Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 07/17/22

Traildoggie

Cathlete
Good morning.

ETA I like watermelon. sort of a new "like" for me because we seldom had it where I grew up...... it never fit in the refrigerator. I like it by itself. also with cucumber. tried some salads with a little feta cheese and liked that too. mixed melon salads too. I tried one mixed with tomatoes. that was a flop... bad mismatch.

I've had to deal with my sister a lot lately. that is a project that will never end. she realizes now she has to get out of her house but has no help to do it. I refuse to go back there and orchestrate this. she has two children.

Last edited:
Just finished a recent Live To the Mat: Legs, Glutes and Core. I think this is my favorite of the To the Mat workouts. Uses the pink and green fire walker loops and the green fabric band, along with the ball. A lot of variety.

Valerie I'm a total watermelon snob. I simply cannot eat watermelon unless it's by itself or mixed with only other fresh fruit. Cloudy upper 70's day here, but it may rain, which we really don't need right now.

Good morning. Today I did Jane Adams Gentle Yoga Morning Energy practice for 18 minutes.

I like watermelon okay, but in small amounts. We had a very good watermelon last week. It’s such a messy fruit that I hate to deal with it. I always cut it out of the rind into cubes to make it easier to fit in the refrigerator and for anyone to get the amount that they want to eat. Watermelon and feta salad is tasty and a nice variation—not with tomato.

Cathy, nice job with Live To the Mat Legs, Glutes, and Core.

Waving hello to Judy and Diane Sue. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Hi Everyone,

We did an outdoor ride yesterday, around an hour or so. It was so nice to ride outside again.
I worked today and took a rest day from exercise.

Valerie-I like watermelon too. I'm sorry that you are dealing with your sister's issues.

Cathy-Great job with Live To the Mat: Legs, Glutes and Core.

Carolyn-Great job with Jane Adams Gentle Yoga Morning Energy practice.

Diane Sue-Great job with the CDorner workouts.

Reactions: WD
esterday I did Kelly's Raw Box and Butt workout, I used the cardio setting on my watch, but it is listed in muscle definitions, so not so much cardio as I expected. I feel it today. That was 53 minutes as a little of the time was writing down the moves for my notebook, heart rate 97/134, 852 steps. I then did CDorner step, kickbox, stretch skipping the step and doing only part of the stretch. This was 33 minutes, heart rate 105/153, 2,214 steps, 153 calories. Total time was 86 minutes, 259 calories, 3,066 steps.
Today was a rest day and we celebrated my daughter's birthday.

Raw Box and Butt

Boxing with hooks
1 dumbbell 15,20 squat
repeat starting on other side with boxing
boxing hook/upper/ slip
static lunge partials with 20# db
repeat on other side
boxing jab/cross/jab/slip
chair butt blaster 2.5# ankle weights
repeat other side
boxing hook/hook/jab/set
plie 3/1 count
repeat
boxing double jab/single
chair hydrant ankle weights
repeat
boxing hook/cross/up/set
chair frog squat toes up
repeat
boxing 3upper cut/jab
dumbbell optional lunge knee touch down 15#
boxing jab/ cross/ hook
balance chair side leg lift
repeat
finishes with another set of butt blaster and bridges w/ feet on the chair
stretch

Valerie, I like watermelon by itself. Nothing else. I cannot imagine mixing it with tomatoes. When it is in a fruit bowl mixed it is easy to pick it out. Sorry your sister is so difficult.

Cathy, I wish I could say it was that cool here. I looked today and the 10 day is all in the 100's and dry. I have no desire to spend much time outside. 8pm is any yard stuff I do. That live workout sounds like one I would like. I like using the stability ball.

Carolyn, nice work with Jane Adams morning energy today. I was stiff enough when I got up this morning that I could have used some yoga, but I had a meal to get together.

Judy, I bet it was nice to get outside for a ride. I hope you enjoyed your day after work.

Just finished Gloved Up and Ready. Was not expecting it to include a weight section. A bit over 30 minutes was boxing and then 10 minute endurance segment with weights followed by a few core exercises. A decent workout, but I don't think I'll do it again.

Carolyn nice job with the yoga. I love good watermelon and have been known to make it my entire meal. LOL

Valerie sorry to hear you having to try to deal long distance with your sister. Hopefully, there is a local resource to help her. But, it's hard to help people who won't take help.

