Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 1/13

Good evening ladies!

Today I did cardio party because I love this workout! Finished with the bands calorie crush. I love this fire walker crush workout too. Then did pump chest. I felt completely worked after this. :)

Chicken came out perfect - we were blown away how good it was. My husband said...ok I liked the instant pot but now love it. The frozen chicken was that good!!! I am going to try a frozen turkey next. I had watched this video prior to buying a chicken and removed all the plastic and giblets beforehand. The video was not perfect - was just to show how quickly it would cook a frozen chicken I am so careful about cross contamination. I watch some videos and sometimes cringe at what they are doing or I should say not doing!

Deb...thanks for the link. I will check it out over the weekend. How did you like cardio party? Puppies grow so quickly!!

Valerie...we do not broil at the end, do not feel the need too. Some like the skin crispier. We do not eat the skin so there it is.

Carolyn...can’t wait to try the stacked workouts. Same here...I like white meat, my husband likes dark. So whole chickens work well for us too. I have not done the band workout yet. Will try this one out on saturday.

Diane Sue..was looking at Raw Glute finisher and going too do this in the morning. Nice and short and gets it done.

Judy...I actually feel great today. Glad the cold pass by quickly. Looking forward the the band workout. So far I have enjoyed Cathe’s band workouts. The live one I have done a few times while traveling.

we had a long lunch with some friends today, and the day got totaled. did some shopping and it was time to make dinner. I got in Xtrain chest, back, shoulders, a premix and the ab workout. did not have enough time to look at a new workout, just ripped thru that one in 40 min.
Lori congrats on a successful chicken experiment. I don't eat chicken skin either. please keep reporting on your successes with the instant pot. You can fit a turkey into an instant pot???? the ones I've seen didn't look that big. tomorrow looks less frantic so maybe I can review the new series.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday. I have my annual physical this morning.

Judy, those workouts sound great. I am happy that there is another band workout that can be used for travel. Also liked the Stacked Upper Body a lot. It has some really good new moves. I felt it the next day, even going pretty light with the weights.

Diane Sue, How is your hip/back today? I don't think I have even watched the clip of the band workout. As for the hip movements, cross back lunges are a number 1 No-no" for my hip. Any move that has my leg going at an angle really hurts my hip. I agree, why is it bad to smile if you are a participant on a DVD? Would it be better if they were all frowning and looking miserable?

Lori, Good job on your workout combos! Glad your cold was short lived. I really like Cardio Party, even the boxing segments :) The Cardio Crush with the bands sounds great. I hope I can do that once my hip is better. The pushing out moves with the firewalkers are probably not a good thing right now. Nice that you enjoyed that chicken. A turkey would be awesome!

Hi to Carolyn & Valerie,

Take care,

I was under the impression that people in videos all wear make up to some degree. the harsh bright lighting is rough on appearance, and washes out everything. I like to see normal expressions on peoples faces. I like to see a little sweat. makes them seem human rather than automatons. one reason I got this series was
for a band workout. I never bought travelfit. we are going to go mt bike for a bit before rain starts up again.

I would like to try stacked upper body. I ripped thru X train yesterday and used lighter weights, and a premix. felt the need to do something, but didn't want to rush heavier weights. cathe really goes heavy on some of those moves. so I made it into a speed workout, did some extra reps but after the one arm rows using 25 lbs, I went light.

This morning I did Stacked Sets Lower Body for 44 minutes and 270 calories burned. My average heart rate was 124 and maximum heart rate was 154. I really like both of the Stacked Sets, both Upper and Lower Body. I used Cathe’s weights on this and that was right for me today. Some of the moves were slightly different which required some concentration on my part.

Deb, I hope your physical went well. I had a doctors appointment too this morning, but it wasn’t a physical. The Stacked Sets Lower Body has some cross back lunges in combination with side or rear lunges. It would be easy to just do the rear lunges and not the cross backs.

Lori, great job with Cardio Party the Bands Calorie Crush, and Pyramid Pump Chest. I’m glad that your chicken recipe was a success. I was thinking the same as what you said—the woman on the video was probably more focused on the cooking process. I wouldn’t bother to broil it at the end either.

Judy, I haven’t had a chance to look at Body Weight and Bands, but I’m sure that I will like it. Six Pack Abs was good but a couple of exercises were difficult for me. I like that the workouts are shorter, which makes them more doable.

