Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 10/17

Traildoggie

Cathlete
good morning. drive yesterday was long but otherwise decent. will do some shopping today for some small things and acclimate to altitude. if we dont ride something, will do a workout here later.

we should think about getting another apple TV device for our workout room. the old one won't work anymore so can't stream anything down there. unless there is some other reason it doesnt work. the TV has to fit in an alcove below a heavily bricked fireplace/wood stove/chimney and we never can get a signal down there. big reason why I've stayed with dvd's

I wish I had a whole foods, sprouts, or TJ's reasonably close but no. there is a QFC( Kroger) nearby and a Haggen ( smaller local chain) but that's probably it for the foreseeable future. they both have good produce departments and that's the most important thing for us. its quite a commute to anything else.

Last edited:
Today is my rest day. As we discussed spin bikes recently it made me think of how I came to choose mine. When I was researching bikes I came across Jeff Wimmer, an avid biker both indoors and out. He owned a bike shop called Studio Cycles in California but was originally from Spokane. We talked on the phone a few times and he answered many questions that I had about bikes in general without trying to sell anything. He just wanted to help. I bought my bike from Spinning, but Jeff was extremely helpful. Sadly, he was hit by a motorist while biking and passed away in 2013. I learned about that tragic accident from one of the forums but I don’t remember which one. It really emphasizes what Valerie is always saying about the danger to bikers when riding near cars.

Valerie, I‘m glad that you had a good drive yesterday.

Judy, great job with the Peloton ride and arm workout and Yin Yoga.

Diane Sue, nice work with CDorner Step Aerobics 80’s Sweatfest and the foam rolling for back and shoulders. My husband watches College football on Saturday’s and pro football on Sunday’s. I like the games, too, but I don’t sit and watch. I just like to know what’s happening, but I will watch if something exciting is going on. P30 Low Impact HiiT is drills, although I never think of it that way and it doesn’t feel like drills to me. There is no going down to the floor in the workout. I hate those and will often modify to something standing.

Hello to Cathy. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Last edited:
that's sad carolyn, a lot of cyclists get killed in traffic. we quit road riding for 20 years because of a series of close calls. another bad spot is riding past parked cars. people swing doors open without looking . if cars are parked along the side there usually isn't room to ride far away. some drivers are evil, many are careless and don't have good judgement, and they aren't looking for bikes. we looked for that brand of bike when we started looking but didn't find it. we learned to not buy entry level equipment since we wear things out.
I'm really tired today. we did some house things and did grocery shopping instead. will do a easier hike tomorrow.

Yesterday I did Live 40/20 Hiit Low Impact and Upper Body Ball-tastic. Today I did 30 Minute Kickbox and Metabolic Med Ball. The Med ball one is fun. Alternates between cardio based moves with the ball and compound moves with weights. Very fast paced.

Valerie glad you made it there safely. While I have no interest in living in a big city, I am rather envious of how close Nick is to shopping, Including a Trader Joes and Whole Foods. I at least have the latter even if it is 35 minutes away.

Diane Sue yes the LIVE Bands and Loops is total body. And unlike the DVD it uses weights a fair bit. https://cathe.com/forum/threads/video-clip-of-cathes-boss-bands-loops-metabolic-live-workout.316850/

Have to get ready for my weekly family chat. Hi to everyone else!

Cathy I dont live way out somewhere, but when there are decent stores within 15 minutes, I tend to stick with them. I could go to a TJ's, about 45 min away if traffic is good. however if traffic goes south, it is an awful trip so I seldom make the trek. same for whole foods, another one here called The Market or something close to that, an hour away. same traffic issue. might be fine, might be hellish. we started out 30 plus yrs ago way out in the shrubbery but urbanization is galloping right up to us. we get breaks from the crowding here in MT, and maybe we will sell and move here completely. we have toyed with the idea. the western wa climate is so much milder and gardening is easy there. here it is very challenging, and the wind would destroy most everything without exception measures. snow is nice if you can come and go from it rather than live in it for 6 months.

feeling functional again today so just the usual day off after the drive, altitude adjust, and jitteriness from the drive that messes with decent sleep. we still have a mice in the crawlspace problem that didn't exist for years before and cant find the route they are getting in.

Today I did JS HiiT Walk from her 30 Day Plan. That was 30 minutes and 215 calories burned. My average heart rate was 130 and maximum heart rate was 148.

Cathy, great job with Live 40/20 HiiT, Upper Body Ball-tastic, 30 Minute Kickboxing, and Metabolic Med Ball. Those sound like good workouts.

