Pentagenarians & Beyond, W/B 1/28

Lori, thanks for starting us off this week. Today is my rest day. I could feel that I needed a day off with yesterday’s workout. Valerie, it seems that you have a few options for core workouts with the dvds that you already have. Good luck with finding something that you like.

Diane Sue, I’m trying a few new dishes from the Whole 30 Fast and Easy. We loved the Butter Chicken although I was a bit put off by the name. I was glad to see that it’s not really heavy with butter :). I found that it is very similar to another chicken dish that we like.

Have a great day everyone.

Good afternoon ladies,

This morning was cardio supercuts which had some dread for me. The alternating sit outs are too much for my left shoulder and I hated the sit up into push ups on the end...so I made a premix for this one and took them out. Now no dread! :). I followed up with SB’s cardio bounce section from her dvd then into a bellicon strength bounce. Total time was 72 mins / 509 cal.

Valerie...I am usually up by 6am on Saturday’s and Sundays. I wish I could sleep later but I automatically just wake.

Carolyn...enjoy your rest day! You have been doing great with the FS workouts.

Diane Sue...I have 1lb and 2lb sand weights that I regually use for my workouts. Yes very convenient to just drop them!

Nice recommendations on ab work outs. Right now I am enjoying the FT tower ones when I do them.

Janet...I had a Polar a few years ago and felt it was pretty accurate. Once the apple watch came out then my polar was history. I gave it to my son. I liked the convenience of the apple watch and I am an apple girl and need all the bells and whistles.

Hi to Deb, Judy and Melanie!

Today was a rest day and we had a triple family birthday party this afternoon at my daughter's. :)

Carolyn, I think this 4th week that I have coming up with Fit Split is going to be tough. It has Cardio Shred two days in a row on it. I am sure one of those I will be modifying for sure. I thought it was funny that they called the recipe Butter Chicken when Whole 30 does not allow butter :) I liked it a lot and have made similar dishes. I loved the Salisbury Steak meatball one. I really want to make that chicken dip to eat for lunch with veggies or top a baked sweet potato with. The Italian Beef soup is good. Yesterday I made the Mexican Chicken one. It is okay, but is really a basic heavy on the broth soup. Not very filling even with the avocado on top. I had it tonight with a large Kale salad.

Lori, I saw you had started this when I got up this morning. Thank You :) I automatically wake up too. I wish I could sleep later. I have 2 and 3 # sand weights. One of the 3# ones keeps losing some sand and I cannot figure out where it is coming from to fix it. I find that sometimes if I am doing a longer workout like on the URX-MT rebounding workouts, my joints in my hands start aching from being wrapped around them. They are pretty big. The 2# is the best and I got those from Urban Rebounding. The 3# I got from same place called Alpha Omega or something like that that was suggested to me by someone because the price was so much less. Nice calorie burn.

Janet, my Polar Bluetooth is the HR7 . I loved it at first and being able to use the Polar app which has a lot of workouts listed on it to use. But, shortly after I got it it started dropping off or having me with a very high heart rate. I talked to Polar several times. They suggested interference at first, so I removed anything else bluetooth from the room except my tablet to monitor with the polar app. No, luck. I changed batteries multiple times. I changed straps as I have 5 of them. Then they sent me another strap saying it needed to be replaced every so many months. That didn't work either. So, I went back to the watch for awhile and then my husband purchased me the Fit Bit for my birthday a year and a half ago. I did see they have a newer bluetooth monitor. I believe I can use my Fit Bit with the Polar app, but there is a monthly fee. Out of all of the Polars I have had the F11 and FT7 were the ones that worked the best for me. I still have the FT7 , but haven't wanted to send it out for a battery replacement again. I learned my lesson when I tried to change the battery myself in my F11. I also have an F4 (I think that is what it is) and an FT60. I liked the older straps that were softer and not covered with some plastic type of coating. I think the non coded hard straps worked better but were less comfortable.

not a hard workout, did not feel very good today. I did about 40 min in a spin, and pulled out Xtrain #1 abs. as soon as I heard the music, I remembered it. speed bag arms! I have done this one a thousand times, but I like it. somehow I did it a million x and moved on to a new series and forgot about it. also, easier to get to because of the bonus category in the menu.
the spin I did was cycle sweat premix. new TV seems to manage the music volume better. there were a lot of up/down fluctuations in volume I never got before. this is a new TV and running without extra speakers. The DVD player also would run VCR's so guess we've had it awhile!! but it works fine.

the only HRM that works for me is a Polar hard strap and watch. it's only about a yr old, I forget the model #. not a complex one. it still doesn't work well with the spin bike, but works part of the time. I can get a heart rate but forget calorie burn or anything else. the fancy Timex one doesn't work at all with the spin bike computer. no contact at all.

