Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 12/1

Good morning, Today I did Cathe Live Metabolic Conditioning, 41 minutes, 278 calories

It sounds like everyone had a nice Thanksgiving and have been keeping up with workouts! :)

On Friday we went to a local appliance store to look for a new refrigerator for the dog club. The one there is not self defrosting so one of our members has to keep track and defrost it occasionally. A real pain. We found one and we ended up buying a new dishwasher for ourselves. :). A real impulsive buy.

My friend's ( the one that passes away a year or so ago) son-in-law that has brain cancer is now in Hospice care. It is so sad. Her daughter ( the wife) is my godchild. They are both under 40, with 2 little kids. If you remember, these are the ones I was babysitting for each Friday. Although this was expected, I think they thought they could possibly get through the holidays for one last good one...:(.

Lori, nice to have you stop by! We miss you here.

Hi to all, have a great day!

Yes, I second that.. Lori we miss having you here.
I defrost our garage freezer about every six months. I like the nonfrost free freezer there it doesn't "freezer burn" things but a pain 2x a year. my regular refrigerator freezer is frost free. I love my Bosch DW. I love to cook but I hate doing dishes. ugh. almost everything goes in the DW. I expect to need a new clothes washer soon. mine just keeps on running, as does the dryer. I almost wish it would die because it uses too much water and is noisy, but it keeps on running.

deb that is so sad. Not good news for anyone of any age, but worse with a young person in what should be their prime. Hospice makes sure you are comfortable.

we have had pleasant clear weather though pretty cold, and today it might transition to warmer and wetter with possibly some snow but has not happened yet. we may have dodged it because it was supposed to have happened very early and then switched to rain.

Did Revd up Rumble today, riding tomorrow.

Last edited:
Today is my rest day. Deb, great job with Live Metabolic Conditioning. This weekend was a good time for buying that new dishwasher with so many appliance sales everywhere. I will replace mine eventually, but it’s way down on my list of priorities since I rarely use it. That’s very sad for your friend’s son-in-law. That family has been through a lot.

Valerie, I only use my dishwasher when we have a lot of people around. I don’t really mind doing them by hand most times. I know that sounds a little weird!

Diane Sue, I hope you are over whatever caused the chills and fever. I have another dvd from Jessica Smith’s 10 Pounds Down that has 20 minute workouts for arms, legs, and abs.

Judy, happy birthday. Good for you taking the day off to enjoy yourself on your birthday.

Hello to Lori.

Today I did STS Plyo Legs, disc 26, for 46 minutes and 321 calories burned. My average heart rate was 132 and maximum heart rate was 158. After that I did the STS Extended Stretch for an additional 15 minutes and 36 calories.

Hello to everyone and have a wonderful day.

Today I did Coffey Fit Raw Box and Pump 3 Lower Body. This was a really fun workout. I know I will be using it quite a lot. I had previewed it yesterday and wrote down the format. This was 58 minutes, heart rate 130 average, 170 max, 3550 steps, 319 calories, met 6.0. I used Kelly's weights. I also did Jessica Smith Gentle Yoga neck and shoulder flow 19 minutes, 35 calories, met 2.0, heart rate average 90, max 106, 10 steps. I really like the two segments I have purchased. I would like to get the lower body flow. Total time was 77 minutes, 354 calories, 3,560 steps.
Feeling lousy today. My fever has came back and I coughed so hard my neck, shoulders, and chest are all sore. I called to try to get an appointment this afternoon and got the answering machine saying they were out to lunch 11-1, but I called at 2:40. I forced myself to go out bundled up and bought some Sambuca melts. More vitamin C. I had another C show up from Amazon that has zinc and some B vitamins in it after I came back from the store. No workout Sunday.

RAW BOX AND PUMP 57:23 minutes boxing upper body and lower weights
32# barbell, 12# and 10# dumbbells are used and near the end a loop band was used.
BOXING
Squats barbell
Squat 12# dbs
plie hold lit heels 10# dbs held together in front
BOXING
Barbell deadlift 32#
Reverse lunges 12# dbs
Good Mornings dumbbells on shoulders knees bent 10# dbs
BOXING
Front Lunge 32# barbell
Bulgarian Split Squats 12# dbs option of using a bench or step or doing on the floor
Curtsy Lunge 10# dbs
BOXING
Loop band work
side to side step
squat side to side
kick leg back alternating
BOXING
Loop Band Work
Side lying clam shell
Bridge with loop open and close knees
Stretch

Deb, that is so sad when they are young and have children. I do remember you watching the children. I am sure this makes the Christmas season rough for them.

Valerie, we have had our washing machine now for 7 years. It doesn't seem like that long ago to me though. It has started sounding really loud when spinning. I had never noticed it sounding like that before. I am not sure I like the water saver tub. Sometimes I look in the glass top and it seems the clothes are not covered with water and it is just swishing them back and forth. I have to use those washer cleaners to keep it from smelling. One day I discovered that there was some mold build up under the rubber rim around it and scrubbed that all down and I wipe it down inside as well. I don't remember having a problem with the old washers that lasted forever and covered the clothes with water. The hill rides would be tough. Nice work.

