Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 11/10

Traildoggie

Cathlete
Good morning. I'll get us started for the week. its still gray and drizzling outside so another indoor workout today. not sure what, but this is the last day of my one week recalibration after almost a week of nothing much. I worked out late yesterday so probably will wait until afternoon today too.

Valerie, thanks for starting the thread this week. Today I did a short yoga practice, Jane Adams Gentle Yoga Morning Energy practice which is 18 minutes. Hello to everyone and have a wonderful day.

Hi,

Valerie, thanks for starting the thread today.

A busy week, with Grand Jury. It's like having a part time job. I have to go on Tuesday, Wednesday & Friday. Everyone has been doing really well with workouts etc. I have not done anything all week, :(. I need to get back to it.

Valerie, glad you enjoyed the visit with your friends. You have been friends with them for a long time! It's great that you still get together like that. Funny, I was just the opposite with Cathe premixes, I would always pick a premix, and rarely did the whole workout "as is". A remodel! That's something to look forward to.

Diane Sue, beautiful pictures! It sounds like things are getting better for you every day!

Judy, I hope you are able to get your bike fixed soon. So frustrating when the tech people do not get back to you. Is it under some type of warranty?

Hi to Carolyn, & Lori,

Take care,

Deb-That does sound like a part time job! How far is it from your home? I hope you don't have too far to go.

I did finally get an email from Peloton, apologizing for the delay in responding. I tried itThursday night after our internet came back and it was working normally so I think it was our internet/WiFi issues that caused the problem. It would have been more apparent if our home internet connection had gone down at the same time. I wouldn't even have contacted Peloton support if that had happened. We do have a 1 year warranty that comes with the bike. I also purchased the extended (2 extra years) warranty.

Valerie, we had beautiful weather today in the low 70's. It is supposed to get really cold tonight and rain tomorrow ending with a temp of 17 degrees tomorrow night. We went out for a ride on the Harley while we had a chance.

Deb, do you have to go back to Grand Jury next week? It does sound like going to work. I bet you were relieved that this week was done. I am getting better every day.

Carolyn, I keep meaning to get more of the Jane Adams yoga segments from Amazon.

Judy, I hope that your Peloton stays working after all of that.

I did Pyramid Pump and abs today.. so that is 7 days in a row. PP is a little awkward because 5 lbs is too light, but some of the moves are too hard to do 8, 10,12. I'll see if I get sore from it.
we'll see about working out tomorrow..... tomorrow. would like to ride if weather is OK. wow that's quite a shift from 70's to 17.

judy, yes when internet service is "flaky, its hard to tell what the issue is.

Deb, you have a few weeks of this grand jury , right? this is just a powder room, lots of other bathrooms here so it should not be a big inconvenience...…….. at least I like to think so.

Good morning,

No workout yet....not sure if I will be doing anything today. Puppy class graduation this morning. :).

Judy, that's great that it was only your wifi connection on the bike issue. Good that you got that extra warranty, just in case. Grand Jury is downtown in the court building. I drive about a half mike to the "Park & Ride" and take the subway down. There is about a 2 1/2 block walk from the subway stop there to the courts. Very quick, easy way to get there. The train comes to where I park every 10 minutes in the morning. Then I do the reverse to go home.

Diane Sue, glad you are getting better! Smart to take that ride on the Harley when you did. Wow, 70's to 17! I thought our weather was crazy. Grand Jury is 3 days a week for a month.

Valerie, I hear you on the weight difference when you want to move up and there is a 3 pound increase, it can be tough. I actually have 7 pound DB's, not sure where I found them. You will have to keep us updated on the remodel as it is going on. You know how we like to see stuff like that! I am always curious as to the type of stuff people pick, colors etc.

Hi to Carolyn & Lori,

Take care,

This morning I did RWH Back, Biceps, and Shoulders. My time was 61 minutes with 265 calories burned. Average heart rate was 110 and maximum heart rate was 159. I was interrupted by a phone call, so actual time was probably closer to 56 minutes.

