Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 11/3

Friday I did Jessica Smith Step and Stride before we left town. This morning I did Jessica Smith You Tube starting with Boot Camp Boogie for 6 minutes (I stopped after the jacks and a few boxing moves) I went on and did Cardio Barefoot Flow. Workouts were 43 minutes, heart rate average 122, max 165, 204 calories, 2073 steps. That is it.

Good evening,

We got back late yesterday afternoon, and we were exhausted. John fell, basically right on his face, on the sidewalk outside of the arena...the wind was so bad, carrying some stuff into the place he lost his balance. He is lucky his nose wasn't broken, and he really jammed his thumb. No "Q's" either, but we had some fun runs.

Diane Sue, how was the trip? that is good that you are up on what the meds can do and any side effects. Also, that your daughter is a medical person and knows a lot about those drugs as well.

Valerie, call it an Active Recovery week, although not as active as yours normally would be.

Carolyn, nice job on the workouts!

Hi to Lori and Judy,

Take care.

I got back late last night. wow, exhausted. air travel does me in, plus I simply could not sleep well. it was too warm for me but everyone else was cold ( how can that be??) so not much to be done to change things. very inactive week by my standards but we still walked a few miles every day. it was good to get together with my friends but wow, we are different. Sedona is not an area for me, way too many people and WAY too touristy. blech. everyone else loved it. I don't do this kind of vacation. I would not do this! I loved being together but not the inactivity.
I did stacked upper body and the following ab workout today along with chores and clean up. sorry, I am not caught up on what everyone is doing. Deb, hope John is OK. that must have hurt.

Hi Everyone,

Saturday was a rest day. I worked 2-10 pm so I did get some exercise there but no formal workout. Yesterday I did Jessica Smith's Boost Metabolism & Muscle, Upper and Lower Circuits. This week I will be adding in the ICE Muscle Meltdowns along with Jessica Smith's Walk Strong strength work. I will also be doing Peloton rides tomorrow and Wednesday.

Deb-Prayers that you don't get picked for the Grand Jury! I'm sorry about John's fall :( that sounds painful. I hope he isn't too sore.

Valerie-I bet you are glad to be home. I agree with Deb, you should just call it an active recovery week. That reminds me, I should probably do one of those soon. Maybe over Thanksgiving.

Diane Sue-Nice job with the workouts! I don't think I've done Stride & Step yet.

Hi to Carolyn & Lori!

Judy

Judy, I actually would not take a full week. I think its one reason I couldn't sleep well. the other reasons were it was too warm, and not dark enough. I worked out yesterday, and got the first decent nights sleep in over a week.
good to take breaks but a week is too long. I didn't want to do "show-offy". it was so obvious that I was in much better physical shape. even balance issues... they would not walk up a stone stairway on an easy trail that was slightly uneven and didn't have hand rails. one lady would not step to the second step on a step stool. everyone seemed afraid to push themselves, even a little. my mantra to myself for years, when meeting something that's challenging, is "Do it anyway!" If I get a little sore, it'll get better in 2 days, and next time its easier. JFDI. will do some cardio today, maybe spin.
I thoroughly enjoyed visiting with them. would do it again next year if we can.

deb good luck on not getting picked. we need to participate to keep the system working but I would not enjoy it either.

Today I did Gym Style Back, Shoulders, and Biceps. My time was 58 minutes with 280 calories burned. My average heart rate was 113 and maximum heart rate was 152. Great workout.

Deb, I hope that your husband wasn’t seriously injured with that fall. I thought about you when I heard what the weather was like in your area. Good luck with the jury duty.

Judy, nice job with the JS upper and lower circuits. I like the workouts from Boost Metabolism + Muscle.

Valerie, coming home and getting back to your routine always feels good.

Hello to Diane Sue and Lori.

