Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 1/19

oh bummer deb. does your primary care person have suggestions? you get too many of these. some people think drinking cranberry juice is preventive. atrophic vaginitis ? affects a lot of post menopausal women and can be a factor.

Last edited:
This morning I did Jane Adams’ Gentle Yoga, Morning Energy practice. That was 18 minutes. This is a nice gentle wake up yoga practice.

Deb, I’m so sorry that you are dealing with this again. I hope you can find out why it keeps occurring.

Hi again,

At least the urgent care places are open at 8 am on Sunday, so it was a quick visit, and just had to pick up the script at the drugstore. The culture will not be back for 3 days, but I am pretty sure that the same anti-biotic would be one that they would prescribe. I will be calling my Urologist tomorrow to let her know about it and see what she wants to do. Lots of snow yesterday, and of course, John is in the Bahamas fishing, and I have no idea how to even start the snow blower. My neighbor saw me shoveling and came over and did the snow blowing for me.

Carolyn, WOW that had to be scary!! I hope no one was hurt! I can see how it would be a while for your heart to stop racing. I looked over the recipes and other info from the Sugar Craving program, and decided not to get the Cleanse one right now.

Diane Sue, Funny that your FitBit thought you were over your calories with oatmeal. I bet it takes the total you put in and divides it or something. I have that setting on my FitBit that reminds me to take more steps so that I get 250 and hour, sometimes it irritates me, especially when I am napping! Sorry about the CT numbers and the meds your DR wants to prescribe. Is your cholesterol number really high?

Valerie, nice that you got some skiing in. Did you get your boots from REI? I was shoveling with a puffy jacket as my outer layer and was sweating like crazy. I can see why you would not wear them for skiing, except when you rest etc.

Judy, did you get a lot of snow? Yesterday it was snowing like crazy, then it turned into sleet, freezing rain, now its snowing again.

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

Deb, I ordered thru amazon. REI only had boots in large sizes. its a unisex boot. small sizes would be for women, but they didn't have any. not sure if they ever did. I'd prefer to order them from REI but could not.

yes, exactly what you don't want skiing is sweating heavily. layers next to your skin get wet and you will get cold easily. wool or synthetics next to the skin are much better than cotton, but best not to sweat so much. we usually start skiing (or riding or hiking) with barely enough on to be comfortable. we warm up quickly and don't want to sweat a lot. there is a science to doing it right. if we are skiing miles away from the car, we don't have the option to jump inside a vehicle or house to warm up, so best not to get wet. rain, snow, or sweat, its the wetness that leads to hypothermia.
hope you get some help from your urologist. you don't want to end up with c. diff again from all the antibiotics.

Hi Everyone,

Friday I did 40 minutes of Peloton rides in the morning and RWH Back, Biceps & Shoulders Timesaver Premix in the afternoon. I finished with the new bonus chair stretch from Step Boss. Yesterday I did a 20 minute Peloton ride in the evening, unusual time for me, but I wanted to get something in. Today I did RWH Legs, Strength only premix and Chest, Shoulders & Triceps, 1 Set only Premix. Total time for both of those was 48 minutes.

Deb-We did get a lot of snow, 8-9 inches. It started snowing late Friday night, into Saturday morning. We also had some freezing rain. It got very cold again last night and snowed a little more today.
I hope your urologist can offer some help. I'm sorry this keeps happening.

Valerie-Smart wool really helps for when I have to work outside in this kind of weather. I have a base layer shirt that I wear under a t shirt. It's so thin but it really keeps me warm.

Carolyn-Nice job with the yoga practice this morning.

Hi to Diane Sue and Lori,

Judy

Judy I have been doing the whole Pedal power ride. for a long time I did a premix but the last couple times I did the whole thing. today, I did the whole ride again. I started my timer before the disk started so got about 55 min all together. I will never get to those really long rides you do. I'm pleased with my progress. I wish I had the option of smartwool... it sounds like it works and it' a natural fiber, not a petroleum product but I'm like diane sue, I itch. …. so I stay with polypro synthetics. I like Patagonia the best. I have a lot of their shirts collected over years but they never wear out and are so worth the money they cost. they should fit close to the skin so they wick away moisture. bummer on the freezing rain and snow. what a delightful combination.!

my ski boots came today and I guessed right, they fit. cant wait to try them.