Deb, the grand jury duty does take a big bite of time out of your week. How long does it last? I don’t like to do a premix until I have done the main workout. I like to get a good feel for the way the whole thing fits together.

Diane Sue, the Jane Adams Morning Energy doesn’t seem like much at first glance, but it gives me a nice overall stretch. I don’t even bother to put on my workout clothes if that’s all I am doing! I just do it in my pajamas.

Judy, getting the extended warranty with your Peloton was probably smart. It’s a very complex machine with the computer attached.

Valerie, I have 7# dumbbells too. I bought them years ago from Sports Authority which has gone out of business now. They are good for shoulders when 8# is a little too much.

Lori, I’m really hoping that you are doing well. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Thank you, I never looked for those. I have weighted gloves I use to bridge those 1 lb gaps, but its a pain to take off one set of gloves, and put on another pair. you cant take weight in and out of the gloves themselves easily. for Pyramid pump, I skip the 5's and go to 8's and use them for 2 cycles instead of 5, 8, 10, I go 8, 8, 10. I use 8's a lot...…. except side raises and front raises. I am forever stuck at 5's there. the jump from 12 to 15 is tough too. amazing how many sporting goods companies have folded. used to be so many!. all toast.
I usually shy away from extended warranties, but if I bought a Peloton, I'd buy one. we extended on our DW and refrigerator because we've had so many early failures, and companies don't stand behind their products like they used to. my DW water heater died in the first month, had a long arduous process to get it replaced, then the same heater failed at 3 years and Bosch did not stand up and fix it. it was too expensive to pay to fix so we bought another DW, but got the extended.

the remodel is the powder room off the kitchen/living room. I did an awful job ( what was I thinking???) 30 yrs ago. sink and toilet are almost raspberry color. with hardwood floor, wallpaper. we will switch to white undermount sink, granite top, some very plain grasscloth (tan) wallpaper in case the old doesn't come off easily. then we wont need to redo the drywall. floor will be the same as rest of house . luxury vinyl. this should all be "do it yourself" . the first step is finding a countertop. the vanity "box" is a little larger, 1 inch, than what is standard size now so we will have to spend more on it because nothing will fit. we have another toilet /sink in the laundry room , so this will not be a big inconvenience. I am SOOO looking forward to saying goodbye to the pink toilet.

did a road ride this morning, 15 miles about 1 hr 20 minutes. not too busy, and pleasant riding.

Last edited:
This morning I did Jessica Smith YouTube Metabolic Circuit, 42 minutes, 179 calories, heart rate average 109, max 143, met 5.0, 999 steps. She uses a high step with 3 risers for this. There is no jumping and she uses 5# dumbbells and 10# for the weight work. I dropped to 8 on some of the chest work and modified when she did push ups and pushups with feet on the step. Part of the time I just did some speed skaters. I also did Jessica Smith YouTube weight loss yoga, 20 minutes, 230 steps, met 3.5, 62 calories, heart rate average 109, max 134. Total time 62 minutes, 241 calories, 1,229 steps.
Funny thing, I saw an outdoor bike ride on yesterday's workout. (I took a rest day). I realized when I looked at the time that Fit Bit gave me a bike ride for the motorcycle ride and I burned 168 calories for 39 minutes. I even got my heart rate up. It was 88 average, 146 max. I imagine the upper end was either when the lane was running out and a woman tried to pull into us to get over, and another was when we got on the highway and a truck came in it kept it's turn signal on and seemed undecided on getting over. We were alongside of it.

Valerie, huge temperature changes within just a few hours is not uncommon here. It is so cold today and the wind was whipping around when I got up this morning. Gertie came in after being out a few minutes with some flakes on her fur. I don't think we will get major snow though. Just some drizzle and maybe freezing drizzle. It seems that it was the Dollar Store that I saw some 7# dumbbells. I was tempted to purchase them. Sometimes I just wear some weight gloves and pick up the 5's. That is a bit of a hassle though when you do not want to take them off and on throughout. Removing weights has never been quick like Cathe seemed to do it in the STS workouts. Mine won't come out now anyway since the zippers are stuck and broke.
I usually go by how costly the appliance or equipment is and how much they are asking for the extended warranty. Sears let me purchase a year extended after I had to have them out 3 times to fix a new front load washing machine. Of course by then the problems were corrected since they had to replace the drum, the stuff around the front and some electronics. I think they halfway replaced the washer.

