Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 08/7/22

Traildoggie

Cathlete
good morning. riding this morning. went shorter and did a 15 mile ride on nearby bike trail. 1 hr 6 minutes. seemed like a frantic traffic day early on, and getting hot already. decided shorter was a better option.

Last edited:
Good morning. Today I did Jane Adams Gentle Yoga Morning Energy practice for 18 minutes. Other than that, this is a rest day for me.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

I'm back.Just finished High Energy Kickboxing and that is a very aptly named workout. I really liked it. Cathe actually doesn't use gloves for it and says that she did upper body the day before and is still sore.

Had more adventures with Google maps than I needed. LOL Leaving the Louisville Zoo we ran into a road that was so briefly closed under a bridge, but Google didn't know about it and just kept trying to route us back and we are totally unfamiliar with the area. After going in lots of squares and rectangles, we finally got on the route to take the toll bridge instead of the free bridge back to Indiana. Two bridges almost side by side, but you take different routes to get to them. Then at one point it's trying to reroute us the next day when we headed to Indy and I'm like NO, I know I want this highway and I was right. Then on our way home, I had my phone on the charger, but Derek is in the back seat in charge of looking at it, to get me better directions than I can get with just voice, we had over an hour same highway to get to food, and they took a nap. I can hear the voice saying something, but not what, so I pull the phone back to me, and it wants to reroute. After our bad experiences, and because I missed WHY we should reroute, I opted not to reroute and we got stuck for 30-40 minutes for an accident that turned out to be a semi in a ditch. As we passed they were hooking lots of stuff to it to try and get it back out. We did get rained on some at Louisville, but no nearly as badly as we did last year at Cincinnati. Indy was just hot. Got some new experiences at Indy as there new walk through Kangaroo area (lots of zoos have walk thrus) you could pet them if they were on the path. I always thought kangaroos would feel like deer fur, but no they are plush like bunnies. Really soft. Then they have an elephant talk where they go through the various trainings they do to check the health of feet, mouth etc. After the talk, they let a certain number of people go through and touch her side. The timing of the talk is totally up to the elephant as they she's given incentives to come over to the area, but they never force. Through Derek's internship, I've learned that there are actually a lot of animals, at zoos, that don't go on exhibit because they simply don't want to go out. I'm just home now till the 25th when I move Derek back up.

Valerie glad you were able to get in a ride even if it was shorter.

Carolyn nice job keeping the yoga going.

Last edited:
Weve occasionally had grief with google maps too. mostly they get updated but if you get off whatever route you're on, sometimes it takes her a while to get reoriented. we carry a road atlas. not useful in cities or populated areas. out in the boonies and there is a problem it's much easier to look at a big scale map that shows a large area but still shows minor roads. also detail on forest service roads which may or may not show on google. electronic maps sized up for details, lose the big picture. we had that happen this spring coming back from MT. the interstate in WA was closed for traffic problems. no alternate route. we had to go back 30 miles and use a minor road to get to another route over a different pass. I had used the route before long ago. it was clear in a road atlas. I felt pretty smart compared to all the people sitting on the interstate waiting, which turned out to be an 8 hour wait.
another situation is wildfires that can pop up. its the season now. no way google has a route for that but a paper map might help.

Cathy.. I don't know how good each state in your area is. I download the state traffic app from the DOT for each state we regularly drive thru. I have WA, ID, MT, OR. will do CA in a few months. some states do a great job, others as good. sometimes there are several apps available so compare. road conditions, and significant delays show up clearly and can (sometimes) give you time to detour and avoid trouble. they all work about the same but slightly different, if that makes sense. it works best if the passenger can monitor while the driver drives. we dont have vehicle GPS so I haven't used that. WA is the least useful one, and MT is the best, so go figure. when they update them, they take a while to get settled and working right.
I love google, vastly better in a city, but paper has its place. so cool you get to pet the critters!

Last edited:
This morning I did KCM’s Cardio Quick Fix, both workouts, for 45 minutes and 319 calories burned. My average heart rate was 134 and maximum heart rate was 167.

Cathy, great job with High Energy Kickboxing. Your drive home was definitely adventurous! Like Valerie, I prefer to have the big picture from a road atlas before relying on Google Maps or any navigation system. Your zoo visits sound like fun.

Hello to Valerie, Judy, and Diane Sue.

Last night I went to the gym with Chris. I did a strength circuit, focusing on the exercises I can't really do at home. I love using the leg press and some of the chest and back machines. It was after 10 pm when we got home. I'm not used to working out that late but it was kind of nice to do something different. Today I did 50 minutes of Peloton rides.