This morning I got up and started early expecting to help my grandson with his car that he was taking to the shop. So I did something that I would not mind doing since I had already showered. I did Jessica Smith Walk Strong Build strength and balance #3 agility and balance, 30 minutes, heart rate average 120, max 146, 974 steps, 134 calories. I used my medium green band. I then did PT exercises and a couple of add on exercises. One that I saw on John Bergman chiropractor you tube for the shoulders. He had the woman wear ankle weights around her wrists and alternate arms forward and back (gently and not far) to help the shoulder joint heal. He said she should put moist hear on afterward. He did the same thing for knees and meniscus healing moving hanging feet forward and back alternating while sitting with legs dangling. Just small moves for a few minutes. I found it interesting. Shoulders are worked on after neck correction is done. Anyway, I spent 30 minutes on these moves and it was 45 calories. The rest of the day was busy and the hot water heater decided to start leaking water out the top. I had to go outside and cut off the water since I did not know how to do it on the electric hot water heater. I guess we are going to be buying a hot water heater. My husband tried to reseat the hot water outlet, but the water is coming out under the edges of it where it opens up a bit. It is going to be cold showers till we can do this.

Deb, I am sorry your husband fell. That is good he did not get hurt too bad. I had a friend that decided to take a large dog they had adopted for a run and it pulled her over and she face planted the pavement. Sorry there was no Q's, but glad it was fun anyway. We had a nice time on our road trip. I will have to post a picture. I cringe at the thought of jury duty. I hope you do not have to do it.

Valerie, my parents lived in Sedona for a few years after I left home. I think I was 20 then. I don't remember it being crowded back then. My parents lived in a large house on a hill kind of out of the city a bit. We did lots of walking around out there. There are ruins in the rocks around there that are/were interesting. I am glad you enjoyed your time even though it was not an active visit.

Judy, I like Step and Stride. It doesn't take a lot of room and she uses the high step topper. I put two risers under it though. Her moves are very simple.

Carolyn, nice work today.

Hi to Lori.

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I tried to do a Peloton ride but the readings on the screen kept dropping out and the ride was stalling. I checked all the connections to make sure something wasn't loose, then I restarted the bike several times but that didn't help. I ended up doing an easy 90 minute aerobic base ride on my Cyclops instead. It was nice to use my old bike again. I emailed Peloton support and they gave me instructions for doing a hard reboot of the Peloton touch screen. I had to set it up all over again, just like they did when it was delivered. I tried another ride after that and it still didn't work. I'm waiting for a response from tech support to see what to do next.

Valerie-It is really hard for me to take an entire week off too. Whenever I try to do an active rest week, I usually end up with maybe only 3-4 days of taking it easy before I feel like I need to workout harder again. Balance is so important. I've been focusing more on that lately.

Diane Sue-I haven't done the Build Strength and Balance one yet. I will try that soon. The PT exercises that you added on sound good. I'm sorry about your hot water heater. We had to replace ours a couple of years ago.

Carolyn-Great workout! The Gym Style workouts are so good! I should put them into my next strength rotation.

Hi to Deb & Lori!

Judy

Good morning,

Today I did Cathe Live Metabolic Meltdown, 42 Minutes, 281 calories. Also, no actual workouts this past weekend, but Friday did 13,985 steps and Saturday, 12001 steps. I was picked for one of the Grand Jury groups, figures. I will be going 3 days a week, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. Ugh....not happy. We do get the Friday after Thanksgiving off...( whoopee!)...I would have liked it if they gave us the Wednesday before. Makes it hard for us to get ready for 20 people the next day. John is a lot better, his nose and knee are banged up, but at least he did not get a concussion.

Judy, you may not have done an actual workout, but working at Hd for that many hours, probably had your steps in the 5 figure range. Sometimes the more electronics that come with something, the more prone to "bugs" it is. Hope you get it back to normal.

Valerie, it is sad that so many of your friends are that out of shape. How many of you were there? Were these friends from school, or work?

Carolyn, kudos for doing Gym Styles, its a great series and not an easy one!

Diane Sue, that exercise with the heat following sounds interesting. Let us know how you are afterwards, if it helped etc. Sorry about the hot water heater....as my cousin and I always say. .." It's always something!!"

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

This morning I did KCM’s Cardio Quick Fix, both workouts. Total time was 45 minutes with 339 calories burned. My average heart rate was 132 and maximum heart rate was 157.