Carolyn, nice work on Plyo Legs. I looked up 10# down and I believe there was three discs. 2 are not available. It seems one was total body and one body parts.

Lori, I agree, you are missed here on the check in.

this machine is close to 25 yo I think. I saw the old receipt and manual not long ago when looking for something else. the dryer is similar. a top load, the only thing I will buy. newer ones weigh the load and add water accordingly. this one has only 3 levels. I have seen the front loaders with barely enough water to get things humid! I don't want to waste water but I do want things actually washed. no savings if you have to re-do the load.

wow, diane sue you are back to some serious weights and workouts. did not take long. If I were you though, I'd take a couple days off and rest & get over whatever bug you have. I am willing to work hard, like today, the long road uphill is very tough.... but not if I am sick.

I have been just sitting around. I do want to get in some yoga and a bit of movement. Fever is down to 90 so not really much of a fever if at all. Still coughing though. I called and the heart center about changing my appointment for tomorrow for the CT but again they just said leave a detailed message. I just don't think I can lie still without coughing, which is what happens when I lay down on my back. I know it doesn't take very long. Also don't want to make someone else sick.

Valerie, my washing machine is not a front load. I think it must not always weigh the loads right? Sometimes I see just enough water when I look down in it to cover and other times it does not even cover the clothes. A lot of the time I set it for second rinse to be sure they are rinsed and hopefully clean. I do worry about the top being glass as I leave it open so it can air out and have this fear of an earthquake or something shaking the house and sending it crashing down. That is not likely, but I tend to worry about it none the less. If I worry too much I stick something in the lid so it does not close all of the way so air can get inside.

This morning I did RWH Back, Biceps, and Shoulders. I did the timesaver with 2 sets of each exercise and no finishers. My time was 33 minutes with 157 calories burned. Average heart rate was 117 and maximum heart rate was 143. I was careful with bicep exercises and I used dumbbells instead of the barbell. My elbow is a little sore, something that is aggravated when I do bicep exercises.

Diane Sue, good job getting your workouts done yesterday even though you don’t feel well. Maybe you should take it easy for a couple of days until you get better.

Valerie, my washing machine was only 12 years old, but it did not level and balance properly. Water would splash over the tub and make a puddle on the floor. It had reached the point where we could only wash small loads on the delicate cycle to avoid the leaking and loud noise.

Hello to Deb, Judy, and Lori.

I know lots of people with front loaders. I heard plenty of bad things about them. the smells and mold issues around the door. taking forever to go thru a cycle. not using enough water to clean things. the washer I bought for montana is a top load without an agitator. LG. I love it!. It weighs the load and decides how much water is needed. it works well, fast, holds a massive amount of clothing compared to ones with a central agitator. doesn't seem to have balance problems. the only issue is big pieces of fabric, like sheets can make almost a balloon and hold all the other items inside. looks like a giant mushroom! when my old one here dies, I will get another LG. it keeps on plugging along. Loud leaking and unbalanced..... time to get a new machine. I don't believe any computerized appliance will last anywhere near as long as old simple ones did.

we went for a short walk/hike this morning for an hour but area was not pleasant so bagged it. will do something else later.

diane sue good luck on the testing tomorrow.

I changed the Heart CT to Monday. I am just coughing too much. I made a doctor appointment and was lucky to get my doctor. She is only there a couple of days a week because she has RA. I go in the morning. I am hoping that she can help me get over this so I don't spend the Christmas season sick. Today I did Jessica Smith 30 minute Power Walk and her Gentle Yoga Chest and Back Flow. I had no fever till I vacuumed and did some housework. It went up to 100 and keeps dropping and coming back.

Valerie, my washer does not have an agitator either. It is not a computerized washer. Just pretty basic other than being a water saver machine. I don't push buttons other than if I want extra rinse or use the fabric softener button. I do not gum up my washer or dryer with fabric softener anymore. It really clumps up in there and I have read bad things about it. I will try something else like those wool balls or whatever they are if I need it. My washer is a Bravo I think a lower level of Maytag. It has been a good washer for the most part. I have not had complaints till lately. Yes, sheets and blankets end up like a huge mushroom in the washer.

I have only had my washing machine go off balance a few times and that was putting heavy things in there and not having the clothing balanced well. A few times water on the floor and I realized it was a natural laundry soap I was using that claimed HE, but I ended up cutting back how much I used and it stopped. Same thing happened in my dishwasher with some natural dishwasher soap and I cut down how much since that one was a powder with a scoop. I guess you learn.

I did stacked upper body later today. that plus the walk was enough.

diane sue, you need to settle down and rest. ( IMO) when you are sick it's better to back off and stay quiet and warm so you can recover. relapsing doesn't speed things up. I would not want to be sick over the holidays either. sometimes the fastest way to get better, again IMO, is couch potato for a few days. when I feel sick, I have natural tendency to curl up and sleep...maybe because I never had children and could afford to do that.