Today I did IMAX 4, combos 1-5 for 27 minutes and 204 calories burned. Average heart rate was 131 and maximum heart rate was 153. After that I did Step Boss Bonus Abs 2 (uses the step) and the Bonus Chair Stretch. My total time was 52 minutes.

Judy, great job on the Peloton rides and RWH strength workouts. That chair stretch is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

Hello to Deb, Valerie, Diane Sue, and Lori. Have a wonderful day.

Valerie-That's great that you did all of Pedal Power! That's not easy! I was surprised that the smartwool didn't make me itch, as I have a couple of regular wool sweaters that do.

Carolyn-Great job with IMAX4! So far the bonus stretches are what I've done the most from Step Boss. I need to work on the intermediate step bonus soon.

It has been a busy long weekend. Saturday I did Raw 5 day strength day 4 Total Body, 29 minutes, heart rate 124 average, 151 max, 125 calories, 2,512 steps. I also did Jessica Smith Gentle Yoga neck and shoulder flow, 62 calories, heart rate average 115 , 134 max, 19 minutes. Total time 48 minutes, 187 calories, 33 steps.
Sunday was a rest day with family and we celebrated 3 birthdays.
This morning I did Raw Box and Pump 3, 58 minutes, 276 calories, heart rate average 129, max 165, 4083 steps. I then did Raw abs finisher 19 minutes, 68 calories, 459 steps, heart rate 118 average, max 152. I finished with Step Boss extended lying stretch 10 minutes, 30 calories.
Total time was 87 minutes, 374 calories, 4,542 steps.
Step Pump 3 boxing with lower body strength segments. I used 1# dumbbells for the boxing Kelly says no more than 3#
boxing
squats 35# barbell
squats with 12# dbs
plies holding 10# dbs together and raising heels
boxing
barbell deadlift 35#
reverse lunge 12# dumbbells
good morning holding 10# dbs on shoulders
boxing
barbell front lunge 35#
bulgarian split squat (Kelly uses a bench) I did it on the floor I upped the weight from Kelly's 12's so did 15's which I think I could have done for the medium weight throughout
curtsy lunge kelly 10's I used 12's
boxing
side to side step with loop band
squat side to side with loop band
kick leg back with loop band alternating legs
boxing
side lying clam shell with loop band
lying on back hip lifts open knees with loop band
stretch

Deb, I am so sorry that you are having another uti. I hope those antibiotics work quickly. That is nice that your neighbor came and used the snow blower for you. No, my cholesterol is not really high. My blood pressure has been up a couple of times in the doctors office. Borderline of being too high. The heart doctor did not even address or check that. Just the tests and said that anything over a 100 on the score for the heart CT and the AHA says you should have a statin drug. Mine was 137 on the score. I just do not know about taking a statin. I have been researching. Also reading how the studies are deceitful when they use round about ways of making it sound like statins are so wonderfully effective. They block vitamin K that is good for the arteries, they block glutathione which I need for my joints, there is just so many things that I worry about taking them. Those so many steps an hour notifications annoy me quite often. One in awhile I will get up and walk around, but mostly it just irritates me. My daughter got an apple watch and it tells her to stand up when she is already standing. She says she was at her standing desk between patients and it told her to stand up.

Carolyn, I really like the Jane Adams morning energy yoga. It is a nice gentle pace that loosens things up, but not a tough yoga workout. I guess I need to go back and read last weeks posts at the end of the week. The Step Boss Chair stretch has grown on me. When I first did it I did not have a chair and was scrambling for something to use as the back of the chair. I ended up with my vanity stool and my fit tower placed just so to do it. There was no chair upstairs. I like some of the different ways of stretching.

Valerie, I see there would be a science behind the layering and not wanting to sweat or get wet. I would never have thought about planning it out. I have done the extreme pedal power mix that did all of it and repeated some of it before. I was exhausted by the time I was done :) Nice that you are doing all of it.