Carolyn-Great job with Jane Adams Gentle Yoga Morning Energy practice and Cardio Quick Fix!

Cathy-Nice job with High Energy Kickboxing. It sounds like you had a fun and busy weekend!

Valerie-Nice ride! It's been so hot here too. It looks like this week might be a little better.

Hi to Diane Sue

Last edited:
Today I did Kelly Coffey Cardio Fit workout #1 kickboxing and lower body, 34 minutes, 1,530 steps, 121 calories, heart rate 105/124. I then used the same dvd, but did the all dumbbells mix, so I repeated the lower which was alternated with the upper weight work, 37 minutes, heart rate 103/126, 110 calories, 581 steps. I finished with a CDorner shorter mobility workout, 21 minutes, 37 calories. Total time was 87 minutes, 268 calories, 2,111 steps. Yesterday was a rest day and no workout. Tomorrow will probably be no workout as I have my ladies game day group I will be going to in the morning.
Cardio Fit workout 15# dbs
boxing, squat dead lift followed by 1 1/2 reverse squat
boxing, plie squats followed by side lunge hold then hold and press forward
boxing, splits alternating followed by squat right and left
1 dumbbell pick up put down box
1 dumbbell step back put down pick up box
cooldown

All Dumbbell alternates the lower and upper segments
lower/ deadlift and 1 1/2 squat 15# dbs
upper pec deck down to triceps 8# dbs
upper lean forward lift back/upright row 8# dbs
lower plies and side lunges 15# dbs
Upper single press/body shot alternating sides 8# dbs
kickback/hook alternating sides 8# dbs
lower split squats alternating 15# dumbbells squat right and left 15# dbs
upper body step back crunch 8# db alternating sides
curtsy lunge overhead triceps extensions 8# dbs
lower dumbbell pick up put down boxing 15# db dumbbell step back pick up boxing 15# db
upper body bend and wide row 8# dbs
gunslinger I chose 5's
upper W curls 8# dbs hands palms facing forward
over the shoulder holding 5's(Kelly 8's) moving in a rainbow to opposite knee
Plank knee drops
cooldown stretch

Cathy, sorry your had problems with the phone wanting to reroute and a traffic issue. I am always having my phone try to reroute me, but generally it is my choice to suddenly change my mind for some reason on which way I want to go. Either that, or I forgot to set it for no highways or tolls and it keeps trying to take me to the highway. Most of the time I have checked out routes if it is somewhere that I am not used to, before I leave. Having a walk through and being able to pet the kangaroos sounds fun.

Valerie, we had the navigation system updated at the dealership in my husband's car and it is still missing a long stretch of the highway near us. I don't know about my car. My husband put a navigation system in it for me and I never use it or the phone. I use my cell phone for maps and calls. I don't answer my phone when I am on the road. The only thing I use that he added for me is the backup camera. A lot of people do not see my little car when I am backing out of a parking space. My car is little.
Paper maps are good to have when travelling. We had a time where we were meeting family at a cabin out in woods and lost phone signal once. We tried to remember directions and could not contact anyone. We lucked out as we were driving up a dirt road and my daughter and daughter in law were coming toward us. I guess they had went into a nearby town to pick up something from a store. Lesson learned there.

Carolyn, great job with Cardio Quick FIx both workouts today.

Judy, that is nice that you were able to use some equipment and do stuff you do not do at home. I am usually ready for bed at that time of night. Changes once in a while can be fun though.

This morning I did Stacked Sets Lower Body for 39 minutes and 190 calories burned. Average heart rate was 120 and maximum heart rate was 142.

Judy, great job working out in the gym with your husband. I wouldn’t be able to do anything at that time of night. I applaud you!

Diane Sue, great job with your double workout with Cardio Fit and CDORNER Mobility. We keep a map in the car to use as backup to the electronic navigation. I like to have a mental picture of where I am going.

Hello to Valerie and Cathy.

We did a ride this morning, about 23 miles in 2 hours. a fairly regular ride for us, it has a wonderful bakery. we cant do this ride all the time for that reason alone. they have wonderful croissants, muffins, cookies, breads. there is one pastry called an almond bostock. this one is to die for! I ate a whole one this morning as did DH. we split one before although he got 2/3 of it because he takes much bigger bites so it was inherently unfair and we cant have that! not over sweet with a layer of almond flavored filing. they have a drive up window so not a restaurant but its right on the ride, and we can roll right up to the take out counter. its a good thing this is not closer to our house or I would be drawn there too often.

