Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 1/22/2023

Traildoggie

Cathlete
good morning.

raining this morning so we didnt go walk. cathy thats what our winter has been like too. cold and snowy early on but january has been benign other than rain. mostly light and over a long time, typical for here. not purring away the generator and lanterns yet. always a surprise.

Last edited:
Did Pyramid Pump Lower Body today. Deleted the dead lifts. It's snowing here today, but it's not going to be anything more than a couple inches. Looking ahead at the forecast, we may actually get through January without any relevant snowfall. Big storm right before Thanksgiving and another at Christmas has been the extent of our winter. It has been a very rainy January! We'll see what February brings, as it's often our worst weather. I just hope Derek and Aliah have no issues the end of February getting to Detroit for their flight to Phoenix. After losing out on going to Fort Worth that would be so rough on him.

This morning I did my regular yoga for 18 minutes. We are having a cold rainy day today. It’s the kind of weather that makes me want warm soup.

Valerie, I’m sorry that you didn’t get to hike today.

Cathy, great job with Pyramid Pump Lower Body.

Waving hello to Judy and Diane Sue.

I did Pyramid Pump Upper Body today. Was supposed to go over and let the dogs next door out at 9, but just as I put my coat on, I got a call that the surgery for of their Dad's was called off, because he was on a medication that conflicted and they'll do it in six months. He has a major aneurysm near his heart and several more in the stomach area and apparently he's quite obese. Sadly, that's not likely to be a good outcome, they'd already been told surgery survival was 50-50. And you'd think we'd reached the point with technology that they would have known sooner than when he was there waiting for his surgery that a med conflicted.

Carolyn great job keeping up with your yoga.

Valerie sorry to hear your walk didn't work out.

Today I did a timesaver from Cardio Supersets that was 27 minutes and 176 calories burned. My average heart rate was 128 and maximum heart rate was 150.

Cathy, nice job with Pyramid Pump Upper Body. Your neighbor’s health situation doesn’t sound good. I agree they should have known about his medication conflicts prior to the day before surgery. Six months is a long time to wait.

Hello to all and have a great day.

how unfortunate no one noticed until the last minute there was a conflict. 6 months is a long wait to get back on the schedule. maybe there is a "cancellation" list to add his name to for if something sooner opens up? I have family who had a similar surgery. only(??) one aneurism, on the ascending aorta. he came thru fine. his was a "family" defect. his father died of one, and his brother has one. being monitored for increasing size. both are decent physical shape. obesity brings with it a lot of problems and related conditions. hopefully something will open up on the calendar and he can get moved up.

all I did yesterday was therapy. I'm having increasing back problems that I will need to do something about. it's like body parts are failing, one after the other, rapidly. trying to maintain some level of fitness without causing any other issues.

its possible the patient didn't remember to include all the meds he was on, or that something was added recently. most people barely know what they are taking much less why. also possible his list wasnt properly checked by the surgicenter so not trying to blame anyone in particular. if hes on anticoagulants, they would need to be stopped before a surgical procedure.

Last edited:
Today is a rest day for me. I did an hour of Yin Yoga and some stretching.

Cathy-Great job with Pyramid Pump Lower & Upper Body. I just got a weather alert that we may get 5-8 inches of snow on Wednesday. It sounds like your neighbor is in a bad situation. I can't believe the medical facility didn't realize he was on a conflicting medication until the day of the surgery.

Carolyn-Great job with yoga and the Cardio Supersets timesaver.

Valerie-I'm sorry about your back problems.