Good morning,

We got back around 4:00 yesterday. It was a great trip. Kylee did not qualify Saturday, missed it by one exercise. She got distracted by something someone in the crowd did, looked over there and mis-heard my command. I said "down", but she sat instead. She made up for it yesterday with a score of 197.5 out of 200, and a first place! :). One more leg to go towards this title.

Lori, thanks for starting the new thread for the week. I knew there was something about Cardio Supersets that turned me off....now I know what it was.

Carolyn, now that you also mentioned the butter chicken, I will need to go look at that one. I may need to renew my library book.

Diane Sue, I like to use the Cathe weighted gloves for some kickboxing, never thought to just pick up a one pound weight...duh. Makes is easier when there is something you do not want to have a weight in your hand for. I need to go look at the other recipes you mentioned...if I don't buy the book, I want to copy them before I have to return it. I change the battery in the watch if my Polar FT4...have never changed the battery in the hard strap that I have had for years. I like it a lot better than the soft one where the unit snaps on to the strap. Those batteries can be changed without sending it in, but seem to not last long, or there was some other reason I decided to go back to the hard strap.

Valerie, I hope you are feeling better.

Hi to Judy, Janet and Melanie,

Take care,

Valerie, that is nice that the new tv handles the music up and down better. Our tv in the living room requires you to sit with a remote on hand so you are not blasted out with music or advertisements. It is either that or have it so low you cant hear the talking.

Deb, I have checked out books and just stuck them in my scanner for copies of a recipe that wanted to try. If I like them a lot, I buy the book. I saw ssome coded and noncoded hard straps on Amazon this weekend. Thatbis too bad a spectator caused Kylee to miss the cue. Thats great that she made up for it yesterday. That will be sweet if she takes first place :)

This morning I did Shred Cardio and Push Day. My time was 1 hour and 3 minutes with 362 calories burned. My average heart rate was 117 and maximum heart rate 157.

Lori, I like Supercuts except for the two moves that you mentioned. I don’t do the sit outs, I substitute something else instead. And I am very slow with the push ups and sit ups at the end. I probably get half the number of reps as Cathe and her team.

Diane Sue, I’m also starting week 4 of the Fit Split rotation and I plan to make some changes to make it less intense for me. I haven’t decided yet on what the changes will be.

Deb, I’m glad that you had a good weekend with Kylee. If you look for that recipe it is actually called skillet butter chicken.

Valerie, It’s good that you rediscovered the Xtrain Abs workout. I had forgotten that one, but I like it too.

Hello to Judy, Janet, and Melanie.

Deb congrats on Kylee's terrific performance. too bad she got distracted once.

Do you remember when TV's had a specific setting to 'equalize" volumes between different channels and between regular programming and commercials? a long time ago, but until you mention it diane sue, I'd forgotten. I don't remember where it was, the TV itself or the remote.

I'm looking forward to trying the workouts with loud music and see if this TV makes them better. I was using an ancient Sony but switched to a brand new Samsung a few months ago. the Samsung is small, maybe 30 inches, and it's going to MT with us so we got another medium TV, an LG. that one seems to have better sound. the Samsung needed a sound bar or it was very tinny, but the LG is fine by itself.

Carolyn too have never been able to do sit outs. every time they show up, I try, but I can't get the movement right. I don't keep up when she does the sit ups / push ups. I count to myself and do them all... just a little slower. I think rushing to keep up has potential for injury. I'd rather do them all but take slightly longer with good form.
I also googled for "butter chicken" and apparently every cooking show and cook in the world has their own version. I'll try with skillet and see what I get.

We talked to our neighbors in MT and our snow fence is working. the driveway is not getting the big drift that developed last year. they drove to our house and checked the propane level for us too. we are planning on heading there soon but last yr our driveway got blocked. that would be a major inconvenience. really pleased we have been able to move the location where snow accumulates, especially on our first try.

Reactions: WD
Valerie, I agree with trying to go too fast with the sit ups and push ups leading to injury for me. That’s why I go slower. Sometimes I pause the player to get them all done and other times I just do what I can in the allotted time. The chicken recipe is a version of an Indian dish called chicken Makhani. It uses garam masala as one of the spices.

Hi Everyone,

Saturday I did Fit Split Low Impact Cardio & Metabolic Conditioning. Sunday I took a rest day and today I did a Spinerval and the medicine ball segment from Ab Circuits. Tomorrow I'm planning on doing a lower body workout and Wednesday I have a massage scheduled.

Lori-Great job with the workouts! Supercuts is a challenging one. I agree about the dread factor. I have 1 & 3 lb sand weights. I love using them for walking workouts and kickboxing.

Deb-That's great that Kylee got first place yesterday!

