Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 1/13

Good morning. Hope the match goes well Deb.

we did a road ride yesterday 25 miles. it was sunny and spring like by the time we finished, but pretty cold to start. clear skies make for colder nights. No frost on the trail so we went anyway. got busy before we finished but we were alone to start with.
ETA diane sue I'm trying the Maui black bean soup you posted a while ago. I have several versions of black bean soup.

Last edited:
Good afternoon ladies,

This morning was Cardio Party. What a fun workout. I really enjoyed it. No time to try out any of the pump bonuses needed to run some errands and be home before the Pats game at 1pm.

Valerie...good you got out before it got too busy. How are the new bikes?

Diane Sue...the soup sounds delicious! I just started buying coconut milk. Had seen from a blogger that Trader Joe’s was really good. Comes in a can which I did not expect. Not sure what I am going to do with it. I’ll fine something. I love the instanr pot has a saute button and I use it frequently. The metabolic workout has a combination of new and old moves. Or perhaps more like used differently. There is one move I need to modify. I think she has done this before. Where you lift your knee and take weight in one hand, pass weight under your lifted knee and grab weight with other hand. My arms are short and I just can’t do this! Every top I buy, the arms are always way long. It is what it is. But that move was just very sloppy for me. So rather let my HR come down I do a similar but no passing the weight.

Deb...I love love love my instant pot. My son had it on his xmas list so we bought him one too!

Have a great afternoon all. Hi to Judy and Carolyn! Going to finish watching the game.

Today is my rest day, but I did try the Lite Bonus 6 pack abs. I liked it since it is similar moves to some in the MMA Shock cardio series, but a bit easier version. The up and over punch down kind of bothers my neck. I have done it in the past though, I just noticed my neck was uncomfortable. I am trying to figure out how I want to work my rotation next week. Part of me wants to go on to week 3 of Kellys strength raw rotation, except tomorrows workout would be the same one I made up for a mistake on and did Friday. But, I want to try the Pyramids from Lite. So maybe I will work some of both in. Also, Kelly just put up her new legs and glutes finisher raw workout and next weekend she is putting up the new heavy bag workout. I have lots of new choices this week :) Tuesday is going to have to be short because I have the ladies game day I will be going to and they have reserved a room in a coffee shop for 3 hours starting at 9 a.m.. Last month I just did a quick cardio day before going. I purchased a new Ancient Nutrition Multi Collagen formula that just came out on Amazon. It is not available yet on Dr Axe site. It is berry flavored and called rest and recovery. It contains some of the extras I usually take on the side. 5 types of collagen, with ACV, magnesium Hydroxide, tart cherry fruit extract, L-Alanyl-L-glutamine, ashwagandha root and leaf extract, Organic Beet Root extract. It looks like a great formula. It was only available in a 20 serving size for 26.95. I think maybe I should have ordered two. If it is like the sleep formula, once it got started they ran out quickly, but I wanted to try it first. I was running out of my regular multi collagen and saw this one.

Debbie, enjoy the match at the dog club. Thank you for always getting us started :)

Valerie, that Maui Black Bean soup is yummy. I have thought of making that for one of the pots with our family gathering. I am doing Chili next weekend and I made regular and one that was a white chicken chili. I like having left overs of something that I will eat :)

Lori, I love all the things I can do with my Instant Pot and clean up is not difficult either. One of the Instant Pot Cookbooks that I got on Kindle has been consistent for excellent recipes so far. It is I Love My Instant Pot Keto. There is a whole group of I Love My Instant Pot Cookbooks. I should try some others. I do make some substitutions to change up some of the fats and try to not use much in the way of cheese. I buy Sprouts Canned Organic Coconut Milk and Coconut cream. I use it often. I open the can and put in a jar so I can mix the cream that solidifies on top into the liquid. I can shake it up that way. Summer months it is not so bad, but I guess it is cold in my cabinets during winter months. You can substitute it for cream and milk in recipes. When I make my chicken pot pie soup I use coconut milk instead of cream. The canned coconut milk has less fat than cream does. I put it in coffee at times. Of course it is better to just drink it black. I like moves where you are forced to balance, even though it is a bit uncomfortable. It is just something good to work on. As far as reaching, I think my arms must be long even though I have a short torso, as I often have had sleeves that are too short. I tend toward knits because most things I buy that are not stretchy, end up being very tight across my shoulders and back. Probably because of all of the weight training. Maybe you could do the side to side lunge pass through with the weight. I don't know how fast she is doing it though.

Last edited:
Hi Ladies,
Today is my rest day. I love reading the various reviews of the new LITE workouts. I should get mine tomorrow and can preview and plan.