I also don't talk on the phone while driving. illegal here. We usually carry a road atlas with us when traveling, one for each state. there is a vast amount of information on atlases compared to a gps. mountains, rivers, campgrounds, fishing access, topographic info etc. I prefer to have both systems available if possible. for getting around cities, GPS is way better, but out in less developed areas an atlas is better. we have been given incredibly stupid information from a gps sometimes. I use google maps on my phone when needed. its great on vacation when you dont carry all the maps along. did not get gps on our vehicles. we have a back up camera on our newer truck.
friends have a new prius. had trouble putting a bike rack on it. car keeps "automatic braking" whenever they try to back up because it "sees" the rack or the bikes. bike racks are such common add-ons but apparently no way to inactivate the sensors. our truck with the back up camera activates warnings when we back up. we dont have a rack on it, but have a mat we drape over the tailgate and then hang the bikes over it. its something to remember when trying to carry bikes.

wow judy, I would never be able to sleep if I worked out late like that.

Last edited:
This morning I did JS 30 Minute Fat Blaster. That was 31 minutes and 214 calories burned. My average heart rate was 133 and maximum heart rate was 168.

Diane Sue, your ladies group sounds like fun.

Valerie, great job with your 2 hour ride. The bakery stop is a nice bonus. The almond pastry sounds delicious.

Hello to Judy and Cathy.

Reactions: WD
Carolyn it's called an almond bostock. I never heard of it before but I tried one when they were out of almond croissants. that's what its similar too, but better. cant make it into a basic food group, but occasionally it's a treat. had mamm on monday and two other appts today and if all is clear I'm done for a while.

Well yesterday ended up no workout as I could no longer put off an oil change. That meant taking Derek to work, getting the oil change, hanging out at my parents for a bit, and going back to the zoo to walk. No way I was driving back home, as it’s over an hour round trip to go back and get him.

Just finished Toasted TrIceps upper Body. Looked it up to see what equipment I needed and the comments made me question why I would do it. Various weights, bench, and mat. Definitely a tough workout, and I happily used less weight than Cathe for almost everything! Not only does the warmup use 5’s, it also uses 8’s. Biceps, triceps, back, chest, shoulders and core.

Valerie, I don’t think an atlas would have helped either situation. Louisville is so big, and the areas we were in would have been hard to pinpoint. And if Derek had been awake, or I had had the phone up front, we could have avoided the accident. The Michigan site for construction, accidents, traffic flow etc is good, but only for roads operated by the state. I would never try to go backroads in the UP without a map review because google is notorious for getting people lost up there. On the UP sites, Yoopers are always telling people NOT to use it to navigate. I always review google directions ahead of time for construction, but it only gets me so far. And there is SO much construction. When you look at the MI map of construction on your phone, it’s just a shape covered with construction icons. The highway we take to go pretty much everywhere is in it’s third year of construction with another year to go! And yes, usually when Derek is with me, he has the phone and plays navigator, but the girlfriend was along… Great that you got I. A nice ride. Not being able to do a ride regularly do to a bakery is something I get. It’s a good thing I don’t live near a smoothie King. There’s one by the oil change pace, and my car made me go through the drive through and get lunch. Is there a way to adjust the Prius so it doesn’t do that. I know my husband’s car has cruise that automatically keeps you from getting too close, and my Dad told me you could adjust the distance.

Carolyn nice job with Cardio Quick Fix and 30 Minute Fat Blaster.

Judy great job with the gym workout and Peloton ride.

Diane Sue nice job with Cardio Fit, and mobility. I will take and decline calls through the car when I’m driving as long as I’m in light traffic. I can do it without taking my hands off the wheel. Hands free is the only legal way to talk here. I can also check messages easily, though the only ones I do are the boys.

I'm waiting to leave for a medical appt so Im back again!

our area in MT was famous for giving people terrible info on their phones. some of it comes from road names like "trail creek" "Big Creek" "Pine creek" . too many places with the same name. for a while people were being directed to use "Trail creek" to get to our house. it was way too snow covered for anything but a snowmobile. then after the recent Yellowstone flooding, it was the only route that worked to get around washouts.

