p90x vs sts

kariev

Cathlete
can anyone compare and contrast the two of these workouts and what you liked and disliked with them. also were your results different for each one? ihave sts but not p90x and was just curious.

I finished STS around the middle of November and then I started P90X.

My opinion on these workouts are:

STS has more variety in it. The workouts are fun and each phase does a little something different to your body. It tests your strengths, especially. You can do any cardio workout you want on off days and now with STS Shock Cardio, you can easily add those in to the rotation. I never got tired doing this workout and looked forward to each and every one of them. I had a lot of fun with this.

P90X, although a very good workout program, gets boring after you do about 5 to 6 weeks into it. The cardio workouts (two of them) are the same throughout the entire 12 week rotation. This got really mundane for me. This rotation goes back to the classic workouts people did before machines. Lots of pullups, chins, pushups, etc. I liked each different weight training workout, though, and those didn't seem to get old. However, my body can only take so many pullups and that is what made me stop after my 6th week. Tony is a fabulous coach and his workouts are fun, but I think he could have done a few more cardio workouts and at least one more leg workout. There is only 1 leg workout with this rotation.

If your question is which is a better rotation, STS wins hands down. No questions in my mind. Cathe is a genious and she put this rotation together like a true pro. I got more results from STS, but in my case that isn't fair to say because I never finished P90X. Although I think that speaks for itself as well.

Debbie, My thoughts exactly.

I just finished up my second time through STS and am looking forward to my 3rd. I'll be hard pressed to repeat P90X to completion. Great program, I just got bored repeating the workouts so often.

Do you think its worth it to have P90X to do the workouts as part of a different rotation, say alternating with other cardio?

Hi Jacmar-

Yes, if you have the budget for it. I purchased P90x when it first came out and like the previous posters had a hard time following the rotation for 12 weeks.. I love the upper body work in P90x, but the cardio and leg workouts were lacking ( imho.). I got amazing results in my back, bis, and tris particularly!

Most of the time, I go to a gym for my weight training, but when I'm home, one of the P90x upperbody workouts is what I reach for most often. ( That being said, I didn't get the STS series from Cathe, so I don't know if I would use that over P90x in this situation.)

Hope that helps! Lynn M.

I totally hated P90X and quit the rotation after a few weeks. Like Debbie said it gets boring. I looooove STS!!

I would have to agree with what everyone else said. However in all honesty, . .and I'm a Cathe girl through and through I didn't like either all that much. If I had to pick hands down I'd pick Cathe. I really did not like Tony as an instructor. What I didn't like about STS is that there was so much prep and equipment I have very limited space to work out. You also HAVE to find your 1 rep max, . .if you don't then it will be to easy or to hard for you. P90x is the opposite and does not require that much set up or equipment but I couldn't stand Tony for longer than 5 minutes. I found him arrogant BUT that is so just my own opinion. You may like him. I always go back to Cathe's Gym Style series and Muscle Max. Great music, challenging moves, they work! Whatever you decide have fun and sweat on!

Thanks again

I most likely will not do the rotation as intended. The Yoga X and Stretch X look great.

There are many threads on the Cathe forums that pose your same question. Do a search and you will see many good post that compare and contrast the two workouts

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.