Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 2/26/2023

Today I did Perfect Pump Lower Body, 35 minutes, 123 calories, heart rate 107/137. I then did a workout I saw on Youtube called Improved Health Fun with the classics no talking 70's music. 20 minutes, heart rate 143/181?? (this has to be wrong as it is just moving around manly in one spot like marching a few kicks and arm movements) 121 calories. Total time was 55 minutes, 244 calories, 2,430 steps. I also did CDorner Stretch on the Beach and some other stretches and foam rolling. I did not turn my watch on for this.
Perfect Pump Lower Body
warm up 12's and 15's
deadlifts, squats, pulse lunges
Squat 20's 12 reps
static lunges 20's 12 reps
deadlifts 20's 12 reps
pick up squats 25# db 12 reps
elevated lunge right superset 15# dbs 12 reps with elevated explosive lunge no weight
elevated lunge left superset 15# dbs 12 reps with elevated explosive lunge no weight
deadlifts with toes elevated
20# dbs
Heels elevated front squat 15# dbs 12 reps
Step Ups 15# db 12 reps right and 12 reps left
Single leg deadlift 25# db 10 reps left 10 reps right
Front Lunge 15# db 10 reps right and 10 reps left
Close Grip Squat 25# db 12 reps
squat crossover lunges 15# db 12 reps right and 12 reps left
Forward Leaning Glute lunges
15# 12 reps left 10 reps right
Cossack Squat 12# db 12 reps
Calf raise 15# dbs #1 25 reps, #2 20 reps, #3 15 reps

I put my workout here since tomorrow is my rest day.

Valerie, they told me I had a cataract starting. They said I was fine now. I would know when I needed to do something. I get my eyes checked regularly and the field vision tests every year.

Carolyn, I looked at RWH legs today and remembered the jumping. I would do something else too.

Cathy, I read someone else post that they were doing Cathe's workouts individually.

Last edited:
Yesterday I went to the gym with Chris and did a total body circuit and 30 minutes on the recumbent bike. Total time was about 85 minutes.
Wednesday before the outage I did PHA 2 and 10 minutes of core work.

We used the generator for the refrigerator and Chris's computer for work but we had no way to keep the condo warm. The generator will be great for outages in warm weather, but not in the winter. Thursday morning we took the cats to the vet for boarding and got a hotel room. We were planning on the power being out until Monday but we were in one of the largest outage areas and there were several schools without power so that might have been why we got ours back a little sooner.

Diane Sue-Great job with Perfect Pump Lower Body. I was also told that I had the beginnings of a cataract but I was good for now and didn't need to do anything.

Carolyn-I hope you had a nice rest day. Fresh cole slaw sounds good. It does seem like we are having more frequent outages.

Cathy-I'm glad you didn't lose power for long. We were lucky enough to get a hotel room Thursday morning. By Thursday night there weren't any available rooms around here. I'm glad your parents found a hotel.

Valerie-Great job with the spin and weights.

This morning I did My Finished Step and then Core Flow Express. I really like that one. My parents will be at the hotel at least another day. They are still showing restoration for mid day tomorrow. Consumers Energy site says it's do to the complexity of the outage. When I looked early they still had 36,000 without power and that's just Consumers Energy customers.

Judy our neighbor was VERY happy our power was only out for 10 hours because it costs them $100 a day to run the generator that's wired into the house and they don't even run everything with it. No way could we afford to do that. Great job with the total body circuit and bike at the gym. Schools here were off again Friday, but that's mainly because there are a lot of dirt roads and ice on dirt roads is really not fun.

Diane Sue nice job with PP Lower Body, Improved Health Fun and the stretch/foam rolling.

our big snowfall has not developed. a little bit of slush but nothing significant. we have a certified wood stove we use during winter. it keeps the main room warm. Im OK with cool temps. the exercise room gets cold because when we use the wood stove, since the heat pump isn't running. it gets very cool. probably 50 something. Ok for exercise. cathy and Judy, you lucked out getting power back quickly. we used to be a priority location it seemed, not so lately. the county executive used to live down the street. we thought it was an "unofficial" reason for us getting bumped to the top of the outage list. he doesn't anymore. several other possible reasons.