Valerie, it was good to take time for lunch with your friends. There are so many options with this series that you can make your workouts longer or shorter to fit your needs.

Enjoy the afternoon everyone.

This morning I wanted to make up for some of the weight workouts I skipped this week while playing with what I have of the Lite series. I started with Raw Back side Front side, 57 minutes, heart rate average 102, max 133, 1,282 steps, 252 calories, met 4.0. I then did Lite Cardio Party cardio crush, 15 minutes, met 6.2, 109 calories, heart rate average 143, max 159, 1,477 steps. This has 4 step cardio segments that repeat like I max with 4 blasts. Two of those blasts contain jumping on and off the step multiple times. I finished off with Kelly Coffey Body Design yoga flow 14 minutes, met 2.5, 39 calories, heart rate average 100, max 122. Total time was 86 minutes, 387 calories, 2,805 steps.
Back Side Front Side 10 reps per exercise each body part is done 2 times
back side
Back
reverse fly 15# dbs
alternating step back row 15# dbs
RBSS 15# dbs Bulgarian Split Squat
Repeat no rest
Triceps
one arm kickbacks 12# db
standing cross body triceps extension 12# db
suit case deadlifts 25# dbs
Legs
plie squats (second set has pulses) 25# db
calf raises 25# dbs 10,10,10 reps toes straight, toes in, toes out
Low back (bench)
supermans
frog legs
Low back
good mornings 15# db
plank wipers
Front side
arnold press 15# dbs
dumbbell front raise 15# db
Chest
chest flies 15# dbs
dumbbell press 20# dbs
quad presses 3# ankle weights seated on bench varying angles more reps
Biceps
21's 15# dbs
supinated curls 15# dbs
side lunges 15# db first set 15# dbs 2nd set
Abs
pulse crunch
reverse curls
supinated curls 15# dbs

Last edited:
Lori, I think that I am going to enjoy using Cardio Party, maybe as additions to mixing up cardio workouts.That is great that the chicken came out well. I was thinking that I would not have browned outside the Instant Pot. I don't eat the skin either. It is rather pointless. I made a pork tenderloin in mine last night. It turned out well and I sort of combined my old favorite Cooking Light recipe with an Instant Pot recipe. I used fresh orange juice instead of the pineapple as I knew my husband would not like it and low sodium tamari instead of the coconut aminos as it has a stronger flavor and the original recipe I use has soy sauce in it. The glute finisher is a good one. I tacked it on to the Lite Pyramid Upper body workout for a full body workout on Monday.

Deb, those cross back lunges were hard for me after the torn miniscus. It really hurt and pulled on the knee. I got where I could do them again, but they can be troubling for the hips as well as some of the firewalker band work that goes laterally and hits hard right in that area. I try not to over do those things. The hip/glute is fine today or I would have just did and upper body workout or maybe just front side of the one I did.

Valerie, I am pretty sure that they all wear some makeup and that is fine with me. Shoot, I put on lipstick and blush, just so I don't catch a glimpse of myself looking at my worst. Besides, my husband has to look at me when he gets up LOL I would rather they smile and make the workouts look fun. Kelly can look pretty worked in some of her raw workouts, but I am sure she wears some make up and she wears some cute fitness clothing. I like her in these and she is not afraid to point out her errors or crack a few jokes. I think instructors still have to sell and if they just came out looking like many of us do when we workout, like crawling out of bed at 5 am and doing a workout as is, even some sleeping in their workout clothes, it would not be as much of a draw to want to work out with them. I relate as I used to get up at 4:30 so I could shower before daycare children arrived. I think the Lite workouts would be easier to get started on if there was a guide book ready at the start so one had an idea of what they are going to be doing. I checked the chapters on the Pyramids and wrote down the moves ahead of time before I did the workouts.