Hi to Diane Sue

Today I did CDorner Progressive Total Body Workout, 33 minutes, 86 calories, heart rate 93/119, 345 steps. I then did CDorner 30 minute Step Hiit from today, 31 minutes, 139 calories, heart rate 120/151, 1,281 steps. I finished with the Stretch after Step workout, 16 minutes, 29 calories, 56 steps. T0tal time was 80 minutes, 254 calories, 1,681 steps. I wondered at the steps on the Hiit step, but then remembered that it has some triceps dips, plank holds and things that were not so many steps in it. I did the low impact moves she showed on the jacks and jumps. No overhead press in the weight work which was a plus for me.
Progressive Total Body Workout
most moves are 60 seconds except the ones that are put together which are 90 seconds fabric bands and dumbbells used
warm up
banded weighted squats heavy band with 15# dumbbells
banded tap outs heavy band
banded tap out with jump or just up on toes 90 seconds
wide squat with heel lift 15# dbs
hammer curl10# dbs front raise 10's alternating.
wide squat with heel lift/hammer curl/ squats front raise 10's 90 seconds
dead lifts 15# dbs
bent over row 15# dbs
side to side curtsy lunge 15# dbs
combo 90 aec dead row to curtsy or reverse lunge 15# dbs
Floor
glute bridge 20# db
close grip press/fly 10# dbs
glute bridge /close grip press /flys 80 seconds 10# dbs
stretch

Valerie, it has been pretty dry here this winter. Just an occasional light shower. The Forecast is showing snow starting tomorrow morning and snowing into Wednesday. I imagine in the end we will have ice as when it starts it temps will be up just enough for it to melt and so mix with rain then will be below freezing. I noticed bulbs coming up in our front yard this afternoon when I went to the mailbox :)
I am sorry that your back is causing you problems now. I wonder if maybe some areas are getting more work than others and causing some imbalances? I have off and on back issues, between lower and mid back along the spine gets achy. Probably is arthritis for me though. I recently removed the leg wedge because my knee started hurting. That usually kept some pressure off my low back. It takes work keeping everything balanced out and keeping in physical shape at the same time.

Cathy, I hope things go well for your son in February. We had a trip planned once in February where I was flying to Las Vegas to meet my husband when he came back from Afghanistan, and we had a huge snow. Flight was postponed till the next day so he got to spend a day in Vegas by himself. That was one of our worst snow storms and they had cleared a path up the country roads for one car. My son picked me up to take me. I was so worried we come across an oncoming vehicle. There was no way to open the car door if we got stuck. It was a relief when we got closer to city roads that were sanded and cleared well. And we were in my son's truck. Nice work with Pyramid Pump Upper Body. That is sad for your neighbors father.

Carolyn nice work with your usual Sunday Yoga and today's Cardio Supersets timesaver.

Judy, nice work getting in an hour of yin yoga. I bet it felt good.

I pulled out Step Moves this morning. Hadn't done it in a long time and forgot how fun it was. To clarify it's not one of the guys next door, it's one of their parents.

Carolyn nice job with Cardio Supersets.

Valerie is it possible that the problems you are having are from compensating for other muscles/joints? Years ago I had that happen before my right knee surgery, I was moving in such a way that my left knee started acting up. My Dad had a brain aneurysm when he was still in his 40's. They found it by accident when they were looking for blood clots. Never has it been luckier to pass out at the barbers. They were trying to rule out causes and found it. Otherwise he'd not have known until it burst. He had to sit around for a couple weeks before surgery, I can't imagine waiting months. Then he was in the early stages of being prepped when an emergency came in that the doctor had no choice but to do, so his got delayed another day. They are really long surgeries. Fortunately my sister was on a break from college, because my Mom does not deal with doctors, hospitals any of it well at all.

Judy great you got it the yoga and stretching.

Diane Sue nice job with Progressive Total Body Workout, the step and stretch. There were several times when school here should have been cancelled that I'd drive the 5 mile stretch of road into town, and then sit and wait at the school until everyone had gotten into there, because a lot of people go that way, and then I'd head home because it was really only one lane in places and not fully two in others.

This morning I did LIS Upper Body Trisets for 61 minutes and 295 calories burned. My average heart rate was 116 and maximum heart rate was 158.

Valerie, I think that therapy exercises can be considered a workout. I’m sorry that your back is giving you problems.

Judy, great job with Yin Yoga and taking a rest day.

Diane Sue, great job with CDorner Progressive Total Body, Step HiiT, and Stretch after Step.