Janet- I feel the same way about heart rate monitors. I've been using them so long, I can't workout without one. I used Polar for years. I switched to the Garmin GPS running watch in 2005, since I was mostly running and biking at the time. I found Garmin's heart rate accuracy to be very similar to Polar. I'm going to look at the H10 HRM that you mentioned.

Valerie-I hope you feel better today. I agree about the situp/pushup combos. I can never keep up with Cathe on those. I don't even try.

Hi to Diane Sue, Carolyn & Melanie!

Judy

Reactions: WD
since I had x Train out for the ab workout, I did Burn sets ch,ba, sh. and then the ab workout again. it's easier than I remember, probably because I've done abs a couple times a week for a long time now. I did not go to the last weight I'd used on burn sets, but stayed 5 lbs under. if I don't get sore, I'll go back to my recorded weight. next time. Have not done in a while but I like this kind of workout. can't believe how heavy cathe goes on this one. 30, 35. too much for me.

Today was Fit Split Metabolic Conditioning + bonus abs timesaver mix, 42 minutes, 240 calories heart rate average 104, max 140. I used Map My Fitness calorie burn. I swear my fit bit does not work very well. I have to do my own math on my workouts. It was suggested that it makes a difference if you use the correct exercise, so I am trying using weights for weights so it supposedly can count calories right. When I got done it said 168 calories on the Fit Bit which with Cathe's workout manager would be in a category with Yoga at 2.7 met. Cathe gives this workout a 8.20 met at 380 calories :0 Anyway, I used strength on Map My Fitness and weights on Fit Bit and Even with the 240 calorie burn I was still at a 5.2 met which is 3 under Cathe's stats. I am just picking the mid range numbers. Map My Fitness and Fit Bit both run off my Fit Bit for the cardio and training stats. It just really annoys me. I used Cathe's weights today, even down to the 5's in one move and I am glad that I did because my left shoulder was in some sort of painful spasms for awhile. Afterward I did some stretches and a 10 minute up the wall sciatica workout from Sarah Beth yoga. Since Sarah Beth Yoga was just lying on the floor with up the wall stuff I did not count it for calories.

Carolyn, I was looking over the rotation and I see that the bonus abs fall two days in a row as well. At first I thought that I was supposed to be doing low impact with the metabolic and had out Lori's version. Then I realized it was the weights and abs when I took another look.

Valerie, I think the equalizing was on the tv itself. Ours has some auto light dimming and brightening for the lighting in the room. You would think we wouldn't get blasted out of the room with advertising or some stations and movies. It is a 60 inch Sharp and we have a Sony surround sound system with it. We only use that for movies. The skillet butter chicken recipe says it is a version with the name Carolyn gave you and generally has yogurt or cream in it. The version in this cookbook uses coconut milk. I like that this cookbook is divided up from salads, skillet dinners, sheet pan meals, and slow cooker meals. I need to get some more red peppers. It seems a lot of the recipes I have marked to try call for them. I also need more items for the salads and dressings. That is great that the snow fence is working and that you have neighbors that can check things for you.

Judy, you have a nice looking week of workouts and massage planned :) I feel lost without a heart rate monitor. Somehow mine got packed when we moved and while waiting to get into our house I bought the Polar F4 just so I had one. It is not my favorite one though. When I work out without one I keep looking at my wrist out of habit.

Good evening ladies,

Today was a rest day from the rotation. I still felt like doing something so I did a few SB bounces but free styled when it came time for the strength intervals. 42 mins and 317 cal. Tonight I did a Bellicon Dance workout for 25 mins. / 207 cal. I love doing a bounce in the evening. Was doing them regularly but not as much lately. Going to try and get back onto it.

Deb...Yeah Congrats to Kylee!!!! I love Supercuts but those moves needed to go. Too much on my shoulder. I have been doing great since my last cortisone shot and I don’t do anything that may cause it to flare up. I bought my sand weights at walmart for cheap money. They are great for kickboxing or when I am on my trampoline or whenever I want to intensify a workout a bit. They are perfect for how Diane Sue mentioned. Very easy to drop and move one without missing a beat.

Valerie...hope you are feeling better. You did a great workout for not feeling well. Before I hurt my shoulders I did not mind the sit outs or the sit up push up combination. Now won’t even look at them. I do not remember the equalizing on TVs.

Carolyn....when I did do the sit up/pushup combination I could never keep up. I think I was always short 1 or 2.

Judy...your workouts are great and then to add in a massage! Very nice. :)

Diane Sue....I only had 1 fit bit and found it did not work well at all for me. I am very happy with my watch and glad I invested in it. I am the same way about tracking my workouts. I almost feel like such a waste if I forget to start my watch. It keeps me motivated. You and Carolyn amaze me doing the FS Bonus abs! That is so great!

Hi to Melanie and Janet!