Agree with you..... the DVD / workout is a product they are selling. who would want to look like something the cat dragged in? co ordinated outfits, nice background, and instructors who look proficient and professional will help appeal to all of us. .
I usually do workouts with some of my face on, my hair combed, wearing decent workout clothes. I expect most live classes are looking their "casual best". hair out of way, dressed functionally, whatever make up works under bright lights. If I were being captured on DVD for anyone to watch time after time, I would do the same. use whatever make up "works" for filming. who would want to be captured forever looking as bad as they could possibly look? I need to wash my face, put in my contacts, pony tail my hair.

we rode a new section of the mountain bike area this morning. thought it would be raining but it wasn't, so we rode 2 hrs 30 min. a lot of elevation gain. about 7 miles. stops to mark out way so we didn't get lost coming back. turned out nice to ride, with the hills manageable but not easy. there are trails mixed in there too.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday. A big storm headed our way. The whole eastern seaboard is on a storm warning.

Valerie, agree, they have to have some makeup or they would all look washed out. I even read that they use some tanning stuff. I think you will like Stacked Upper Body. Yes, the people in the LIVE classes look nice, not overly made up like they are expecting to be on camera, but nice workout clothes, hair usually in pony tails or head bands.

Carolyn, Hope all went well with your appointment. yes, all was good with the physical. My cholesterol total number went up ( due to gaining weight) but still, with the HDL so high, my Dr does not feel I need any meds for it. Thanks for the info on Stacked Lower body. I will have to sub something else for any cross moves.

Diane Sue, the pork roast sounds delicious. One of my favorite meats. I love broiled pork chops with applesauce. ( unsweetened of course!)..LOL Glad your hip/glute is ok.

Judy, are you expecting a lot of snow this weekend?

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did Stacked Sets Lower Body with the extended stretch. I loved it! I used the same weights as Cathe and they felt pretty good for this workout. I love both of the Stacked Sets and can see doing them regularly.

Deb-Yes, it's been snowing since early this morning and they are forecasting 4-8 inches. Chris needs to go to Menards so I guess we will see how the roads are this morning. Hopefully not too bad yet. I'm glad your physical was good.

Valerie-I agree about looking good for the workout videos. They have to wear some makeup and have coordinated outfits so it looks professional. I always wear good workout clothes and try to look my best when I workout, even though I am by myself at home.

Carolyn-It looks like we did the same workout yesterday. I agree about there being some different moves. I really had to concentrate on what I was doing to get them right. I hope your doctor appointment went well.

Diane Sue-Great job with the Raw workouts! I need to add some of those back into my routine. I think they would work well with the LITE workouts.

Lori-I hope you are doing ok with the weather. You and Deb are going to get the worst of this winter storm.

Have a good weekend!

Judy

I don't like overly made up loos in videos. someone working out should not resemble a beauty pageant. do you guys remember Gilead? he always had a few overly made up women working out behind him. way overkill to me. I didn't like him either! Cathe and crew always look appropriate.

Hope you all do OK with the storm. it dumped on California but was south of us so we didn't get any of it. hopefully I can take a look at the new workouts this morning.

This morning I did Rev’d Up Rumble + Abs #1 for 51 minutes and 366 calories burned. My average heart rate was 130 and maximum heart rate was 153. I am following the rotation from the January calendar page, but I am a couple of days behind. The rotation helps me see how Cathe uses the workouts together.

My doctors appointment was a routine blood pressure follow up. I was annoyed when they required me to come in because I didn’t think it was time for my visit. I asked my doctor about it and he didn’t know why his assistant had me come in. Anyway, I’m back on the correct schedule now.

Deb, I’ve been watching the weather reports about the approaching storm. Stay safe and warm.

Judy, I felt the same way about the Stacked Sets, I really enjoyed the workouts. I am looking forward to the rotations from the User Guide that combines this series with some others.

Diane Sue, great job with Raw Back Side Front Side and Cardio Party Calorie Crush. I considered doing the Rev’d Up Rumble Calorie Crush today, but I wanted to try Six Pack Abs 1.

Valerie, I will be curious to hear your thoughts on the new workouts.

Hello to Lori.

just did stacked upper body and Abs #2. I liked both. I have liked superset approaches and this one clips right along. I mostly used Cathes weight. some things felt a little easy while others a little hard. I have strong triceps. overhead presses and side raises...not so much. the speed it moves, I can't see how you could go very heavy. I especially liked the triceps push ups holding the sides of the step. that really helps get the position right... I still flare a little but it helps.
the music was NOT overwhelming like it was on some of the last series. Ive only played one disk but it was present but not overbearing. so two thumbs up so far!