Hello to Valerie, Judy, and Diane Sue. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Yesterday I did not work out. Family came over and we ate and played games. Afterward, my husband and I figured out a way for me to be able to open our storm shelter. Then I cleaned out the dead bugs and cobwebs and added our storm goodie back pack with survival items in it. There was a portable pot with disposable bags never opened down there and a light mounted on the wall which we changed the batteries on. Also moved my car so it was easier to get down in it. Hopefully I never feel the need to go in it though. Today I did not do anything till noon and just did Jessica Smith Walk Strong Burn Fat and Have Fun Step and Stride using one riser under my high step as she uses no risers. I did not use my left arm through this. It was 30 minutes, heart rate 154/185, 201 calories, 3,388 steps. Tomorrow I will not have time to get a workout it as I am going to ladies game day in the morning. Fortunately it is not a long drive from me. I am trying to avoid irritating the shoulder and still keep mobility. So, rest is good I guess.

we id the planned hike today. took us 3.5 hours but it was not difficult. some messy spots because it snowed last weekend and melted into mud. we sat in the sun and chatted for a good hour . warm in the sun , some hunting going on but not right in our faces.

diane sue in that area its wonderful to have a storm shelter. smart to get it up and functioning in case its needed. we had a basement in WI but I know a lot of areas do not build houses with basements.

Last edited:
Well this morning I was doing ICE Low Impact Step 1 and about halfway through I felt a tweak in my lower back. I did finish the workout, but skipped the abs and legs I'd planned and did Stretch Max with the band. Thankfully it isn't my left lower back, but general center low back and it's not as bad tonight. Walking at the zoo tomorrow and I may try a short cardio in the morning, but no weights.

Valerie thankfully I don't have horrible traffic getting to WF and the Meijer I shop at. Haven't been to the one 10 minutes away since the beginning of the pandemic and I wasn't regularly shopping there anyway as they just don't carry what we need. Glad you got a good hike in today. I think my sister would totally ditch Florida for their place in NC, except for a few months in winter, but her husband regularly skates with his hockey buddies and there are no rinks anywhere near them there.

Carolyn great job with JS Hiit Walk!

Diane Sue great that you were able to get your storm shelter set up so you can use it. Most everywhere I've lived has had a basement. Great job with Jessica Smith Walk Strong Burn Fat and Have Fun Step and Stride!

Today I did Stacked Sets Upper Body and the Extended Stretch. My time was 46 minutes with 231 calories burned. My average heart rate was 121 and maximum heart rate was 164.

Diane Sue, nice work with JS Step and Stride. I thought about doing that one yesterday, but chose something else. I’m glad that you have the storm shelter cleaned and ready for use. Hopefully you won’t need to use it.

Valerie, nice job with the 3.5 hour hike.

Cathy, great job with Low Impact Sweat 1 and Stretch Max band segment.

Hello to Judy. Have a great day everyone.

we are still dealing with a mouse problem in the crawl space. it's funny because for years there were no problems, then we had new security cameras installed last winter and since then we are getting mice. the camers are mounted outside and weve checked everything related to them and cant find anything so maybe justa coincidence. so this morning we bought some hardware cloth and a shears to cut it and put it over a few more vent areas. we are trying to get a pro to come out and take a look but this is high season for mouse issues and not getting anyone so far.
after the shopping trip we rode a regular close by road half way. no snow but extremely muddy and huge lakes of water. the mud is extremely greasy! Decided it was not going to be fun and bagged it. checked out some other possible riding places online and most have been off limits since the snow a week ago. so that might be the end of riding season . its been dry for a week but the road today will not be rideable until next spring. possible if it stays dry but we dont want to waste half a day getting ready and starting out on it and having to turn around and drive back down. temps were 38 or 40 but Ok if the road surface had been reasonable. hunting season starts in earnest this weekend. dont want to be there then. we will spend time in the park.

Yesterday was a rest day. Today I did ICE Rock’m Sock’m KB with Muscle Meltdown Triceps and ICY Core 1.
I was happy to see that Cathe is going to be announcing a new series soon.

Carolyn-Great job with JS HiiT Walk and Stacked Sets Upper Body and the Extended Stretch.

Diane Sue-Nice job with Jessica Smith Walk Strong Burn Fat and Have Fun Step and Stride. I hope your shoulder is getting better.

Cathy-Great job with Live 40/20 Hiit Low Impact, Upper Body Ball-tastic, 30 Minute Kickbox and Metabolic Med Ball. I love the Metabolic Med Ball workout. It’s one of my favorites. I hope your low back is ok.

Valerie-Great job with the long hike!

Today I went to ladies game day and had a nice time. It only took 10 minutes to get to the game day today. No workout. I will do something tomorrow hopefully. This shoulder and arm is driving me nuts and hurt all night last night.

Back was better this morning, but opted to skip a workout and just walked at the zoo. Very nice day for it, especially compared to last Octobers dressing like winter! Since I wasn't going to get home from my parents till 5:00, I used that time to make supper instead. I should make supper in the morning more often, as I'm much more in the mood to make things then. LOL Booked Nick's flight today. Not thrilled that he'll get into Grand Rapids after 7, and we'll have to drive in the dark, but the early flight was a fair bit higher cost. At least his flight back is mid day.