I got a little triggered by some local news people making fun of people using "paper maps", like it was "covered wagon" level of travel. in metro areas I use google maps. I set it up before I leave and just listen to directions. as you just said, out in less developed areas, other methods might be better. We use Twitter for traffic updates in certain areas. input is often faster and more accurate than WSDOT but it depends on washington state patrol input. not every trooper uses it. we always watch that site for wildfire information along the interstate in eastern WA during fire season where brush fires can pop up and cause interstate closure suddenly. this has happened to us several times. some jerk tosses a cigarette out the window and half an hour later its smoke and flames . usually in cities you just have to gut it out in the backup because everyone else knows the same alternate routes and they are blocked too.

smoothie probably hacked your GPS and directed you there!.

our friends had just bought a new Prius and got a hitch mount installed and this was the first time using it. don't know if they figured out a work around but with bicycling so popular I hope toyota thought of that.

Last edited:
Last night I did a Peloton ride and this morning I did the Pyramid Combo premix from the Intensity series. I really like that premix.

Diane Sue-Great job with Cardio Fit workout #1 kickboxing and lower body and the CDorner mobility workout. I need to work on getting to bed earlier. If I'm not working the next day I tend to stay up until later.

Carolyn-Great job with Stacked Sets Lower Body and JS 30 Minute Fat Blaster. Thanks, it was really challenging for me to get motivated to workout that late.

Valerie-Great ride! If I did cardio that late I wouldn't be able to sleep at all. Strength training doesn't have the same effect for me though. It didn't really keep me from sleeping that night.

Cathy-Great job with the Toasted Trisets Upper Body workout. I remember that one being really good.

Today I did CDorner Tabata Fun Cardio, 33 minutes, heart rate 116/146, 150 ca, 1,895 steps. The music on this was fun and she started the warm up with Xanadu. I then did Raw Strength #1 (cardio acceleration for cardio instead of 1 minute rest) 36 minutes, heart rate 111/141, 141 calories, 928 steps. I finished off with CDorner latest mobility workout, 31 minutes, heart rate 97/112, 86 calories, 52 steps. Total time was 97 minutes, 377 calories, 2,875 steps.
Raw Strength #1 (fun music)
warm up
Back 1 arm row followed by cardio rest 12 reps 25# db left and right
Back 1 arm row followed by cardio rest 12 reps 20# db

squat followed by cardio rest 20# dbs 12 reps
squat followed by cardio rest 20# dbs 12 reps

bench press followed by cardio rest 10# dbs 12 reps
bench press followed by cardio rest 10# dbs 12 reps

Hammer Curl with twist followed by cardio rest 15# dbs 12 reps
Hammer Curl with twist follwed by cardio rest 12# dbs 12 reps

suitcase deadlifts followed by cardio rest 20# dbs 12 reps
suitcase deadlifts followed by cardio rest 20# dbs 12 reps

lateral raise followed by cardio rest 8# dbs 12 reps
lateral raise followed by cardio rest 8# dbs 12 reps

skull crusher followed by cardio rest 10# dbs 12 reps
skull crusher followed by cardio rest 10# dbs 12 reps

final two sets are seated knee in outs for 60 seconds
stretch

I am up late again. When I get some cleaning done evenings and find time to sit down at the computer it always ends up that I go to bed after midnight. I keep trying to work on adjusting that as I am not rested when I stay up so late.

Valerie, I love a good croissant. I used to bake them. Sometimes I look back at how busy I always was raising children, doing daycare, and keeping up house and errands and I still baked homemade breads and cookies and stuff all of the time. I also worked out 3 hours a day. I don't know where my time all goes now, but I manage to use it. My daughter brought over croissants and donuts from somewhere along with homemade soup when I was recovering from surgery and my husband had covid. I really enjoyed those croissants. You can buy at the grocery store, but they are not worth eating. I would love the almond filling, that sounds delicious.
I hadn't thought of those special vehicle things having conflicts like that. My husband's new Gladiator truck has all kinds of those things. I don't want to drive it. It seems huge to me compared to my little chevy Spark. It always feels good to get the mammogram and physicals etc. out of the way with an all clear. I think paper maps for back up is an excellent idea. There are so many rural areas and areas where online maps do not pick up well. When we went out of town for our anniversary the bed and breakfast type of place, we stayed was hard to locate. My husband's GPS led us to a dead-end dirt road that look like it had been flooded and lots of erosion. I checked Google maps and we back tracked, and the place ended up being the opposite direction. We are going again for my birthday, but this time getting one of the cottages where we can take our own food and it has a kitchen so that will be nice.

Carolyn, nice work with Jessica Smith Fat Blaster. I don't think I am familiar with that one. I do enjoy the get my game days with the ladies. I am hosting next month and am hoping to get them to do a new card game along with a shortened version of scrabble. Last time I made homemade Quiche along with a fruit bowl and cinnamon rolls. Not sure what I will do this time. We start at 9 am so getting things together needs to be somewhat easy. I prepared two different quiche recipes the night before and baked in the morning adding a little time because they were cold to start.

