Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 2/28

good morning. last night I did 15 on the elliptical and Muscle Meltdown chest. did toe push ups on the bench like cathe does, but used one less riser. 15 lbs for all the flys and presses. Felt good. I like frequent superset workouts more than longer comprehensive upper body workouts..
DH had a chain saw accident yesterday and whacked his leg. we cleaned it up and bandaged it yesterday but this morning he just left to go to a walk-in clinic to get a tetanus booster and also see if he needs a couple stitches in it. I think he does. skin will pull when he bends and I think it needs to be stitched to heal properly. (doctors are the worst patients!) its harder these days to accompany someone so I stayed here. he gets too comfortable with a chain saw and they can cause a lot of damage in about half a second. it looked very close to serious to me, in my unprofessional opinion so I want someone else to tell him it was a close call.

This morning I did Jane Adams’ Morning Energy practice for 18 minutes. That’s it for me since this is a rest day. I had sad news about a former coworker yesterday. She never married and lived alone. She also pulled away from everyone after she retired. She died at home alone and no one knew. A neighbor noticed packages collecting on her porch over several days and called the police for a welfare check. They found her sitting in a rocker in her sunroom. I was so sad to hear that. Another reminder to check in on friends and relatives who are alone.

Deb, thanks for starting the thread today. I hope that you are doing well.

Valerie, that’s a frightening accident for your husband. I hope that he finds that everything is good. One of the guys who attends our WW meeting with his wife had an accident with a chain saw two years ago. He was on a ladder trimming tree limbs when it happened. He had some serious damage to his arm.

Diane Sue, I hope that you enjoy your family get together today. Be careful with packing and lifting heavy boxes. When do you close on the sale of your current home?

Hello to Judy, Cathy, and Lori.

back from the walk in clinic. all is reasonably OK. they re-did dressings from yesterday but it will not need stitches. we did not have strips to hold the wound together so I used some huge X shaped bandaids. after a day the glue starts to release. got his tetanus booster. Carolyn, yes, when the chain is running it can do so much damage in a fraction of a second. I have gotten him a face shields that he wears. they make chaps to protect legs but I doubt he will wear them. sad about the co worker. between covid and leaving a job, it would be easy to lose connections.
we recently bought a special Stihl tree trimmer set up that about eliminates need for a ladder. DH does a lot of that and it was worth the money. you are so much more stable when not on a ladder. plus it is a pole pruner and will prune significant things. we never saw one before, but DH has shoulder issues doing long time high overhead work. this pole pruner was a game changer for us. we have a lot of trees and shrubs that need pruning at least once and sometimes twice a year. its not a wimpy little set up from Lowes but a serious tool. Stihl has great products. this pruner has a small chain saw at the end of the pole. gotta see it to believe it. now if only DH will be a little more cautious....

diane sue hope the house sale is going well.

This morning I did Live Step On It. I've done it before and still ambivalent about whether I like it or not.

Carolyn I'm so sorry about your former co-worker. Such sad news and yes, people need to be checking on those that live alone and especially right now when people are even more isolated.

Valerie I'm glad your husband wasn't more seriously hurt. A few years back a retired mechanic that worked on our car for us, badly cut his leg with a chainsaw and ended up in the hospital. They have so much potential to cause serious injury. Good that he got it checked out.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did LIVE Burn Sets Back, Chest & Shoulders, 47 minutes 254 calories and today I did Perfect HIIT Low Impact 30 minutes 215 calories.

Valerie, good job on Muscle Meltdown Chest. That is really scary about your DH and the chainsaw. You are absolutely right about doctors being the worst patients! John fell on the ice outside Thursday morning, I was in the shower and our neighbors saw him on the ground and helped him back into the house. He was out of it, a big gash on his head and he was talking gibberish, could not remember words etc. I begged him to let me take him to the ER, but he was adamant on not going because he had the appointment with his urologist to have the stent removed. He was back to himself when we went to the Urologist appointment, but I cornered the nurse after the procedure and told her what happened. She got the DR who looked him over, and convinced him to at least call his primary DR to see what he thought. Of course he said to go to the ER for some images. We did that. Thankfully, all was ok.

