Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 12/12

This morning I did Jane Adams Gentle Yoga Morning Energy practice for 18 minutes. It’s a nice gentle stretch to get the day started. I hope that everyone is doing well and having a nice afternoon.

Yesterday I did the latest Cathe Live Bands, Loops and Weights Oh My! Really good workout. Totally body and I was rather sore today. I also did 10 upper body 1 RM's, but my glutes, hamstrings and quads were also sore, which was from the workout for sure. Today I did the IMAX workout I put together and realized a couple things. When I edited it, I left out a step combo on the last rounds, and while I used the IMAX 3 warmup, cool down and 3 of the combos-I didn't use a single IMAX 3 blast! LOL

Carolyn great job with the yoga workout!

Hi to everyone!

Today I did a 1 hour Peloton ride and a 20 minute Peloton strength workout.

Carolyn-Great job with the Jane Adams Gentle Yoga Morning Energy Practice.

Cathy-Great job with the Cathe Live Bands, Loops and Weights workout. That one sounds pretty good.

Hi to Valerie & Diane Sue

Today I did IMAX 2, intervals 1-5, interval 8, and interval 10. My time was 45 minutes with 323 calories burned. Average heart rate was 132 and maximum heart rate was 152.

Cathy, great job with Live Bands, Loops, and Weights and your IMAX workout. I’m not surprised that you left out the IMAX 3 blasts!

Judy, nice job with the Peloton ride and Peloton strength workout.

Hello to Valerie and Diane Sue. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Friday and Saturday I did stretching as my hip has been hurting again along with the shoulder. Neck is hurting as well. I did 21 minutes of mild cardio moves low impact on Saturday to warm up for stretching. My big mistake was coloring my hair. Parting off and doing the roots ended up causing me loads of pain that I finally gave in and took Advil for as Tylenol does nothing. Besides they still have not called and the pre-op says no Advil, Aleve etc for 1 week prior to surgery. I decided I was not spending the whole weekend in excruciating pain. We went to my daughter's for family Christmas gathering and gift exchange. Also did a white elephant/dirty santa (child appropriate) for fun. I am a little better today and just let my hair air dry since I am not going anywhere. I am hoping that they call soon to schedule the surgery. My husband needs to know so he can get off of work and I want it done soon. I do not know who to call to ask as I seen the surgeons PA in one facility and the paper work is having me to go to a bone and joint hospital downtown somewhere. I have multiple phone numbers on my list. Plus I am supposed to have a pre-op testing done the day before surgery.
Saturday afternoon and evening was spent mostly sitting in the recliner in pain. I really was trying to just use ice and tylenol.

We did an urban trail ride with cousin and wife Sunday. Omg not for me. 15 miles. I was not feeling very good anyway, not sleeping well, and I could not wait for it to be over. Way Too many people dogs and other nonsense. Not fun on Mt bikes.
The weather is very nice here as is the mountain biking but otherwise I do not like this place. We will not likely use the gym facility here. Nice equipment but obnoxious people. I am trying to be careful with food and drink but it’s hard with eating out a lot.

Did a long mountain bike this morning that turned out great. Really fun downhill. Around 15 miles. Rental bikes don’t have odometers.ss Finally saw some interesting birds as this location was less busy.
Diane sue hope you get it all sorted and scheduled ASAP. Maybe let a salon do your hair Once or twice until you can go bAck to “self care”?
Sorry for typos. All from my phone.

Derek and I just got back from the Detroit Zoo. Sunny, low 40's and very very few people. Indoor masking and everyone seemed compliant. I got 16,000 steps. But, OMG my legs are sore from the last couple days. Inner thighs have now joined in. I had hoped that all the walking would help, we only sat down briefly for maybe 10 minutes once, but the ride home tightened everything up again.

Valerie, I feel about the Detroit area like you do where you are. The traffic is insane! and we weren't even going through at rush hour. Sounds like this mornings bike ride was nice. Sorry so much of it has turned out not to be. I will happily visit my sister every year in the mountains in NC, but where she lives near Tampa, no thanks!

