabel, the Stress Relief practice for 25 minutes. This is a slow restorative practice where the poses are held a bit longer.

Deb, nice job with LiTE PHA 2. That’s my favorite PHA also.

Hello to Valerie, Diane Sue, Judy, and Lori.

Deb, it was a new dog for her. she only had it a few weeks at most. she lost her previous dog a short time ago to heart issues, this was a new-to-her shelter dog. the dog ran out the front door while she was dealing with a amazon delivery. this same thing happened a short time before, the second time the dog didn't make it across the busy street. instantly killed. she has not said much about it since the dust-up over blaming the amazon driver. she has not gotten another dog. she has little money so I expect she will try again when she can afford it. she tries to take care of her pets but does not train the dogs. even basic sit, stay, come. they are unruly and sometimes that's fatal. she lives close to a busy road.
that is too bad about Kylee. is this a repeat of the episode where they thought she ate something ? not knowing what you're dealing with is difficult. shortages in medical supplies and personnel are being felt everywhere. the whole supply chain is being threatened as you in NY know as well as we in WA are learning.

we are going out for a short bike ride this morning, still sunny today. ETA we are back, its a 15 mile RT ride. it was way too cold to start but it turned out OK.

Last edited:
Today was a rest day and I did stretching. I am sore after those workouts yesterday. I did Raw stretch from the 5 day strength series and Jessica Smith neck and shoulders stretch. About 58 minutes of stretching total. It really felt good.

Deb, I bet you worried even if the vet is not. Having to wait till he can do it would make it that much harder. Nice that you were able to sit out in the sun. It has been raining a lot here. I thought it was done and put weed and feed out in the back lawn and used some round up as I have not been outside in quite some time. The weeds are growing like crazy. Anyway that night we had such a huge downpour, I know it probably washed out the back fence and into the street. That is what happens if I try to use sprinklers in the back. I have to hand water. I am going to have to do it all over again.
My daughter was in Gulf Port. I am guessing somewhere near Louisiana because they stayed one night in a hotel in Louisiana. She said she really could not see why they closed the beach. It was a private beach with the house they rented and was fenced. But the owners wanted to go with the orders for the beaches so they complied. I know all of their family pictures there was no one else on the beach. She said they came into contact with very few people other than their stops for gas and bathroom. Traffic was low on the way back. I think my daughter is just putting herself on quarantine for staying away from everyone till she goes back to work. She still has some vacation days left. My son in law has to go back to work tomorrow. She says they were probably less exposed to anything the whole vacation than most people. She did go to a grocery store today. She picked me up some bread and Spam and said she would probably bring it by and set it on the doorstep as she is not coming in. I saw that Petsmart did mail order for Vet prescription items. I had checked on that Vet dogfood and you had to fill out something for them to contact your vet. I ordered the Frontline plus last time from Amazon, but my vet usually sells me Frontline Gold which from my understanding works faster at killing the ticks than the other. Since warm weather is coming I want to get the Gold this time. I have never used Chewy, but have had some coupons come in the mail for them.

Carolyn, nice work on the quick cardio and yoga practice.

Valerie, I hope they learn something about being prepared if this sort of thing ever happens again. Maybe it is just because so many crazy people bought up everything. I don't know, who would have thought a couple of weeks ago that we would all be going through all of this. I feel even more concerned about my arthritis med, since they are talking about making sure there is some for those that really need it. I guess they are using it for people with the Corona virus. I am due to refill the end of next month.
It is a shame your daughter doesn't train her dogs. I am sure a dog would be a good companion for someone like her that is alone if trained right.

