Penagenarians & Beyond: W/B 10/4

good morning. no formal workout yesterday. we cleaned up the vegie garden yesterday for end of season. I have kale, carrots and beets left. ripped out everything else. it gets cool and damp and almost all plants wilt and stop producing. we harvested squash. hundreds of pounds. we give some away, some will get composted and many will get eaten. we have butternut and hubbard. one hubbard alone is about 50 lbs. hubbards keep well and make great pumpkin pie and soup. butternut best eaten roasted. attacked a corner of the garden taken over by blackberries, a major nemesis here. hard to control, forget getting rid of it entirely. I clipped the vines and dragged/raked into a pile. it was a serious upper body workout.

we put our water heater back into the camper after replacing the water deteriorated wood. looks promising that we fixed this. after all the glue and caulk are dry this morning, we will add water to make sure it works, check for leaks. we can see inside the framework by pulling out drawers, plus we now know exactly where it leaked. I'm proud of us for fixing this!

I use a drop of oil on my hair after washing. Loma. a tiny drop smooths and detangles. less than 1/8 tsp. it does not prevent humidity frizzies. for my hair only a flat iron is up to the duty.

Last edited:
Yesterday, I did Walk Strong Boogie IT 32 minutes 168 calories, heart rate 126/165, 3,155 steps. I also did the Walk Strong 3 Pilates + Yoga, 32 minutes,, 44 calories, heart rate 84/115, 221 steps. Total time was 64 minutes, 212 calories, 3,376 steps. I had to get out and run errands. My husband ordered a small air fryer. It worked well. They were crisp and brown with only a little oil. He was happy with them. I am thinking of spiralizing sweet potato for myself and trying it. I did have to cook longer than the recommended 15 minutes they gav, even after preheating. It never said how long to preheat, just said preheat so I did 5 minutes. Whole Foods subbed tiny yellow potatoes which would have been okay, but I was going to make french fries so went to Sprouts to get larger potatoes. That is okay, maybe I will have potatoes when Thanksgiving comes. Glad I found vanilla at Dollar General because Sprouts and Whole Foods is too costly.

Deb, I will have to look into that Live workout when I am free from pain. I wish I could get that many calories in 44 minutes. I can barely get that doing an intense cardio workout if I am lucky. I am pretty sure it is the Versa and up models as they said they use their new algorithms on them. Whatever method it is, I don't think it is accurate.

Valerie, that sounds like a real workout just doing all of the garden work and camper. I tried growing blackberries here and they never took off after I planted them. I remember them wild in England though. You could just go for a bike ride and stop and pick them along the road. Those must be some huge squash. I just paid a lot for two small organic acorn squash.

This morning I did Jane Adams Gentle Yoga Morning Energy practice. That was 28 minutes and 43 calories burned. This is my rest day, but I try to get in some stretching when I can.

Deb, nice job with Live Total Body Push Pull Heavy Weights.

Valerie, clearing your garden definitely counts as a workout. I am cooking butternut squash today in a beef and butternut chili.

Diane Sue, good job with the WS3 workouts yesterday. I’m glad that the air fryer worked out. I remember getting an email from Fitbit a few months ago about a change in the algorithms for my Charge 3.

Hello to Cathy, Judy, and Lori.

Boys and I went for a 75 minute hike along Lake Superior. It had rained a lot recently and the path was up from the shore so we had to deal with some wet area, either going around or in a couple cases walking across down trees. Got to practice my balance! Picking them up at 6 for food and to hang out for a bit. At least 6 is the plan. I had told them yesterday that I would be there by 12:30 and they should be ready and they should have eaten. I got to the rest area 10 minutes from them just after 12 and texted them. One says he'll be ready by 12:45, the other is saying should I go get food now. Finally at 12:25 he went and got food and brought it with them and it was about 12:45 by the time we were all in the car. LOL

Valerie gardening is definitely a workout! That's one big squash!! That's fantastic that you got the camper issue fixed yourselves.

Deb great workout you did!

Diane Sue, that's a great amount of steps for that length of workout.

Hi to everyone else :)

cathy we have about 200 lbs of butternuts too. guessing on the weight but I had to carry them to the garage in 4 baskets. washed in mild bleach solution, dried, and then go to the garage to hold for several months. butternuts will last until probably end of january. hubbards last longer but more limited use for those. I love butternut squash. some years are better than others. this is a lot of squash. we will give some away after we try some ourselves first.

did Total body metabolic yesterday. it was hard. if I slack off for a week I can see the difference. riding this morning.

we did it! the camper is fixed. cost us maybe $30 in glue, caulk, a few screws after DH bravely pulled the heater out. it was not obvious, but we decided, "what have we got to lose?" we could not use the camper with one jack non functioning. I'm not sure an RV dealer could have diagnosed this and fixed it.
we fired up the water heater, works like new. we fixed the source of the leak. we put waterproof tape on the area where it was missing. just 3 inches that was missed in manufacture. should absolutely 100% fix this. I am very proud of us!

