Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 10/10

Traildoggie

Cathlete
good morning.
had some things to do earlier. I was tired and achy all day yesterday due to a combo of things. didnt sleep well last night either. neither did DH so not sure if this is vaccine related or just "one of those nights" that happen for no particular reason. much better today, aches and pains pretty much gone.

will do a short weight workout and a short spin this afternoon.

Last edited:
This morning I did Jane Adams Gentle Yoga Morning Energy practice for 18 minutes. That’s it for me today.

Valerie, I hope that you are feeling better today.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Hi Everyone,

I had the day off yesterday. Chris and I went shopping and ran some errands. I did a 45 minute Peloton ride last night. Today I did a 20 minute Peloton ride before work. Chris's birthday is Thursday and he's on vacation all week. I scheduled Wednesday - Friday off so we can do some things together. If the weather permits we might get a bike ride in.

Valerie-I hope you feel better today.

Carolyn-Nice job with Jane Adams Gentle Yoga.

Diane Sue-Great job with Pedal Power.

Hi to Cathy

No workout today. I just did the basic stretches for rotator cuff and read. Husband and I went to lunch and I got the baked potato at Billy Sims. We were saying we should have just shared the potato. It was as big as 3 medium to large potatoes. I couldn't eat it all.

Carolyn, nice that you had a more relaxed day to do some cooking. I made up some things yesterday too. I baked some low carb banana coffee cake for my husband and cooked up cauliflower mash and roasted broccoli with some peanuts and lime juice. I love that stuff. Good that you got in Jane Adams Gentle Yoga this morning.

Judy, that is nice that you were able to take off too so you and your husband can do some things together. It looks like we have chances for rain most of the week. We got lawn turf builder put out on our lawn yesterday so the the timing should be right for the rain. Clouds are rolling in now and it is getting dark. Nice that you got a Peloton workout in before work.

Valerie, I noticed the posts turned around or something when I went back to read last month. I don't know what is up with other stores and Amazon. Walmart will not have some items I go there for and when I come back and check Amazon they don't have them or they are on there with a massive price increase. This has happened several times when I went to get my husband protein bars that I put in his lunches. The Adkins bars that were 9.99 at Walmart were 19.99 for 10 bars on Amazon. I refused to spend that much. Gatorade Zero is another item I have had problems with. There have been household things as well. If Amazon has a long waiting period for the item to ship, they often show back up in the stores around that time which makes me think it is a manufacture issue.
I am waiting till I go to the doctor for my yearly the first week in December to get my flu shot. I know that is a little late, but I don't like to get it to early either. I just do not want to go to the local Walgreens etc for that. I have not been in a drugstore/pharmacy since covid started.

This morning I did My Finished Combos. Tomorrow morning I’m meeting my parents at the zoo, but I should have time to workout first.

Valerie I’m glad you are feeling better. I had a lousy night, too, but I know why This time. Yesterday afternoon I had a cup of tea. Grabbed a bag out of my odds and ends container and was doing other things and not paying attention and it was pretty mostly gone before I realized it was green tea and since it was just a loose bag it was 50/50 it had caffeine, which I cannot do after noon if I want to sleep.

Carolyn great job with the yoga!

Judy that’s great that you and your husband will have time off to celebrate his birthday. Great job with the Peloton rides.

Diane Sue, the empty shelves can be frustrating. And it’s often different areas each week.

This morning I did ICE Boot Camp Circuit for 48 minutes and 284 calories burned. Average heart rate was 125 and maximum heart rate was 158.

Valerie, I‘m glad that you are feeling better.

Judy, nice job with the Peloton rides. It’s great that you will have time off for Chris’ birthday.

Diane Sue, I’m sure that you enjoyed the lunch out with your husband. I make a similar cauliflower mash using regular Parmesan cheese that we love. I like the idea of pairing it with roasted broccoli.

Cathy, nice work with your Finished Combos. Enjoy your day with your parents.