Diane Sue, I am so sorry you are in so much pain. I really hope you hear something soon about your surgery, and you could always just start trying every number you have. People needing elective surgery are basically screwed around here, because hospitals are full and aren't doing them. I hope that is not your situation.

Carolyn great job with IMAX 2. What's really funny about my IMAX workout is that I actually used a blast from a Hiit workout because I couldn't find any that I liked for the last one. And really not every blast in IMAX 3 is crazy hard.

Judy great job with the Peloton ride and strength workouts!

This morning I did LiTE PHA 2 for 51 minutes and 284 calories burned. My average heart rate was 122 and maximum heart rate was 155.

Diane Sue, your family Christmas gathering sounds like fun. I hope that you hear from the clinic soon about scheduling surgery. I think that I would start calling a few of those numbers to get things going. You can’t plan for pre-op procedures without a date.

Valerie, that’s great that you are getting in some of the type of activities that you enjoy. I don’t blame you for not wanting to go to the facility’s gym.

Cathy, nice trip to the zoo with your son.

Waving hello to Judy.

Cathy that is a good point about elective surgery . All the pandemic people have clogged the system and sucked up resources, beds, equipment and staff. Everything is hard to schedule with even nurses in short supply and it changes as the Virus ebbs and flows in different states and different times. Who can tell when cases will surge? How can anyone plan ahead? Diane sue I hope you can get it all sorted soon.
Traffic is rough here. Very aggressive driving LA style . Lots of fast expensive sports cars or maybe that is just Scottsdale. You can’t drive the speed limit without being passed by what feels like dozens.
We are loving the riding and did the long ride from yesterday again today. I have never ridden so many days in a row. We are keeping bikes tomorrow and returning in the afternoon.

cousin and wife are trying their best to treat us well ….like royalty! we have totally different interests. We can’t interest them in hiking or riding and we don’t want to go shop or sit by the pool or hot tub. It’s funny to watch us go thru this “dance” every day.

Still quite sore today. I haven't been this level of sore in forever! Ended up doing some more upper body 1RM's because that wasn't sore. Today my shins joined in. I wore my hiking shoes yesterday and while apparently they are good for a couple hours of hiking, 4.5 hours of walking around the basically flat zoo was too much. We'll see what tomorrow brings. Derek and I went and got our boosters today and Nick got his this afternoon on campus. DH can now get his, but we need to look at the schedule and work around his job. We went to the health department this time and it was very low key and well organized.

Carolyn great job with the PHA2 workout!

Valerie I'm glad you have found some rides that you really enjoy. It is hard to stay with people whose interests are so different than you. One of the reasons its so much easier for me to visit my sister in NC where we can hike. She lives a WAY different lifestyle than I do and in our daily lives our likes and dislikes are pretty opposite. I would never in a million years have any interest in the cruise they are on right now.

Cathy too funny…. I would never ever ever go on a “regular” cruise. The LAST thing in the world I would do. But people do it and like it. That is one of those fate worse than death things.
I have read about small boats doing wildlife adventures but they are big bucks and I get motion sick on water so still highly unlikely. The basic all you can eat and drink affair is not on my wish list.

Valerie & Cathy-that makes three of us that have no interest in going on a cruise. It's just not something I would want to do. Fortunately Chris feels the same way.

Valerie-Your rides in Arizona sound really nice. Chris and I have totally different interests than some of our family members and we go through the same "dance" whenever we spend time together.

Cathy-we got our booster shots last month. We both had a couple of rough days afterwards but am glad that we got them.

Carolyn-Great job with LiTe PHA 2. That's my favorite PHA workout.

Diane Sue-I hope you can get your surgery scheduled soon.