Deb, I have noticed Kelly uses 7 lb dumbbells quite a bit. Her barbell is often a bit different as well. She has said it was 33 lb when it had two plates on it and 22 I believe when it had one plate. I just adjust up most of the time or like I mentioned to Valerie, I add weight gloves. I would hate that grand jury 1 month serving.
Puppy class graduation should be fun this morning :)

Judy, be safe with the snow. Thanks for the link for other weight increments. I can do some with the Bowflex weights, but too often the workouts that I would be using those increments are quicker paced and the Bowflex weights are bulky and uncomfortable for that.

Carolyn, sometimes you just cannot ignore the phone calls during a workout. If it is not family or someone I have given a different ring tone and their business picture that shows up, I do not answer. I check it when I get a chance to see if there is a message and if not, it is generally someone I did not want to talk to. I had someone call the other day when I was expecting my grandson to return my call and forgot and just answered. I ended up telling some woman over and over that I already was happy with my insurance:rolleyes:

Carolyn-Great job with the RWH workout! I really like my 6 and 7 lb dumbbells. I find I use them a lot for shoulders.

Valerie- I usually don't do extended warranties either but it seemed like a good idea this time. I've been able to take care of everything on my old spin bike, but it is not complicated at all, and I never had to get outside support to fix anything that went wrong with it.
I agree, the jump from 12 to 15 is really hard! 12 is my comfort zone for many exercises and I am trying to push myself up to 15's. Another jump that is hard is 20 to 25 for chest press. I am stuck at 20 for my max. I wish I had 22.5 lb dumbbells but a pair on Amazon is almost $100 and I don't want to pay that much. I could probably try to find them locally.

Diane Sue-We've gotten about 7 inches so far. The roads are horrible. One of the main roads here shut down a few hours ago due to ice. I agree about the weighted gloves, they never work as easily for me as they do for Cathe in STS.

Hi to Deb & Lori,

Judy

Attachments

• 111119 snow.jpg
    111119 snow.jpg
    656.6 KB · Views: 5
yeah, those in-glove weights don't "pop out" so easily! my weighted gloves don't cover my palms and I get callouses easily. I take the whole glove off, and switch back and forth. when there were a number of sporting goods stores being competitive, weights weren't that expensive. now they are an "investment". shipping is expensive. suddenly, most of the sporting goods places folded. even Sears used to have them but they're gone too. Judy, we've done maintenance on mechanical parts of equipment, but when the electronics go down, forget it. our spin bike has a very basic small computer that barely works with my HRM so I use it mostly for cadence. most other functions only work briefly. its not broken, it never synced well with HRM. it takes a reading, displays it, and doesn't change until I push the button again so most info is inaccurate.
I've found decent prices on an entire weight set, but buying individual pairs is much more than it was a few years ago. Ive looked on craigs list or next door but never see exervcise stuff.

in the newsletter yesterday, did you try the sit down/rise up challenge? not so easy! I can sit down from standing but can't easily get back up without using a hand. I remember doing it in school when a kid. I can sit cross legged fine. hard to stand up from that position. I tried it on carpet with shoes on so today I will try on a mat, barefoot. go give this a shot if you want to feel humiliated!

oh my snow season. already. we missed the current cold front , its warm and wet here.

Today I did All Out Low Impact HiiT for 39 minutes and 280 calories burned. My average heart rate was 131 and maximum heart rate was 155. After that I did STS Extended Stretch. That was 15 minutes and an additional 25 calories burned. That extended stretch is one of my favorite Cathe stretches.