Good evening ladies,

Yesterday was a couple of San Fran bounces, both concentrated on arms. Today was Live Kick, Box and Bag. I loved this workout. Had a lot of the lite moves. At the end she refers that it was a teaser for the Rumble Lite workout.

We are going to get slammed with snow tonight and into tomorrow. We have been preparing yesterday and today and are ready. Bring it on!!!

I do not mind a little makeup. Like Diane Sue said I too don’t want to workout with the instructor looking like they just rolled out of bed! I love the workout attire cathe and clan have been wearing.

Valerie...I miss spoke. Going to try a frozen turkey breast in the instant pot. Will be cooking tonight so will report back tomorrow! I am looking forward to the Stacked workouts. Was going to do it today but could not resist the new Live workout. So far I have liked the music on the workouts I have done. Love the cardio party music. Motivates me! Nice ride yesterday.

Caroyln...looking at the rotations I may do the Lite/Ice rotation. Or the one with Storng and Sweaty. Still undecided. When I wake up Monday morning that is when I will decide. That stinks about your visit. I would have been annoyed too.

Judy...how much snow are you getting? We are hoping we do not lose power. On Thursday I was off and we lost power for 3 hours for no reason that I could find. I started a fire and was comfy. So glad we have a fireplace.

Deb...How much snow are you expected to receive? I agree with the live workouts. All look great. Must because they know they are being filmed! Yes wait on the Firewalker crush workout. This will absolutely be terrible for your healing.

Diane Sue. The pork loin sounds delicious. Will need to look for recipes. I have’t done the cardio party cush yet. I will though tomorrow. Also plan to do KCM’s glute finisher. Love the looks of this one.

Have a great evening all!!! Hoping the storm is uneventful. But thinking it will be plenty eventful. :(

Okay, a turkey breast is easy to imagine. yes, report back on how it works.

so I downloaded the user guide. I can't get anything to print. I can read it fine. goes thru all the steps and then doesn't print. printer chimes and nothing happens. other things print fine, so not the printer. I hope I'm not doing something stupid! If any of you plan on printing the workout cards , tell me if you are able to do it. Thanks.

I had my grandson overnight and this morning I did a short workout, Coffey Fit Raw Intervals 3, 27 minutes, 174 calories, heart rate 124 average, 152 max, 1,819 steps. I did not want to spend time while he was awake working out and needed to get started on birthday cakes for tomorrow. I like this interval workout the cardio step moves hit lower and then there is a really light quick paced upper move followed by a heavier slower pattern of the same type of move. I used 5# and 10#. Kelly uses 3# and 10#.

Deb, we have below freezing temps today. It rained a little yesterday, but nothing serious and I think it will warm up next week again. One of my Whole 30 recipes had pork with a apple and cinnamon sauce that was really good on it. No sugar ;)

Judy, I just looked at the moves in the users guide for the Stacked workouts and they do look pretty good.

Valerie, I put the the User Guide in my downloads on my lap top and print from there. I also put them in Google Drive on my tablet and print from there when I want a work sheet or something. It also makes it easy to look over the premixes with it on my tablet without looking at my folder. I just printed up the pages for the two workouts that I have.

Carolyn, I would like to be able to try abs 2. I like the abs 1. It seems everyone pretty much likes the stacked workouts. I will get them eventually. I looked over the moves today.

Lori, I will enjoy hearing how the turkey breast in the Instant Pot went. I liked the glute finisher and it is definitely a stand alone workout as well as a finisher. I found the Cardio Party Crush workout a bit more doable the second time. Maybe because I knew the moves a bit. The jumping on and off the step was the first blast and then the last blast, so there was a bit of a break between the two.

Diane Sue- That's what I did, I downloaded the User Guide first then printed it. That's a good idea to put it on your tablet too.

Yep, I downloaded it twice. both are listed but when I open and try to print them, it doesn't. I wanted to print the worksheets since I don't use rotations. so I tried putting in page range, and then single page. no response. I got Dh to look, thinking I must be doing something obviously stupid but he could not either. I'll delete the two copies, and try again sometime tomorrow. I also will pull the plug on my printer and have it reset. we printed some other document after all this and it printed without a fuss. I had a print issue a few weeks ago and unplugging and re-plugging fixed it. that was after a power out.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.