Diane Sue, nice job with the JS Agility and Balance workout and PT exercises. I don’t think that I have done that Jessica workout. I should look at it again to remind myself what it’s like. I’m sorry about your hot water heater. We had that happen a few years ago and cold showers are not fun!

Judy, it must be very annoying to have technical difficulties with the new Peloton bike. It’s good that you still have your old one.

Deb, great job with the Cathe Live Metabolic Meltdown. You might not have done a structured workout, but that’s an amazing number of steps for the weekend. Sorry about the jury duty.

Hello to Valerie and Lori. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Deb, I have been friends with two of them since kindergarten, and the third since high school. so 4 of us. went thru much of college together too. so we managed to stay connected all this time. we are quite different in our likes and dislikes, families, religions etc. I'm the "physical activity" one of the bunch. it shows. we are able to laugh a lot about our different preferences. they vary in ability, but one person has some serious heart/lung issues, so we can't do more than she can handle, which is not much. the 2 others could do better if they tried. balance I'm not sure about. hiking rough terrain and bike riding. maybe that keeps things working well? strength training helps. yoga. I'm careful but I can scurry up a ladder or mt bike down a singletrack trail without worry. regular practice? overall, I am much stronger.
Bummer on the Grand jury ... might be interesting...…... lemons to lemonade and all that. I enjoyed seeing how the system worked, but still glad I didn't get picked. those step counts are impressive, enough to count for an active day

Judy a bummer.. software issues. hope they fix quickly. my spin bike has a minimal computer that doesn't work very well but I always use a cathe dvd, I KNOW I'm working hard. I have to keep pushing buttons for it to trackanything, and heart rate is least reliable, no matter the chest strap. I get "cadence" and That's useful.

diane sue too bad on the water heater. DH and I did our last one ourselves so we didnt have to wait. Sedona is a huge tourist town now, with stunning real estate prices. if you dont make a lot of money, you live somewhere else,is what we heard. its pretty there and about 20 degrees cooler than PHX but still hot IMO. I'd hoped to visit ruins but my friend was not up to doing uphill. I gave up the idea when I saw how tough walked was for her, and the other two were not a lot better. we stopped at Montezuma castle monument nearby, a flat 1/4 mile walk. there are fascinating ruins everywhere in the southwest.

I did half hour on elliptical yesterday , otherwise ran around shopping etc. today I did a 36 min spin premix from Cycle Sweat. I miss the count down timer but its still OK for me.

Last edited:
This morning I got brave and tried a bit more with my workout. I did Coffey Fit Raw Box and Pump (the first one) 60 minutes (51 actual, but I wrote down the moves) , met 4.7, 249 calories, heart rate 118, max 157, 2419 steps. I used mostly 5,8,and 10# dbs for the pyramids. Lower body I upped it to 15 as the highest. I didn't want to push upper too hard as I have mainly used the bands and 1-5# dbs. I modified a couple of moves, like the flies, I did them lying on a rolled towel like I do with the band for therapy. The towel goes lengthwise down the spine. I finished with Jessica Smith You Tube yoga stretch, 35 minutes, heart rate average 92, max 132, 52 calories, 50 steps. Total time was 95 minutes, 301 calories, 2,469 steps. Fit Bit sure doesn't give me many calories. I took a cold bath this morning and tried to wash clothes in cold water and that hot water heater started spewing out water again. My husband turned the valve off on top. I don't get it. I had to go outside and cut the water off, so now I have no water. My son is coming over tonight and they are going to go get another hot water heater.

Deb, the move with heat afterward worked out well. He uses a damp cloth heated in the microwave for the moist heat. That is simple enough. The chiro said depending on how bad the joint is, done daily it can help the problem mend itself. After all the body is living tissue and can mend itself given time. Generally without meds and surgery. Glad to hear John is a lot better.

Valerie, the sad thing with Montezuma's Castle is you can not climb all up in the ruins anymore. When I was a kid, we climbed all through it. People kept taking stuff and were tearing it up, so the last time I was there a lot was roped off. There are small ruins all over, but you do have to do some hiking to get to them. When my Dad lived in Sedona he was renting and the house was amazingly large and secluded looking down over the city. I don't think he paid much for it. My Dad and mother did a lot of repairs and cleaning. I am sure it probably would have sold for a lot. He was there starting to pastor a new church so income was not great. Amazing how things change. My husband plans on installing the hot water heater himself. My son will probably help.

