Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 11/21

Traildoggie

Cathlete
good morning. we are off to do a walk in the park so will check in later.

back from our walk. saw partridges, eagles, dippers. . found 2 coyotes close to the road playing. they were such fun to watch!. incredibly playful and agile. they really incredible animals if you don't have to worry about them killing your pets. this was very close to where I spotted the wolf yesterday. further on we saw 3 more coyotes also close to the road but they were just traveling along minding their own business. . also bison, many elk, pronghorns and several hers of bighorns.

Last edited:
Trip back went very smoothly. No issues at all. Now just have to do it again Saturday. Planning to leave a bit earlier to make sure he gets into his room, I check into my hotel and we have time to eat before the 6:30 hockey game. This morning I did Kickboxing Plus Core, and my Xtrain leg workout. Derek and I went and visited my parents. Need to politely get my brother agree to do Christmas with them separately, since he and his wife aren't vaxxed and my husband is immune compromised. Also, saw that the Michigan Health department will soon recommend that everyone at holiday gatherings mask even if vaxxed.

Valerie what a cool walk seeing so many different animals! Apparently, it's not just the midwest. Western NC also has a lot of deer activity at least when it comes to my sisters family and cars.

Diane Sue I sure hope you get some answers soon. Never a good time, but holidays are especially rough when you have physical issues.

Hi to Judy and Carolyn.

Well, time just got away from me today! It’s another rest day, but I have been busy all day with small tasks that all took longer than I planned.

Valerie, that sounds like a nice walk with so much wildlife to see.

Cathy, I’m glad that you had a safe trip home. Great job with getting the workout today. That’s a tough conversation to have with family. Thankfully all of my family is vaccinated but we won’t have a large gathering this year. Even my 10 year old grandson is fully vaccinated since he participated in the study for his age group. They will be our only family for Thanksgiving.

Diane Sue, I’m glad that you are taking it easy. Please be careful and stick to activities that will be kind to your body.

Hello to Judy.

cathy that will be a tough conversation especially with family. I believe another surge after thanksgiving travel and family get togethers will happen. will affect plans for further holiday get togethers. everyone wants to act like we are done with this virus, chuck the masks and distancing, but clearly we are not. we are traveling by plane soon to visit family and it makes me nervous. we are vaccinated as are the people we will be visiting, but travel involves all kinds of exposures.

we decided to drive back tomorrow for a variety of reasons. we knew this wasn't a long trip. traffic should not be off-the-charts like Wednesday

Today I did RWH Back, Biceps, and Shoulders, 2 sets + Finishers. My time was 47 minutes with 173 calories burned. Average heart rate was 109 and maximum heart rate was 154.

Valerie, driving back tomorrow is smart. Travel on the day before Thanksgiving is always a nightmare!

Hello to Everyone and have a wonderful day.

Today I did RWH Low Impact Hiit One. With my brother I'm pretty much just gonna say "here's what we're gonna do." He does best with clear directions. It'll help that because of when Nick comes home, we'll have to go to my parents after Christmas. Derek and I are doing the local zoo tomorrow, but I'll have time to workout as we're going after lunch. Small zoo, and we can do it 2-3 times in a couple hours. I made an appointment for my booster Dec 14 and I'm going to see if Derek can go at the same time. That's right after he comes back home for winter break. And I didn't want to do it close to the day I go get him, which was the only thing sooner.

Carolyn great job with RWH Back, Biceps and Shoulders! I really need to check that series out more thoroughly, as there's very few of those workouts I've done.

Valerie safe travels tomorrow!

Today I did RWH Low Impact HiiT One. My time was 28 minutes and 194 calories burned. Average heart rate was 132 and maximum heart rate was 158.

Cathy, I like the Low Impact HiiT quite a bit. RWH is a good series, but I quickly realized that I need to do small bits of the cardio rather than a full rotation. The strength workouts are good.

Valerie, I hope that your drive today is uneventful.

Hello to Judy and Diane Sue.

good morning. drive was long and stuck in commuter traffic in the last 2 hours. some snow in passes, just enough to be greasy slick, right around freezing temp. careful, watched speed. all went Ok.

have not done a decent workout but will do it today sometime. need to pick up mail etc and get minimal groceries this morning so I don't get snagged in the afternoon shopping madness. all I need is some lettuce so that should not be too bad.

No workout for me today. My daughter and her family arrived yesterday. Today is baking day and I am making a German’s chocolate cake and pumpkin ginger streusel pie.

Valerie, I’m glad that you made it back safely.

Hello to everyone and have a wonderful day.

Today I did an hour and 40 minutes of Peloton rides. I didn't plan on doing that much but I felt good and just kept going. The first 45 minutes I rode hard, the rest was pretty light.

Carolyn-Great job with RWH Low Impact HiiT One. I agree about RWH, the strength work is very good. I really like the 2 sets with finishers premixes.

Valerie-That's good that you made it back home ok.

Hi to Cathy & Diane Sue

Yesterday I did Core Cardio Challenge and Total Body Stability Ball. The first one has the cardio first and core at the end. It's a really good workout. Fair amount of impact. The second is kind of rough on shoulders since most of the leg work has you holding the ball over your head. I skipped the core at the end, since I'd already done core. Then Derek and I went to the zoo. First winter coat trip this season. Fortunately they only have two small buildings because it's rather warm in a coat. Toledo is the worst in winter because they have a LOT of buildings, so it's ever changing layers. Today was shopping. Whole Foods was really busy, really high masking percentage though.

Carolyn great job with the Low Impact Hiit! Enjoy your time with your daughter and her family.