Judy great that you were able to get in a ride. Do you have trails near you? I'd have to drive a fair ways to get decent length trails.

Diane Sue nice job with the Raw Box and Butt and Kickbox and stretch workouts. I keep tabs on Fort Worth weather since Nick is there and they have a week of 105-111 and that's not heat index. Ugh. He only has to be out to get from building to car, but I'd hate having to spend that much time closed up inside.

we have a cousin and spouse who moved to phoenix a couple years ago. they are staying home during summer this year. OMG. I am absolutely someone who prefers cool to cold weather but its so bloody hot I cant even imagine. I attended a friend's wedding a long time ago in PHX and it was 116 degrees during the day. it is hard to even breathe. even with air running full force constantly I could not get a hotel room down to anything like a what I call a reasonable temperature. I would never move some place with unbearable weather. a big % of people live in PHX fall winter and spring, and go somewhere else during the summers. cathy at least your son has a limited time period where he has to live with that.

Cathy.. it's finding a local resource. she can't access information. when help arrives she blabs and argues and learns nothing. she has significant medical and behavioral issues. no car. can't drive. no computer. no ability to use one if she had one. (I'd buy her one in a heartbeat. it would sit unopened with all the things people got for her that she won't use). free cell phone, can't use. a long series of "I can't". two worthless children who ignore her. she can't use her cpap. she had someone come out to show her how. all she does is complain about how it didn't help her. if she shut the eff up for 2 minutes and paid attention she could learn something. if you get the idea I'm burned out with dealing with her, you're right.

we did serious heavy garden work, and also a deck staining party yesterday. an every 5 yr job thats not fun. we are looking into surfaces replaced with Trex. lower maintenance. deck is old, trex was just entering the market when we built it and was not approved for an elevated deck like ours. I'm pretty sure we can replace much of it now.

we ride designated bike trails but also ride on selected trafficked roads. are there any bicycling clubs locally? its a good way to find groups and routes that people use to cycle.

Today I did Cardio Party for 39 minutes and 270 calories burned. My average heart rate was 136 and maximum heart rate was 162.

Judy, that’s great that you could ride outside.

Diane Sue, nice job with Raw Box and Butt and CDORNER Dtep, Kickbox, Stretch. I’m sure that you enjoyed the birthday celebration for your daughter. I saw that Oklahoma and Texas are having ridiculous temperatures. Staying inside during the intense heat is the safest thing to do.

Cathy, great job with Gloved Up and Ready. My husband is the watermelon lover around here. He is also a purest—no watermelon salad for him! That Texas heat is probably a shock to your son’s system.

Valerie, I’m sorry that your sister is having such a difficult time. It’s really too bad that her children won’t do more to help.

Have a wonderful day and try to stay cool.

Cathy-We have a couple of trails close to us and a few more that are about a 45 minute drive to get to.

Valerie-There are a few bike clubs/groups here. That's something we should look into. I used to do group rides with a club when I was in Iowa.

Carolyn-Great job with Cardio Party

Diane Sue-Great job with Kelly's Raw Box and Butt workout. I'm planning on trying that one.

riding with a group makes it a little safer. they often know routes and times that are best, and if there are 20 people riding single file, its more obvious to motorists than if its two people. DH and I used to ride with a group but havent in a long time. most of the trails we ride are less than half an hour drive.

Today I did Coffey Fit Raw Cardio Crush 3, heart rate 112/138, 153 calories, 1,842 steps. I really felt this all was low for what I did. I then did Kelly's Cardio Fit premix Hi/Low cardio, heart rate 115/136, 85 calories, 1,213 steps. Total time was 58 minutes, 238 calories, 3,055 steps.
Cardio Crush 3
Tabata rounds done 4 times with two moves and then moves to the next round High and Low impact with low options
Tabata 1
run butt kicker
Jacks
Tabata 2
lunge split jumps alternating
triple steps to the side and scoop return
Tabata 3
prisoner squat
jump rope 4 jog 4
Tabata 4
skaters
soldier arms and legs moving (fast)
Tabata 5
knee/knee/push kick
long jump
Tabata 6
squat out/thrust (Tried first round and switched to side to side squat jump)
mountain climbers (managed these)
Tabata 7 abs
crunches (I did v sits and scissor legs)
leg drops
stretch

Valerie, it does get very hot in Phoenix area. I think people get used to awhile. I lived in Mesa AZ for 8 years growing up. The hottest I remember was something like 120. The asphalt was squishy walking on it because it was so hot. I used to spend lots of time outside summers. I was so used to it that when winter hit and it got down in the 40's, I wore a big fuzzy coat to keep warm.