Lori, it’s great that you are enjoying your Instant Pot. It seems like a very useful appliance to have. When I open a can of coconut milk I like to mix it up as Diane Sue described, then I pour the leftovers into an ice cube tray to freeze. Once it’s frozen I can put it in a ziplock storage bags and just take out what I need each time. Most recipes that I make only use a part of the can and I had too much leftover.

Enjoy your afternoon everyone.

I do the same with coconut milk... mix, pour into containers and freeze extra. I use it when in a recipe but I don't like it very much except in spicy curries. that doesn't happen often with DH. The black bean soup was very good. easy too.

I did xtrain Bi's and Tri's today, about 45 min. we are hiking or snow shoeing tomorrow.

Lori we are good with the bikes. DH has a bunch of cushy features. My bike is a standard hardtail, no suspension, with slightly bigger tires. I will have to ride it a while before I know if the slightly harder uphill energy needed is balanced by the better traction. it doesn't skid as much, grabs better in gravel and mud, . but its harder a little harder to go uphill because there is more tire in contact with the road. I can switch to smaller tires if the cost/benefit thing doesn't work out.

Last edited:
Good morning,

The day got away from me yesterday, after 3 hours at the match, then errands, etc I never got back to post. I did get almost 11.000 steps in though. :). I got my new DVD's Saturday, but have not opened them yet.

Valerie, sounds like you had a good ride. :)

Lori, saw that your Pats won yesterday! :). Same suggestions that Diane Sue and Carolyn had.... on the coconut milk; when you open a can, stir well as the cream is always on the top, then separate and freeze into smaller amounts. I like Carolyn's ice cube tray idea. This of course is unless you have a recipe that is going to use the whole can. I found that I was opening, using a small amount, then having to toss the rest, as it got old in the refrigerator.

Diane Sue, let me know how you like that new collagen, flavor wise. It does sound like a good formula. Between you and Lori, I am getting more interested in the Instant Pot.

Carolyn, great idea on the ice cube trays! I guess each is about a quarter of a cup? are you almost ready to buy an Instant Pot?

Hi to Judy,

Take care,

I usually use small plastic coontainers with lids for coconut milk. I often have half a can of coconut milk left. Might take a year to use it as I don’t like it much.
I squeeze a whole Costco bag of limes at once with a cuisinart attachment. I make cubes, transfer cubes into a freezer bag. I zest a few into a small bag and keep with the juice so it isn’t lost in the freezer. The cubes cut in half easily so I have one or two tablespoons of fresh juice handy. Seemed i never had lime juice when I needed it. This works really well. I do same thing with left over red wine ....cubes. I don’t have to open a bottle for a tablespoon or two.

This morning I did To The Max for 58 minutes and 384 calories burned. Average heart rate was 128 and maximum heart rate was 179. This workout reminds me of a much shorter version of Body Max 2.

Deb, that’s a lot of steps yesterday! Great job. I have no plans to buy an Instant Pot since I already have other appliances that do the same things.

Hello to all and have a wonderful day.

This morning I did Lite Cardio Party Timesaver Cardio Crush which is an interval step workout, 29 minutes, met 6.0 185 calories, heart rate average 120, max 142 (this seemed off, but I guess the cardio is short) 2,540 steps. I then did Lite Pyramid Upper, 50 minutes(45 actual) heart rate average 97, max 129, met 3.5 194 calories, 1003 steps. I then did Coffey Fit Raw Legs and Glutes finisher that she just added, 20 minutes, met 4.5, 99 calories, 566 steps, heart rate average 101, max 121. I finished off with Lite extended stretch #1, 13 minutes, met 2.3, 33 calories. Total time was 1 hour 52 minutes, 510 calories. I had to run to the insurance office for the car and hit two stores before I went to pick up my granddaughter. It has been a busy day.
Weights for the Pyramid Upper time saver premix
Each body part is a super set of two moves done up and down the pyramid for 5 sets (they go pretty light on these and I upped the weight a bit) all are 12,10,8,10,12 reps Using a stability ball
Back
Pull over 10,12,15,12,10# dbs
single back arm fly standing 8,10,12,10,8# db
Chest
fly 10,12,15,12,10# dbs
chest press 10, 12,15,12,10# dbs
Triceps
standing kickbacks 8, 10,12#,10,8# dbs
lying extensions 8,10,12,10,8# dbs
Biceps
standing sweeper curls 10,12,15,12,10# dbs
incline curls 10,12,15,12,10# dbs
Shoulders
standing overhead press 8,10,12,10,8# dbs
front raise using stability ball 5,8,10,8,5# dbs