Last edited:
Diane sue most roundup here is supposed to be effective if it dries on the plant for 30 min. I still aim for days when its going to be dry longer.
when you see the Florida beach pictures its infuriating. kids are partying like there's no reason not to, while everyone else is hunkered down and isolated. we are having the same issue with mobs of people heading for the hiking trails and the beach towns and being irresponsible. Mountain Search and rescue is begging people to be prepared and careful. every rescue they get called in for, they need to treat like the person has the covid 19, and its using up valuable supplies. we are getting slammed with most elective procedures called off due to shortage of PPE. DH and I have been hiking and riding but go where there is nobody around, plus we are prepared and aren't hiking in tennis shoes up icy trails with no essential supplies like these kids are doing. the towns are small, rural and isolated and cant afford to hospitalize a bunch of people who don't live there.

Maybe you can get a 3 month supply of plaquenil so you are covered for a while? It wasn't clear to me if that could be used to treat or not, but its probably going to cause shortages either way.

I never used Chewey until I ordered supplies for my sister. we got prescription dog food via a vet and that worked smoothly. their customer service people are great. I've never been in one of their stores, mail order only. the last order took longer. they were very prompt letting me know about the delay and where things were and when they arrived. they credited me quickly and without a problem when there were shipping problems, and even when her dog died suddenly. I didn't ask for that. I'm impressed.

she has had multiple dogs over years. they were uncontrolled. I don't mean trained for fancy tricks, but walking on a leash, sit, stay come. basic socialization. when I visit someone, I don't want their 100 lb german shepherd jumping all over me, grabbing food off the table, or peeing everywhere, I don't care whose dog it is. . .

Today I did IMAX 2, intervals 1-7 and interval 10. That was 49 minutes and 364 calories burned. Average heart rate was 136 and maximum heart rate was 163.

Peloton is offering a free 90 day trial for their streaming app instead of 30, if anyone is interested. Apparently they have a wide variety of workouts, not just cycling. I think Judy might have mentioned that.

I saw an article in The NY Times yesterday that talked about the panic food buying that everyone is doing. Apparently they are buying a lot of dried beans, but many don’t know how to cook them! Rancho Gordo, where I order heirloom beans, had such a surge in orders that they are really backlogged. They went from 150-200 orders per day to 1669 orders on March 14! I placed an order last week because I wanted more of the Royal Coronas and they are estimating that it will be April 12 before they can ship. That’s not a problem for me.

Diane Sue, it’s too bad that your daughter and family had to shorten their vacation. Everything around this virus developed so quickly and situations seemed to change overnight. Gulfport is close to Louisiana, not too far from New Orleans.

Valerie, people are surprisingly oblivious to the way their actions can affect others. I hope that young people are starting to get the message that they are not immune to this virus.

Hello to Judy, Deb, and Lori.

Apparently Oregon has gone to a more locked down status because this weekend was like the 4th of july with the coastal beaches being mobbed, massive traffic jams. Geez! people don't get it! I don't know how Oregon will enforce, need to hear more. SIL and BIL live on Oregon coast and will fill us in. they hate tourist season but usually doesn't happen in march. Our governor is making an announcement this afternoon, and we expect more things will be closed. all state parks and campgrounds are as of today.

same thing happened with pet food... Chewey was backordered on everything when I did the order mid march. everything arrived but the usual reaction is order MORE/ sooner so you don't have to wait next time, adding to the problem. Costco here has now special senior hours and are open earlier than usual for it. I may do that this week. usually I shop there regularly but have not since this all started getting crazy. I am only buying normally.

Good afternoon ladies,

So weird not working...I seem to forget what day it is! My husband was laid off on Thursday. Yikes! we are both unemployed at the moment. We believe he eventually will be called back once everything calms down a bit. His company is still paying our insurance so that is huge. financially, we will be fine, we are fortunate here - but we do need to get jobs! My son too was laid off - his boss loves Nick so he knows he will get back once things pick up. This is all insane!!!!!

Today, the governor has ordered all none essential business to close and for all to stay home. we are not in complete lockdown, but pretty much everyone is staying home.