Judy it is such fun riding here!! The trails are so nice and “flow-y”. Banked with ups and downs. Swooping turns. Enough rough spots to make it fun and challenging but not TOO hard. Wide single track so room to pass without getting into the bushes and cactus as everything has thorns. Tires don’t like thorns.!
Dry and gravelly so great traction Rode to the top of this long loop thru cactus and desert greenery ,quail running around! and then it’s a several mile fast smooth cruise looping back down. Others out riding but everyone has been courteous and inform you of how many are coming behind them. Not too crowded. ! I have never ridden so well and so fast before both up and down. People spread out there are walkers and horses too but everyone plays together well. I ride a simple hard tail while dh goes for full suspension.

REI has an adventure center here different from a retail store. Rental was much cheaper with more choices . Recommend highly!. They had helmets,cAble lock, tailgate blankets for the rental truck printed directions for riding in the area. Very nice employees .That part went great.

last night we went to an art event at a botanical garden . The chihully (not spelled right) luminaire event. The whole thing felt awkward and weird with huge lighted displays of his art. Lots of people stumbling around in the dark and these grotesque big light sculptures. It was expensive and a waste. None of us enjoyed it and we left after an hour . We will visit the garden during the day. Plants are lovely all well labeled desert plants cactus etc

Last edited:
This morning I had an early dental appointment so no workout today. I am another person with no interest in going on a cruise. It has always seemed like a nightmare scenario to me and that was before Covid. I have family and friends who love it, but I always refused to go.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

No workout today. Arm was a little sore, but mainly my shins are still really sore. Plus I had to deal with some drama this morning when Chester followed DH into his room downstairs, where he's never allowed, and apparently sprayed some CD's. Though honestly, DH startled him which usually means he stops pretty fast, I couldn't smell it, but wiped down all the CD's in that area. Seriously, if you don't want the cat in the room, and he follows you into the room, shoo him out! DH admitted he should have, but still... Since he'd never been there he likely wanted to claim the area. He gets daily medication and he's been pretty good, so hopefully it was a one off. Anyway after that I really wasn't in the mood to try and workout anyway. This afternoon I wrapped all the presents I'd bought, put stuff away, and had a sudden need to nap. Half hour later and I felt good again.

I truly don't get the cruise thing and right now the ship is at about 50% capacity and either vaccines or regular testing, and right before the cruise they had to do a video conference test so that someone watched to make sure they did it. And some ports are closed and some are very restricted as to what you can see or do. If a regular one doesn't appeal to me, that certainly doesn't!

Valerie I'm so glad that you are able to get in really great rides. The trails sound wonderful!

Today I did Cathe Live #366, PHA Super Sets 2 and the first half of Live 314, PHA Super Sets 1. Total time was 72 minutes. I liked doing 2 upper body followed by 2 lower body moves and I really liked Super Sets 2 because it was a no repeat workout.

Carolyn-I also had a dental appointment today. I agree about going on a cruise seeming like a nightmare scenario even before Covid. It just doesn't seem like fun to me at all.

Valerie-Riding in Arizona does sound like fun and I would probably love the weather so it seems like it might be a good place to visit.

We rode this morning for last time and returned the bikes. expensive to rent them but we had a great time. Would do it again in a heartbeat. My legs have never ridden this many days in a row for long rides.
Rode 3.5 hours this morning but it was cold 40 degrees so we stopped to look at birds and animal tracks often.
so funny to compare what different people think of as an ideal vacation!
I know people who have cruised and liked it. Ugh. No way. Especially with Covid and norovirus in the past…. Why would anyone want to do this??

Today I did Rev’d Up Rumble for 41 minutes and 298 calories burned. My average heart rate was 133 and maximum heart rate was 154. I went to TJ Max to pick up one gift then to the grocery store. TJ Max wasn’t really crowded, but I found it very stressful to be in there. I was in and out as soon as possible.

Diane Sue, I’m so glad to know that you now have a surgery date. That’s great that the woman who schedules called you so quickly. Getting help with coloring your hair is a good idea.

Judy, nice job with Live PHA Supersets.

Hello to Cathy and Valerie.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.