I also get an annual eye exam. I have always spent most of the year outdoors and was diligent about sunglasses but if you live long enough, you will probably develop them. I will think about a convenient time.

This morning I did my usual yoga for 20 minutes.

Diane Sue, great job with Perfect Pump Lower Body, YouTube cardio, and CDorner stretch.

Judy, great job with the total body circuit at the gym, 30 minutes on the recumbent bike, PHA 2, and core work. It’s good that you were able to get a hotel room during the power outage. Now you know how the generator will work for you in the future.

Cathy, good job with your Finished Step and Core Flow Express. I hope that the next weather system doesn’t affect your power.

Valerie, you are fortunate to have missed the snow part of weather system.

Enjoy your day everyone.

I did Lower Body Barre Blend this morning. I love this workout! At the same time, wow is it not easy and there was a lot of leg shaking. Pretty cardio based and uses the bar, two disks, and 10 lb weights. I will be amazed if I'm not sore tomorrow.

My parents power came on last night while we were doing our weekly family video chat, but they stayed at the hotel until this morning. That way the house could warm up. Trash day coincided with toss stuff out of the fridge/freezer, so that's done and hopefully we all keep power now. There's still a lot of people without. There was some freezing rain this morning, but temps are in the mid-30's, so it shouldn't impact things much.

Carolyn great job keeping up the yoga!

Valerie glad your big snowfall didn't happen. So crazy the snow they are getting in California. I haven't seen numbers but we have to be on the low side this year. We can get snow in March and April, but it usually doesn't amount to much.

This morning I did part of Cardio Supersets. My time was 35 minutes with 215 calories burned. My average heart rate was 127 and maximum heart rate was 163. I skipped most of the disc segments (burpees, slow mountain climbers, etc.).

Cathy, nice job with Lower Body Barre Blend. It’s great that your parents’ power is on again. The weather across the country is so mixed up and strange.

Hello to All and have a wonderful day.

Reactions: WD
Power outage and tornado sirens a d warnings last night. I am getting ready to go work out. I did get up earlier, just a slow start. I sat and read on my tablet since I did not have internet waiting to get a bit relaxed before crawling into bed. My dog howled with the sirens and clung to us!
Will come back after workout.

This morning I did RWH Back, Biceps and Shoulders, 55 minutes, 138 calories, heart rate 95/121, 599 steps. I decided to skip some cardio and just get in a good stretch so I did CDorner Cooldown and Stretch routine, 32 minutes, 51 calories. Total time was 9minutes, 189 calories.

Ripped With Hiit Back Biceps & Shoulders
One Arm Row
set 1 25# 12 reps: set 2: 25# 12 reps set 3: 25# 12 reps
Finisher barbell rows and band power pulls 30# 20 reps
Pull Overs ( I subbed a move with a reverse grip pull over and light weight) set 1 9# body bar 12 reps;
set 2 5# dumbbells 12 reps; set 3 5# dumbbells 12 reps (I am not taking chances as I keep reading that pullovers can be bad for the shoulder)
Finisher: Barbell Row and Supine Band Pulls30# barbell 20 reps
One Arm Angled Row
set 1 20# 12 reps; set 2 20# 12 reps; set 3 20# 12 reps
Finisher 1 Arm Seated Band Pulls 20 reps
Rear Delt Flys set 1 10's 12 reps,;set 2 10's 12 reps; set 3 10's 12 reps
Finisher: One Arm Band Pulls 20 reps
Prone Rear Delts
set 1 3's 12 reps; set 2 5's; set 3 3's
Finisher: Seated T-Band Pulls 20
Biceps Curls
set 1 30 # Barbell 12 reps; set 2 30# barbell 12 reps; set 3 30# barbell 12 reps
Finisher: W curls 10's 20 reps
Concentration curls
set 1 15# db 12 reps; set 2 12# dbs 10 reps; set 3 12# db 10 reps
Finisher crazy 8's 25# barbell 24 reps
simultaneous standing hammer curls
set 1 12's 12 reps; set 2 12's 12 reps; set 3 12's 12 reps
Finisher Crazy 8's 20# barbell 24 reps (my arms were tired by this time)

Today I did STS Total Body, single sets premix. My time was 56 minutes with 215 calories burned. My average heart rate was 111 and maximum heart rate was 147.