Coffey Fit Raw legs and glutes finisher (this is the new one she just put up)
16 minutes actual time(20 me for writing it down) timed I think 40 seconds but not sure as sometimes it seemed long ;) Kelly uses 15# dbs
Squats 20# dbs
no weight fast squats then toes our fast squats
front lunges w/ pulses 15# dbs, then regular lunges alternating
lunge shooters no weight
reverse lunge/down up down alterntating 15# dbs
no weight reverse lunge touch the floor alternating
Front/side/together lunge holding dbs together in front 15# dbs (this was much harder that one would think holding the dumbbells like that and Kelly does take a break in the middle)
No weight split lunge hop then out hop then back in alternating sides
Finishes with bridge variations single leg in figure 4, both feet on dumbbells, knees in and out bridges (Kelly says that if you used a weighted vest instead of weights you could lay it across your hips or you can use a weight) I did not as I have plans to do Pyramid lower one day this week along with some Kelly work from the rotation.

As far as thoughts on the workouts today. I felt there was really nothing new or special about the Pyramid workouts that I did for upper. I liked that each body part was done as a super set with the 5 sets. Maybe lower will be different? Lots of options on the Pyramid dvd to leave out the step up moves and disc moves etc.. Also changing up how many sets you do and lots of different ways of putting the workouts together. One can go to the chapter menu and just pick a body part or two if they want to. I like that it has the bonus abs on it. The Cardio Party crush mix had a lot of impact jumping on and off the bench.

Valerie, yes, the soup is fairly easy to make. I am glad that you liked it. I try different things for my coffee as far as cream, but to me there is nothing that comes close to cream itself. I have been buying Califa Farms better half which is coconut milk and almond milk. I liked the unsweetened one somewhat, I tried the original and it got thick and would have to melt in my coffee and tasted more like almonds. I recently purchased the vanilla (no sugar) and it is marginally okay to me. I don't like almond milk in my coffee. When I made my own hazel nut milk and cashew milk with a bit of vanilla a teaspoon of maple syrup in the whole batch it was excellent creamer. But, too much work. There is nothing creamy about most of the non dairy creamers. I wish I enjoyed coffee black. Zesting is time consuming. Whenever I squeeze lemons and limes or zest I try to do extra and put it in the freezer. I use a lot of lemon and lime juice in my cooking.

Deb, that collagen formula tasted really good. I just put it in a glass of water and drank it. It will save me drinking a cup of decaf coffee in the evening with the collagen in it of mixing it in nut butter with protein which is what I tend to do and it adds more fat to my diet. It is nothing like that awful lavender sleep formula that they had. When they asked what I thought of the lavender, I told them the flavor was not good. I had to try to find a way to use it. They keep adding new flavors to a lot of their products. They have sure went all out on the Keto diet thing. A lot of those Paleo promoters are making Keto books now. But, I like Dr Axe products. I kind of wanted to try the cold brew coffee flavored collagen for mornings since it has a little caffeine in it, but have been worried that it would be sweet. I see no sweetener on the label though.

Carolyn, nice calorie burn with To the Max :) I am not sorry I bought my Instant Pot. I was worried that it would be another monstrosity that took up space and did not get used. I will be using it Sunday for chile when we have our family birthday gathering.

we did a nice hike today. 4 hours. a few miles probably 5 to 6 round trip. icy and slippery in places and a few streams to cross, but not a lot of total gain but a lot of up and down along a lake and then a river. so pretty out but cold..... except in the sun.
I got my dvds today but no time to look at them. I won't get an instant pot either, but still somewhat considering an air fryer. no rush. maybe ….. not sure what I'd use it for exactly. don't want another "spiralizer "

I keep my coffee simple. I love love coffee flavor, and like it black or with a small amount of skim milk, only skim milk. hot or cold or in between. I don't like it sweetened or with creamy anything. DH likes more milk and drinks some of my cup so he can get the small amount of caffeine he can handle. it is so silly and laughable to hear him complain about me adding plain black coffee to MY cup of coffee because he doesn't like it like that. :oops::oops::p Too bad!

Good morning,

No workout yesterday.

Valerie, I like your idea on the limes. Another purchase for about a tablespoon that never gets used up. Funny on the coffee situation. :). I switched to drinking black coffee when the variables of drinking it with "cream" or whatever was available became annoying. Whether it was in restaurants, or at someone's house...it was always something different, so the coffee never tasted the same. Only at home could I get what I liked. John kept telling me to eliminate the "additions" so there is no variable, drink it black and you have a better chance of getting what you want. He was right. :). I put that to my brother who drank it with milk for decades and he switched too. He thanks me all the time for the suggestion.