Valerie sorry you ran into traffic issues. I was surprised traffic wasn't heavier on the highways when I shopped today.

Judy great job with the Peloton rides!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Just a quick check in. No workouts at all here. My shoulder is really painful and my daughter called and told me to get on the phone and call my arthritis doctors office and fine out about the orthopedic surgeon. She is such an encourager :) She said I am too patient and they probably forgot. I called and they sent me to the doctor's nurse and I got a recording and explained what I wanted. Low and behold the orthopedic doctor called me up shortly after and set me up the earliest appointment she could get for me and that is December 8th. So I am still dealing with lots of pain and sleep issues. Also I am dog sitting.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Diane Sue, I’m glad that you finally have the orthopedic appointment. I’m sorry that you have such pain.

Judy, great job with that long Peloton ride. An hour and 40 minutes is quite impressive!

Cathy, great job with Core Cardio Challenge and Total Body Stability Ball. Holding the ball overhead is hard on the shoulders.

Hello to Valerie. Have a wonderful day everyone.

I picked up the mail, zipped to the grocery, grabbed lettuce and fruit and got out in a fast efficient trip. traffic was heavy already, but everyone in the store was still filling their carts so whizzed up to the checkout and was out! success!! we are doing a quiet dinner ourselves so no chaotic rush. we picked the right day to drive. looking back on the roads on wed was harsh. they got an unexpected snow and there was ice and snow and crashes everywhere. we texted with our neighbor who said that it was beautiful with 3 inches of fresh but they didn't have to drive anywhere. I forget approximate mileage but about 800 miles. bad road conditions would make that a very tough day. loads of truck traffic on the interstate. glad we did it when we did, and didn't wait until today. .
later I did a 40 min spin and therapy exercises. I don't think it's helping so made an orthopedic appointment for next week. hopefully a cortisone shot will settle this down. I bypassed the PA I saw before for a surgeon I've seen before. also asked nicely to have my DH come with me. they have a policy of patients only but I want him with me so I have two docs opinions.

wow Judy that is a long ride indoors. Strong work!
Carolyn the pie and GC cake sound so good! I am making a plain pumpkin pie. I dont want too many goodies hanging around with only the two of us to eat them. I love GC cake but its been ages since I had any. I doubt WW could do anything that resembles it. probably should not mess with perfection.

diane sue so sorry the shoulder has been so tough. you might call the office every week day and ask if they have any cancellations so you can get in sooner. some offices keep a "cancellation" list of people looking for earlier appointments. calling yourself daily might find something sooner. its worth trying if your schedule is flexible. every office handles cancellations differently but sometimes you can get something much sooner.

Cathy, while we were in MT it was unseasonably mild without much snow. the deer and elk were mostly still up in higher territory. it must be tough to deal with a lot of deer all year.! we are especially watchful when seasons are changing and at dawn and dusk. we had a small local herd of mule deer( so pretty!) on our driveway when we were coming home from our neighbors. we go slowly so we don't spook them. I love it when they hang out near our house. we have a huge gully that gives them cover and deer /elk use it to move around without being visible to the road. our house is a good wind break. the herd hangs out on the lee side. they learn which properties are deer friendly and spend more time there.

This morning I did Cardio Quick Fix, workout one for 25 minutes and 186 calories burned. My average heart rate was 132 and maximum heart rate was 161. We had a wonderful Thanksgiving family and good food. I ate what I wanted without feel like I was stuffed. I try to make several low calorie vegetable side dishes to balance the other food on the table.

Valerie, good job on getting to the store and avoiding the crowds. You are right about WW and low calorie holiday dessert—not worth the trouble for me. I have some things that I do for everyday like nonfat Greek yogurt with lemon curd or pumpkin butter that I make myself. For holidays I prefer to have a small amount of the real thing that will actually satisfy me. I don’t make them for just the two of us, but I don’t have to worry about that when my son-in-law is here! Between him and the kids, dessert hanging around is not an issue.

Hello to Diane Sue, Judy, and Cathy. I hope that you had a nice Thanksgiving.

I did another spin yesterday, a 39 minute pedal power premix, then therapy exercises, and x train core 1. there are bridges, squats and lunges in the therapy so it's not "nothing". today will be weights.

we had a delicious dinner last night without over doing it. I love sweet potatoes roasted with chili powder. made a turkey roast, one of the no-defrost ones. they are good and so easy. I never cared much ffor dressing or gravy so skipped them entirely. I made a pumpkin pie. haven't had in a long time. tasted incredibly good. I don't have dessert often. I was amazed at how good it was. I'm sure it's not diet food but it's not over-the-top either.
carolyn that is the main issue. we now have most of a delicious pie left and no one to help eat it.

Valerie, I like to slice leftover pie or cake into individual servings and freeze them that way. Then we can have a controlled amount of dessert on occasion.

can custardy pie with a regular pie crust survive the freezer? I've frozen things with crumb crust. I never froze a baked pie before. I tried cheesecake but that didn't work well.
DH might solve the problem by eating pie for his morning snack instead of the sweet bread I've been giving him a hard time about. 16 points a slice. I dont see a way to reduce the point hit significantly. fat,flour, sugar even if it has some zucchini, winter squash, or banana. adds up to a lot of damage.

Last edited:
Yes, I have frozen both pumpkin and sweet potato pie. If you heat the thawed slices in 375 degree oven the crust will be intact. If you heat in the microwave the crust will not be flaky but will still taste good. My slice of pie was the equivalent of my total daily points, but was worth it! Real food for real life.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.