Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 11/11

Lori, if you have a store that sells bulk foods you could watch for sales and just purchase a lot and put them in the freezer to keep till you are ready to grind. Make sure they taste fresh though. I did that once with macadamia nuts at Sprouts and bought over 20 dollars worth of stale macadamia nuts. Someone was not doing their job as I know at Sprouts they generally remove the stuff at the bottom add the new and top it with the old. I have watched them. One time I saw a guy putting fruit on the shelf and I grabbed from the fruit he had on his cart that was new.
Funny you should mention the coffee grinder pot. I have noticed recently that every time I pull the laundry out of the dryer and stand at the table folding them, Gertie runs to her crate in the sun room. I don't think she likes me shaking them out to fold them. I have started calling her back and petting her and talking to her. I don't know why that would bother her. Almost like the flyswatter.
Your workout sounds great. I saved some of those bounce workouts of Linda Woolridge's on my YouTube. I should try some.

Diane Sue-I liked the music in this one more than in some of her others. I noticed my knees were bothering me a little after the workout. I think it was from all the lunge moves.

Lori-Great workout today. That sounds like a fun Thanksgiving. Hope you have a great trip!

Reactions: WD
Judy, I always ask to be put on the ' call cancellation" list if my appt is too far out. most offices do a list since they want the schedule "full" if possible. it's great opportunity if your schedule is flexible. If I need something done, I prefer it done ASAP, not in a month. good that chris can get checked out sooner. I'm paying attention to shoulder position a lot more since the LW exercises. a good reminder to keep my shoulder down.

Diane sue the trouble with older books is sometimes ingredients are not available anymore. I like to feel sure things will "work" rather than subbing/experimenting. baked things are fussier than main dishes. I still use egg sub some times but no margarine. I don't even like butter much but flavor is better, nothing weird in it, and predictable.

Lori have a great trip. For some reason I thought Flex Train was much harder than it was, so a nice surprise. I like the way it moves thru exercises and you don't need 2 dozen weights rolling all over the floor. I hadn't used glider disks for a long time but I'm liking them a lot and feeling comfortable with them after a long time of no use. .

Good morning,

PT exercises yesterday. I really think the new one is helping.

Valerie, agree, 20 years ago, fat was our enemy, no one thought much about sugar. Now it's just the opposite. That rolled turkey roast does not sound appetizing at all.

Carolyn, good job on Pyramid Upper Body. I always remember this one as the one Cathe does at "warp speed" for some reason.

Diane Sue, it seems like what you did to reduce allergens should be helpful. I do something similar, with a couple 8 foot folding tables, a card table and some TV trays, but we are not able to sit down to dinner, it has to be buffet style. Kylee does the same thing when I put a new plastic garbage bag liner in the kitchen garbage can...I unroll it, then shake it to make sure it is fully open and she skitters away, like I am going to do something to her with the bag. Crazy dog. :)

Judy, that sounds like a good one...was it all cardio based? That's great that they were able to get Chris in sooner for the test. Yes, that "hidden" Pyramid combo is a great total body workout.

Lori, I saw that you commented on the recent Live Fit Tower that Cathe did. Will you be doing that one soon? I looked at the clip, and it has way too many leg moves that aggravate my hip so I will be putting that one on the "to do later" list. Oh, how I wish I was going to Florida for Thanksgiving! Have a safe trip!

Take care,

Actually the turkey roast wasn't bad. Not too big, cooked quickly, easy to slice. Cooking Light featured them for a while, recipes with a light fruit glaze. one was orange marmalade. still have the recipes and use a glaze on the turkey breast. that's one reason I don't miss gravy. If I couldn't find turkey breasts, I'd use a turkey roast again. one is reasonable for 2-4 people which is what I usually have.
Deb great you finally have a therapy move that seems to work.
Cutting fat worked pretty well for me. I always eat more than I should so portion control is always in force. I still watch fat closely because of the calories involved. my metabolism seems to run best on complex carbs and a little bit of fat.
The firewalkers from yesterday got me! nothing too bad but I haven't done those in ages. I got what I wanted, a little soreness in a few places. we might ride later today if it stops drizzling.

I don't have the Pyramid series. "Too fast" is no good. I pause or slow disk speed to 0.8. I'm more concerned with good form. When I get too breathless, form goes. I give myself a few second break, then do the next move properly, rather than scramble to keep up. particularly for things like mountain climbers or burpees. I have trouble breathing correctly in plank moves, so I don't start them if I am puffing already.