Cathy, nice job with Step Moves. I’m glad that you enjoyed Step Moves. It was never one of my favorites.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

I have found out in the last few years that I have scoliosis (spine curvature) mainly because one leg is shorter than the other, or the difference is caused by some cyrving in mt spine. its not severe but not great and pretty common. I've managed pretty well for 75 years. this might be related to my knee problem but an "imbalance". my main problem is the pacemaker. prevents me from getting MRI imaging studies so details can be seen. the guy I saw this morning feels a CT will give them plenty of info and worst case I might need a minor surgical procedure. for some other reasons I stopping taking a NSAID that worked for me and am trying a different one that doesn't work as well.

our cousin with the aortic aneurism has known for years. he monitor for increase in size. his brother had one that started to increase, had surgery to correct it. their father had one that burst. new imaging can let docs keep a close eye on changes. these are all people in their 60s to 70s not 40's .
I can't imagine waiting months! he should ask about cancellations. people change their minds, other things come up, people die, people get covid, lots of reasons. he might be able to take an earlier opening if he has enough notice to d\c the offending medication. I've had good luck on cancellation wait list. even if he has to call the office every week, if it moves him up the list, it's worth the effort.
I am getting in to see a doc today, after calling for an appointment (expected to wait at least a month) but they had a cancellation today and I grabbed it. if you're not a 9-5 worker, its worth trying. it gets more complicated since he needs a ride to the surgical center.
I did 30 on the bike, x train abs and therapy yesterday.

Last edited:
Today I did a 60 minute Peloton ride and a 20 minute Peloton total body strength workout. We have a winter storm warning for tomorrow and it sounds like it could be a big one. I'm so glad that I will be home and not working.

Diane Sue-Great job with CDorner Progressive Total Body Workout, 30 minute Step Hiit and stretch. The total body workout looks pretty good.

Cathy-Great job with Step Moves.

Carolyn-Great job with LIS Upper Body Trisets. The Trisets from LIS is one workout I haven't done much with. I'll have to get it out and try it again.

Valerie-Great job with the bike, xtrain abs and physical therapy. I hope your doctor appointment went well today.

Today I did all CDorner workouts. I did Quick and Sweaty Cardio with dumbbells// tabata 30 minutes, 149 calories, heart rate 124/147, 2,348 steps. She only uses dumbbells in one Tabata and uses 5#, I used 3#. I did the modifiers for some of the moves. There is a lot of jacks mixed in, and some thrusters. I then did Solid no equipment abs, 21 minutes, 58 calories, heart rate 91/120, 134 steps. I finished with her Relaxing Flow Mobility// bonus neck and upper back 28 minutes, 46 calories. Total time was 79 minutes, 253 calories, 2,538 steps. Chris starts out explaining what a real tabata is and says this is not that type of tabata it is only the 20/10 part that represents tabata. I always wondered why I hear the tabata phrase all of the time and the workouts are not really tabata. Last night I spent a half hour doing non weighted work for knees off of YouTube Precision Fitness. I made the mistake of doing it on the ceramic tile and work up in the middle of sleep with my knee hurting. I took an Advil and went back to sleep. It seems okay today. The moves were supposed to strengthen knees to avoid getting hurt and one of the videos was for recovering from aa torn meniscus. The guy did the entire segments as follow a long and showed a list of the moves. I think they could be good though. My problem was some was kneeling, and I should have got a mat out. It has been snowing all day today. It started this morning and temp was not too bad, so I sat on the patio for a bit to watch the big flakes come down.

Cathy, nice work doing Step Moves. It has been ages since I have done that one. I always liked it. I used to take my grandchildren to different schools and pick them up. 5 if them at that time. Most of the time I lucked out with school closings, but there were sometimes that I told my children I did not want to drive on the roads when they were icy and snow covered.

Carolyn, nice work on LIS Upper Body Trisets.

Valerie, that is lucky that you were able to get right into the doctor because of a cancellation.

Judy, great job on the Peloton Ride and 20 minute Peloton strength workouts. It has snowed here all day today. The forecast says it will end around 2 am. Tomorrow it is supposed to get into the 40's so this will not stay.