Cathy, the heat is probably uncomfortable for your son. I had to quit leaving water sit in my car. It gets really hot and tastes like the plastic bottle. I had some gum melt and it is in the garage most of the time. Our temp is supposed to be 110 tomorrow. That is the actual temperature forecast.
It seems like I did Gloved Up and Ready before. I can't remember if I liked it or not. There was one I liked that she did kickboxing and heavy bag boxing I liked.
My daughter said they have lots of peaches they need to take care of. I suggested she freeze some. I wish she would have brought some with her. She says they are really sweet.

Carolyn, I pulled out Cardio Party today, but changed my mind since it has boxing in it and my shoulders are still a bit sore from Saturday. Plus CDorner is doing a kickbox workout tomorrow and I like that she has more kicking in her workouts.

Hi to Judy

Last edited:
Just did Upper Body Ball-tastic. Very thorough workout that includes core.

Valerie it sounds like your sister really needs a guardian, but even someone appointed with no emotional connection would have a very hard time of it with her. My sister, brother and I have been trying to figure out how to help my Dad with Mom. She's getting more difficult to deal with. She needs to be on anxiety meds which would help a great deal, and she desperately needs her cataracts removed as she can't see well at all, but she's long had white coat phobia and with the anxiety on top of it it's not happening.

Carolyn nice job with Cardio Party. It's definitely a huge change for Nick, not just going from Michigan, but from spending the previous four winters along Lake Superior. They were in the top five small cities for total snowfall last winter and it gets very cold for 5 months of the year. When they go up in August they get about a month of nice weather and then it tends to get cool and rainy and then onto winter and they are done and leave very early May. But, he tends to roll with things pretty well.

Judy that's good that you have some trails close to you.

Diane Sue nice job with Cardio Crush and Cardio Fit. Michigan peaches aren't in season for about another month, but I bought some plums last week that when you eat them are the messiest, juiciest things I've ever eaten and very flavorful.

I had an early medical appointment today, so no workout. Today was my annual mammogram. The procedure was very quick, but it was raining very hard this morning. It took longer to get there, then I had to sit in my car for a while and wait for the downpour to ease before going into the building.

Diane Sue, nice job with Raw Cardio Crush and Cardio Fit Hi/Lo. Your daughter definitely needs to freeze some of her peaches so that they can enjoy them later in the year. The peaches here are very sweet too, and I’m really enjoying them. Both my mother and mother-in-law would can peaches during the summer. I can remember peeling a lot of peaches for that purpose!

Cathy, great job with Upper Body Ball-tastic.

Hello to Valerie and Judy.

we mt biked early today, 2 hours. it was nice and fairly quiet tho a few more people today but it's also clear and sunny, so that brings people out. it's a lot of climbing and I am pooped!

people acclimate (somewhat) to conditions where they live. in Phoenix area lots of people leave for the summer. cousin there says his whole building empties out in summer. he left for a long time last summer but is staying there this year. I've had several close friends who live near PHX.. One headed to san diego for summer. another back to her home in the midwest. the heat and sun intensity is hard on cars, houses, and people. forget doing anything outdoors. at night it might not get much below 90. activity shifts to early morning and late evening. evenings are nice but sleeping must be a challenge. it was lovely in November but no way would I agree to live there. humidity is low but there's no way around 115 degrees and intense sun. I get tired of the rain here sometimes, but its manageable. 90 degrees and up is not .
we get good peaches from eastern WA, OR and Ca. Love them!

Cathy can they hire a day worker to help with your mother's care to give your father a break? cataract surgery is pretty benign process these days with such good almost immediate benefits. I'm sorry, maybe I wasn't paying attention... does your mother have dementia of some sort?