Carolyn, nice job on the energy practice. Sorry to hear about your co-worker. That is so sad.

Cathy, good job on the Live step workout. Have you looked at this link on the Live workouts? : fitnessmystyle.com/cathe-live. It is a great resource on a quick way to find a LiVe workout, see the times, the equipment needed etc. They are sorted by workout type.

Judy, Muscle Endurance, and "oldie but goodie"! :)

Diane Sue, how is the house search going?

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

Deb men in general are pretty bad, but doctors are the worst. In my totally unbiased opinion! Like you would not notice a big gash on his head. hope he is OK. DH was the same way.. no biggie, just whacked my thigh and tore up my jeans with a chain saw, why worry?? what's for lunch?
I'm glad he decided to go to the walk-in the next day. he needed a tetanus booster anyway, but at least someone else could judge whether it needed stitches. the next morning is not a ridiculous amount of time. men.. so funny how when they are talking about "other people" they can be objective, but when it comes to themselves, that's the first thing that gets lost. he had to get on the riding mower and drive himself back up the hill and didn't know how much damage was done until he got in the bathroom and got a look at it. blood everywhere along with dirt and sawdust and shredded denim. I had him sit on the edge of the tub and run water over it so he didn't have to get in the shower, got out big bandages, found some x shaped band aids to pull the wound edges together, got the tape ready along with some non stick dressings. let him do the actual bandaging. used the hair dryer on low setting to dry the area before the band aids. pretty good for a non nurse! did I get any appreciation? not a chance. he'll get there eventually.

I did a 35 min spin premix yesterday afternoon. getting tired of the songs is the problem with spinning IMO. got tired of Pedal power, so X train is OK now, until I get sick of these.

Today I did Rock‘m Sock’m Kickboxing which was 48 minutes and 351 calories burned. My average heart rate was 133 and maximum heart rate was 162.

Deb, great job with Live Burn Sets Back, Chest, & Shoulders and Perfect HiiT Low Impact. What is it with men and injuries! I’m glad that you were able to get medical attention for your husband despite his objections.

Cathy, nice job with Live Step On It. I understand feeling ambivalent about a workout. I have been there.

Valerie, good job with the X Train Spin premix. I rarely get tired of music in a workout, but I like to do a variety. I can see how that would happen with spinning since it is closely aligned to the music.

Hello to Judy, Diane Sue, and Lori.

Today was STS Disk 22 only two more workouts in MESO 2. Had to pause this one a couple times to reconfigure my wrist weights.

Deb great job on the workouts and many thanks for the link. I'd missed seeing that one. Glad your husband is okay. Mine would be just as bad about getting checked out. My Dad is about the only guy I know who willing does that when needed. But, he spent a year in bed as a kid with rheumatic fever and was in the hospital a fair bit, so not much bothers him.

Valerie is there any way to use your own music for the spin workouts? Do those have the voice only option like some of the DVDs do?

Carolyn nice job on the Rock'm Sock'm you got a great calorie burn on that!

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did a Peloton ride before work. Today I did Yin Yoga.

Valerie-Nice job with the spin workout. I'm sorry about your husband's accident. That sounds scary.

Deb-Great job with Live Burn Sets and Perfect Hiit Low Impact. I'm sorry about your husband's fall. I'm glad he is ok.

Carolyn-Nice job with Rock'm Sock'm. I need to do that one again soon.

Cathy-Great job with STS.

Hi to Diane Sue & Lori,

My workout today was Raw hi/lo step 38 minutes, heart rate 119/158, 173 calories, 3,643 steps. I then did CDorner abs on the ball #154, 20 minutes, 28 calories, 87 steps. Total time was 58 minutes, 201 calories, 3,643 steps.