This morning I did Afterburn for 54 minutes and 299 calories burned. My average heart rate was 122 and maximum heart rate was 162. I was interrupted by the phone and missed a short part of interval nine. It was a tough workout!

Cathy, nice job on that hike with your sons. Young adults seem to have their own version of time.

Valerie, that’s great news on the camper repairs. Impressive work. Nice work with Total Body Metabolic.

Hello to everyone and have a wonderful afternoon.

Hi all.

No workout today.....we have a toilet with a leaking seal upstairs, discovered it this weekend, and the plumber is here now fixing it. Of course, not before it ruined part of the ceiling in the downstairs front hall. EDITED to ADD... It was not the seal, have to have a larger part fixed, which will be more complicated, and take 2 guys, instead of the one that came today. and....more of the ceiling will need to be ripped out to do the repair... :mad:. Now that will need to be fixed and painted. ugh...

Valerie, I think what you did yesterday in the garden counts for at least 1, if not 2 workouts!..Nice job on the camper!!

Diane Sue, nice job on the Walk Strong workouts. I am sorry about the pain you are in. :). I hope something works soon.

Carolyn, nice job on the Gently Yoga practice. Did you order the new Cathe series? The new Perfect Flow workouts seem to be something you would really like.

Cathy, that sounds like a great walk with your sons.

Hi to Lori & Judy,

Take care,

diane sue I meant to comment on blackberries. I don't especially like eating them, too seedy. they grow everywhere here..everywhere! blackberries are to the northwest what kudzu is to the southeast. they are rampant here. impenetrable thickets of them with thorny canes that tears everything and flattens tires. . the ones I tore out were the native ones that creep along the ground.
the one thing I read about air fryers is that people often feel they bought too small a unit , and re-purchased bigger. mine is medium size. I like sweet potatoes. I cut into small squares, toss with a little olive oil and chili powder, and roast until done enough for me about 20-30 min. I never could get a spiralizer to cut things of equal size, especially sweet potatoes, and to bake evenly ..... the pieces need to be similar in size. I gave spiralizer away, did not like it. I use mine to heat french bread, and toast nuts among other things. I use it like a toaster oven.
bummer on the toilet Deb. amazing what a little water in the wrong place can do, isnt it? hope that goes well. make sure everything is very dry before you repair the ceiling.

we mt biked this morning 1 hr 35 min. a nice ride, our usual one while the trails are still open. I dont know why I had so much trouble with MTB yesterday, I was strong on the ride. Carolyn, Afterburn is a tough one. I have it but have not done it in ages.
DH was the brains behind fixing the camper. he cleverly patched the damaged wood nicely. I was right about what the problem was to begin with, while he didn't agree, and thought it was a mechanical failure rather than water damage. so we both are happy now. all done.

tee hee cathy..... kids are usually in a different time zone.

Rough busy day today and not much sleep. Our neighbor let me know he was getting his fence redone yesterday afternoon and they were ready to tear down the panels between our yards. We decided to go ahead and get ours done too. Anyway, many trips outside on leash with Gertie and she would not do anything. I stayed up late and still nothing, so put her to bed in the sun room figuring if there was a mess, it was just one place. This left me getting to bed late and needing to get up extra early, little sleep. I even took a Vital Proteins collagen sleep shot before bed and it did not help. It took three trips this morning after eating to get her to do anything!! Then school time and that has not went well. Many trips outside. I did run upstairs and do Coffey Fit Raw Step 4, 30 minutes, heart rate 119/145, 151 calories, 3,084 steps. I loved the workout and music. It does have some boxing in it, but intermittent with other moves. Kelly uses an 8 inch step and I used 6 inch today. She uses egg weights and I waited till about 15 minutes in before I picked up 1 # dumbbells. My left knee hurts and neck and shoulders are tremendously sore along with low back. I feel like I have been beat up and contemplated doing nothing, but the movement helped for awhile. I still ended up taking Excedrin later. I am hoping I am up for doing the workout with the lower body later this week. If I didn't take it down some on intensity I am sure my calories would have been better.

Carolyn, I like to try and get in some stretching on my days off if possible. Afterburn is a tough workout. I do not understand Fitbit needs for changing the algorithms.

Cathy, that would figure that the boys sense of time was off. They tend to be preoccupied with other things, but it sounds like it worked out and you had a nice time with them. It seems a like a lot of my short workouts get plenty of steps, but the other stats are not so good.

Valerie, nice that you were able to get everything fixed and running well on the camper. I think it is nice when we can fix something ourselves well and avoid paying someone else to fix it. We had measured and was pricing fencing to do ourselves, but my husband is working so many extra house and little sleep, so when the fence people came up out here and we asked price and materials we took them up on it. My husband wanted to make sure they were using metal poles and not wood like is there now. Metal is much stronger. And they are using cedar wood which is our preference.