Judy that snow and winter storm sounds like it’s pretty serious. Our temperature here has dropped 40 degrees since I got up this morning! Some north metro areas had snow flurries. It seems that we’ve all skipped fall and gone straight to winter weather.

Valerie, the sit and rise test is harder than it sounds. I was able to sit, but couldn’t get up without using a hand.

Hello to Diane Sue, Deb, and Lori.

This morning I did Rev'd Up and Rumble, 42 minutes, heart rate 142, max 172, 286 calories, 3,449 steps, met 8.0. I then did 45 minutes of a Jessica Smith post workout stretch that was 15 minutes, and PT exercises along with some lower foam rolling added. My right quad is really sore. More so than the left. Total time was 87 minutes, 359 calories, 3,582 steps.

Valerie, I am guessing it is from the floor? I would probably have to use a hand. I used to do those Turkish get ups from the floor to standing. I doubt I can do those anymore either. I did not read the newsletter. My Spin bike does not have a computerized read out. I am guessing it calculates by revolutions for calories etc.. It does not work with my watch. It is a Schwinn and was not a costly bike.

Carolyn, I have used the STS extended stretch so much over the years. It is a good one and just right in length to fit in when time is a problem. I told my husband since we are getting the bad weather early, maybe winter will be ending early. Probably not going to happen though. I remember one year when my children were young, it snowed and we had huge drifts. It was October. I think I recall twice that this happened in October. The first was when we had first moved to Oklahoma. We had to go out and buy coats since we had moved from California. Ice was nasty too.

Today I did RWH Lift It HiiT It Legs. The workout was 40 minutes with 250 calories burned. My average heart rate was 126 and maximum heart rate was 151.

Diane Sue, nice work with Rev’d Up Rumble and JS stretch. I’m glad that your neck and shoulder are feeling better and allowing you to workout more.

Valerie, great job with the spin ride, push ups, and High Reps Ab segment. I don’t remember the abs from High Reps, but Cathe has some tough ab workouts!

Waving hello to Judy, Deb, and Lori.

My workout today was Kelly Coffey Cardio Quick Fix both workouts combined, 46 minutes, heart rate average 149, max 176, 322 calories, met 8.0, 4,695 steps. I am going to do one body part a day and see how that works as I get strength back. I did Cathe Lite bonus biceps (from the Pyramid Pump workout) 8 minutes, heart rate average 111, max 131, 57 steps, met 6.0, 30 calories, and finished with Jane Adams 7 yoga practices morning energy, 17 minutes, 34 calories, met 2.5, 65 steps.
Total time was 71 minutes, 386 calories, 4,817 steps.
Weights for Lite Biceps were same as Cathe
Super Sets of
standing sweeper curls 12,10,8, 10,12 reps 8,10,12,10,8# dumbbells
incline curls on ball 12,10,8,10,12 reps 8,10,12,10,8# dumbbells

Valerie, nice workout. I can get up from the floor without hands if I get up on my knees. I am sure that is probably not what they mean though.

Carolyn, you are right, Cathe does have some tough ab workouts. Some of them take in a lot more muscle groups than just abs. Thanks, I am happy that I am able to do a lot more than I was even a month ago.

Back from the hike, it was quite nice, we were alone. whoopee!. we saw one person on the way in while we were going out. that's how we like it. probably 4 miles RT, about 2.5 hours. this was snowed in a month ago, but melted out enough to drive to trail. much of it was snow free, but we had microspikes for the steep icy parts. looked like an early snow year in October , but not much left at 5000 feet. DH's birthday today, the big 65. I'm older than he is.

I like the Ab workout from High Reps but its an older disk and the only way to get to it is go thru chapters to get to it, kind of slow and easy to hit the wrong button...... unless I'm missing something obvious? I wonder if this one is on any other dvds. does anyone know a way to sort thru Ab workouts? it has the leg thrusts to one side , then center double time, then other side. repeat.

this is the sit to rise test. a little dramatic. I can sit down gracefully but don't stand up as effortlessly as the lady in the video.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.