We have not hoarded at all, but we always have plenty of groceries and pet food...as long as GiGi stops eating the cat’s food!!! We seem to be going thru the cat’s food sooner than I would like, due to GiGi. Lol!! I am trying to avoid going out. I can’t bring anything home to Bob.

My style of workouts are pretty much the same since when I was posting regularly. Still doing LEKfit and BBS with a Suzanne Bowen here and there. In October, I also did add in Hamlen D’Abell (I love his workouts!) and Gizellvejar Fit. gizell is on youtube and all in spanish - but very easy to follow...she has great carido kick and rebounding workouts, along with some good strength and zumba workouts.

Diane Sue...I see you have been doing Walk Strong 3. I’ll have to say I really enjoyed that series when it first came out. Jessica surprised me in that it was tougher than I thought it would be. Hope you are healing well!

Carolyn..I read today a bunch of collage age kids on spring break have tested positive - who knows how many people they have given the virus too. If we all heed the warnings and no one gets sick, and it looks like this was all for nothing...then we did a great job!!!! This is how I look at it.

Have a great night all!!

Last edited:
This morning I did Step Boss Step Sync, 64 minutes(longer because I had text messages from my daughter about items she picked up for me when shopping) 266 calories, ( I also used Map My Fitness Today which said 370 calories) heart rate 101/155, 5,741 steps. The 101 seemed awfully low for average heart rate. Still going by the Versa 2 though. That was it for me today. My daughter brought my bread, ibuprofen, and spam by. I talked to her from across the planter while she was sitting in her car. She was heading out to get groceries with my granddaughter who is in college. She has an apartment by the college.
I saw some couple who had gathered up loads of masks and supplies hoping to price gouge donated the stuff. If more of those people would do that it would sure make things better for these hospitals and doctors. I have things I would like to have from the store, but it is hard to have someone else do it for me. I am not hoarding. Just wanting what I need. I miss my kombucha tea and matcha powder. I am drinking more coffee which means more half and half than I am usually allowing myself since that heart CT. I did quit cream though. I just have been doing 1 or 2 tablespoons half and half and otherwise having a matcha latte with macadamia milk and kombucha tea each day.

Valerie, that is too bad those people are still causing such a problem. The round up may be working a bit anyway. When I went outside today I noticed the weeds and grass in the drive cracks turning yellow. My last supply of Paquenil was a 90 day supply. I can order again after April 8th. I am hoping since I use the pharmacy for it at the Arthritis Center, that they will keep up their stock for their patients. Other items I get from a local small pharmacy. The Paquenil I usually have mailed to me. My daughter says pharmacies and places like Walgreens and CVS is places she would stay out of now. I told her I do a wide path around the pharmacy area of Walmart all of the time figuring there may be sick people there. Chewy sounds like a good place to do business through the mail. I have only ordered from Amazon and once I ordered from PetSmart and picked up to get a discount on my dog food. My daughter said that the young people by the University will shun anyone that offers close contact. They are taking it seriously for the most part. My granddaughter only has one of the other girls staying in the apartment with her. The others went home since they are doing online classes. I am not sure how I will handle my next shopping excursion. Pick up or try to go to the store. Most are having early senor mornings. I could do that, but often don't feel I am a senor o_O

Carolyn, my daughter and her family would have come back this weekend anyway. Just cut it a day short. I saw a lot of beans on Amazon. Funny, I had bags of black beans, garbaonzos, white beans and soybeans. I recently tossed all of them. I have had them in my cabinets for 7 years. When I was doing vegetarian, I cooked a lo of beans and made tempeh from soy beans. I used Kombu to help digestion and it helped keep sodium down. I guess people are gathering staples like depression era.

Lori, I am so sorry your husband also lost his job and your son. Hopefully this clears and everyone can get back to work. Such a huge shock to everyone. Maybe you could just have supplies delivered to your house. I have done that and also Walmart pick up. Glad to see you are still enjoying your workouts. I have run into quite a few of Jessica Smith's workouts that were much harder than I would have thought. A friend loaned me her Walk Strong 3 workouts. I really liked a lot of them. I started using some of her lighter stuff when I was doing PT for my neck and shoulder.