Deb, we found a house that we are moving to. It is only a year old. I like that it has what they call a chefs kitchen with plenty of work space. Two ovens and a microwave, 5 burner gas stove top with the water above the burners. Not sure if there is a special name for that. It is granite counters. Really nice patio with a fireplace. The bedrooms are smaller so we will use two for workout rooms and put a sleeper in the office for guests. It is bigger than this house and has a 3 car garage which was what my husband really wanted. Also a tornado shelter in the garage floor.

Valerie, that is good that your husband did not need stitches. My husband is always picky about his power tools and they are generally the top of the line.

Carolyn, we close on the house we are in and on the one we are moving into on the 25th of March. We have already had inspection here. We are going over to the one we are purchasing tomorrow afternoon for the inspection there. Packing is rough. My husband told me I should quit carrying the boxes to the garage and let the movers move them, but I think since they are paid by the hour it would be quicker if I have most of them in the garage. That is so sad about your coworker.

Judy, nice work on the Peloton ride. I need to get in more yoga and stretching. I have been liking CDorner youtube mobility workouts.

Cathy, nice work getting almost through STS meso 2.

House sounds great! a "pot filler" is what I call those. have not had an option for gas ever. all electric here. we have a 3 car garage and actually put the cars in it, so a 4 car would have been nice for the working space. ours is full during the winter.

cathy I dont really have my own music. I never got into play lists and things, and I will not for any reason use ear buds or a head set.. I cant tolerate sounds right into my ears. CD's are where I stopped. I dont hear much new music that I like. so im in habit of listening to whatever someone else picked and mostly its OK. only have 3-4 spin dvds though and it gets repetitious. I can turn off the audio to voice only but I dont know how I would get other music playing on the system we have.

I did perfect pump upper later today, and abs from X train.

Good morning,

Today I did Live Burn Sets Express, Heavy Legs; 34 minutes, 175 calories,

Valerie, maybe you missed your calling....you should have been a nurse! LOL

Carolyn, nice job on Rock'm Sock'm.

Cathy, YAY! for only 2 more workouts in Meso 2! I think Meso 3 was my favorite, but I had to reduce the time between sets....waayyy to long to wait.

Judy, good job on the Peloton ride and yoga workout.

Diane Sue, the house sounds great!!

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

tee hee Deb... my degree is in laboratory medicine. I didn't think I had the right attitude for nursing, and back in the late 60's nursing was a drudgery job. at least what I saw. as it turns out there would have been much more career potential in nursing than there was in the lab so I was totally wrong. I didnt have any money and had to pick a major that I could complete at the university extension in Milwaukee where I lived. UWM is much bigger now. back then there were only a few programs that could get completed there. nursing would have been a better choice. lab work became a dead end job for most. I have about 2 seconds of patience though so it may not have worked for me.

I love an open spacious kitchen. I like to cook and hate being crowded without counter space. I grew up cooking with a gas stove but never had one as an adult. diane sue hope you like it.

This morning I did Flex Train, a total body metabolic workout. That was 58 minutes with 303 calories burned. My average heart rate was 118 and maximum heart rate was 157.

Cathy, you are making good progress with STS. Nice job.

Judy, great job with the Peloton ride and Yin Yoga.

Diane Sue, nice work with Raw hi/lo Step and CDorner Abs. Your new house sounds wonderful. That chef’s kitchen sounds like my dream kitchen.

Deb, great job with Live Burn Sets Express Heavy Legs.

Valerie, career choices certainly seemed limited when we went to college. I can’t count the number of people who asked if I was going to be a teacher or nurse, as if those were my only choices. I started off with a history major, but quickly switched to speech language pathology. My decision turned out to be a good one, but how do you know when you are 19 years old.

Waving hello to Lori.

This morning I did My Finished Step Mix I made. Then stretching. Goal is lots of extra stretching this month. My lower back will thank me I'm sure.

