P90X: Weights or Bands?

Hey guys, I just got P90X in the mail!!! I can't use it until Christmas though ;(

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you have used the bands instead of weights or along with weights for the workouts? If so, which bands did you get?

Also, how is the body fat tester that beach body sells? Should I look for another brand or just not worry about it? Thanks!

Bummer that you can't use it til Christmas!! That'll be a good start to the New Year though! ;-) I've only used the weights, but my brother has been using the bands and he loves them! (he got the set of heavier bands, I think 20-40 lbs)

I don't have the body fat tester, but I know other people that have recommended it. I might order it though, I don't have one!

Good luck as you get started! Let me know if you have any questions, I'm just starting round 3 on Monday! :)

I'm about to start round 2 of the classic rotation myself. I did round 1 at the beginning of this year with weights and got excellent results. I have never used strictly bands for anything so I am going to give it a shot. I bought a set from fwonline. The bands beachbody sells may be better, I don't know but I paid less then $20 for my set and they should be fine. :) I don't know if the results will be any different using bands vs weights but I guess I'll find out!}(

Well on VF they sold me on the Flowbar - it goes over even the skimpiest door and can be used for pullups and core stuff, and that way you can do the "pullups" without a chinup bar...well, check it out....I sent a letter to the flowbar folks asking for a Christmas sale for all we p90x plus wannabe's come mid December!

Thanks guys! I'll stick with weights for this round and maybe try bands next time.

I actually already bought a pull-up bar (I opted for the door gym because it doesn't screw into the molding). I tried it out today to see if it was a piece of junk or not. Well, it works great, but I suck at pull-ups!!! x( I could only do one, barely. Now, I have never done a pull-up before, but my upper body is relatively strong so I was expecting to do 3-4. Oh well, something to work on.:)

I use weights at home and bands if I'm away from home. I did get a pullup bar and consider that to be an essential to get the best workout possible.

Missy

Hey Swayze! I couldn't any pullups when I started either. Try doing the negatives first. Use a chair to pull yourself up over the bar and then slowly lower yourself down. You'll really feel it! Keep doing them that way until you can't do any more. Do that each set of pullups/ chinups. I was totally amazed that within a few weeks I was able to do them unassisted! Just keep at it!

>Hey Swayze! I couldn't any pullups when I started either.
>Try doing the negatives first. Use a chair to pull yourself
>up over the bar and then slowly lower yourself down. You'll
>really feel it! Keep doing them that way until you can't do
>any more. Do that each set of pullups/ chinups. I was
>totally amazed that within a few weeks I was able to do them
>unassisted! Just keep at it!

Thanks for the tip Jess! I'm going to try this with my next round which starts TOMORROW!}(

>I did get a pullup bar and consider that to be an essential to get
>the best workout possible.
>
>Missy

ITA! I never saw definition in my back like I am getting from pull ups!!!!

No problem!! I'm excited about starting a round w/ you, girl!! You're right, there's nothing like pullups for workin' the back!! I never enjoyed working my back before (remember a poll you posted ages ago about favorite/ least favorite body part to work? Mine was my back!). But now I love it & look forward to the pullups & lawnmowers! :)

Jess,

I've actually created my own X rotation that I will do this time. I came up with a mutant of the classic and lean rotations! LOL Should be interesting! I'll respond to your email soon!:)

I'm doing a Lean double round w/ swimming & running for my tri training. I love Core Syn so I look forward to doing that one once a week! :)

>I'm doing a Lean double round w/ swimming & running for my
>tri training. I love Core Syn so I look forward to doing that
>one once a week! :)

I have Core Syn in my rotation once per week as well so I may pull it out of the recoveries in favor of more yoga. I'm not sure yet...

Sounds like a good rotation! I know you'll keep me posted on how it's going! :) Here's going to be my tri-training hybrid, at least for Phase 1.

Monday ~ Treadmill Run + swim at the Y
Tuesday ~ Outdoor Run + Core Syn
Wednesday ~ Shoulders & Arms + ARX (possibly a run + swim if I can go to the Y)
Thursday ~ Outdoor Run + Yoga
Friday ~ Legs & Back + ARX + (swim either today or Sat)
Saturday ~ Longer outdoor Run + maybe swim
Sunday ~ Rest or StretchX

Hey, Jess!

Just wanted to let you know I started Round 2 of the X today (Classic Rotation). Had a good first day.

Good look with your tri training!

Marcy

Marcy!!! Very cool that you're starting another round also!!! Shoot me a PM or an email if you want! Wendy & I are going to keep tabs on each other too! Good luck, girl!! Day 1 Lean is done for me- 5 miles on the TM (4.25 miles running intervals, .75 mile power incline walk), and 1/2 mile swim. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.