Take care everyone.

never got to work out yesterday and so far nothing today. we had planned on mt biking this morning but it rained extremely heavily last night and was cold and foggy this morning so enthusiasm for that idea tanked.

think we got the exotic pieces DH could not find at Lowes. an elbow for a downspout was one of the items.

cathy I am the same way with caffeine. I don't do caffeine after 10 am. totally messes with my sleep. I dont drink soda either. if we hike, I might have a small square of chocolate after lunch but that's not that much caffeine and unfortunately is only a small bit of chocolate

I did P30 Lower Body this morning and then met my parents at the zoo. Definitely wasn't a day to get a cardio workout at the zoo. We did the main zoo and then I walked up to Africa and they took the tram. It's a 10 minute walk, but it's end of season and they were only running one tram, so not only did I get there ahead of them, but ahead of them by more than 5 minutes. They'd only planned to do the overlook there as my Dad uses a walker, but the animals were all down on the opposite end (it's 18 acres), so they decided to go to the giraffe overlook which is probably between a 1/4-1/3 of the way through Africa. After that they turned back, and I finished the loop, but by that point I was getting hungry, so I just walked back down and headed home. They did seem to really enjoy the outing though which was good. Beautiful day for it as even this morning it was T-shirt weather. So different than last fall when my October trips there including wearing a lot of layers and taking along hot tea! Only two more weeks till they close for the year.

Valerie sorry to hear about your yucky weather!

Carolyn great job with the Boot Camp Circuit!

Did a one hour spin. 57 min to be exact. Pedal power scrambled premix. It went well. I reduced the intensity to go longer and it worked. I can do this. also did 50 push ups 32 tricep push ups and about 60 curls with a resistance band.
ETA tuesday morning. after thinking about how much less difficult it was to spin longer, something I've avoided for years, I realized I'm been doing this wrong. spinning isn't comfortable. outdoor rides.... you are constantly changing positions, and intensity, and I can go a long time outdoors. I reduced the intensity a little, did a different premix so the songs were in a different order, and realized I could do the position changes and speeding up/down much better. spin bikes don't have markings on the intensity adjustment so its not possible to compare how hard you are going compared to other times. and every bike is different. its not like the elliptical where you select a numbered level like 8. I started out slower and didnt push as hard and it was overall a better workout for me.

we were having endless summer, until suddenly it was winter. pretty nice today but snow accumulating in the mountains already. conditions were nice yesterday, but all that rain the night before needed a chance to soak in or drain away. we're going to do the ride this morning and see how it is. it doesn't close down like the zoo, but they close the trails so we can use only roads and each year we need to work out a new route after summer logging is done.

Last edited:
This morning I did Rev’d Up Rumble for 41 minutes and 278 calories burned. Average heart rate was 129 and maximum heart rate was 169. I got my booster shot this morning.

Valerie, great job with doing 57 minutes of Pedal Power. That’s wonderful that you have figured out how to increase your time with spinning. The Spinning dvds that I use offer just the kind of adjustments that you described to make the workout doable. I always felt that Cathe’s spinning workouts were too much for me!

Cathy, nice job with P30 Lower Body and walking with your parents at the zoo.

Hello to Judy and Diane Sue. Have a wonderful day everyone.

the Cathe spin workouts..I have all 4 spin dvds. 2 have countdown timers, two don't. with Cathe somehow, there is this urge to turn up the intensity. too much intensity makes it too hard to do some of the other things she asks. I dont know how come it took so long to realize this! I didnt make it "easy" just a little easier. longer was not too hard. we rode the tree farm this morning. 95 minutes. it was nice. seems logging has stopped for the year. the roads we used were re graveled nicely. the trails we rode were not too wet. trails close nov 1. it was a good morning. yesterday probably would have been Ok too. its only a few miles away, but didn't look like it got as much rain was we did.

strong work carolyn. I didn't get as marginal with the booster as I did with #2 , but allow yourself some slack tonight and tomorrow. my arm got pretty sore. DH felt worse after the booster. I felt overall body achiness and tiredness, and neither of us slept very well. then its gone and we are protected from the worst of the virus.