This morning I did P90X3 MMX, 34 minutes, met 6.0, heart rate average 137, max 165, 2,058 steps (this has lots of sprawls) I then did Strong and Sweaty Giant Sets mish mosh #5 double lower body, 61 minutes, met 4.5, 308 calories, 1,375 steps, heart rate 110 average, 150 max. Total time was 95 minutes and calories burned 532. I have to go back to Walmart as I forgot to take the deodorant spray back as it only sprays air :rolleyes: My husband brought it back in to me and I thought at first he was saying it was gone already. My youngest daughter remembered that no one was on the list for our traditional fruit salad for Thanksgiving so I need to get stuff for that.
Weights today
squats 45# 12 reps slow reps then 4 times then 8 singles
rear sliding lunges 15# dbs 16 reps
plié squats 45# barbell same count as squats
side slide lunges 15# db down 2 up 2 then 2 singles
deadlifts 30# dbs 12 reps
repeat
deadlifts wide stance 30# dbs 12 reps
cross back lunges 15# db 16 reps
diagonal lunges 20#dbs 12 reps
static lunges 20# db 16/7/7 reps
warrior lunges body weight
repeat
Squats 45# first round 40# second 12 reps
deadlifts 30# dbs first round 25# dbs 2nd round 12 reps
plié squats 45# 12 reps
sweeper lunges body weight
side slide pick ups 15# db 16 reps
repeat ( I was pretty much done in by the last round as there is lots of deadlifts)
can't imagine doing this 3 times unless I used much lighter weights to get through it.

Judy, Jari love does do a lot of lunges in her workouts. I tend to want to use the heavier weights. Maybe if I went lighter like she does it wouldn't hurt so much .

Deb, it is funny how dogs can have anxiety over those kinds of things. My other dog was always anxious over things. I couldn't get out a suitcase without her circling and whining. She would head to her crate at the drop of a pin. I changed the filter in my air purifier last night. I put it in the bedroom and after all of the cleaning and stuff, I coughed all night and kept us both up. I had 13 minutes of deep sleep according to my Fit Bit. There went my 7 hours and 15 minutes average sleep for the week.

Today I did Pyramid Lower Body, up only premix, for 46 minutes and 167 calories burned. I did some house cleaning before my workout then went to grocery store. I am shopping for things that I want to prep ahead and staples. Next week I will get produce.

Deb, great job with PT exercises yesterday. I’m glad that it seems to help. What is the goal with the exercises—muscle strengthening? I don’t find that Cathe goes too fast in the Pyramid workouts. I use dumbbells instead of a barbell. I can never change my barbell as quickly as Cathe. For me she moves much faster in the newer workouts. Of course, I pause my dvd to record my weights after each group of exercises.

Valerie, Flex Train is one of my favorites. I find that many of the older “low calorie “ baked goods have ingredients that I no longer want to use. I make substitutions if it’s a recipe that we like. Many recipes are fine with less sugar.

Judy, Jari Love’s workouts can sneak up on you. They are all metabolic and keep the heart rate up with lunges and squats. I haven’t tried any of her new workouts.

Diane Sue, nice job with today’s workout.

Hello to Lori. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Carolyn, I went to the store and got my fruit salad ingredients. Of course I ended up picking up other things while I was there. I will have two of the younger grand children here Monday. I have a few things I will prep ahead. I usually make pie crust and put it in the freezer till I bake it.

Good morning,

Only PT exercises yesterday. With the 5 of them now, it takes almost 30 minutes to complete.

Valerie, nice ride!

Diane Sue, sorry about the air and making your symptoms worse. That is surprising that the air filter did not help. Are you using any type of sprays/air fresheners, or cleaning products that could be affecting you?

Carolyn, the PT guy said it is lack of strength in the muscles in that area that has caused the pain. I am not sure about how that is explained etc.