Good morning,

No workout yesterday, I was just exhausted, did not sleep well.

Carolyn, you are doing great with the FS rotation. What part of the FS rotation do you want to remove? or substitute? I found that the days where you do both the cardio and weight work to be really tough. It is better to do the "weights first" option, but still hard to get through.

Valerie, out TV in the basement ( the only one we have..LOL)...does the same thing...when I play a DVD it is a certain volume, then when I stream a LIVE workout, I have to either raise or lower the volume on the TV. Maybe it was your TV all along that made the music drown out Cathe's voice on your DVD's. Good that the snow fence is working.

Judy, great workout plan! Great that you are getting a massage. :). I am the same with the HRM...if I don't wear it, or it messes up and does not record my heart rate, I feel like I didn't do a workout or it doesn't count for some reason. Weird I know.

Diane Sue, I was trying to use the correct description of a workout with the FitBit as well, and found it was really strange with how it measured calories burned. I started using the generic, "Workout" instead of the Weights one and it seemed to match more like what my Polar was measuring. Now I only use it so that I get credit for the day. I have my goal as 5 workouts a week, I use the calories from my Polar to record in MFP etc.

Lori, nice workouts. I have one pair of those sand weights....I think they are 1/2 pound each...thanks for reminding us about using them instead of the gloves. :). When I tried to keep up with the sit up/push up combo the last time, I strained my shoulder....and thought. "that was a really stupid thing to do!"...I will never do that again.

Class this morning, maybe a workout...

Take care,

Lori, I think I should have tried my husbands other Samsung Gear before he gave it to my grandson, It may have worked better with my Samsung phone. I dont know that I would wantban apple watch since I hae moved away from apple products. I have been reviewing others for a later time when mybFit Bit is ready to be retired. I like the sleep stages and some features on the Fit Bit though. I think I paid 18 dollars for my 3 # sand weights and theybare pretty big. I have not seen them in Walmart.

Deb, I wish the Fit Bit was more accurate. I like it and get frustrated with it at the same time. The high end seems off a lot of the time. It will sometimes give me thevsame high end I get for cardio when I am doing something way lighter. Another update was on the app today.

Deb I just guessed on calling that feature "equalization". there was likely a name for the technology. Mostly it was aimed at complaints people had that commercials were so much louder than actual programming, and volume differences between channels. Now, do you even get a scrap of paper with a TV, much less a manual? we got nothing on the last 2. I think everything you need to know is printed on the box itself.
I looked closer at the jug of cold brew coffee I bought, and it is STOK brand. I used one called Gevalia before. I like that it's a big jug and I can add to a cup of coffee, or pour some in a bottle to take along on a ride.

I am the outlier here. no fitness monitor except occasionally wearing the HRM. The newer HRM I got from cousin does not work at all on the spin bike. the watch ( mens) is too big and bulky to wear doing a metabolic workout with weights. I record what I did... workout and time, on a calendar and in my WW online account but not detailed. none of the readouts from the chest strap or machine readouts is remotely accurate, so I've never gotten used to it. typically, I am 15 minutes into a workout before anything even registers, even if I pre wet the strap. right away, it is inaccurate.
Did you read the story this past weekend about how wearing fitness monitors Fit bits mainly, issued by our military, is providing all kinds of potential intelligence that could be used against us in distant military bases, like in Syria and Mogadishu? fascinating story. the outline of the bases, and where people concentrate, plus routes of patrols show up clearly on maps because of everyone wearing fitness monitors! people wear monitors and jog regular routes etc and the resulting lines of data clearly show locations. it's clearer than a road map.

I got a bit sore in arms back and shoulders after yesterdays Burn sets. my choice of going lighter was a good one, although that encouraged me do many extra reps on the "to failure" sets. It's good overall light DOMS so next time I will go back to my previous weight.

Today I did Mixed Impact Cardio and Pull Day for 1 hour and 11 minutes and 343 calories burned. My average heart rate was 113 and maximum heart rate 148. I am still following the rotation as written.

Deb, I am considering substituting some other cardio for the Fit Split Cardio. I was undecided about doing Pull Day immediately after Push Day, but I followed the plan. That actually worked out well for me today. I feel good and not overly tired which was my fear.

Valerie, great workout. X Train is an excellent series. I love using a fitness tracker which started with the Polar devices that I have used in the past. I saw that story about location data posted by Strava and the problems it is causing for the military.

Diane Sue, I’m satisfied with my Fitbit even though I know it’s not completely accurate. I have looked at the Apple Watch many times but it doesn’t connect to WW which is an important factor for me. If that changes I will switch.

Judy, good workouts this week. I know you will enjoy your massage.

Lori, I know what you mean about needing a break from the rotation. I am ready to change from doing only the workouts. Usually when I do a rotation there is much more variety.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.