Yesterday I did CDorner all standing Cardio Low Impact Walk, 42 minutes, 264 calories, heart rate 147/183, 4,330 steps. I intensified lower body moves and limited the ranges of the upper. I also did most lower body when she did the light weight stuff at the end. I also did the abs that she had up today, no equipment and stopped after the superman move with pulls, that I modified. This was 13 minutes, heart rate 76/91, 23 calories. I finished with Jessica Smith Gentle Yoga first part of #1 shoulders and neck, and all of #2 lower body, 34 minutes, 44 calories, heart rate 73/83. Total time was 89 minutes, 331 calories, 4,330 steps(did not attempt to do steps for anything but cardio. I am trying to give my shoulder a rest and do the suggested protocol that I was reading about. I just need to be creative to get in something. Spin bike is not fun!! At least not to me. I changed my arthritis appointment to November 1 and am hoping I can get this to improve. It really rained hard last night. More coming throughout tomorrow and Wednesday morning which is another reason I changed my appointment. We get flooded roads and I am not making that hour trip in all of that. The electric company dug a hole in our planter and left it with wires and pipes exposed and it is filled with water now. I hope they get done with this soon. I guess they left it for next time. I thought they were just running wires into the box, but I guess they have to come up from underneath.
I guess I forgot to post yesterday as it was still here.

This morning I did Cathe Boss Loops Glutes and Core mish mosh # 4 double standing lower body strength with low impact cardio, 43 minutes, heart rate 149/183, 270 calories, 2,656 steps. I adjusted the plank split jumps to just standing split jumps with no arm raise which took my heart rate way up anyway. All is done with the band on other than the warm up. I liked this mix as I would rather be standing. I then did Walk Strong 3 Cardio Step Jam using the high step with 2 risers, 32 minutes, heart rate 144/180, 197 calories, 3,374 steps. With both workouts I kept the right arm at a lower point from raising at angles that would hurt. Worked well and I got in 6,030 steps, 467 calories, 75 minutes. I am feeling pretty bored with workouts. I liked being able to do new stuff that was fun. But I am marking off each day as a tally to see if 2 or 3 weeks helps at all. Woke in pain this morning and took one Advil and went back to sleep for a few minutes. It feels pretty good now. I avoided as much overhead work on my hair this morning though and left the flat iron out of the mix. I am not going anywhere anyway and it seems every time I get done with a workout I am fine till I get done with drying out my hair and fixing it. It is windy outside and has been thundering. Much cooler today in the 60's. My weird wifi thermostat was telling me that my heater is only cutting in for 5 minutes and cutting back off. I thought, why? I don't have it set on heat.

This morning I did Live Step Sweat and then a core workout I put together from CoreMax with the ball, shortening it up. Dreary day here, but I managed to get a fair bit accomplished around the house.

Valerie great job with the spin workout and figuring out how to make it work well for you! Sounds like you got a really good ride in this morning! We are having a very mild October. Last year my October zoo visits were wearing a lot of layers and instead of water, I had hot tea with me. We are still in the 60-70 temp range during the day and it's not getting cold at night. Just starting to get color around here, though there's been the odd thing here or there for awhile.

Carolyn great job with Rev'd Up Rumble! I hope you are spared a reaction to your booster.

Diane Sue great job with the CDorner, Jessica Smith and Cathe Boss Bands workouts! Sorry to hear you woke up in pain. I hope you are able to resolve the problems soon. The only thing I do with my hair is pull it into a ponytail to workout. When I wash it, I just let it air dry. Been doing that forever.

Yesterday I took a rest day. Today I did a 25 minute Peloton ride before work and Muscle Meltdown Shoulders & Triceps after work. I also did a 20 minute Peloton Yoga after that.

Valerie-Great job with 1 hour spin workout! Cathe's spin workouts are tougher than the usual spinning class and I also have to bring the intensity down a little with hers. There is very little rest in her workouts. Some Peloton rides are like that but most of them will have 1-2 min breaks where you ride at low intensity, especially in the rides that are over 45 minutes.

Carolyn-Great job with Rev'd Up Rumble. I need to try that one again soon.

Diane Sue-Nice workouts this week. I'm sorry about the pain. I hope your shoulder gets better soon and you can get back to doing the workouts you want to do.

Cathy-Great job with Live Step Sweat and the core workout.