I remember a relative getting catraract surgery back in the 1950's. he had to stay motionless in bed in a hospital for several weeks, if I remember right. a long time ago. so much easier now.
cathy a big part of the problem is my sister is on Medicaid and she can't explain the program to anyone and doesn't understand well herself. she inherited a sum of money from when our mother passed 4 yrs ago that finally arrived, and it messed up her existing benefits. its not a huge amount, and its a one time thing.
she has always had problems getting along with people in general, and has managed to alienate just about everyone. her resistance to learning anything new developed as an adult. I'm no genius with technology, but and have to work at it, re read directions etc. she can't use an alarm clock or a can opener! that she wont even try is the aggravating part! her energy goes to making excuses about why she "can't do" whatever is needed. says she has brain damage from her seizure medications. so that's her ready-made excuse for everything, and her reason for not sitting down with the directions and figuring things out.

carolyn hope the mamm went well. I am lined up for mine in 2 or 3 weeks. it's always a big stressor for me.

Last edited:
Today I did CDorner no equipment kickboxing that she did today, 80's music, 34 minutes, heart rate 125/159, 167 calories, 2,903 steps. I then did Cathe Perfect Pump Upper Body, 43 minutes since I added shoulder rotator work at the end, 93 calories, heart rate 85/115, 348 steps. I finished with Chris mobility from today, 32 minutes, 75/93 heart rate, 43 calories. I saved this one as I really liked the moves and she did some shoulder stuff that was a bit different. There was a lot for shoulders and neck and a good lower section. Total time today was 1 hour 49 minutes, 303 calories, 3,251 steps.

Perfect Pump weights (I went low on these) requires bench, tubing, and dumbbells)
Pullover set #1 5# dbs and I made sure I did not go too far back
Pullover set #2 3# dbs I really worry about this move as I have been doing much better without it
One arm row set #1 10# db 12 reps
One Arm Row set #2 15# db 10 reps (I felt 10 was too light)
Bent over clutch row 10# dbs10 reps
posture pulls with tubing
rapid row toss 12# db
standing sweeper curls 10# dbs 10 reps
clutch curls 12# dbs 10 reps
Biceps curls 12# dbs 10 reps
Biceps Curls set #2 10# dbs 10 reps
Biceps curls set #3 8# dbs 10 reps
incline front v lat raise combo 3# dbs and a few reps 5# Cathe uses 5's
lateral raise 3# dbs
scarecrow 3# dbs
push press 5# dbs
tubing move for shoulder and chest
incline bench press 8# dbs 16 reps
incline clutch press 8# dbs 10 reps
dead bug fly 8# dbs 10 reps
decline push up elevated foot - I just did a few release push ups on my kneess (thanks Cam)
overhead triceps extension 12# 12 reps
kickbacks with tubing
push ups using the step topper I did 5
triceps dips set #1 20 reps weight in lap (no weight)
triceps dips #2 18 reps no weight me
triceps dip #3 12 reps no tried with weight and removed it
stretch

Cathy, nice work with Balltastic. The name is familiar, but not sure if I have done that one. I did find a folder of live workouts that I have done. I was looking for my folder with Perfect 30 worksheets and user guide in it. I pulled out some worksheets for P90X3 remembering they were all 30-minute workouts, but when I looked there were lots of pullups, so I put them back where I got them. From memory though, I think they had substitutions using just tubing anchored. I used those at my daughter's house when we were waiting to get into our house. It worked as she was doing daycare while on hiatus from teaching and I needed to get it done quick.
It sounds like your son has experienced different climates. I wish I could find nice fruit. I had to sit the last plums I got out to ripen. Needless to say, they were not juicy and sweet. I used to get better fruit at Sprouts. My husband's favorite plum is red inside. I looked those up once and apparently, they are usually ripe around September.
They mentioned me having a cataract starting or something. The guy that did my field vision test said I would know when it was where I needed surgery. He said new technology is quick and you can see right away. He was describing the whole procedure. My regular eye doctor/ surgeon is the one that diagnosed it. He did surgery for my visual field lifting the skin that was drooping over my eye. I never thought about getting the surgery and my daughter mentioned it. It seems your mom would be happy she could see better.

Carolyn, mammograms usually go quick. Although last time they kept trying to get a better picture of a spot they thought they saw and then I ended up having to go back. I am never a fan of driving in heavy rain. My grandmother used to can peaches and plums. She was always making a plum cobbler when family visited.