Diane Sue the house sounds wonderful! I hope all of the transition goes smoothly. Great that you are still able to get your workouts in with all that happening. We have always used our garage for cars. I spent enough years of my life having to have my car outside that I've really enjoyed the last 24 years. LOL Cleaning snow and ice off cars isn't my idea of fun and yet it seems like the majority of people even in Michigan have their garages full of anything but their vehicles.

Valerie having the boys around meant hearing a lot of newer music and I have some artists that I really enjoy and I've swiped some of Derek's iTunes songs. Nick pays for Spotify so no access there. Both of them will listen to older stuff. Partially thanks to band and mostly to their Dad and his gazillion number of CD's. Not kidding. The other day I loaded a lot of songs onto a USB for my trip up north next week.

Judy great job with the Peloton and yoga!

Deb great job with Burn Sets! Making mental notes for possibilities on my next rotation. The one starting late April. LOL I really need to pull out some of the older workouts that I've been avoiding. Especially the weight workouts.

Carolyn Flex Train is one of those workouts that I don't think I've ever actually done the whole thing! Something else I need to explore. I've used all the other workouts in that group (that I really wish had a name), but not that one.

I get some newer music but not in the workout room. we have Sirius radio on two vehicles. got a free year when we bought the truck, and it just continued to work and its now about 2 years. we don't pay for sirius in WA because the signal gets interrupted so much because of heavy tree cover so its too annoying,.. one singer I enjoy alot is Miley Cirus. she's not just a pretty face, has a fabulous voice. I get her songs stuck in my head all the time, several rotating thru "ear worm" position lately but not good exercise music.

so funny ....many people never put cars in the garage because its full up. we keep our truck in the garage in winter but in summer its outside and that gives work space for tune ups on lawn equipment etc. we have an outbuilding but it doesn't have power.

I did Flex train a lot for a while.

Carolyn one of my best friends has a masters in speech pathology. she had a good job working with kids in the school system.
I nixed teaching. don't like children. multitudes of people were graduating with degrees in education unable to find jobs. education field got "over sold". I could not have foreseen that technology would decimate the need for medical laboratory people as suddenly as it did. things became automated suddenly. jobs disappeared over night. one automated machine did the work of dozens. automation/technology took over 3 fields of work for me. Nursing would have been a better choice.

my parents didn't put aside any money for a college fund for me. they gave me $125. I applied for scholarships but I don't think they filled out the forms because I never heard back from any place. my thought is they mailed them in but not completed. my father was very secretive about money and I think he didn't give the info needed. I have some deep anger about that. I worked very hard in school and graduated in the top few people in my class. to this day, I think any scholarship applications did not get processed, for whatever reason. my father told me he could only give me that much because "I had a brother coming up". my brother is (and was) an idiot and barely attended school, did not even graduate as far as I know, so a little misogynism at work there. my friends to a great degree went off to school elsewhere, and I grabbed the one degree I could complete where I lived. I still did OK, but the lack of support when push came to shove still is a bad memory.

I did a 36 min spin yesterday and the flexibility 30 min workout from perfect 30.

Last edited:
This morning I did All Out Low Impact HiiT, the no disc cardio premix. That was 33 minutes and 213 calories burned. My average heart rate was 126 and maximum heart rate was 153.

I’ve been trying to add more plant based meals to my week. My goal this week is to have one plant based meal a day. I just finished a pot of broccoli spinach soup to go with my lunch salad. Instead of having chicken or fish on my salad I will have a white bean salad. I have been slowly adjusting my food choices over the past few months, but not so much with lunch.

Cathy, nice job with your blender step mix workout.

Valerie, great job with the spin workout and P30 Flexibility.

Hello to Deb, Judy, Diane Sue, and Lori.

Today I did Stacked Sets Upper Body for 37 minutes and 192 calories burned. Average heart rate was 120 and maximum heart rate was 143. I had to do some grocery shopping this morning, but it wasn’t very crowded. The store was well stocked.

I hope that everyone is doing well. Have a wonderful day.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.