Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 11/10

This morning I did Cardio Slam, the premix with low impact modifications. My time was 49 minutes with 324 calories burned. Average heart rate was 126 and maximum heart rate was 147.

Valerie, that’s great that you had an enjoyable hike yesterday. Thanks for the video on sitting and rising. Definitely something I need to work on, although I don’t think I will ever be able to do without using my hand.

Diane Sue, good job with Cardio Quick Fix and Bonus Biceps.

Hello to everyone and have a wonderful day.

I tried the standing test. First time I lost my balance because Gertie decided it was time to come up behind me to see what I was doing. Second time, I ended up using a knee slightly. I had to get on my foot with the leg that had the torn meniscus because standing from cross-legged hurt. Somehow, how easily you are able to get up from the floor does not make me think you are really going to lose longevity though. My legs are and always have been off balance, when crossed, one knee sticks up. Wondering why we have to cross our legs when sitting?

Diane Sue, in Cathe’s newsletter she doesn’t use the cross legged version. She calls that an advanced move after you master the basic sit and rise. I can sit if I don’t cross my legs. It’s an interesting little challenge.

we hiked today, 4 1/2 hours. lots of elevation up and then down. I am tired, this was 12 days in a row and tomorrow is a rest day. I deserve it and need it.
I misplaced the cathe newsletter , must have accidentally deleted so went to google for the move . I can sit with legs crossed, can sit down gracefully but not stand up. DH can do it but he has a much longer torso compared to his legs. I will try it some more after a day off. maybe this is one of those moves like levitation holds? I'm not worried I will die soon, but its an interesting little challenge.

Good morning,

Very busy with Grand Jury and trying to get all the "normal" things done in between. I never realized how much extra time I had to do things until now. Just getting a vet appointment in and my car in for an oil change has been a challenge!

Judy, thanks for the link to the dumbbells available on Amazon. I never had looked for them there. I also have Plate Mates, which I think are 1.25 pounds each. I like them but they were really expensive. We ended up with 10-11 inches of snow Tuesday morning.

Carolyn, nice job on the workouts! The Grand Jury is 3 days a week for a month.

Diane Sue, so glad you are getting some positive results from PT!

Valerie, when we bought our house in 1984, the full bath on the second floor was all pink, the walls were pink ceramic tile, the floor was pink ceramic tile, all fixtures were "Venetian Pink" and even the ceiling was wallpapered in a pink swirly pattern. UGH~! We went very basic this time. LOL...I read somewhere that the sit down/get up challenge is what older people should keep working towards...its a sign of good strength and balance. I tried it and had to use a hand to get up.

Have to leave now......back later!

This week has gone by quickly, with work and snow issues. Monday I did Walk Strong 3 Metabolic Conditioning and Muscle Meltdown Shoulders, Wednesday I did 2 short Peloton Rides, then Walk Strong 1- 360 Abs, Power Posture Walk and Hips & Knees Bonus, and Muscle Meltdown Triceps. Yesterday I did Yin Yoga before work.

Deb-I thought the Plate Mates were kind of expensive too. We got another 2-3 inches of snow Wednesday night. I have felt the same way since I started working part time again. I didn't realize how much free time I had in the 4+ years that I didn't work. It's been challenging to find time to make appointments and do things I want to do.

Valerie-the cross legged version of the sit-stand move is very challenging. I can sit down that way but it's very difficult to stand up. It is kind of like the levitation holds.

Carolyn-Great workouts this week! I agree, it seems like we skipped fall and went right into winter this year.

Diane Sue-I agree about the sit-stand test, I don't think it really indicates much about longevity.

Chris and I are off work today and are going out to breakfast then doing some shopping this morning.
Have a great weekend!