Valerie, someplace like Flagstaff AZ would be much cooler than Phoenix. I don't think of San Diego being cool in the summer, but I guess cooler than Phoenix. I am glad you had a good ride today after heading out early. We have friends from Wisconsin that had moved here and every time we would go to their house, I would make sure I took a sweater or something because they kept it so cold, I would be shivering. Over the years the quit keeping it quite so cold.

Today was Med Ball Blast. 10 Rounds alternating med ball and weighted exercises. Cathe uses a 4 lb ball and I have an 8 lb and a 3 lb, so I used the 3 lb. Definitely a workout that left me sweaty, though it's also a bit warmer down here today. A whole 72 at the moment.

Valerie sounds like you got a great ride in yesterday. We kids are quite sure she has dementia, but there is no way she would cooperate with testing. Her mother had it, but my Mom is at least 10 years ahead of where grandma was as hers wasn't noticeable until she was over 90. My Mom is a LOT like her mother, except that Grandma loved going to the doctor. Bit of a hypochondriac. My Mom is a pretty negative person and she trusts absolutely no one in any medical profession. She's gotten kicked out of at least two places. My Grandma wouldn't leave her home until she'd fallen and been taken to the hospital enough times that the hospital refused to release her to go home and my cousin was finally able to get her into a memory care facility. By that point she was about 96. And of course, after telling us our whole lives that we could just "put her in a home", my Mom has now gone in the complete opposite direction and is horrified by the idea. I do not envy my Dad one bit.

Carolyn I hope your test results come back nice and clean!

Diane Sue nice job with the kickboxing and PP Upper Body. The plums I got are the ones that are dark purple on the outside. At this point, I still have two in the fridge and I think they will just disintegrate into juice when I try and eat them. LOL

This morning I did Cardio Quick Fix workout one for 26 minutes and 170 calories burned. My average heart rate was 133 and maximum heart rate was 164. I have an appointment with my Breast Specialist next week and she will review the mammogram results then.

Valerie, your ride yesterday sounds like a nice one.

Diane Sue, great job with CDorner No Equipment Kickboxing, Perfect Pump Upper Body, and CDORNER Mobility.

Cathy, nice job with Med Ball Blast.

Waving hello to Judy. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Today I did Cathe Perfect Pump Lower Body, 33 minutes, heart rate 102/135, 467 steps, 110 calories. I then did CDorner Intermediate 130BPM Step that she did live today, 47 minutes, heart rate 118/148, 210 calories, 3,311 steps. This was a fun step workout except the music through most of it was driving me nuts. I wanted it to stop. When I had first turned it on it was live and I saw the end and music was not bad at the end and looked fun. So, I did not expect to dislike the music. I did weights first since she was not done yet.
Perfect Pump Lower Body
squats 20# dbs 12 reps
static lunges 15# dbs 12 reps
deadlifts 20# dbs 12 reps
pick up squats 20# db 12 reps
elevated lunge I used 3 risers instead of 4 15# dbs 12 reps
elevated lunge hops (did these on the floor after each side)
deadlifts with toes elevated 20# dbs 12 reps
heels elevated front squat 15# dbs
step ups 15# dbs 12 reps
single leg deadllift 20# db 10 reps
front lunges 15# db 10 reps
close grip squat 20# db 12 reps
squat crossover lunges 6 inch step 15# db 10 reps
forward leaning lunges 6 inch step 15# db 10 reps
cossack squat 12# db 12 reps
calf raises set 1 20# dbs 25 reps
calf raises set 2 20# dbs 20 reps
calf raises set 3 20# dbs 15 reps

Cathy, I remember the med ball workout. I put a 4 # ball in my Amazon wish list ages ago, and it is still there. I have large med balls at 8, 10, and 15#. 8 was too heavy for that workout. It was 104 here today. There is a 20% chance of rain tonight. Maybe we will be lucky. It is tough when a parent has dementia or other illnesses that requires care daily. My brother and his wife moved to Florida from Nebraska to stay with his wife's mother because she has dementia. Her husband passed away several years ago. It was rough for them as my brother quit his job and put their house up for sale to move there. Now that they are there they cannot go anywhere. They cannot leave her alone for long.

Carolyn, I hope things look good when you go in to see the breast specialist and go over results. I go back for another ultrasound in November. Nice work on Cardio Quick Fix 1 today.

Hi to Valerie and Judy.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.