Judy, nice job on the workouts. Snow and freezing rain sounds miserable to me. My daughter was hoping for some snow so that it would feel like winter :) That is interesting that Smart Wool didn't make you itch. I sometimes find acrylic itches. I have a couple of sweaters that are wool with some nylon in them. They still itch even with a shirt on under them, but not as bad as pure wool. I remember my mother buying me a virgin wool sweater in England and it feeling like I got into the stinging nettles when I wore it.

oh this is too funny... I have a gorgeous cabled hand knit wool sweater I bought in 1972 (or so) in Ireland. I have had it all these years but never wore it. it is too itchy! I know merino is less itchy than older wool, but next to my skin on my whole upper body, no way. lots of experience has shown me the best fabrics for me, and if there is question, I carry a back up shirt to change into. my favorite winter Patagonia shirts are too warm if temps go up.

diane sue I had it suggested I take statins too. my values are very normal. after you pass 70 yo, doctors are being pushed to recommend you take statins on basis of age alone. I do NOT know all your health history facts ( I don't want to) but be aware. maybe your numbers warrant looking at statins? my DH has pretty bad levels, but he cant take statins even very minimal amounts. usually lab numbers plus family history, plus now just being of a certain age seems to start the push for meds. I don't think any drug is risk free, I am not taking statins. just so my doc can check off a box. my chol is under 200, and my hdl is 75. LDL and Trig are low too. My DH thinks anyone suggesting I take statins is not thinking. from what I read, red yeast rice works much like statins and can have the same side effects but its not so easy to regulate plant based products. OTOH loads of people take statins without any problem at all. If my numbers warranted it, I would take them.

Deb hope you are feeling better.

we got a new heat pump installed yesterday. took all day. no workout since they were working in the basement all day. it should be the last time we need to deal with anything like this. heating and cooling should be taken care of.

Last edited:
I did not work out today. I had an early dental appointment and I would have needed to get up earlier for my workout. I didn’t want to do that today.

Valerie, that’s great that your new heat pump is installed. No one wants to worry about the heat going out.

Diane Sue, I understand your resistance to taking statins. You and your physician will need to decide if the benefits outweigh the risks.

Hello to Deb, Judy, and Lori.

This morning I did Step Boss I Max 4 mish mosh mix double blast after every combo which was 61 minutes, 343 calories, heart rate average 138, max 201 ?? I saw that and then it went down to 152 and sometimes it was 129 during the blasts or showed no heart for awhile, 5,731 steps, met 6.5. I was kind of dreading the double blasts, but it was not difficult at all. I think something is up with the Fitbit. I had to restart my phone again this morning to get my sleep times which were awful. Minutes in the rem and deep sleep portion. I coughed a lot. I finished with Jessica Smith Gentle Yoga Total Body, 22 minutes, heart rate average 107, max 129, 52 steps Total time was 83 minutes, 3. I think I chose wisely today as first my computer would not load google chrome and then the internet went out. By the way that workout yesterday was Box & Pump not step and pump
:rolleyes:

Valerie, I just always remember playing around in the woods and coming into contact with stinging nettle. It so reminds me of the feel of that crazy sweater. The problem was my mom was so pleased with buying those sweaters from some special place. Then I did not want to put it on. It does seem like they start pushing stuff like the Statins for people as they age. It seemed like as soon as I was 67 they decided to have me go through tests and want to give me medications. I have always been pretty healthy so it is somewhat frustrating and hard to believe. It will be nice for you to have the security of knowing your heat is not going to go out on you.

I have this argument for and against the statin. As far as the plant based he told me that people seem to have less side effects with it. I am going to go back over my patient portal because I am pretty sure nothing has been said about my cholesterol being high. The only reasoning behind the whole thing is family history and then the fact that some plaque showed in an artery during the heart CT. Now, the plaque is the only thing I am worried about since I generally do not eat a high cholesterol diet. I am cutting other fats at this point. I don't want it to worsen, but I am wondering about it. Can they tell if it is soft plaque that is not yet hardened or just hard plaque in those tests? I am still researching and I think they are going to test me again for that nodule in 6 months at the heart hospital (different doctor since he is a pulmonologist). I am wondering if it may show less plaque? Maybe I can wait a bit.

Carolyn, I do not usually feel like getting up extra early for a workout when I have appointments. I always make them early when I have to drive further though just to get in and out before traffic and the offices are packed.