Judy

Deb 3 days a week would mess with your life for sure. I was relieved when I got dismissed from duty after 2 days. just getting there in the morning was a challenge with commute traffic, parking, major road construction and dark and raining besides. I had to allow an hour and a half to get there and one day it took that long , the next day it took 30 min.

our bathroom is not as bad as yours was! BUT it was my fault because I picked the raspberry colored sink and toilet. HUGE error in judgement. the old wallpaper is OK, muted subtle pattern. we will plan on very muted replacement paper. a tan grasscloth . white sink and toilet. we ordered a vanity top for the counter. granite similar to our kitchen, with undermount white sink, single pull faucet. the floor is hardwood that we hope to leave in place but depends on the footprint of the replacement toilet. nothing very technical so will do it ourselves. no time pressure since we have another toilet/sink in laundry area.

wow dealing with snow so early is miserable. we can usually drive to it if we want. yesterday we were in snow for a while but old, nasty crusty stuff, and then back down to forest.

I am good with planks and mt climbers and all variety of sit ups and thnk my core is in good shape, no balance issues. I have trouble getting up past my knees to even get my feet under me. will work on this a bit to see if its a technique issue. my upper torso is so short I don't much resemble the lady in the video!

I will look at plate mates too. I dont want to transport dumbbells back and forth.

This morning I did RWH Chest, Triceps, and Shoulders for 44 minutes and 202 calories burned. Average heart rate was 113 and maximum heart rate was 143.

Hello to everyone and have a great day..

Today I did Jessica Smith Walk Strong and Have Fun: steady ready go, 31 minutes, heart rate average 144 max 173, 207 calories met 7.9, , 3,187 steps. I then did Lite Strong Body Stacked Sets Lower body, 45 minutes, met 5.1, 975 steps, 203 calories. Total time was 76 minutes, 410 calories, 4,162 steps.
Last night my internet went out and when it started back up I had to reboot the system. Only my husbands laptop, the television, and Roku worked. Everything else did not work. I kept shutting my computers down and nothing I did would get the internet back up. Troubleshooting told me what I already knew. So, this morning I got up and internet was still down on my laptop. I unplugged the system and hooked back up and that time, I got things running. I was thinking that I was going to have to go to Cox link to reset the system. Anyway, I was off the internet last night. My grandson came over and my husband was off, we went to my grandson's house and helped get the trampoline grounded and set up the basketball pole. Then we came home and I stuffed myself with cheesy bread and cinnamon bread since all I had was a zone bar today. I will have to be careful tomorrow. I am sure I will pay tonight. I don't know what came over me.
I chose lower body today and a lighter cardio to let some things have a break. I am thinking maybe I won't do chest and shoulders as they get work with PT exercises and stretches. My shoulders were a tad sore after the triceps and back. Not terrible, but I think a couple of days at least off of those areas might be wise.

Carolyn, I tried getting up without my legs crossed and I almost think it was easier with them crossed. I think that is a balance thing. I tend to avoid putting my knees through motions that might hurt or twist them.

Valerie, that was a long climb. Yes, maybe it is like those levitation holds. I was never very good at those pistol moves either. Better on one side than getting that low and back up on the other side. It seems there is road work going on around here all of the time. I need to check and see if they ever finished the road I would drive to our next ladies game day. This one is the furthest away in another city. Last time it had rained so much and the road literally had washed out. I rode with someone else that took the turnpike and a completely different route.

Deb, I had a night mare about Jury duty after you started talking about Grand Jury. I guess because I won't drive downtown. I was trying to get a hotel nearby the court house downtown and kept getting lost in the dream. I hope that never happens. I did get lost in the basement of the courthouse last time when I was supposed to meet my son in law for lunch. I took stairs instead of elevator and somehow got all turned around. He had to find me. At least I could get up without my hands. But, I did end up on my knee because I was trying to not twist the knee. I think I should have had the other knee on top. I remember pricing Plate Mates and thinking I could just get more weights. I have 1 and 2# dumbbells that have the loop handle and have used them for a small weight increment on my barbell and dumbbell bars that I put weight plates on.

Judy, glad the Peloton is up and running again. I really like the Jessica Smith workouts. I am glad I tried them. I think balance is important and I like the balance set. I like workouts that put in balance work. The thing is, getting up from the floor like that is hard for even young people. I think it is a natural instinct to catch yourself with your hands just to prevent losing balance.

Carolyn, I never thought that the premix to Cardio Slam with lower impact modifications seemed all that low impact. Nice work.

diane sue did they ever explain what was causing you so much discomfort? sounds like you are doing a whole lot better.

plate mates won't work. I thought they attached on the inside of the hand grip. my dumbbells are either neoprene coated or the hard rubber ones. I will stick to weighted gloves to bridge the gap. I've been able to go from 5 to 8 for most things. side raises, no. not yet.