I'm not a fabric softener fan either. I use unscented dryer sheets. that's it. I hate the stinking perfumes that seem to be in all laundry products. when I smell them, I get a soapy taste in my mouth, and I don't want my clothes to smell "perfumey". I've had luck with bed sheets by tying them in a loose overhand knot before putting them in the new washer. Hard to do after everything is wet! one sheet on each side is balanced, and that keeps them from pouffing up into a mushroom. keeps other small things from getting trapped inside most of the time. never happened with the center agitator, but with nothing in the middle, sheets can inflate like crazy. my old clothes washer gets off balance easily so I never run it if I'm not here to fix it.

Deb, where have you been? are you buried in snow? sorry weather reports out here clump the northeast into one area without any detail.

Last edited:
This morning I did Jessica Smith’s 40 Minute Mega Burn for 40 minutes and 267 calories burned. Average heart rate was 127 and maximum heart rate was 159. I also did the JS Gentle Yoga Neck and Shoulders flow for an additional 19 minutes.

Diane Sue, I decided to try the JS Neck and Shoulders flow that you had done earlier. I had done the other practices from the dvd, but not neck and shoulders. I’m glad that I tried it and will use it again. It was smart of you to reschedule your heart CT until you are better.

Valerie, great job with Stacked Sets Upper Body.

Hello to Deb, Judy, and Lori.

Hi Everyone,

Sunday I did a 45 minute Peloton ride. Monday I did XTrain Cardio Leg Blast, Strength Only with Core 2 and the 100 Rep Scarecrow and Biceps challenges. Yesterday I did Yin Yoga after work and today I did LiTe PHA2 with the bonus pyramid biceps. I also did a 10 minute Peloton ride as a warmup and a 15 minute ride as a cool down. It's so cold here this week, but no significant snow yet.

Deb-I'm so sorry about your friend's son in law. That is extremely sad.

Diane Sue-You've been doing some great workouts this week. I hope you are feeling better and aren't sick for the holidays. It's probably a good idea to rest for a few days to be safe. There is so much going around.

Valerie-You've been getting in some great workouts. Nice that you've been getting bike rides and hiking in too!

Carolyn-the JS Gentle Yoga Neck and Shoulders flow sounds like one I should try.

Hi to Lori,

Judy

I did not do a workout today. Just really did not feel like doing anything. I went to the doctor and stopped at Sprouts on the way home which was a mistake. It is a lot allergies and acute bronchitis. She gave me a steroid injection . I think I am done with those for quite some time. I got into Sprouts and was not coughing till I got to the cash register and had my stuff put up by the register. I had a huge non stop coughing and sneezing episode with tears coming out of my eyes trying to hold it back. It was so embarrassing. No fever today though. When I got home the only things I did one rest, cook dinner, and wash a load of clothes.
I would like to know what allergy is bothering me as the pollen reports say low/medium. I would have liked a break. The doctor did say the fevers have to be something else there too.

Valerie, I like some scent in my laundry, but there are some that are so overpowering. I had a friend use my machine once and used gain in the green box. It was so strong I smelled it in my house and washing machine for a couple of days. I did pretty much rest today. I needed the shopping trip though. Things I really needed and was putting off. It is amazing how children and family can seem to not allow the just lie down and rest that we should have.

Carolyn, I really like the two JS Gentle Yoga segments I purchased and am sure I will pick up the other two. Which series is the JS Mega Burn on? Or is it an individual workout?

Judy, I really do like the movements JS uses on the neck and shoulders flow. Some are similar to my PT but with a different twist. I will be using it a lot. You really should try it. I should keep in mind the X Train Cardio Leg Blast strength only mix.

I did rock em sock em yesterday a 35 min premix. Day got away from me! Bunch of errands and another run to goodwill. Still lots more to go but got rid of some bulky stuff that’s hung here for years. The tennis rackets are now in the trash. !

Diane sue, see an allergist. Get tested. testing is better than it used to be. You must be sensitive to something unusual but common. just knowing what it is might help. when I found out about the my grass allergy, I thought it would be impossible to avoid but it wasn't. two high exposure things ( lawn mowing, golf) took it down to a level barely noticeable. I had desensitization shots too. I had a lot of other things testing positive but they aren't things that cause a problem.

Judy, I was laughing at all the flak Peloton is getting over their spin commercial. I didn't think it was as offensive as apparently a lot of women did. so funny sometimes to see how differently people can view the same thing.

Today I did Great Glutes for 56 minutes and 202 calories burned. Average heart rate was 104 and maximum heart rate was 132. It was a lot of work for such a small number of calories. Of course half of it is done on the stability ball and the floor.

Diane Sue, I’m sorry that you are having such a hard time. There was a period when I would get bronchitis almost every year. It would start with allergy problems and develop into bronchitis. Fortunately that doesn’t happen much anymore. The coughing seems to linger after the other symptoms are gone. The JS 40 Minute Mega Burn is from the 30 Day Plan, a three dvd set. It’s on the Three Weight Loss Walks dvd.

Valerie, I agree about the Peloton ad. I didn’t view it as sexist and offensive at all. All of the fuss over the ad seems ridiculously funny to me.

Deb, are you okay this week?

Hello to Judy and Lori.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.