Deb, I am sorry that your plumbing issue is worse than expected. Those things are always upsetting. I hope that you can get it fixed quickly.

This morning I did LIS Low Impact Challenge for 51 minutes and 382 calories burned. My average heart rate was 134 and maximum heart rate was 167. I had to walk around a few times during the workout for a brief rest. The LIS is tough, something that is easy to forget!

Deb, I’m sorry about that leak. Things like that are so frustrating. I’m looking forward to the new workouts, especially the Perfect Flow. The idea of shorter workouts is appealing, but I expect them to be intense. Cathe discussed some low impact modifications for the High Impact HiiT, something I will definitely need. After seeing the preview my first thought was that I would skip doing it, but I feel better after Cathe responded with possible modifications.

Diane Sue, maybe you need to give your body a little more recovery. Lighter workouts could help. That was smart to have your fence done at the same time as your neighbors.

Hello to Valerie, Judy, Cathy, and Lori.

I did Live Compound Giant Sets Light Weights this morning. It just uses 8 pound weights and you go through the four sets of the exercises, then standing abs and finish with planks. It's a good workout. She moves at a pace that keeps it cardio the entire workout.

Yesterday was a bust for activity. I woke up at 3:30 and after having gotten up at 4 the previous morning, my goal became to drive home before I crashed late afternoon. I've had enough experience with 3.5-4 hours sleep to know that I'm good until about 3:30-4:00 in the afternoon and then my energy starts sliding downhill. Got home about 3:15.

Valerie it's fantastic that you guys fixed your problem on your own! Getting through a workout when it's hard is the best!! You can be so proud of pushing through and doing it.

Carolyn kudos on Afterburn. I haven't done that one in years and at this point-it just scares me. LOL Low Impact Challenge is one of my favorite workouts.

Deb what a lousy problem to have. I hope it's taken care of soon. When our dishwasher decided to start spraying a big stream of water all over the kitchen, it took out our bathroom ceiling in the basement. The only plus was it's drop ceiling removable panels and not a regular ceiling. Good luck getting it all back to normal.

Diane Sue sounds like you had a really bad day all around. Hopefully you got a good nights sleep and you're feeling better today. Hopefully Gertie's okay and it was just the upheaval of the fence that got her out of sorts. If you want a bit of amusement, I first read that you wrote she used egg whites, and I was like :oops: what do egg whites have to do with working out, followed by mental visual on how that might work.:D Fortunately, it was only a matter of seconds, but it did give me a good laugh.

so far haven't done anything today. plan to ride tomorrow, a road ride. the trail we "road" ride has been closed for major repairs all summer but opened on the 2nd. will do that tomorrow.
diane sue, maybe you need to take a significant break, like a week off to rest. or at least take a string of a several days off. you don't seem to get many rest days and maybe you need some. or like carolyn said, light days like yoga or stretch. I don't like to take a full week off myself so maybe I shouldn't talk, but a few days off might help. what do you have to lose?

I have not been shopping and so did not get more weights. I think I will just take 12, 15 and 20 along with me and worry about buying more in spring. we want to make another trip to MT soon to get in before hunting season starts, and then we won't be there most of the winter.

Good evening ladies,

My dear friend that past last October sister came to visit us for a day on Saturday. She took a covid test before visiting plus we know she shares our same thoughts on masks and social distancing. We can’t take any chances with Bob getting sick, plus she offered to get tested. We had such a great day/night. Lots of laughs, lots of tears. My only exercise over the weekend was walking GiGi. Still a good workout!

Sunday I received a call from our VP of HR from work. Someone in the office tested positive. So they were closing the office to disinfect and all those associated with this person needed to get tested. This person has not been in the office since last Wednesday and they never said who it was, but I was able to figure out by what I was told. I felt very comfortable, I would be fine..but to be sure Bob and I went yesterday and each had a rapid test and we received results in 20 mins. Both negative!! :) Office will reopen on Thursday.

Yesterday and today, I did sculpt only workouts...one from perspirology and the other from hamlin. Made me miss doing the Hamlin workouts so going to try and incorporate them more often. Both days I walked GiGi for two 30 minute walks. Once in the morning and then in the evening. This evening it was 88 degrees. I will admit I was pretty gross by the time I came home. GiGi seems to have adjusted well to the heat. She gets plenty of water every 10 mins while we walk in high temps.

Deb...so sorry about the toilet issues!! That's terrible!

Valerie...so glad to hear you got the camper fixed and for 30 bucks! That is awesome! I do use a flat iron with the oil. But just using a flat iron does not work for me with the humidity. such a pain to bring weights when you travel. I did that all the time when we went to the Cape. My husband hated I did this but understood.