DH was able to get up with legs crossed by "lurching" forward. his torso is much longer, he is able to get over past his knees. I have thought about sitting down and standing up from the step, starting with 3 risers and reducing as you learn the technique. I haven't tried, took the day totally off. only shopping and cooking, which ended up being a busy day.

Last edited:
I’m taking a rest day today. I had an appointment and a few things to do, but I just felt like I needed more rest and recovery time.

Diane Sue, nice job with JS Steady, Ready, Go and Stacked Sets Lower Body. That’s funny that you had a nightmare about jury duty. I would be the same if I had to go downtown for Federal court!

Valerie, I took a look at the Abs segment of High Reps. Now I remember those side to side hip thrusts, a move that I hate. I think that you have to go through the chapter menu to get to that section. I like the abs from Kick, Punch and Crunch but I don’t like going through the chapters to find it.

Judy, I noticed that Jessica Smith has a holiday challenge going that uses several workouts from WS3, including Metabolic Conditioning. She gives the option of a dvd workout or YouTube workout each day.

Hello to Deb and Lori.

Today ended up being a rest day. I am going to go upstairs and do some Jane Adams yoga and PT stuff in a bit. I had my granddaughter 12 here this morning and I needed to keep her entertained and mind off of her grief. We played a game with horses called Howrse that she got me started on. I got out my second laptop. We had lunch and enjoyed it. Yesterday they took her doggie Muffin to the vet ( she looked like she swallowed a volleyball) They said it was either heart failure, a tumor, or liver and she would not live long. They drained some of the fluid. My son in law took her back home so she could spend time with her first. I think that I have mentioned Muffin, the beagle and rat terrier mix. She was normally a small dog that adored my granddaughter. They had to take her back to the vet and put her to sleep :(.

Valerie, the MRI showed narrowing in the neck where only a little fluid was able to get through. Left side was severe. Right that was affecting the nerve down my arm was moderate degeneration. Anyway, the nerve runny from the neck goes all of the way down the front of the shoulder and down the arm. The doctor thought maybe if they got the inflammation down the pressure on the nerve would let up and that is why he gave me the steroid injection. Hopefully that is all I needed as that all pretty much feels fine. Left side of my neck and trap are still an issue part of the time and this has went on for a couple of years. So it is not something new.

Carolyn, having to go through menus to find abs is something that makes me eliminate that workout. Much easier just to pull up the ab workout on the side. Even having it in the chapter menu is better as some of those do not even have that. It is like forward fasting through a vhs tape. I guess we are spoiled with the newer technology.

yes, that is the problem, having to go thru the chapter headings to get to the ab workout. I think the high reps one is hard, but for me its a "good " hard. I have KPC but haven't used it in a long time, but most workouts from a while ago didn't have abs in a separate group and you have to click thru a lot of screens to get there. I was hoping the workout might be on a newer format dvd, more accessible. I keep thinking I've done it somewhere else but don't remember where. I posted it on another thread, and tried cathes customer service but they didn't know. I ve found a faster way to jump thru the screens, but would still like an easy access ab workout.
another dog story. my sisters dog had what appeared to be a stroke. she took her to the vet and they wanted to do imaging studies but it would be around $2500 which my sister said "no" to. dog was suddenly, dramatically urinary incontinent, falling over, passing out, weak in the rear quarters so she needed assist to go up stairs. I looked it up on vet info sites, and I suggested she ride it out for a while. she doesn't have that kind of money and that was only to diagnose, not even treat anything. the info suggested some dogs will get better on their own, depending on what the cause of the stroke was, after swelling and inflammation subsides, and so I ordered her doggie diapers, some soft food so chewing was easier. amazingly, her dog got better after about a week. her dog is a g. shepherd, and over 10 yo now. whatever. so far it has been successful but I have no clue what caused the stroke ( if that is what happened) to begin with, if that is what it was. I'm glad this turned out to be good advice but I feel really uncomfortable giving advice based on a 10 min internet search. it could have been totally wrong.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.