Hi Everyone,

Saturday I did a Cathe Live spin workout on the Peloton (using my iPad) and yesterday I did Live #288-Hooked On PHA. I loved the PHA workout! I will do that one again. Today I did Live #41, Legs w/Weights & Stability Ball. Today was my 8th day in a row of Cathe Live workouts. I plan on continuing at least one more week, then I may switch to a dvd rotation.
This morning the governor issued a stay at home order for Michigan starting tonight and going until April 13.
I haven't left the condo since I got home from work on Sunday 3/15. Chris is still working from home. He started at 8 this morning and is still working on reports, so it's been a 12+ hour day for him. The virus is really blowing up in this area. The majority of Michigan's cases are in my county. I am currently on a 2 week unpaid leave, but I'm sure that will be extended due to the stay at home order.

Deb-I hope Kylee will be ok. I can understand you being worried about it. Nice job with PHA2!

Diane Sue-there is no way I would go into a CVS or Walgreens right now. CVS called me last week about getting my second Shingrex vaccine. No way would I have gone in while this is going on. I hope I can get it in May or June. I placed a big Chewy order last week. We are pretty well stocked on everything.

Lori-I'm so sorry that your husband and son were laid off. I hope this will improve soon and that everyone gets back to work. It sounds like you are doing a great job with your workouts!

Carolyn-I saw that about the 90 day trial for the Peloton app. They do have a good variety of workouts. I like their yoga and meditations. Some of their core work is good too. I think they've made some new customers, with all the gyms closing and people looking to do home workouts who have never done them before.

Valerie-I agree, people don't get it. Everyone just needs to stay home except for necessities. There are still way too many people out. It's like the idea of having to stay at home makes them more determined not to.

Take care,

Judy

I did Reved up rumble, and Abs #1 along with push ups.

we got a stronger "stay at home" order. I'm not sure exactly how it will be enforced. a lot of the coastal towns just closed beaches and roads and in some cases, stores so they would not be over run. we are still OK to go outside, just not in groups of people. so I can still mt bike and road ride and ski since there is no group involved, and we see no one else except for the road rides and then people are not close at all.
Judy, you are 100% right, just tell people they have to do something, even for their own good, and there is rebellion.
I plan on hitting Costco tomorrow. there is a senior hour before they are open to general so I will at least take a look. I know the store very well, can go thru in one pass, getting all I need without wandering. I don't want to spend time looking at stuff, get what I need and get out.
No way would I go in for a shingrex vaccine right now. I'm surprised they are still even doing them.

Deb let us know how things are going for Kylee.

Lori you are incredibly unlucky to all be in restaurant business! seemed like such a secure job.... until it wasn't. yes be careful with shopping. people in stores here seem to be following protocols and being careful and stores are marking out tape lines to keep distance spacing where lines form.

Hi,

going to the vet in a bit. They scheduled the procedure for this morning. Could not feed her after noon yesterday. Of course, could not feed Ike either. They are both looking at us like we have lost our minds!

He will x-ray first, before the other procedure....keep good thoughts that whatever they saw there is gone now. :(

Deb, hoping this all works out well today. It is hard having our dogs look at vhf us expecting food and not able to give it to them.

This morning I did Pyramid Upper Body, up only premix. My time was 47 minutes with 235 calories burned. Average heart rate was 117 and maximum heart rate was 158.

Deb, I hope that everything works out with Kylee.

Lori, I’m sorry about your family‘s employment. That’s a lot to happen at one time. It’s good that you are keeping up your workouts.

Judy, great job with the Cathe Live workouts. I’ve been pretty much in the house too. Aside from last week’s medical appointment I have only gone out for grocery shopping. We are well stocked with food, but I needed fresh produce.

