peanut butter vs. cheese

RhiannonW

Cathlete
I'd love to hear some opinions on peanut butter vs. cheese.
I'd like to get the most bang for my buck. Some eating plans say lowfat cheese is okay while a few plans say peanut butter is okay(obviously not too much of either).
I love peanut butter on apple slices, or just plain on a spoon.
I love cheese chunks with a few crackers with it.
Protein and carbs in both snacks. Which is best?

Thanks in advance, everyone.

I'm now a vegan, but when I first became a vegetarian, I would snack on cheddar cheese spread with peanut butter (so you don't have to make a choice!). Of course, there were no lowfat cheese back in the 70's, so I think I put on a bit of weight!

Why do you have to choose? Some days, you might have some PB (I've read that 2 TBSp is a good limit per day---but I usually use more when I have it). Other days, have some cheese. But, as you say, in moderation. How about trying other nut butters as well? Almond butter? Soy butter? (If you don't like the taste plain, mix 1/2 and 1/2 p.b. with them).

Peanut butter is usually about 80% fat and very little protein. I consider it a fat source and not a protein source. That being said, I do use about 1-2 every other day or so. I also do lf or ff cheese occasionally. It all depends on what works for you as an individual.

Colleen

Like in a fight? Well, if the peanut butter is chunky, then my money's on him. However, if the cheese was Roquefort, which is quite strong, then I'm backing cheesey on that one.

I eat peanut power butter, which is a very healthy peanut butter that quite a bit of protein in it. I love this stuff! Here's a quick breakdown:

Peanut Power Butter is the most exciting new protein and essential fat replacement product in the market today. Made for active body builders, fitness enthusiast and lifestyles, PowerButter’s unique formula is peanut butter base and fortified with flax seed, flax oil and other proteins to provide all the protein and essential fats needed to replenish the body during and after a workout. And PowerButter is all-natural and contains no cholesterol and no trans fatty acids and is high in protein and essential Omega- 3 and Omega-6 fats to keep the body at peak performance and naturally balanced.

Also: cheese has saturated fat (the biggest source of saturated fat in the American diet is dairy products) and cholesterol. Peanut butter has monosaturated fats and no cholesterol.

Hi

Well, I eat both. But I buy the "natural" kind peanut butter and usually only lowfat Swiss cheese.

Peanut butter is much better for you than cheese. As said above, cheese has saturated fat in it. Peanut butter has the "good" fats. Cheese probably has more protein, but there are much better sources of protein than either of them.

I eat both. And the peanut butter I eat is Jif (quickly ducking)! Jif has plenty of trans fat, sugar and salt. I like it though.

Cheese is a whole other experience. I read in a website, Skwigg's, (link below) that peanut butter crackers have prevented many cookie accidents. So there's a perspective.

http://www.skwigg.com/wow/index.html

Why does it have to be one or the other? I eat both, but not at the same time. I usually get the low-fat or non-fat cheese and eat that for breakfast with my egg whites. Peanut butter I usually eat as a quick snack, on days when I'm rushing through chores and errands, to tide me over until such time I can prepare myself a nice, clean meal. I have Smuckers natural PB, which doesn't have any sugar, so if you're used to the regular PB, it'll taste very bland to you. My son likes the regular creamy kind, and I get whatever's on sale at the store. For more taste, I combine my son's regular creamy PB with my Smuckers natural PB, half and half, between two slices of whole wheat bread with a small glass of soy milk. It usually lasts about 3 hours in my system.:)

Pinky

I hardly eat peanut butter at all, it's a cultural thing: kids in the UK do not grow up eating pb&j sandwiches as you do here. To me it is still a weird food item. My kids like it sometimes.....the Jiffy variety that Connie favours! Personlly, I am a Marmite fan instead!!!!!

Cheese is an every day food for me. As avegetarian I need its protein and it is the last food item I would ever be prepared to give up. I love especially all the hard, well matured cheeses Manchego, Mature Scottish Cheddar, etc and bread, cheese and a glass of red wine was always my fave dinner when I lived in Spain and France. You can't be a European and a linguist and not love cheese!!!!

So, the saturated fat and cholesterol does not accummulate in my body: I am trim, healthy and have a low cholesterol count and a high count of the blood lipids that matter to protect your heart as my recent blood work shows. So I say: a little of what you fancy does you good and I refuse to obsess about food or stick food items on a verboten list.

Both products are good for you in moderation: enjoy them both.

Clare

There's plenty of evidence that eating nuts is a great way to stay healthy and I just read raaching for peanut butter instead of nuts is a smart chocie becausee who wants to stop at a handful of nuts? Peanut butter was considered less likely to be overeaten. Still, I keep mixed nuts on hand and eat them or peanut butter quite regularly. I tend to think of peanuts and peanut butter as a snack food, whereas, cheese is a flavor enhancer around here and I use it moderately in all its wonderful types. I agree with Kathryn, why choose? My diet is very healthy, very clean and I refuse to buy low fat or fat free cheese, I use real butter and sour cream because fat is not to be feared. Used properly, it will keep you from going overboard when eating and food should taste wonderful as well as be nutritious. So, don't pit peanut butter against cheese. Eat both in moderation and keep your calories in balance and enjoy! :)
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

- Mary Oliver

This is easy for me, as I love peanut butter and could easily never eat cheese again for the rest of my life as far as taste goes.

But healthwise, I agree that there is no real need to choose, both are rather similar. Cheese is an animal product so there is some environmental/animal welfare incentive to avoid it. Also, the saturated fat, although I don't think that's really so bad in moderation.

But Arrowhead Mills Creamy peanut butter is sooooo delicious. I could just eat it from the jar. And sometimes, I do!

I love peanut butter on celery and cheese has always been a weakness of mine. I've recently tried fat free american cheese to put on my egg whites with mushrooms. it's not that bad. I don't cook with it other ways though- in most other dishes it just tastes fake

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.