Valerie sorry you are dealing with a mouse problems. When we have mice issues, here they were aided and abetted by felines bringing them in. Rarely happens anymore and knock on wood nothing for quite awhile now. I've got multiple live traps that work quite well, and I'm quite handy with a large aquarium net. The ones that are not so easy are the chipmunks, but we rarely even see them anymore. I'm sure the whole world would have enjoyed the day I was running around trying to catch one and finally got it shut in the bathroom. Dang could that little sucker jump and bounce off everything! Finally got him using multiple things and DH opened doors to get it outside. Amazingly high percentage of fully functional, not a scratch rodents that they've brought in. The better to play with them. :rolleyes: To bad the area you wanted to ride was such a muddy mess for your ride today.

Judy great job with ICE Rock’m Sock’m KB with Muscle Meltdown Triceps and ICY Core 1. I hadn't seen that there would be an announcement soon! Curious to see what it will be this time.

Carolyn great job with Stacked Sets Upper Body and stretch!

Diane Sue glad you enjoyed your games day! So sorry you are in pain.

I didn’t work out today. I had an appointment this morning and I didn’t feel like getting out of bed and immediately starting a workout. This just wasn’t a day for doing that.

Valerie, how annoying to have a mouse problem. Hopefully you can get someone to come out.

Cathy, I’m glad that your back is better. Nice job walking at the zoo.

Judy, great job with Rock’m Sock’m, Muscle Meltdown Triceps, and Icy Core 1.

Diane Sue, I’m so sorry that you are still having such pain. Is it from arthritis or do you think that you injured it somehow?

Have a nice afternoon everyone.

Well I got a very delayed start this morning. Didn't fall asleep until about 1:30 and I'd turned my alarm off. Woke up at 7:30 when DH started turning lights on. Was finally after 10 before I headed down to do a workout, which I'd decided would be step because I needed something fun. Just as I was starting to take stuff down, we had like a 2 second power blip that shut down the computers and the WIFI! DH couldn't work, and I couldn't do the workout I wanted to do. Took me at least 15 minutes to get the wifi back up. Finally started somewhere around 10:30 and ended up doing IMAX 3 combos because it's short and fun. I already made a three layer Mexican pie for supper and have it in the oven and we'll just warm it up. I find that by actual suppertime I'm rarely in the mood to cook. Got my license tabs renewed online, so a decent amount accomplished. LOL

the mouse issue is below the house proper in a sealed space. getting in thru an air conditioning duct or something? we have everything blocked off with hardware cloth, steel wool, etc. something happened after our camera install. like maybe one mouse found a way and led his family in behind him. when we are here, there's no activity. cat wouldn't help. could not get down there unless we carried it down. trap door in floor, that short stair down. we worry about when we aren't here. so far no route to the house itself, but somehow they get in and we cant find whatever it is. we have every kind of trap known, in multiples. not getting a very prompt response from the local pest killers. I expect they get busy this time of year. we had a squirrel in a house once. wow was that exciting. we managed to scoot him out the door by hazing him in the right direction, but same as you said, he was flying all over the place before we cornered him. . we've briefly had mice, often after new furnace install when installers aren't careful around the ducts thru the walls. we were secure until the cameras . this time of year mice are seeking indoor accommodations.

we think riding here is done for the season since it will be wet this weekend, and its already muddy. a few spots are one thing, but this is a lot of distance.

we did a hike with neighbors today, about 4 hours. a few miles, not too steep but at 7000 feet. very nice ending in an open hilltop with great views. lots of animal tracks including bear and cub.

don't you hate those few second power outs. we get those a lot. enough to make you reset all the clocks. and after you reset everything, it happens again. we are dealing with a road improvement project a mile or two away, and get these interruptions a lot.

diane sue that is unfortunate about shoulder and arm. give it a week or two off workouts? if you felt like you actually have an injury, maybe its time to make an appt and have someone look at it and get some imaging. you can always cancel if it improves by itself with rest.

Last edited:
Today I did RWH Lift It HiiT it Legs. This was 42 minutes and 209 calories burned. My average heart rate was 116 and maximum heart rate was 150.

Cathy, great job with IMAX 3. We have those brief power outages sometimes too. Very annoying for streaming.

Valerie, it’s great that you have neighbors who also enjoy hiking.

Hello to Diane Sue and Judy.

mt biking today. instead of trying for a trail, we went back to the road we drove up yesterday that went to the trail we hiked. the road is rocky and rough gravel alongside a creek on one side and huge cliffs on the other. in the car we thought it was pretty flat. fooled again! uphill..... all the way, just not steep. it was rocky enough not to be muddy. e rode about 4.75 miles. saw some deer, and enjoyed the quiet. then rolled back down. the downhill was a little dicey because of all the loose rocks but easier than going up. RT 2 hrs 36 minutes.

carolyn we are so glad we met this couple. they were the first people we met here and we get along well. they live a few houses downhill from us, are close to our age. two nice dogs. politically we are on the same page, and these days with so many subjects getting politicized, it is a relief. they were both in health care too, so lots of common ground.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.