Pain in the arch of my foot!

lesliew

Cathlete
I have a pain in the arch of my left foot that only acts up when I do step aerobics. It seems to bother me when I land toe, ball, heel. It almost feels like there's a ligament getting stretched. It doesn't bother me when I stop stepping. Do you think orthotics would help? Does Dr. Scholl's make an insert for arches? Thanks for any input!

I had the exact same thing. It's called Plantar Faciatus (spelling?) meaning the the ligament is being stretched basically. I have low arches and the impact was hurting me. I wear Rykas when I do the step but there is only so much those shoes can handle on the Interval Max or Imax 2 workouts. My Podiatrist suggested physical therapy (which was a wopping $600 a months...) I don't think so!!!! Not sure about over the counter inserts but I think anything is worth trying right?

So that's what it's called! I just scrolled down the Ask Cathe forum and noted someone had posted a question about shoes for plantars. Someone mentioned they have New Balance sneakers and haven't had a problem with plantars for awhile. I wear Rykas too. This is my second pair and I started noticing this problem about a year after I bought my first pair of Rykas. I thought maybe the support was going and I needed a new pair. The problem with buying sneakers is I don't know if they're going to fit me right until after I break them in! By then, it's too late to bring them back!

I just checked the Dr. Scholl's website and found 3 products that are supposed to relieve plantars faciatus. They're inserts for your shoes. I'm going to check out either the Tricomfort orthotics or the Dynastep. They're suppose to help foot arch and lower back pain, I have both problems! I hope they work because I'd hate to give up my step!

Hi Leslie

I've had PF for more than 5 years. I know that it is from doing years and years of step aerobics on my basement floor. It got very painful at one point. I stopped doing aerobics then for about 4 months and only did spinning and other non-impact activities. It seemed to heal in that time.

In the past few weeks, it has started to act up. I wear Ryka shoes (with an orthotic insert), getting a new pair every 6 months or so. I am definitely going to try buy another pair this week and I may even see if my insurance will replace the insert.

I feel your pain! Good luck, Angie.

I would not assume that your problem is plantar facietis (sp??) but what I would do is have it checked out by a doctor or physical therapist. Then go from there. PF generally bothers you in the morning right when you step out of bed (mine does) so I'm not sure if what you are describing is in fact PF. It may well be, but just to be sure I would get it checked out!! Good luck.

I bought the Dr. Scholl's Tricushion inserts and will see how they do. BTW, they also make inserts specifically for high impact aerobics that are supposed to be good for people with knee problems. I hope these work. If not I'll see a doctor.

Thanks for the advice!

I bought inserts from the Good Feet Store (goodfeet.com). They helped my PF tremendously. I couldn't do any type of impact activities for a couple of years due to the pain in my feet (I even bought different kinds of inserts for my shoes previously). These inserts helped me go from no impact to IMax with no problems. If the Dr. Scholll's don't work, you may want to consider seeing if there is a Good Feet Store near you.

However, I would go to the doctor to see if it truly is PF and not something else.
Lorrayne

There was some discussion on the vf site regarding PF you may wish to check out. I second the "go to the doctor" advice. Also, make sure that you change your sneakers regularly, crosstrain and stretch! I have had PF, achilles heel, etc. I had to take about a year off (from step and hilo) while doing spinning, yoga, pilates, weights. I then added in kickboxing then eventually step and some hilo. I do not do impact more often than twice per week. I have not had a recurrence. I also use orthotics. Mine are by Apex and I found them online. Good luck and I hope you feel better.

I was just diagnosed with PF. I don't have the typical "getting-out-of-bed" pain. My problem is aggravated by being on my feet all day. My doc suggested anti-inflammatories, 2x each meal. Also, he said stretching was the best "cure" that he's seen. I found an item, Prostretch, that I'm going to get this week. Check out this site...

http://www.power-systems.com/Nav/closeup.aspx?c=12&g=1639&z=1639-1.jpg#

I use superfeet inserts (www.superfeet.com). It has an option to help you find the right insert for you.

HTH
Sue<><

I was just diagnosed with PF. I don't have the typical "getting-out-of-bed" pain. My problem is aggravated by being on my feet all day. My doc suggested anti-inflammatories, 2x each meal. Also, he said stretching was the best "cure" that he's seen. I found an item, Prostretch, that I'm going to get this week. Check out this site...

http://www.power-systems.com/Nav/closeup.aspx?c=12&g=1639&z=1639-1.jpg#

I use superfeet inserts (www.superfeet.com). It has an option to help you find the right insert for you.

HTH
Sue<><

Well, the inserts helped a lot. I did Step N Intervals last night followed by the step section of 10-10-10 and I felt some tenderness towards the end of my workout, but not much. My ligament could be tender from the previous workouts, so I think I'll give myself a break from hi-impact for a week or two and see how it goes. As I mentioned before, there is a big improvement with the insert. I think I know what caused this problem. My left foot is a size 7 1/2, my right 8 1/2. So wearing a sneaker that's a whole size too big on my left foot probably didn't help. I never have pain in the right foot, for obvious reasons!

I can't recommend New Balance shoes for PF high enough. They've saved my feet and they're made in the USA!! I got PF from running, not stepping, but it's the same darn pain. I went out a splurged on NB 1220s and they are awesome. I also have NB ortho inserts for PF - pricey ($40) but worth every penny. No more problems with PF.

Good luck!

DD

try this link:

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?...85131&mesg_id=85131&listing_type=search#85177

If it doesn't work, do search for heel spurs and read my reply. I've had this problem and treated it underthe care of a podiatrist.
Judy
AKA "Likes2bfit"
sport-smiley-009.gif
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif

http://groups.msn.com/CatheAddicts/jafitmamalikes2bfitfamily.msnw?Page=1

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.