This morning I did Bun Burners Barre and Ball. Standing no equipment, followed by barre and then ball at the end. Then I did Low Impact Sweat Cardio 2, which is the one with the step. Woke up to an alert that the school is closed based on projected snowfall through the day. Since most of it will happen later in the day, and I know I drove to school in worse, not really sure why they closed. Though it's only like their second snow day and the state gives them six. Saves them some money on utilities, gas for buses and staff since at least non teachers have to use their annual or sick days to get paid. Though not the best timing for high school as they are approaching the end of the semester. I will probably delay my shopping day till Friday so the roads are better.

Carolyn nice job with LIS Upper Body Trisets.

Valerie I agree with Carolyn that therapy counts as a workout. I hope you get some solid answers soon. My BIL has a very small aneurysm they found when he was in the hospital with COVID and running tests. He had it pretty early on in 2020. They are just keeping an eye on it, too.

Judy great job with the Peloton ride and strength workout. Sounds like you may be getting a bigger storm there than us. We are 3-6" total. 3" we may not even need to shovel unless DH needs to get out. My Yaris sits high enough to get out in that. Saw this morning that the Keeweenaw has 10.5" of snow this month which is a record low by a LOT. That area usually gets more than 200" a winter.

Diane Sue good job with Quick and Sweaty Cardio, abs and mobility.

appt went well yesterday. I need to get a CT scan, continue to do what Ive been doing. I will likely need to change medicine since my sxs got worse when I switched to this drug.

none of us are "perfect" physically and those little things become more noticeable as we get older. our cousin will probably never need to do anything with his aneurism because its small and has not changed.

This morning I did JS 30 Minute Fat Blaster. That was 30 minutes with 220 calories burned, average heart rate 137 and maximum heart rate 158. I did a virtual WW meeting then spent a long time on a virtual visit with my financial person. It’s been a busy morning. I saw that Cathe posted an update about her shoulder surgery and recovery in the Open Discussion forum.

Valerie, good job with the elliptical, XTrain Abs, and therapy exercises. That’s good that you could get your medical appointment so quickly because of a cancellation. It’s worth checking to see if there are cancellations, something I need to remember.

Judy, great job with the 60 minute Peloton ride and 20 minute Peloton Total Body Strength. The Trisets from LIS are good workouts, but I don’t think of them unless they are in Cathe’s monthly rotation.

Diane Sue, great job with CDorner Cardio, Abs, and Mobility flow.

Cathy, great job with Bun Burners Barre and Low Impact Sweat 2.

Have a great day everyone.

Carolyn, I dont know if this cancellation tactic works everywhere. this works pretty well if everyone isn't doing it. if time isnt important, I schedule normally but if I want to get something taken care of soon, I ask if they have a "cancellation list". some do, some don't. some offices tell you to call them and check every week, others put your name on a list. you are contacted if something opens up, and then you can accept or decline. on this last one, I called the day before expecting a several week wait. I lucked out with one the next day.

Today I did CDorner 45 minute at home leg workout//lifted glutes skipping some of it, 38 minutes, 101 calories, heart rate 95/123, 349 steps. I followed with Kelly;s Cardio Quick Fix workout #1, 25 minutes, heart rate 122/144, 124 calories, 3,024 steps, and finished with Raw stretch after workout, 8 minutes, 15 calories. total time was 70 minutes, 240 calories, 3,373 steps.
I am amazed that Cathe is already out and coaching only a month post surgery. I wonder if my arthritis, bone spur and the biceps tendon being attached made mine take longer. She sure is a strong person. I sure did not look that good a month out after surgery.
My shoulders, back, spine and feet have been really hurting the last few days and then I realized today that I ran out of the UltraCur Advanced curcumin supplement a few days ago. I knew it worked, but did not realize how much. I ordered some more this morning. I was going to order from the company and maybe would have got it just as quick as Amazon. Amazon said 1 day and now they say Friday. The manufacturer which I have mentioned is just a few miles away, but when I got to check out free shipping said 3 to 5 days and also said ships the day ordered if before 2. I want to try their immunity formula so may try ordering it from the manufacturer so I can see how long it takes.
Leg Workout at Home all moves 60 minutes progresses each round to more difficult or follow already done moves
Rnd 1