Hi to Judy and Lori,

Take care,

Deb I had never had bursitis before, but when I did PT exercises for a knee problem, I developed bursitis. to be fair... I was doing some Cathe exercises also from LBB at the same time because they focused on the same area. Bridges, bridges with a ball, wide walking firewalkers with a band. I never had bursitis before and it was unpleasant for sure! suddenly I could not walk a mile. flat, uphill, downhill, it didn't matter. I had been released from formal PT and was continuing the exercises on my own but it was so painful I backed off everything.
I can take NSAIDS without a problem so took a ton of those plus I was able to ride both bikes and focused on that for a few weeks. my knee got a lot better, bought a new bike that fit me better and the bursitis never returned. I never could figure out what caused it exactly. I'm very cautious with "hydrant" type moves especially that use a band.

Carolyn, I never used any weird ingredients. some recipes used applesauce or another concentrated fruit product I can't find anymore made with pureed prunes/ plums as a fat replacer. I use lower fat dairy products and still do. I like them better.
what do you do for points when you roast a vegetable with a splash of olive oil? If I dice up a winter squash or brussels sprouts, and roast it with onions, bit of oil over it, toss it and roast on parchment. for sure there is a fine film of oil over the vegetables so they roast and brown. do you count that as points? even if I measured the oil it is spread out over multiple servings of the vegetable, not all will be eaten at the meal, plus some on the parchment/ pan. If all the fat is mixed in the vegetable, I would count it. it looks like there is less than a teaspoon on a serving. am I being too cavalier about this kind of thing?

this is an out of order edit. thanks Carolyn.

I did rock em sock em more or less the whole thing without doing full snow angels/ jacks, jump kicks. I am edging into a few slowly. also did core 1 and MM triceps.

Last edited:
This morning I did Step, Jump, and Pump, a step only premix plus abs. That was 36 minutes and 244 calories burned. My average heart rate was 127 and maximum heart rate was 162.

Deb, those exercises sound like they make a pretty good lower body workout. I was wondering if you were trying to strengthen the muscles in that area. I have read several articles on weak glutes and tight hamstrings and problems that can develop. Apparently weak muscles in one area can cause pain in another area.

Valerie, when I said weird ingredients I was thinking of margarine and egg substitute. When I roast vegetables I might count 1 point for oil, but it really depends on how much I use. As you said, if I only use a teaspoon and will make several servings I don’t count it. I usually use at least a tablespoon of oil on a pan of squash, so I count it.

Hello to Diane Sue, Judy, and Lori.

Reactions: WD
Today I did Coffey Fit Raw Intervals 2 circuits, 258 calories, met 6.0, 120 average heart rate,, 161 max heart rate, 1,970 steps. I also did Raw 6 and 60 abs add on, 11 minutes, 42 calories. Total time 50 minutes, 300 calories. I really like the 6 and 60 abs workout as Kelly alternates ab moves with various types of pushups 6 times. My husband and I went to get tires put on the Range Rover and went to the mexican restaurant next door to the tire place for lunch. I did pretty well there with a grilled shrimp dish on rice, with lettuce, onions, tomatoes, and avocado. Then I had a sopapilla :p I made some pie crusts and put them in the freezer this afternoon.

Deb, no, no air fresheners or cleaners. I use pretty mild natural cleaners. Once in awhile I will use a mildew type tile cleaner, which I spray in the shower and run out of the room till the fumes have pretty well settled. It gets pretty frustrating. That seems a little odd that it would be lack of strength in the muscles since you work out. Interesting though. I have read that some people that over stretch doing yoga can have too, lax of muscles. So, I guess those people that can get themselves to be like gumby must have really loose muscles. It is all about balance in everything.

Valerie, I had pf for around a year of fighting it and still working out around it and it went away. I can never figure out half the time what causes those things. I don't know how I tore the miniscus, or when it happened either. It just started hurting really badly and would be even more painful after a tuff lower body workout or a lot of step and jumping. I think unless you toss the veggies with the oil before roasting, a lot of the oil runs off when it is drizzled on. I always guess that I used about half what I used. Trying to count the oil as points would be difficult if you need to be exact.

Carolyn, you are right about the pain coming from another area. I have found when I work above and below the painful area with my roller and therapy balls, it brings relief to the area that hurts more than rolling right on the painful area. Also when my low back and hips hurt, I often find some tightness in my hip flexors. When my neck and shoulder hurts, if I get the therapy balls out and work it into the rear delts I can actually feel it all the way up to the neck. Odd, how that works. If I remember right, the Timesaver workouts had just the Step portion of Step Jump and Pump on one of them? Funny, I forget I have those workouts. I used to do that premix on the original SJP too. I always preferred the step workout.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.