Carolyn, good job on To the Max. That one is tough. I keep thinking if a buy an Instant Pot, I can toss some of those other things that are taking up space. :)

Diane Sue, thanks for the info on the new workouts. The Pyramid one sounds pretty versatile. I don't think I will try/like the Cardio Party one you described with jumping on and off the step. I drink coffee black and really like it. I used to use cream, and now don't like it at all with cream, unless it is one of the fancy coffee...eg cappuccino etc. For some reason, I like how they are made with milk, it must be the steaming. I think I will order the collagen that you tried. Can you post that Amazon link again? I don't remember what I did with the lavender one....I think I tossed it.

Hi to Judy & Lori,

Take care,

Deb that is totally right! I love dark roast coffee ☕️. Espresso or French or Italian roast . DH makes the first cup from espresso maker so he can get his bit of caffeine from my cup. After that he has to be decaffeinated. We use steamed milk ,but I like much less than he does. I add some cold brew to refill it. This gets close to an americano. I agree 100% about ordering black. it’s predictable. All the variations make it a crazy. I want that dark roast flavor.

Not sure what we’ll do today. another clear sunny one before rain returns.

I have a citrus squeezer on my food processor. it works great. I don't think Cuisinart makes it anymore, but it is worth keeping. I buy a big bag of limes at Costco, wash them all, then DH and I squeeze them... in a production line. I have some old ice cube trays that work nicely. lime juice takes a long time to freeze and never gets as hard as water cubes. the full size cube is 2 TB so easy to judge how much to use. the cubes cut easily with a knife. I take them out of trays after freezing and store in a double zip lock bag. its enough for a year for me.

In cathe's newsletter there is a good article about upper body exercises and injuries. the impingement she talks about is 'me". I never suspected some of those exercises but since I am lucky enough to heal without surgery, I will be aware and careful.

we will ride today.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Today I did LiTe Pyramid Pump, premix 1, with 6 Pack Abs #1. I loved it! The weights used in this series are lighter than Cathe usually uses and I will probably increase a few of them. I used her weights today and there were a few moves that I thought I could have gone heavier, but also a few that I was barely able to finish. The lower body Pyramid Pump is awesome, and good enough to be a stand alone leg workout, at least for me. The 6 Pack Abs was challenging, but doable. I really liked it too.

Deb-I need to switch to drinking my coffee black. I used to but then I got hooked on using cream and I'd like to give that habit up.

Diane Sue-The Lower Body Pyramid Pump is set up the same as upper, but there are more exercises. I think I will go a little heavier the next time I do this one.

Carolyn-Great job with To The Max!

Valerie-I saw that article about upper body exercises and injuries too. I'm pretty sure that I have an impingement in my right shoulder. I've done most of those exercises for years and I never felt like they were causing a problem but I will be very careful when doing them in the future.

Hi to Lori!

Judy

Do any of you know how to print ONE article from the newsletter? I don't want to waste ink on the whole thing just to get the one I want. Ive tried this before and never was successful.

Valerie-I have done that by copying and pasting the text of the article I wanted to save into a Word file then printing it and saving it that way. I have a folder of Cathe newsletter articles in Word files.

thank you judy. I will give that a try. that office program you gave me a link to works well when I remember to use it. thank you again for that.
ETA Yes, that worked.

Last edited:
This morning I did Butts and Guts, a timesaver premix, for 54 minutes and 247 calories burned. My average heart rate was 114 and maximum heart rate was 153. I had a dentist appointment this morning after that. My LITE dvds came yesterday. I thought that the mail carrier could not get here because our street and the surrounding area is being re-paved, but she made it through. I previewed Cardio Party and Calorie Crush today.

Deb, I think you could do Cardio Party. The Calorie Crush Bonus that Diane Sue did uses the Step and is higher impact. I love a good cup of black coffee and I don’t want anything added to interfere with the taste of the coffee.

Diane Sue, great job with the Calorie Crush premix and the Pyramid workout. Calorie Crush seems similar to IMAX with the step combos and the blasts.

Judy, the Pyramid Pump workouts sound like good ones. Cathe probably kept the weights lighter since it’s an intermediate series. I will often choose lighter weights for an unfamiliar workout. Once I know what to expect I am better able to select an appointment weight.

Valerie, I read Cathe’s newsletter article on injuries too. I try to be very aware of my form and I am careful with shoulder exercises. One of the things that I like about Cathe’s weight workouts is her emphasis and cues on having good form.

Hello to Lori.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.