I got in a 35 min pedal power spin, then body weight and bands premix of floor work, pyramid pump, and then abs 2. it was a nice combo of work.

stinging nettle is the basic ground cover here. it grows everywhere! it gets 5-6 feet tall easily, and then it droops over. hiking after rain when its slumping low is real tough, need to put on pants!. stings and then it itches after. hateful stuff. you can cook and eat it, it believe it or not.

you could always try the statins at a minimal dosage and see if its bothersome to you. if you don't feel well on statins, then you wont take them anyway, so case closed. I've always eaten a fairly low fat diet and loads of fruit and vegies. I eat lots of whole grain too. it works for me but probably would not for everyone. DH eats the same thing ( he eats more way sweets) and his blood lipids are pretty terrible... so there goes the theory of diet fixing things. my diet is more mediterranean than anything.

This morning I did JS Pyramid Power Walk, which was 30 minutes and 206 calories burned. My average heart rate was 127 and maximum heart rate was 155.

Hello to everyone and have a great day.

I started with Coffey Fit Raw Power Up which I am glad there was no overhead presses in. This was 50 minutes with interruptions, heart rate average 118, max 150, 181 calories, 1,080 steps. I finished with Raw day 5 of the 5 day strength which is a stretch with foam rolling, 40 minutes with interruptions, heart rate average 96, max 133, 79 steps, 64 calories. Total time was 90 minutes, 245 calories, 1,159 steps. Lots of texts and phone calls throughout. The workout should have been 10 minutes less, but considering how many times I had to stop that is not too bad.

Coffeyfit Raw Power Up

5 rounds and active rests which are Kettlebell swings or other activity

44:18 length Kelly uses around 32# barbell and 20# Kettlebell
First time I used 30# barbell and 20# kettlebell

Rnd 1 high pull 10 reps, hang pull 10 reps, clean from the hip 10 reps, bench squat 10 reps then quicker pace 10 reps, clean from the hip 10 reps, power clean from the floor 10 reps

25 kettlebell swings

Rnd 2 high pull 10 reps, hang pull 10 reps, clean from the hip 10 reps, bench squat 10 and 10 reps, power clean from the floor 10 reps

Kettlebell swings alternating 26 reps

Rnd 3 high pull 10 reps, hang pull 10 reps, clean from the hip 10 reps, bench squat 10 and 10 reps, power clean from the floor 10 reps

Kettlebell figure 8’s 26 reps (Kelly gives the option of stopping here at 23 minutes)

Rnd 4 Kelly takes out all high pulls

Clean from the hips 10 reps, squat 10 and 10 reps then squat sit and knee pulls 10 reps, then 20 squats sitting on the bench and up, power cleans 10 reps

Kettlebell swings alternating 26 reps

Rnd 5 Clean from the hip 10 reps, squat and sit 20 reps with knee pulls, 20 squats quick paced, power clean 10 reps

Kettlebell figure 8’s 26 reps

At 35 minutes abs

Sit ups feet under bar, sit ups with kettlebell 20#, reverse crunch feet over barbell, obliques waistline alternating side crunches, knee up

Repeat for second set

Stretch at 42 minutes

Valerie, I have purchased a supplement to help allergies that had stinging nettle in it. Nothing helps my allergies that I have noticed. Not without ugly side effects. Sugar, salt, and caffeine are also bad for cholesterol. I have thought about trying it and if I don't like it put it in the cupboard and leave it there. I have to see what drug tier it is. I just got done dealing with my insurance this morning on the generic paquinel. With the new deductible added for that tier it was over 474 dollars. I told them I would get it later. They used their discount card and I got it for very little without using my insurance. I am not sure where this statin is at the other pharmacy. Hopefully it is a lower tier and I don't have to pay that deductible. That was a lot of my time used up during workout this morning. Just dealing with that. July I am getting another heart CT for the pulmonologist so I should be able to see if anything is worse.

Carolyn, nice work on the Jessica Smith Pyramids.

I did revd up rumble and the abs #1. still working on those sit outs, but doing something that resembles them.
I didn't like the nettle that much, it was ok , like taking revenge on a plant you don't like to begin with. its hard to pick. ended up a little like cooked spinach. Ok, but not a repeater for me. we could harvest purslane too, but I hate that weed so much I cant bring myself to try and eat it.

diane sue, I didn't have medicare drug coverage until this year, and have not used it yet. DH tries to get his regular meds on the 3 month mail order program. it was cheaper and its nice to get a big supply at once to avoid monthly trips to rx. sometimes things are cheaper without using insurance so check for that too. I know, makes no sense, but sometimes it happens.

we are getting rained on all day every day. this time of year I'd like to be somewhere else.

Deb let us know how you are doing.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.