Diane Sue, great job with RWH Back, Biceps, and Shoulders and CDORNER Cooldown and Stretch. That’s a great workout. I was concerned about you when I heard about the tornadoes. I’m glad that you were not affected.

Valerie, nice job with 30 minutes on the spin bike, XTrain Core and upper body exercises.

Hello to Cathy and Judy.

Had an appointment this morning with the tax accountant, so no workout. I'd planned to get up by 6 and workout, but was awake for hours during the night, so that wasn't happening.

Carolyn great job with Cardio Supersets and STS Total Body, single sets premix.

Diane Sue sorry to hear that you were dealing with a power outage. Nice job with RWH Back, Biceps and Shoulders and the stretch.

Valerie great job with the spin, core and upper body exercises.

This morning I did the older Cardio Kickboxing and Abs Intervals workout that CDorner put up. It was 38 minutes, 201 calories, 2,475 steps, heart rate 129/152. At first I was worried when she said she was using a 12# dumbbell. I used 10# and it was only for one of the abs segments. It was 5 minutes kickboxing alternated with 3 minutes abs. There was 3 ab segments, fist being Russian twist and punches in a v-sit, second various plank moves, and side planks and oblique work. I then did CDorner Cardio Barre and Boxing Fusion that I have in my saved workouts for the first 25 minutes (I just wanted to get to 300 calories :p) 126 calories, heart rate 126/158, 1,784 steps. Total time was 64 minutes, 327 calories, 4,229 steps. Weird weather here. It got up in the 70's today. I expected to be really sore after yesterday's back, shoulders, and biceps. I don't think I have worked those areas that hard yet. I am glad that I rolled and stretched some afterward. So far I am not sore.

Cathy, when I have a choice of workout or get more sleep, I choose sleep. It must be an age thing, as I used to get up at 4:30 in the mornings to work out and then get on with daycare and family stuff. I look back at it and sometimes I would work out at midnight after my husband went to work. I think, what a nut I was. I would have done better with some rest than non-stop going till bedtime.

Carolyn, I was thinking of maybe doing STS 4 just the lower body. I need to go look at the exercises in it. I think I will pass on RWH legs after looking. I could skip the power moves I guess. I am not even sure I would do much of the RWH chest, shoulders, and ticeps. I am trying to avoid the exercises that I printed up, that are too much for the shoulders. So, far being careful the soreness I kept feeling is pretty much gone in the front of my shoulder.
Chris of CDorner throws gliding discs into some of her workouts. I try to avoid as I just do not have the space. I don't mind using them though if I can find enough carpet. Sometimes they seem unsafe because if you slide out too far or lose balance holding weights it can hurt the knees.

Valerie, nice mix of workouts today.

Yesterday I did a 45 minute Peloton ride and today I did Live # 212, Fit Legs.

Cathy-Great job with your Finished Step workout, Core Flow Express and Lower Body Barre Blend.
I'm glad your parents have power again.

Carolyn-Great job with yoga, Cardio Supersets and STS Total Body, single sets premix. I was looking at the STS meso 2 leg workouts. I might have to do one to get ready for STS 2.0.

Valerie-Great job with the spin, XTrain core and upper body moves. We were lucky to get our power back so quickly. In 2017 we were out a bit longer, 4 or 5 days I think.

Diane Sue-Great job with RWH Back, Biceps and Shoulders and the CDorner workouts. I had a period where I was getting up at 4:30 to be at the gym before work. I was doing an hour on the elliptical then 20-30 minutes of strength training. It was very effective but not very pleasant. It's not something I would ever do again.

This morning I did KCM’s Cardio Quick Fix workout one for 26 minutes and 174 calories burned. My average heart rate was 128 and maximum heart rate was 148.

Cathy, you are ahead of me with the tax accountant. I need to take care of that soon. There is one thing that I need to do first then I’ll be ready for our appointment.

Diane Sue, great job with CDorner Cardio Kickboxing and Abs intervals and Cardio and Boxing Fusion. I worked out at 4:30 a.m. for several years until I retired. I can’t imagine doing that now!

Judy, nice job with the Peloton ride and Live Fit Legs.

Hello to Valerie.