Cathy...love compound giant sets with light weights. She really works you with 8lbs! Glad you made it home safely on so little sleep. What a nice day with your boys. I would really enjoy that hike.

Carolyn...I find all of Cathe’s Low Impact are not easy. They really work you.

Diane Sue...I hope you are feeling better. The WS3 are great and I really enjoyed them. I read somewhere her daughter is 2 already! Crazy it has been 2 years. Time flies. Nice you have an airfryer We love ours and if it broke we would buy one immediately. I am like Valerie and ended up giving my spiralizer away. Never cared for it. I have yet to make it to Sprouts!!!

Hello to Judy!!

Have a great night all!

never got to the workout yesterday. DH went to basement to get some potatoes for dinner, and unfortunately our water heater sprung a leak. its fairly new but replacing moved to top of the to-do list. so dug out warranty and receipt etc, called Lowes and this morning we need to take camper off the truck so we have space for a water heater and will be getting it shortly. sometimes life messes up workout plans, more of a factor when exercising later in the day.
I made an easy and good recipe for dinner that Ive made before. sheet pan dinner with romesco sauce. the sauce is delicious. I'll post it shortly. I don't think I've posted it before but might have. EW recipe. put ingredients in food processor and sauce is done. good on many other things.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/268635/sheet-pan-chicken-vegetables-with-romesco-sauce/
I follow it but use hot paprika and skip the red pepper flakes. I use chicken breast or tenders not thighs. its really easy. the jarred red peppers I use are napolean piquillo peppers. dump, rinse and puree. I toast the almonds first. I love this one and its so easy.

Lori I tried that spiralizer on many things. never could get even sized spirals. if I have to use the knife on 2/3 of the pieces , it's easier to just use the knife and skip spiralizing. I didn't like the texture of anything.
I like the air fryer but not quite as much as it seems a lot of people do.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did Cathe Live #316, Metabolic Upper Body. That was another fun and effective workout and it lived up to it's name-it was very metabolic! Today I did Xtrain Cardio Leg Blast and the Ball & Chair section from Xtrain Legs. I used Cathe’s weights for Cardio Leg Blast but I modified a couple of the higher impact cardio blasts. I have a hair appointment this afternoon. I work tomorrow and Friday then I have 6 days off. It will be nice to have a weekend off for a change.

Deb-Great job with Push Pull Total Body. I liked that one a lot. I’m so sorry about the plumbing problems. That is awful :(

Diane Sue-I’m sorry about your sleep. I hope you feel better today.

Cathy-Great job with Live Compound Giant Sets. I don’t think I’ve done that one but it sounds good. I will have to try it. Lol @ egg whites! I've made that mistake a few times when I was first reading about egg weights.

Valerie-great job on fixing your camper! I'm sorry about your hot water heater. That recipe looks good. I might have to give it a try.

Lori-That’s great news that you and your husband tested negative. I hope the person from your office recovers ok.

This morning I did Upper Body Trisets, Chest, shoulders, and Triceps premix. My time was 33 minutes with 263 calories burned. Average heart rate was 116 and maximum heart rate was 149. I only had a short time for a workout this morning and that was just right. I had my virtual WW meeting and I needed to drop off our absentee ballots. Glad to have that done! Then I went to the store to get ingredients for a recipe that I want to try. Monday I did an online cooking class with Sur La Table that was part of a birthday gift from my daughters. I didn’t cook along with her, but I am going to make the dish tomorrow. It was a Greek meal with lemon chicken souvlaki, tzatziki sauce, and Greek salad.

Lori, that’s wonderful that your friend came to visit for a day. It’s unfortunate about the office situation, but not surprising with people in a closed environment. I’m glad that you are being careful.

Valerie, so sorry about the hot water heater. Life does have a way of interrupting our plans. I love that sheet pan chicken with romesco sauce! You posted it last year around January and I have made it many times since then. I remember when it was because I took a picture to send my girls. It was so good that I wanted them to try it. That sauce is good on other things when you have leftovers.

Judy, nice job with Cathe Live Metabolic Upper Body.

Hello to Diane Sue, Cathe, and Deb.

Today I did Coffey Fit Raw Step and Legs, 50 minutes (45 actual), 205 calories, heart rate 106/145(odd as my Fitbit popped up an alert at over 150 while I was working), 4,082 steps. I also did Walk Strong 3 abs, 17 minutes, 30 calories, 86/116, 315 steps (this was off because I started the total body and once through warm up it was side squat overhead press and I moved on to the abs, forgot to start the Fitbit back up or the abs for a bit, hence 17 minutes) Total time spent was 67 minutes, 235 calories, 4,397 step

Today I did Lower Body Trisets for 41 minutes and 211 calories burned. Average heart rate was 119 and maximum heart rate was 155.

Waving hello to everyone. I hope you all have a wonderful day.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.