1 leg squat right 15# dbs
1 leg squat left 15# dbs
1 leg stationary lunge right 15# dbs
1 leg stationary lunge left 15# dbs
1 leg glute bridge right 15# db
1 leg glute bridge right 15# db
right leg up and over hands and knees right no weight
left leg up and over hands and knees right no weight
Rnd 2
1 leg sit and stand right ( I did not sit as I used the step and not a bench) 15# db
1 leg sit and stand left 15# dbs
reverse lunge right 15# dbs
reverse lunge left 15# dbs
right leg elevated foot on step no weight
left leg glute bridge foot elevated on step
balanced side and back right leg no weight
balanced side and back left leg no weight
Rnd 3
side step ups right
side step ups left I did 1 leg squat from rnd 1 with 15# dbs
1 leg glute bridge lying with back on step right ( I opted for Rnd 2) no weight
1 leg glute bridge lying with back on step left
Step Ups right(skipped) alternative is lunges
Step Ups left skipped
Bench leg lifts right outer (skipped)
Bench leg lifts left outer
Bulgarian Split right(skipped)
Bulgarian Split Left
Stretch

Cathy, I think our state has gotten more cautious about weather and safety so it seems they close more often than they used to. I am sure most parents and teachers would rather not have to be out driving around in it.

Carolyn, nice work with JS 30 minute fat blaster. You really did have a busy day. I have some business I need to get done online or phone.

Valerie, I have not had to push to get in right away often. My dentist office always calls if there is an opening for an earlier appointment. I need to call and set up for some dental work I am putting off. They kept saying something about a pocket and this last time they wanted to schedule, but I chose to wait till winter weather is gone. They are not close, and I really do not want to change dentists. I may get called because I have been friends with the receptionist for years. My husband wants to change himself to closer as the hygienist we have always had is no longer there. I think she may have passed away. I really liked her. She was chatty and seemed to know all of the customers well. The arthritis center and heart hospital are not good places to get in to. I have appointments ready a year ahead. So changing them is not always that quick.
I am glad that your appointment went well. I imagine all of us eventually have some things to deal with as we age.

So, that habit of not previewing workouts got me this morning. LOL I decided to do Gloved Up and Ready, and only when I started did I realize it had a weighted section. I did the first 30 minutes which were boxing based and then some upper body stretching and the extended lying stretch from Step Boss. It was during the stretch that I discovered that Bun Burners Barre and Ball should also say quads! When I mine are sore I generally only feel it when stretching them and wow! Going to have to shovel after lunch. Looks like we got about 5". Fortunately it wasn't windy at all and the temps were high enough early on in the snowstorm yesterday that the road is clear.

Valerie I'm glad you are getting things figured out and hopefully the CT scan will be helpful.

Carolyn nice job with 30 Minute Fat Blaster.

Diane Sue great job with at home leg workout//lifted glutes, Cardio Quick Fix and stretch. I can tell you there were days when I wish I hadn't had to make the drive to school. The worst was what I refer to as "the winter from hell." We had so many days off that it pushed the last day of school till Derek's birthday June 18. He was not amused. The state allows 6 weather related days, and they even threw in a couple extra that year and we were still over by a lot. And because there were so many truly bad days, we ended up going on days that normally would have been snow days because if the roads were at all passible they had to go. Some schools in Michigan went as much as a week longer than we did.

This morning I did LIS Lower Body Trisets express. That was 26 minutes with 130 calories burned. My average heart rate was 119 and maximum heart rate was 149. Then I did Jane Adams Evening Practice for another 29 minutes and 58 calories burned.

Diane Sue, great job with CDorner Leg Workout, Cardio Quick Fix workout 1, and Raw stretch.

Cathy, nice job with doing part of Gloved Up and Ready. I like to preview new workouts and I will review those that I haven’t done in a while. I look at the preview from the Shop Cathe page or my workout sheet to review the exercises. I’m one of those people who needs to have a mental picture of what’s coming next .

Hello to Valerie and Judy.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.