I did elliptical for 30 min yesterday and therapy work.

I cant imagine getting up to workout at 4:30. ever. I always had a flexible schedule but no way, could not have done that.

I feel like half my body parts are breaking down right now. having a back problem that has existed for a long time but is suddenly a problem. seeing someone next week about it. getting old is not for sissies.

This morning was Cardio Box Arms and Abs. No kicking, just arms with a bag section. Then I went and closed and reopened a CD at the bank. Rates are too good right now to pass on that. After that, I went to my parents. Beautiful day here. Sunny and over 50 and in two days we are getting 5-8" of snow. LOL Going to have to finish this later, because Chester has plopped himself in my lap, making typing VERY hard.

Today I did CDorner, Step and Thighs with bands, 38 minutes. 201 calories, heart rate 129/152. I started with Cahte's extra heavy gray loop band and then during the rest of the rounds I switched to the light fabric band and think I could have used heavier. I then did STS Total Body Lowe time saver mix skipping final triset after doing it once. I am not a fan of gliding lunges. This was 20 minutes, 77 calories, heart rate 111/131. I finished off with Raw Stretch Finisher and the standing portion of Raw athletic stretch 2, 14 minutes, 33 calories. Total time was 74 minutes, 310 calories, 2,250 steps. I think I may have a few extra rest days this month with appointments and events then out of town for anniversary. The people are supposed to come out Monday during my hours I normally work out to get my sprinklers started and may be doing repairs. I had a talk with the company and I am going out to make sure I know what I am getting charged for and where I turn the water off myself since I know it is inside the closet in the garage where the tankless hot water heater is. They had listed some heads needing repair that I am sure after looking at previous work had been done the time before. I never had to do that many repairs ever on sprinkler systems and there is no traffic in our yard other than workers. So, I have questions.

STS Total Body Lower body
triset 1

squats 20# dbs 16 reps
one leg elevated lunge 15# dbs 16 reps
power deadlift 35# barbell 16 reps
Triset 2
squats 20# dbs 12 reps
one leg elevated lunge 15# dbs 12 reps
power deadlift 35# barbell 12 reps
Triset 3
squats narrow stance 20# dbs 16 reps
static lunge 15# dbs 16 reps
stiff legged deadlift 45# barbell 16 reps
Triset 4
squats narrow stance 20# dbs 12 reps
static lunge 15# dbs 12 reps
stiff legged deadlift 45# barbell 12 reps
Triset 5
side slide lunges 10# dbs 16 reps
one leg slide back lunge 10# dbs
deadlift wide stance 45# barbell 16 reps

Judy nice work on the Peloton Ride yesterday and Live #212 Fit Legs.

Carolyn, nice work on Kelly's Cardio Quick Fix workout. If I got up at 4:30 now I would for sure fall asleep sometime during the day. Particular if I sat and looked at the computer screen very long.

Valerie, I have had more back issues of late. I think mostly for me it is spinal issues. They have been monitoring stress fractures for years. Yes, aging is not pleasant. I told my husband I would love to lie down in the bed and feel no discomfort. Even my poor dog who is getting gray gets up and limps across the room favoring one of her legs. I put her on a glucosamine supplement for dogs. Nice work on the elliptical and therapy work. I always dread seeing doctors because I am afraid it will lead to more tests and more doctor visits.

Cathy, nice work with Cardio box with abs. Kelly Coffey does lots of just boxing workouts on her Raw channel. I like some kicking with it. My shoulders were sore this morning after the kickboxing I did yesterday.

Today I did ICE Chiseled Upper Body and Icy Core 1. That was 55 minutes and 205 calories burned. My average heart rate was 110 and maximum heart rate was 147.

Valerie, nice job doing 30 minutes on the elliptical and your therapy exercises. I’m sorry that your back is giving you problems. I agree, there are many aches and pains that come with aging. Just think how much worse it would be if you didn’t keep active. That’s one reason I try to do some type of stretching/mobility on a regular basis in addition to my other activities.

Cathy, great job with Cardio Box Arms and Abs. You are smart to get a better rate on your CD.

Diane Sue, nice job with CDorner Step and Thighs with bands, STS Total Body lower premix, and Raw stretch finisher.

Hello to Judy.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.