I did not work out this morning because something came up that interfered with my plans. I will try to get in a walk later today. I’m feeling fine after my booster shot with very few side effects. I had a slight stuffy nose yesterday which only lasted a couple of hours. I didn’t feel very energetic during the afternoon, but nothing else. The stuffy nose happened after my 2nd shot and I didn’t immediately recognize it as a side effect. It was a couple of days later that it occurred to me that was the reason for the stuffiness that went away so quickly.

Hello to everyone and have a wonderful day.

This morning I did Live IMAX which I had done long enough ago, that I'd forgotten that is has real inconsistencies to the intensity level. It's all over the place from easy to hard for the blasts and some of the combos are really awkward with moves following other moves that don't flow. Even Cathe got messed up a couple times, because it really seemed like she was wanting to do a different move and had to start over.

Then I did her recent LIVE Total Body Barre workout which uses a yoga ball. That was FUN! Loved the parts using the ball, especially near the beginning. Lots of balance work, tossing the ball back and forth during compound moves. Would love to see a DVD workout using it. The workout used 5 & 8 lb weights, barre/fit tower, ball and mat. I don't have a yoga ball, they are weighted, but the smaller of the balls the boys use to shoot baskets in the basement was the perfect size for my hands.

My BIL, who is Canadian, was final able to go visit his mother who has dementia. He hasn't seen her since the pandemic started and she is quite bad off now. Since his retirement for officiating in the NHL, he's been overseeing officials at lower levels, and was in North Dakota and was able to drive over the border to Winnipeg. He's had a LOT of COVID tests lately. He's able to stay for a few days before heading back. It's been really hard for him not to be able to travel there. One side or the other has been throwing up roadblocks to crossing the border.

Carolyn glad that you were basically free from side affects with your booster. I won't be due for mine for a couple months yet.

Judy great job with the Peloton workouts!

Workout today was Jessica Smith Walk Strong 3 Boogie I.T., 30 minutes, 212 calories, heart rate 160/180, 3,501 steps. I modified on arm movements for the right side. I then did Fit Tower Advanced legs, glutes, and core no core mix(did not do the side leaning leg work as it would put pressure on my shoulder) I also did not get a complete reading as I accidentally paused my watch when I did the glute raises. This was 25 minutes, 61 calories, heart rate 91/114, 160 steps.
I finished with CDorner's newest mobility workout which does a lot of balance and uses a chair. I liked it a lot, but had to modify the arm on the floor stuff she did. Most of it was using the chair though. I will do it again, but next time stop at the floor part. She also does some of the time relaxing with the feet on the chair at the end. That is when I grabbed my therapy balls and did a bit with them. This was 35 minutes, heart rate 77/93, 51 calories. Total time was 90 minutes, 324 calories, 3,661 steps.
We had some major storms last night. I guess there were tornado warnings that I slept through as my phone had messages saying to take shelter and it would end around 5:30 am. When I got up and made my coffee I noticed my dog Gertie did come to say hi. I figured she was in the workout room lying on her second bed and went and got her food and called and she did not come. I looked all over and in the garage, then noticed her dog bed was missing. I found her in our bedroom next to my husband's bed sleeping. He said he came in and she was whimpering because of the storm and kept following him and when he went to close the door she looked sad so he put her in our room. She never comes in our room unless we call her in or she is sick or something and needs help. I am glad I saw the weather coming and changed my arthritis appointment that I would have went to this morning. So much water around here and flooding is always a worry. We still had standing water in the back part of our yard this morning.

Cathy, nice work with the live workouts that you put together. So you can put together parts of live workouts like you do the regular workouts with the streaming and on demand? I don't know if I would want to spend time doing that though. Is it time consuming to do? I cannot let my hair air dry. It looks straight styled, but when air dried it develops not too pretty waves. I mean waves like my bangs flip up and out, ends flip and others go side ways and I will end up with a cowlick. So I never let it air dry. I let it partially dry while doing my make up and then finish it and still need to use a flat iron to tame some pieces that have a mind of their own. I had my husband cut mine a little below my shoulders so I don't have to go through as much range of motion when drying it right now. It was getting too long. It is 60's to 70's here too. I recently purchased a new yoga/pilates ball. CDorner uses one a several workouts and so does Jessica Smith. I had two at one time, but my grandson got to keep the purple one when he was a toddler since he loved it so much. For some reason the other lost it's plug so I threw it away when we moved. I was checking out the walk strong 3 barre workout since it uses the ball, but it also uses some light weights and I am worried I can't get away with that right now. I have been keeping my eye on the live workouts, but I know any of the new ones with the Boss bands would probably not be easy to separate upper and lower right now, so I will wait a bit.