Carolyn, I really like this balance series of JS that I purchased. Nice job on your workout today.

Carolyn,

Judy, I hope they help get your Peloton working properly. That would be frustrating.

Pictures from our road trip. I wish I would have got a better shot of the winding road up ahead.

Attachments

• Talemina drive resize.JPG
    Talemina drive resize.JPG
    334 KB · Views: 11
  • Diane Talemina resized.JPG
    Diane Talemina resized.JPG
    481 KB · Views: 12
This morning I did Gym Style Legs, a timesaver premix. Total time was 34 minutes with 186 calories burned. Average heart rate was 119 and maximum heart rate was 144. I did the standing segment only.

Diane Sue, great workout yesterday. You seem to be getting back to your normal level of activity. Your pictures are great and you look fabulous!

Valerie, that’s great that you had a good visit with your friends. As you have shown, you can manage the different physical abilities and still enjoy each other.

Hello to Deb, Judy, and Lori.

My workout today was Kelly Coffey Strong and Lean kickboxing(lean) from her newest dvds. I had not done this one yet. It took me a bit, but I ended up liking it. It just started out slow to me and I didn't care for the starting soundtrack I guess. This was 32 minutes, heart rate average 149, max 188, met 8.5, 222 calories, 2,923 steps. I then did Jane Adams yoga desk work along with Yoga Tune Up upper back and some extra work with my therapy balls. This was 29 minutes, 41 calories, met 2. Total time was 61 minutes, 263 calories, 2,931 steps.
I am tired, I got to bed late since my husband and son were at first trying to fix the hot water heater, then ended up going back and buying a new one and installing it. Then Gertie came in my room to tell me she really needed to go outside. So, I got up and let her out at 3 am and it took her so long to come back to the door I had gotten dressed to go see what was going on. She was fine though. I think a large dog treat I purchased at Sprouts must have upset her stomach. She never comes in our room unless it is bath time or she has an emergency. She loves her baths (showers). it was nice to have running hot water this morning :) I need to look at the premixes on this Kelly workout. They have one that says no lower on it. They have kickboxing with different intervals like all tubing, all barbell, all dumbbell, all tubing. I was hoping one of those would be lower body.

Carolyn, thanks :) I am happy that I am able to do more with the workouts. Nice work on Gym Styles. I have almost forgotten the format of those. I remember doing the timesavers quite a bit. I guess that is the beauty of doing Cathe's rotations.

Agree..., great pics! oh yes, warm water is nice, isnt it?
Utah is full of sites for ruins and rock art too as is Nevada. I love hiking to places that are easy to get close to, but my friends would never make it. they are creatures of pavement.

I am staying on plan to workout every day for the week. yesterday we did a hike ( route not a trail) we've done many times before. short but steep and extremely messy. slippery mud, ice, crusty snow conditions the whole way. might be the last time this season depending on weather. no snow or ice on the road, but in a few hundred feet up we got into snow and ice. took us an hour 9 minutes to get up and an hour back down. so not long, but intense. I use poles, also hang onto tree limbs and brush a lot. definitely a total body workout. today we will mt bike. my legs got a little sore but not bad.

I agree on the flexibility of cathe's workouts. I never paid attention to premixes for no particular reason. I didn't appreciate the flexibility they offer. I especially like Abs without backing to the TOC and going to Bonuses. easy to do seamlessly, makes Abs more likely to get done.

This morning I did a timesaver from Rockout Knockout for 43 minutes and 313 calories burned. My average heart rate was 133 and maximum heart rate was 155. I went to a memorial service afterwards for a wonderful woman from my church. It was an amazing and uplifting service. I know why she was such a special person to me, but the outpouring of love from so many people was so inspiring.

Valerie and Diane Sue, I totally agree about the flexibility with Cathe’s workouts. The premixes allow me to adjust the workouts to what I want to do on any given day.

Hello to Deb, Judy, and Lori.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.