Cathy, I am pretty sure they are not supposed to talk on cell phones here either, but you see it all of the time anyway. Even with a phone link on my navigation system I don't answer. I am not messing with buttons and distractions when I am driving. I will pull over if needed or call when I get to my destination. They show on my watch so I do have that advantage, but still am not answering. Funny thing is one time I pulled into the garage and suddenly I hear my husband talking to someone from work. He was on his cell in the house and it was coming through my navigation system. That was odd. That is too funny about the smoothie and your vehicle making you go through the drive through.
My daughter has hands free talking in her car and calls and visits on her way home from work. I just do not like to do that.

Judy, I think part of my problem with going to bed late is that most days there is not a requirement for me to get up early. I prefer to get up early though as a habit because shopping and dealing with things works out better if I am not starting my day late. If that makes sense. I don't like changing my sleep patterns back and forth. It gets difficult though with my husband working nights. On his days off I tend to stay up till 1 am and then I am trying to drag myself out of bed for the lawn guys and to go to church. It does not work well. I have not done an Intensity series workout in a long time. I always liked the Pyramid workouts. Today I was trying to find something shorter to get the weight work in with some cardio and stretching since I did not work out yesterday.

with all the electroncis available and every car a little different. it's a learning experience. our friends had a old prius ( gave to their daughter), but this was a new one and it wouldn't let them back out of their garage with the bikes on. it kept braking and sending warnings. we have a fairly new ford truck in MT. it sounds an alarm and shows a pic on the screen when we back up with bikes on the back, but it doesn't brake. the pad over the tailgate seems to trigger it because it blocks a sensor. we usually dont get the complete electronics package.
my SIL has the hands free talk on her phone set up in her car but its impossible to understand each other so its a waste of time. might work for simple messages but forget an actual conversation.

I used to bake a lot of things but never croissants. the grocery store ones don't even look good. this bakery has lovely baked things but OMG not for every day! I probably could not afford the calories back then either, but definitely cant handle home baked things now. Love them but they dont love me.

This morning I did Stacked Sets Upper Body. My time was 47 minutes and 235 calories burned. Average heart rate was was 121 and maximum heart rate was 160.

Cathy, great job with Toasted Triceps Upper Body. That name says it all! I need to have my car serviced too, but I have been putting it off.

Valerie, the almond bostock sounded familiar so I looked at one of my baking cookbooks and it was there. The author described it as a twice baked French toast made with brioche or challah bread with the almond cream on the outside instead of the middle. Is that similar to what you had? I still bake but I don’t do bread anymore unless it’s a holiday. I used to bake two loaves of whole wheat twice a month. Now I might make rolls or cinnamon rolls when the family is here. I don’t have to worry about leftovers when the house is full.

Judy, great job with the Peloton ride and Pyramid combo. I have never done that premix. I didn’t even realize that it was there until Deb mentioned it a few years ago.

Diane Sue, great job with CDorner Tabata Fun Cardio, Raw Strength, and CDORNER Mobility. Jessica’s 30 Minute Fat Blaster is from her 30 Day Plan, a 3 dvd set. I’m glad that you enjoyed your Ladies day.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Last edited:
"Our Almond Bostock is made with flaky croissant dough, brushed with a Grand Marnier orange syrup and filled with an Almond Cream. Dipped in sliced almonds and dusted with powdered sugar. Decadent and delicious."

carolyn I copied their description. the almond filling is soft but doesn't seem like cream to me. Bakers take liberties! this bakery has a pick up window, no indoor seating so things need to be travel worthy. they also do cookies, breads, muffins. when we plan to ride call or order ahead so we get what we want.

I used to bake bread too but seldom anymore. we dont eat much bread and purchased bread is way better than it used to be. I make focaccia sometimes, and cinnamon rolls but slice and freeze so they arent on my radar all the time.

we did a ride this morning 1 hr 20 minutes. split one of those pastries. that puts me back on the straight and narrow for the rest of the day.

judy I have never been an evening exerciser. got to be done by 5 or that's it. we get up very early, and go to bed early since we dont have work schedules anymore,.

Last edited:
Valerie, the description matches what the recipe described. Almond cream or frangipane, is the filling in almond croissants. I do the same when I bake, divide into servings and freeze. Nice job with your ride today and that wonderful pastry.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.