Valerie, I always start out lighter on Cathe's spin workouts. Pedal Power is my favorite and most used. I have all of them and like you, I prefer the timers. The timer gives me more incentive to push harder as I know how much time I have left. I have pushed all out hard before and boy what a workout and it was hard to push to the end, but I would just keep going with an "I can do this" Only a few more minutes till this segment is done. Then I will have in my head that I am going to stop there, but keep going. The ones without the timers are harder for me to push through. I tightened up my handlebars because when I used it the other day they kept wobbling around. I hope I got them good and tight so I do not have to deal with that. I keep looking at the Garmin sensor that does the cadence, but really ask myself why I need that? When I push the spin bike setting on the watch it tries to search for a sensor and so I just did it as cardio.

Judy, food choices to get a workout in when you have to go to work. Muscle Melt downs are nice for a not too long way of getting in some strength work when short on time.

Carolyn, those unplanned things happen sometimes. Hope you got your walk in. I am glad that you feel okay after the booster.

Good morning. Today I did LiTE Pyramid Pump Upper Body. My time was 53 minutes and 251 calories burned. Average heart rate was 119 and maximum heart rate was 153.

Cathy, great job with Live IMAX and Live Total Body Barre. That’s wonderful that your brother-in-law was finally able to visit his mother. These separations have been so difficult.

Diane Sue, you are very smart to adjust your workouts based on how your body is feeling now. Great job with WS3 Boogie I.T. and Fit Tower Legs, Glutes, and Core. I’m glad that you didn’t have an actual tornado during the bad weather.

Hello to Valerie and Judy.

No workout as I went shopping. Came home without a few things on my list. And as of a few minutes ago we are having a downpour. Really don't need rain again yet.

Diane Sue, the workouts I create in the workout blender are all from DVD's. You can't do it with the live workouts. And even then you can only do it with workouts that have chapters and sometimes the chapters are longer than you want. Like when I put together my IMAX workout from 3 and 4 I could pick from any combo and any chapter, but IMAX 2, each set of combo and blast is one chapter, and IMAX 1 doesn't have chapters. Some ab workouts have chapters but a lot don't. And once I'd done it a couple times and figured out the process it's actually pretty fast if I know what I want to use. Great for creating premixes that weren't created for the DVD. Great job with your Walk Strong, Fit Tower and CDorner mobility workout.

Carolyn great job with Pyramid Pump Upper Body!

Countdown timer helps calculate how much energy to use. if it's just a song playing endlessly with no time, I'm reluctant to crank up the speed/ tension too far. when riding outdoors, a hill up ahead is the same process. you calculate how to get to the top without running out of gas! I can't get back on the bike on a hill so I slow down but don't stop, or try not to. if I have to stop I walk to where its flatter to get back on. IMO the countdown timer lets me work harder because knowing how long the song is lets me adjust. I get up some seriously long and steep hills by slowing down and crisscrossing the road/trail to make it a little less steep. better to get off under control than to fall over. we have a simple computer on the spin bike that calculates some things, counts pedal strokes, cadence but I just record the time I spend and am OK with that. we got a LeMond spin bike. very easy to adjust in every direction. it was a little more than the entry level bikes but not ridiculous. think it was around $1100. the computer part is not high grade but I didnt need that.

my hair has some wave so never never does it air dry. UGH. horrid. I blow it dry using a brush/blower device. finally a flat iron to get the bangs smooth. shoulder length. will get an inch or two cut off in a couple weeks. it has about 47 colors growing in these days but looks OK. I'm happy to be done coloring it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.