Hello to Valerie and Diane Sue.

his morning I did Box and Pump 3 Raw, 59 minutes, 278 calories, heart rate 122/171, 3,935 steps. I then did Raw abs finisher, 19 minutes, 41 calories, heart rate 92/141 and finished with Lite extended stretch 2, 13 minutes, 11 calories (I added a bit of neck shoulder stretching. Total time 89 minutes, 330 calories, 4,338 steps.

Box and Pump 3 boxing with lower body strength segments. I used 1# dumbbells for the boxing Kelly says no more than 3#

boxing
squats 34# barbell
squats with 15# dbs
plies holding 12# dbs together and raising heels
boxing
barbell deadlift 34#
reverse lunge 15# dumbbells
good morning holding 10# dbs on shoulders
boxing
barbell front lunge 34#
bulgarian split squat 15# dbs
curtsy lunge kelly 10's I used 15# dbs
boxing
side to side step with loop band
squat side to side with loop band
kick leg back with loop band alternating legs
boxing
side lying clam shell with loop band
lying on back hip lifts open knees with loop band
stretch

Deb, hope the vet learns something soon that will help.

Carolyn, my produce is about gone. I usually shop several times a week for fresh produce. I cut up my last apple today, no blueberries, red grapes and things I generally eat. I buy my husband bananas, but generally no more than 3 because sometimes he doesn't eat them and I have to make banana bread or something or throw them out. I need fresh vegetables too. Most went into soup.

Today I did Cardio Party + Extended Stretch 1. That was 49 minutes and 287 calories burned. My average heart rate was 119 and maximum heart rate was 152.

Diane Sue, nice job with Raw Box and Pump, Abs Finisher and LiTE Extended Stretch. I’ve been cooking extra of my fresh vegetables so that they don’t spoil. I can freeze for a later meal if we don’t want it now.

Hello to Deb, Valerie, Judy, and Lori.

I made a Costco run yesterday for the senior hour. will not do that again!. its a special hour and a half Tuesday and Thursday but the single file line was around the whole store. I will take my chances there during regular business hours. I'm not going as often as before. once a week at most. maybe a little less. so far going early in the morning on "non senior" days is best here. there were too many people in Costco but some areas of the store were deserted, and others crowded. I wore gloves, did not take a purse, and washed everything including my jacket when I got home. what didn't get washed got wiped down. I'm taking this very seriously. there isn't anywhere near enough PPE, hospital beds, ventilators. older people may be skipped over in favor of younger ones if we get sick.

I did Stacked upper body yesterday.
thought we would xc ski today but it's raining so skipping. maybe tomorrow. weather forecast is way off.

I've been eating a fresh fruit bowl for lunch every day with an mandarin orange, 1/2 banana and half an apple. DH and I go thru a lot of fresh fruit and vegies.

Hi all,

Yesterday I did LIVE "all in upper body", 51 minutes, 311 calories, and today I did an iTread treadmill workout, for which I can't get the stats since my FitBit won't synch to my phone without me putting in my location. I don't want to have them tracking my location! I never had to do this before. I Googled it and they said that with the recent update with Google, and Fitbit, you have to have your location setting turned on in order to synch. :mad:

No real results on Kylee yet. The vet said her colon is enlarged, so he sent the x-ray to a radiologist for an opinion. :(. The barium study showed the contrast going through stomach, etc, but it moves slower than it should. The problem is that it caused her gall bladder to be overworked, and it does not empty like it should. He has a med for that, but wants to wait until he hears back from the radiologist before starting her on anything new. Probably more than you want to know.

Diane Sue, I hear you on the fresh stuff. John just did a grocery run for us too.

Carolyn, great job on Pyramid Upper body and Cardio Party! I feel like all we have been doing is going back and forth to the vet.

Valerie, that is too bad that the Senior Hours are so crowded! Well, at least you are able to get there when you can and not have to go too often.

Hi to Judy, & Lori

Stay safe

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.